Shattered Rift

Mansionverse Role Play

ooc| This role play is based on The Mansion story. The Mansion (through Episode 4) is considered canon to this role play. Additional episodes may or may not be considered canonical depending on how the role play goes.

Your characters should be a representation of your Mansionverse persona. Other characters are rare in The Mansion (such as Sparkbot, who I will be portraying). (Edit: I will be bringing Rift in later.) If you would like to portray a different character from your Mansionverse persona, please discuss it with me first. (As a point of clarification, members who are not included in The Mansion are allowed in this role play.)

Proper literacy is expected. In-character and out-of-character comments should be clearly distinguished from each other. Power playing (controlling someone else's character) is generally disallowed. I don't expect god-moding to be a problem in this role play. I think that covers the basics. I'll add more if needed.

Edit: Everyone is welcome to simply drop into or out of the role play at any given time. This is all pretty laid back. So if you just want to be hanging out in Random Chat eating something, go for it. The role play's whatever you make of it, and if you're interested in more I'll add things going on in your vicinity for you to become involved with.

---

bic| Sparkbot stood behind the last row as the speech concluded. Shattered Rift had said nothing to him about the relics, but this Competition—Sparkbot assumed it was a Competition, and he had no other way to describe it—was different from the Spark Game Competitions of the Renaissance Era. Those Competitions had required Sparkbot's assistance during the testing stages, but this one either required no testing or the testing had not included Sparkbot. The former was more probable: there were no Staff members, so Shattered Rift had no one to help him test anything besides Sparkbot.

Yet Shattered Rift had delegated a some testing to the members in the announcement. 'Test new features,' he had said. However, that made no sense to Sparkbot. Every new feature was fully functional, so far as he was aware. Perhaps Shattered Rift meant that he would release new features? The probability of that was unlikely: the new software generating the Mansion was supposed to include a sufficient number of functional features.

Sparkbot watched as Shattered Rift disappeared down the hall. For approximately two seconds, Sparkbot considered following. He chose not to, because Shattered Rift had already explained that each of his projects—Sparkverse stories, SparkWiki, and SparkComic—were all projects that could be done alone. Nebiros was essential to SparkComic. The members could assist with SparkWiki. Sparkbot couldn't assist with any of them, as far as he knew. So he stayed with the members, mechanically blinking as he watched excitement sweep across the tower.

---

Edit: For reference, the layout of the Mansion is included here.

Whenever a member registers and first logs into Sparkbomb, they appear inside the front gate (which is always closed, though the implication is meant to be that the member did enter from the gate and that the gate is unlocked, even though it can't actually be opened). There is a path that leads to the front doors of the Mansion, which lead into the Parlor (see: Episode 1.) The Mansion grounds are blocked off at the corners, by the base of the towers, so the sides and back of the Mansion are currently inaccessible.

The Mansion faces east. I typically describe the Mansion by its “left and right” halves, because it's easier to mentally visualize the Mansion with the Parlor at the bottom-center. Technically this is the eastern center. Keep this in mind as I list directional locations.

1st Floor

Parlor (East, with staircase to 2nd Floor Parlor)

General Discussion Forum (Southeast)

General Discussion Lounge (Southeast corner, with staircase to 2nd floor Southeast Member Lounge)

Werewolf Forum (Southwest)

Werewolf Lounge (Southwest corner, with staircase to 2nd floor Southwest Member Lounge)

Random Chat / Cafeteria (West)

Note: The northern half of the 1st Floor is currently inaccessible. A hallway runs from the Parlor to the General Discussion Lounge, from the General Discussion Lounge to the Werewolf Lounge, and from the Werewolf Lounge to Random Chat. There are doors in the Parlor that lead directly into Random Chat.

2nd Floor

Parlor (with staircase to 1st Floor Parlor)

Member Quarters (These are small rooms that members may register, measuring 2 meters x 2 meters plus a 1 meter deep x 2 meter wide closet. These rooms go along each wall of the Mansion, and there are also rooms that more towards the center of the floor. Due to the Towers, there are no corner rooms.)

Southeast Member Lounge (This is the member lounge that is directly beneath the tower, with staircase to General Lounge and staircase to Southeast Tower)

East-Southeast Member Lounge (Star and Cel are in the hallway between the Southeast Member Lounge and the East-Southeast Member Lounge)

South Member Lounge
Southwest Member Lounge (with stairway to Werewolf Lounge and staircase to Southwest Tower; note: Southwest Tower is currently forbidden)

*West Member Lounge (This lounge is directly behind the parlor and above Random Chat/Cafeteria: I'm still determining Random Chat's exact layout, so a staircase may ultimately be added connecting the two)

Note: The northern half of the 2nd Floor is currently inaccessible, but its layout mirrors that of the southern half. Member quarters may be registered in the northern half but are currently inaccessible. The hallways are similar to those on the 1st Floor. There's a hallway going from the Parlor to the East-Southeast member Lounge to the Southeast Member Lounge, from the Southeast Member Lounge to the Southern Member Lounge to the Southwest Member Lounge, and from the Southwest Member Lounge to the West Member Lounge. There are probably also hallways going through the central portion of the 2nd Floor.

*Due to mistakes I made in descriptions, there may also be a Central Southern Lounge in the middle of the floor and a West-Southwest Lounge. Both of these are currently waiting for my final decision.

3rd Floor

Southeast Tower (This is the tower in Episode 4 and where the role play started, with staircase to Southeast Member Lounge and staircase to Southeast Tower Balcony)

Note: The other three Towers are currently inaccessible. There is a hallway leaving the Southeast Tower, but it is inaccessible.

4th Floor

Southeast Tower Balcony (This is the balcony in Episode 4 where the role play started, with staircase to Southeast Tower)

Note: The other three Tower Balconies are currently inaccessible. Technically, each balcony is an extension of the 3rd Floor, but the Towers are tall enough that they're displayed as a 4th Floor on the User VI's.

Traj's eyes - greenish gray, for the moment - glowed with excitement. There was nothing he liked better than a treasure hunt. He immediately got up and left the audience chamber - Rift wouldn't be so silly as to hide any of these "relics", whatever they were, in the same place he announced the competition itself. No, they had to be hidden elsewhere. But where?

Traj mentally reviewed his inner map of the mansion. Was it too obvious to hide a werewolf-themed relic in the Werewolf Games room? Perhaps, but then again, it wasn't likely anyone else would have gotten there before him. Plus, it was as good a place to start as any.

His inner rambling had brought him to the top of the stairs leading down to the first floor. Traj eyed the steps with disfavor. Much too slow, he thought to himself, lips twisting in a wry grin. The banister would be much faster - and much more fun, provided he didn't fall off backward. That had only happened once, though Traj had the scar on his chin to show it. Hard to have catlike reflexes at age eleven, Traj chuckled to himself, seating himself on the banister and letting gravity take over.

He leapt from the banister near the end of the line and rolled as he hit the ground, coming up in a jog. Now that no one could see him, Traj sped up his pace - he did want to be the first one there, after all. He turned left down the hallway leading to Werewolf Games, skidded to a stop in front of the door, and burst inside, his glance immediately taking in the - thankfully empty - room.

Awesome. No one's here. Now where to start looking?

ooc| A few things. First, the relics will be found in The Mansion, so even if someone figures out where I've hidden one or more of them, they won't be found in this role play. Unless everyone wants to diverge from The Mansion's storyline, but... even if that was decided, I would probably change their appearances, locations, and purposes. (I've figured out most of these things, though some of them are still being finalized.)

Second thing, I just realized that Sparkbot should be thinking about members by their full names. I'll be editing my first post to have Sparkbot thinking of Rift's full name. A minor detail, sure, but I want the practice writing in Sparkbot's POV.

Lastly, I'm going to be scrambling to remember which forums and lounges and such should be accessible at this point in time. It's likely that a few of the places you'll have access to here (the cafeteria, better known as Random Chat) aren't yet accessible in The Mansion.

---

bic| Sparkbot wondered where Trajectory was headed. The probability he had correctly identified the location of one of the relics was highly unlikely. This thought raised another question in Sparkbot's mind. Were all of the relics currently available to be found? How many were there? 'A few' suggested between three and eight by Sparkbot's definition, but did his definition match Shattered Rift's? And what wishes could they grant? Sparkbot had no wish, at least not in a sense of desiring something unlikely to be obtained or occur. He simply had a goal. His purpose was to assist Shattered Rift.

The Werewolf Forum stood alongside General Discussion, and a set of double doors connected the two. Traj's approach caused them to open automatically, a feature that could be disabled during a Werewolf game to prevent non-players from interfering and dead players from leaving. A long, rectangular table filled much of the room, and subtle lines in its design hinted at the option to take it apart and reposition smaller tables if a game required. Two dozen leather chairs surrounded it, all looking comfortably inviting. Each seat was accompanied by a tablet built into the table for the purpose of submitting powers and allowing silent communication between players. On the sides of the room stood a handful of screens that could serve as partitions as well as tall plants that could also add to the atmosphere. The screens and plants suggested that the room had been prepared in a hurry, and it seemed unlikely that Rift had finished with it and had merely included the necessities he could remember and could fill it with the things he had forgotten later. Windows filled the southern wall, showing the side of the Mansion grounds and allowing the exterior lighting to set the mood for games. Outside, twilight was continuing towards dusk. The northern wall had only a single decoration, a jeweled painting of an Azure Optic Werewolf with sapphires scattered along his fur, diamonds at each claw, rubies for eyes, and a jade set in the center of its forehead like an all-seeing eye.

Celairiel stood by her seat, torn between excitement for the treasure hunt and her total loss as to where in this new place to go. Bouncing slightly on the balls of her feet, she watched as the members around her frantically tore apart the entire room. If there was anything in the room, she was sure she wouldn't be the first to find it. The main floor would take maybe ten minutes, the balcony not much longer.

And yet she had no idea where else relics might be hidden. 

Celairiel's first instinct, to find someone friendly and follow them, was stymied by the intense focus of everyone around her. The only person not occupied by the search wasn't exactly a person. Well, he seemed friendly enough anyhow.

"Excuse me, Sparkbot. Is there a map I could use?"

Sparkbot's expression became a smile at Celairiel's approach. Friendliness was automatic for him, a part of his humanity program, and the members usually responded well to it. “Hello, Celairiel,” Sparkbot said. The monotone calm of his voice was incongruent with the expression he wore. “Members can summon a map of the Mansion at any time via the map button in the upper-right of the interface.” It was a fact that would have been obvious to any long-time member, but neither Sparkbot's voice nor his expression suggested disdain or annoyance at needing to say something obvious. “Currently, only three forums are accessible: General Discussion, Werewolf, and Random Chat. The General Discussion and Werewolf forums have accessible lounges. Currently, only six member lounges are accessible. Currently, only this tower is accessible.” It was an unnecessary level of specification, but Sparkbot thought there was a high probability that a given member would be interested in knowing which parts of the Mansion had been reopened.

The map showed the Mansion and its grounds, but while the grounds stretched out behind the Mansion, a red X marked them as being inaccessible. Like Sparkbot had said, the General Discussion and Werewolf forums, both adjacent on the left-hand side of the Mansion, were accessible, as well as Random Chat, which was behind the Parlor. The second floor showed that, like with the first floor, the left-hand side of the Mansion was accessible while the right-hand side wasn't. The area above Random Chat was also blocked off, leaving only two paths to access Random Chat from the first floor: either from the Parlor or the hallway that led to the Werewolf forum and its lounge. Six lounges were accessible on the second floor, including the one directly below the tower. Everyone, including Celairiel, had passed through that lounge on their way to the tower. This tower was the only part of the third floor that was currently accessible. For some reason the tower two floors above the Werewolf Lounge was still forbidden.

The room was, in fact empty. Traj went ahead and shut the door behind him - perhaps the others would pass this room by, seeing the door shut. That done, he turned to the painting on the north wall.

Easily the most striking feature of the room, the jeweled wolf seemed to beckon him closer with his eyes. Traj rested both hands on the wall on either side of the painting and raised himself up, bare toes pushing into the carpet as he brought his face close to the painted face of the werewolf. He wasn't sure what tribe this wolf was from, but the abundance of sapphires made him think it might be an Azure Optics.

Traj smiled to himself. That was his favorite tribe to read about - perhaps it was a sign? He ran his hands slowly along the sides of the painting, testing to see if it would come away from the wall. Perhaps there was a secret hidden here?

A closer visual inspection revealed nothing unusual about the painting. Besides the jewels, the werewolf was in the same style as the Amethyst Baron Exzeir, an indication that this painting had been drawn by Nebiros as well. There was nothing unusual as Traj ran his fingers along its edges, and it freely came loose from the wall into his hands. Nor did anything seem to be unusual about the part of the wall where the painting had been except that there was no sign of how the painting had been held in place. There was no nail or ridge or anything else that the painting had been hanging from, and the back of the painting itself was a flat surface with no apparent method of hanging it to or having it hung from anything.

Arms folded and resting on the balcony's railing, chin and cheek nestled into the crook of her elbow, Liz listened to Rift's speech with disinterest. If Rift mentioned anything of interest Nebiros's recording would allow her to revisit the material at her leisure. More importantly, closing her eyes made the pounding headache she'd been nursing since the morning seem mildly more bearable. She'd nearly drifted off when another speaker chimed in, catching her attention.

You know they don't want us back.

The voice was a few notes lower than her own, with a growling undertone that made the hair on the back of her neck stand on end. Liz's head snapped up and her golden eyes went wide as she scanned the crowd below for the source. The sudden evaporation of her headache went unnoticed.

What are we good for? Causing trouble, and drama. He doesn't want us backYou don't want me back.

Liz froze. 

You really thought I was gone.

The voice chuckled, and it was a rich and smoky laugh. Liz realized with horror that she'd laughed, not just inside her head but outside. Worse, it had felt natural. Not that someone else had used her lungs and throat -- the action was hers. 

Rift had stopped speaking, and she debated using the silence as an opportunity to leave. 

"I never mourned you." She whispered to herself as Rift started speaking again. Her voice was too soft (she hoped) to be overheard by Nebiros, and the rest stood too far away to eavesdrop. Thinking in her head had never been an effective way to communicate with the other - her thoughts were easily bent, and too often she found herself replying with something entirely different than she'd intended. She felt her fingers tighten on the railing and her shoulders flex and stretch against the wool of her coat. 

Wishes?

Liz's eyebrows pinched together as both minds finished parsing the end of the speech they'd only been half-listening to. Absent-mindedly she raised her right hand to her bosom, pinching the pendant of her necklace between forefinger and thumb and rubbing the steel's smooth surface. Odd that she'd chosen to wear the piece of jewelry on this day. It made for an effective worry-stone, though. She'd clipped her nails unchewably short the day prior, and the mansion seemed to have a distinct lack of gum.

The sudden buzz of confused muttering followed by the mass exodus from the room snapped Liz out of her trance. Something about the silence in her head told her that the voice had departed. She knew the other would come back, as she'd always done before the five year silence now just broken. The headache, thankfully, remained gone. The crowd's departure made the room seem emptier than before they'd arrived and quietly Liz wondered if any of the so-called 'relics' were hidden just beneath their noses. It would be the sort of thing Rift would do, in her opinion. And her opinion (in her opinion) was almost always right.

Sparing a respectful nod of parting for Nebiros, she glided over to the first feature that caught her eye - the door-like impression in the window. It seemed like a good start, and she'd been pondering the purpose of that bit of architecture since she'd arrived on the balcony. Careful with how much pressure she applied, Liz pressed her fingers around what looked to be the seam, and tried what she thought possibly looked like the handle. Wary of the winds that existed on the 4th floor as opposed to the ground her actions were slow and deliberate, calibrated to hopefully open the door no more than a few inches, to see what was on the other side. 

Traj blinked.

Hmm.

Unsure if it would stay, Traj placed the painting back against the wall where it had... stuck, for lack of a better term, since it apparently hadn't been hanging. The painting itself, while beautiful, hadn't revealed any secrets to him, but that wasn't any reason to just leave it on the floor.

That done, he turned his attention to the rest of the room. There was a chair at the head of the large table - it was likely where a game's MC would sit. Traj elected to search there next. Perhaps there had been a clue placed where an MC would see it? He seated himself in the chair and began running his fingers along the sides and bottom of the chair itself. He made sure not to neglect the table, either, peering swiftly under the edge to make sure nothing had been stuck to the bottom (though he doubted Rift would hide anything in such a patently obvious place, it would have nagged at him until he checked it anyway.)

That done, Traj sat back, surveying the room from an MC's point of view. Perhaps that would reveal something.

During Rift's announcement, Star had shifted around to cross one leg over the over, leaning her elbow on the arm of the couch and propping her cheek up against her hand as she absently picked at the bottom of the multicolored sock of her foot.

Her hazel eyes remained fixed on Rift as he mentioned the treasure, but she could feel the excitement of the room rise around her.

ERMAHGERD TRESR HNT

She snorted a chuckle of laughter through her nose at the thought, and was not surprised to see Traj dash out of the room first as soon as the announcement finished--he had been the one exuding the largest amount of interest at the reveal and had been chomping at the bit to get out of there--remaining where she was seated as some of the other members began tearing apart the room. An amusing sight to be sure, and the crinkling around her eyes behind the black-rimmed glasses betrayed her mirth even though her mouth upwards only moved slightly.

She rubbed her other hand underneath her glasses at her eye as it twitched, dropping the expression.

Not enough sleep. Too much to do though.

Celairiel's approaching of Sparkbot perked her attention away from her scattered thoughts. Star had been thinking of doing just the same thing as she. Her excursions in The Mansion before the New Age were...limited, to say the least, having mainly been drawn in for the Werewolf at Traj's behest, and she found that Celairiel's quest for information on the floor plan mirrored her own.

Star stood up, planning on joining Celairiel and Sparkbot, but made a quick glance down at the floor. Her usual method of travel involved the mismatched socks peeking out from her dark pants and she wiggled her toes. Such a method would only be useful if the entire Mansion was tiled.

((OOC: Totes can't find if it was mentioned that this lounge had tiled floor, otherwise I would have just had myself walk/slide accordingly xD))

Celairiel replaced the cushion in the nearest chair and sat down to explore the interface. She'd assumed these were simply signs proclaiming identity, but it seemed to be much more interactive than that. Before pulling up the map, she played around with PMs, sending Rift a random string of emotionally confused smilies, making a list of songs she wanted to buy on the little notes page, and scrolling through the status updates a few other members had taken the time to post - entirely comprised of excited exclamations regarding the hunt.

She pulled up the map next, pleased to find that the pen feature allowed her to mark on it. After checking off the current lounge, she began to poke at buttons and the map itself, wondering what all she could learn from it. When she clicked on a room, a list of names appeared next to it, proclaiming who was there. By clicking through rooms she discovered the guy who ran out after Rift was in the Werewolf forum and was named Trajectory. Equally noticeable was Rift's absence from any of the publicly accessible rooms. She hadn't really expected him to have any last minute touches to take care of, but she'd hoped that maybe he would go somewhere to watch the search. Then again, who was to say a forbidden area didn't have a view. Or that Rift couldn't hide his location. Celairiel decided she'd ask if anyone knew how to remove their name from the map, even temporarily. That could be useful.

As the members started streaming out, Celairiel stood up, hoping to catch one of the people she'd met earlier. Unfortunately, although Kirby was easily among the tallest in the room, she couldn't see him, Nebiros, or Bed. She did however see a girl in socks standing nearby. Shrugging internally, Celairiel decided she might as well meet another new person. Everyone seemed friendly, and she wanted to get to know them all anyways. She smiled and walked over. 

"Hi, I'm Celairiel!"

ooc| Star, I haven't specified anywhere... or completely figured it out. For the time being, I'll say that the lounges, parlor, and tower are all tiled. The forums (except Random Chat) are carpeted. This is subject to change... I'm most uncertain about the lounges at the moment. Oh! Given the customization aspect of things, I assume you'll be petitioning for every room to be tiled. I'm going to try to ease into the process of how to customize things (or see how much can be figured out naturally), but you're also free to ask Sparkbot about it.

Traj, I'm going to skip over the bit about surveying the room from the MC's seat for the moment. I think something else in your search might catch your attention first. If not, I can go back to that and let you know what you see.

Everyone, I'm trying to determine how I came up with thirteen lounges when I wrote Episode 4. My personal map of the Mansion is somewhat incomplete, and I'm currently counting fifteen (or thinking fifteen is more accurate to what I'm looking at). I know thirteen sounded right while I was typing it up. I'll definitely finalize this at some point and correct it both here and in The Mansion (probably using the excuse that Rift misspoke or something). So the “six” I mentioned in response to Cel looking at the map may be incorrect.

There are the four forum lounges (two of which are currently inaccessible), the four member lounges directly above them, two member lounges on the front side of the Mansion (one of which is inaccessible), and one directly above Random Chat (that's currently inaccessible). That's eleven. There are two likely spots for the remaining lounges (which will be mirrored on each half of the floor), and I need to figure out which one I was thinking about when I wrote Episode 4. All of the spots I just mentioned definitely exist, though, and all of them are accessible in the left-hand side of the Mansion (looking at it head-on).

I'm also going to be using “left-hand” and “right-hand” side when describing the layout of the Mansion itself. The Mansion faces east, but I'm used to thinking about the Mansion with the front doors and the parlor at the bottom-center. I realize that makes it a bit confusing, but it might clear a things up a bit more for people.

---

bic| The window was sturdy to Liz's touch, including along the seam where a rectangular portion was carved out in about the right size for a door. No particular point of contact made it budge, however, nor was any part of the seam different from any other part that she could tell. That was just as true at waist level where a door handled would have been if it was an ordinary door. The door, if it was a door, remained unmoved.

Traj put the painting against the wall where it had been, and it held in place. The effect was almost magnetic, except that the force keeping the painting up hadn't been noticeable when removing the painting and nor was it noticeable now. Not by touch, at least. He could certainly see the effect.

The MC's Chair was designed similarly to those the players would use. There was nothing special about the chair of itself, nothing unusual as Traj ran his fingers along the sides and bottom of it. Whatever mechanism was designed for running Werewolf games, it might be contained in the tablet, currently powered off like the others, on the table in front of him.

Nothing had been stuck to the bottom of the table, but it was unusually dark beneath it. Somehow the light of the room was failing to penetrate it properly. In fact, looking under the table, it was impossible to see all the way beneath it. Something must have been blocking his view, because he couldn't see light illuminating the other end.

“Hello, TheLastStarMaker,” Sparkbot said, grateful to have another member join him. He had stood, ever patient, while Celairiel replaced the cushion and began to play with the settings.

((OOC: Hmmmm, little bit of me being in two places at once here. I'm gonna go with speaking to Cel first since she approached me before I actually moved?))

"Hey, Celariel!" Star chewed a bit on the name as she spoke it, glancing up to see how exactly that one was spelled before smiling.

"I'm-" Star let her eyes briefly squeeze shut as the smile on her face took a more side-wise form at the thought of using her full username.

"Just call me Star." She gave a light laugh, "It'll be easier that way, trust me."

"We should check the place out together if you like. You're pretty new right? I've never explored The Mansion before really so-" Star smacked her forehead, "Jus'sec, I gotta ask Sparkbot something first before I go anywhere."

Star slid across the tile floor right up to Sparkbot, stopping short of running into him and looking up when she got her feet back under her to make an exasperated noise of disapproval at his greeting.

"I've told you Sparky, just call me 'Star.'" She resisted rolling her eyes, but the desire was there.

Maybe she should have changed her username to the one word most of the folks around here referred to her as anyway. At least Sparkbot wasn't forced to recite the entirety of the true form of the title she had claimed for herself years ago anymore. She'd gotten really tired of hearing "The Last of the Star Makers" from him, and that had only been what, the once that they'd held conversation before? She'd gotten a little too excited when she found out that the old Mansion allowed the full name since there was no other account she'd held that could do so. She'd quickly found out why other accounts had a letter limit that forced her to shorten it.

"I wasn't sure how much of the Mansion was tiled, so I wanted to ask if there was some sort of setting that could automatically...I dunno, change the flooring around me as I walked in, say, a ten foot radius out from my feet? One that would have fast enough programming to shift with me even it if I took a running start and wanted to slide down any long hallways?" She shifted her glasses farther up her nose with a finger.

OOC: I know this is putting you in two places at once again, but I don't want to delay things for you if you want to post again before I get another chance to get online. Let your chat with Sparkbot take as long as you need. :)

"Sure," Celairiel got in just before Star remembered her question for Sparkbot.

While the other two were talking, she adjusted the hood on the white sweater lining her jacket. Everything else about the outfit stayed blessedly in place here in the Mansion, the hood still had it's tendency to scrunch up in the back.  

As Star turned back from the Bot, Celairiel turned her interface so they could both see the same view. "The halls look empty. Maybe we could start there? The list of current users in the room says there are still a couple girls here. They'll probably cover the balcony without needing our help. That's my first thought, but I'll follow your lead. "

Her suggestions voiced, Celairiel followed the other woman and tried to get an idea of what she was like. The impression Star gave off was fun and open. Cel didn't think she'd feel uncomfortable asking newbie questions.

"You said you've never explored much yourself. What do you normally do here? Do you know a lot of the other members? Oh, and feel free to shorten my name, too. People always seem to have trouble with the pronounciation, but I love it anyways. Riel, Cel, pretty much whatever."

ooc| My bad. I misread and thought Star had joined Sparkbot and Cel, not that Cel had walked over to Star.

bic| Sparkbot was unfazed by the near collision with TheLastStarMaker. He had bumped into a member or two (dozen) during his time, and although he had never seen one of them bump into another, he determined that he must have simply missed the countless times this must happen.

Sparkbot apologizes to TheLastStarMaker,” Sparkbot said. There was nothing in his voice to suggest sarcasm or rude intentions by using her full username even now, but to be safe he decided to elaborate. “Sparkbot does not understand nicknames. What if another member joined Sparkbomb whose name also included the word star? For example, Sparkbot has seen the confusion caused by multiple members having the word red in their username.” Sparkbot felt confident that TheLastStarMaker would understand and recognize the need to be referred to by her full username.

A program such as the one you're describing would only be possible for an administrator,” Sparkbot said. “Shattered Rift has allowed customization of several of the rooms in the Mansion, and the interface may allow tiled floor.” Taking initiative, Sparkbot waved his hand over a spot of air between himself and TheLastStarMaker. Two screens appeared, showing the floor and balcony of the tower, and each piece of furniture was illuminated to emphasize its presence. Several settings ran along the side. “No single member can enforce significant adjustments,” Sparkbot explained, assuming that TheLastStarMaker would understand what was and wasn't possible. Several members had shifted the positions of their seats during the announcement, some were turning over chairs even as they spoke to get a look at the bottom of them, and Celairiel had taken a cushion a fair distance with her. “The flooring is one of the settings. Tile and carpet are the only two choices currently. Shattered Rift has created the default settings, but an ongoing poll allows for significant adjustments.”

Traj blinked. Now that was interesting.

Hmm. This is going to be undignified.

Before delving into the unknown, however, in order to make sure he'd remain uninterrupted, Traj called up his own map of the Mansion to make sure no one was headed in this direction. According to what he saw, no one was - but he made a face when he saw his own clearly labeled name marked down under "Werewolf Games" for everyone to see. Thinking for a moment, he quickly accessed the sign-in page and checked "Sign in as Anonymous". Rechecking the map, Traj saw that his name had disappeared. Well, that was a little better.

Now about that shadow... Traj slipped out of the MC's chair onto the floor, crawling under the table entirely. Careful not to bump his head, he started moving toward whatever was blocking his vision.

Edit: [OIC] Added a word. Should be "remain uninterrupted" instead of "be interrupted". [/OIC]

Edited by Trajectory

One of Star's eyebrows quirked slightly at the explanation Sparkbot gave her as to her username. She was fairly certain it was the same response he always gave, and a small, mischevious part of her wanted to venture into reprogramming the bot to just call her 'Star.' 

"So..." She moved on to the subject of the tile, making sure she understood, "...I can vote that all rooms be made tile. If that's the case...then I wanna do that."

Traj's movements were not met by any obstacle, nor even any of the likely supports for the table. If something was holding it up, it wasn't on this side of the table. But the lack of touching anything became more and more unlikely with each inch. Suddenly, as Traj moved a bit farther, the light suddenly reappeared, silhouetting a chair ahead. And behind him all had become darkness.

Sparkbot took TheLastStarMaker's silence for agreement. He had succeeded in convincing her of the obvious logical truth. “That is correct,” he said. His gaze lowered back to the screens opened between them. Pointing, he indicated the buttons to press to vote for tile to continue being used in the tower. “Each room is determined individually. TheLastStarMaker will need to repeat the process for each room.”

Traj's subsequent eyebrow raise was almost comic. That was interesting. He pulled his head back through the zone of darkness to gauge its width and pressed his hand to the underside of the table to see if it connected in any way. Was this force holding it up? Did this table even have legs? Was he wasting his time with messing with the mechanics of the mansion rather than relic hunting?

Traj didn't know. First he needed to ascertain if this strange force was hiding anything. He set to his examination with a will.

Traj quickly discovered that there was an exact point, perhaps a centimeter, where the darkness shifted. A few more moments of testing it revealed that the darkness was centered around each seat. There was no physical barrier, but someone looking beneath the table could only see into their own section of it. If someone seated looked down, or under the table, they would see their own feet, but they wouldn't see anyone else's. Nor would they see anything that was happening in a section that wasn't their own. A complete investigation revealed that the same gravity defiance that held the painting up was also holding the table suspended in mid-air. Checking every section individually took time, but there was nothing hidden in any of them.

Emerging from under the table, Traj reseated himself in the MC's chair and sat back, deep in thought. The personal darkness for each seat was likely an anti-cheating mechanism of some kind, which was interesting enough, but wasn't helping him with his current quest. The legless table was also intriguing, but in the same unhelpful fashion.

Traj surveyed the room from the chair once more and turned his attention to the MC tablet. He'd used it himself recently, but perhaps there was some hidden functionality that would be of use - after all, Rift himself had used it recently.

[OIC] Edit: supposed to be "legless", not "levels". Autocorrect fail. [/OIC]

Edited by Trajectory

ooc| Remember, this is still technically the first day of the revived Sparkbomb. The Mansion's timeline is months behind the real timeline, and not everything that happens on the site/forum happens in The Mansion. I try to include them as I can, but it's not always possible. Point being, no one has hosted a Werewolf game in The Mansion in half a year or so. Presumably, Traj will be hosting the first game (as you did on Sparkbomb), followed by Star, etc.

bic| The jeweled painting stared back at Traj, much as the wall and the other chairs did. Nothing about the MC's perspective offered any additional insight. The tablet loaded up easily, and it was rife with dozens of features. Its roles section was familiar while also being completely redesigned. Roles were based much more strongly around powers now, and the powers section offered the real flexibility. More interesting to Traj's immediate train of thought were the settings that could be applied to the table and room. The table could split apart, becoming a set of desks that could be moved and arranged throughout the room in any manner the MC desired. Lighting was fully customizable, both from the lights inside the room to the way a variety of curtain arrangements could be made to cover the windows. It turned out that the darkness beneath the table was a default setting. Light could pass beneath the table normally, or it could even be made to come from the bottom of the table or the floor. It was even possible to have legs come from the bottom of the table to offer a partial or total obstruction. Rift had evidently considered dozens of possibilities, and there were over a hundred, maybe a thousand, possibilities for Werewolf.

[OIC] That's right. My bad. [/OIC]

Traj sat back in the chair, eyes wide. Rift had really gone all out on the customizable features.

Then his eyes narrowed in thought. At present there didn't appear to be anything in this room, with the present configuration. However, it might be that something would reveal itself if he changed things up.

Traj leaned forward, intent on the keypad in front of him. Tapping away busily, the first thing he meddled with was the room's lighting, cycling slowly through the available options and taking time to view the room after each change, hoping something would show up.

Star nodded her thanks to Sparkbot for his assistance before lifting an eyebrow slyly.

"There's no chance you were programmed with some hints for finding the relics for those that ask, is there?"

Liz clicked her tongue in frustration and squatted down onto her heels to think. For good measure she ran her fingers over the seam again, knowing it wouldn't yield, but paying greater attention as to how it didn't yield. The 'door' was held in place somehow, whether by hinges, pressure, or a forcefield. She didn't put it past the mansion's ability to hide some complex mechanism for opening within the otherwise transparent window, but perhaps her touch could provide some insight. A bit of force here, a gentle press there, with her eyes shut, and the background noise driven away by her humming tunelessly. 

Satisfied with her inspection Liz stood again. "Maybe there's some sort of operation elsewhere?," she mused to herself quietly, wandering to the left and then to the right. Her gaze swept the window, the floor, the ceiling, and where each of the three met the other. Even the tiles didn't escape her notice as she searched for some incongruity, something out of place, something indicative of a secret.