Shattered Rift

Mansionverse Role Play

Star realized after coming into the room exactly how torn apart it had gotten. And likely in a rather short amount of time. The thought amused her.

"Hey, does anyone know if Rift was planning a party for the grand reopening of Sparkbomb? Sparky?" The expression on Star's face indicated that, where Rift not planning one, she already had ideas in the works.

Cel righted the chairs she'd crashed into during her escape from Bed, subconsciously leaving the pictures for last, just in case. "A party? Cool idea! Even if he did plan something, we could always just sort of merge them. What were you thinking?" The tone of the question made it clear that Star was certainly thinking something fun. 

"Weeeell," Star started, "I'm sure somebody will put together an All-Stars game this summer. Which will be celebration enough. And if we wanted a more traditional party, we could just all get together and eat and drink stuff from the caf. Maybe have music playing. Dance. Get some board games going. What I was really thinking, though," Here her expression became more mischievous, "Is that I never got to try out the paintball system that was set up on the old Sparkbomb. Maybe Rift could figure out a way to enable it for a day and turn the Mansion into a colorful war-zone."

"Paintball indoors?! That sounds a bit dangerous. But if we can't get hurt here, it would be amazing." Cel grinned. "We could play capture the flag! But that sounds like we have to get Rift involved. Is there anything we could do without him? Or while waiting for him? Maybe hunt down who else is in the Mansion?"

ooc: Rift, is this still the same day? Or what? I know you're busy not dying still, but... Yeah. And Bed, I'll figure out where I am. Star is dead too, so we should be able to play. :) 

bic:

Cel nodded. "I just really don't know what to do from here."

ooc| Accelerating to the next day might be a good idea. I know that Liz and Traj still want it to be the current night for their search, but... it would probably be good to just move on to the following day considering how long it's been since people were active in this role play.

Blacjak woke up to the strangest noise. He had been relaxing in his personal room, having set it up earlier last night, and ended up crashing while still logged in. He could feel something push off from his chest and instinctively leaped up to a crouching position ready to pounce. However, he saw nothing.

"QUACK!"

You've got to be kidding me...

Blacjak looked up towards the noise to see what appeared to be a small duckling with a black mask tied around his fluffy head... perched in the rope webbing he had strung across the ceiling.

"What?"

"QUACK!"

Blacjak sighed, "Well I see you have good taste, but we're gonna have to get you back to your mama."

He jumped up from the makeshift bed he'd made out of his couch and motioned to the duckling.

"Well come on then"

"QUACK!"

The duckling flittered down in an awkward clumsy backflip to land on Blacjak's shoulder. He scratched the duckling's belly and opened the door.

They were everywhere. Ducklings off all shapes and sizes flooded the mansion, each one with their own distinct markings. One even appeared to have a monkey's tail! Just a few doors down the hall a figure was stuck seemingly covered in the adorable things. Blacjak rushed over and pulled them out.

With a giggle he exclaimed, "You alright?"

Clucky had to act fast. He wasn't sure exactly what ducklings ate, but swarms of any kind were bad business. His stash should be safe inside the Barrel of Protection but you can never to too sure. Looking in the store room, he found a couple bottles marked 'Duck Repellent'. 

Rift probably will needs this to deal with the problem. Good thing I got to them first

He thought. Grabbing all the bottles, he raced towards his barrel, just as the duckling with the tail was making its way towards it.

Just in time!

He started pouring out one of the bottles around the barrel. The duckling looked at him with big doey eyes

"Ma-ma?" it quacked

"Shoo!" Clucky swatted at it with the hand the bottle was in

"Ma-ma!" it quacked back, undeterred

"Go away! These are my bananas! You can't have any!" Clucky hissed

"Ba-na-na" it started quacking, its mood perking up

Clucking looked down at the bottle.

Expires May 2009

"Typical" he mutters under his breath "Guess I'll have to protect this the old fashion way"

He climbed upon his barrel and grabbed a banana out of it. He then starred down the monkey duck, daring it to make a move on his stash.

After finally running out of ideas the night before, Cel had wandered up to the dorm-like hall where she and her friends had all selected quarters. Her east-facing window had, as hoped made it easy to wake up with the sunrise. As she arose, she hear strange sounds outside her door. Opening it to her first full day in the Mansion, she was quickly swarmed by what felt like several thousand ducks. 

Swiftly closing her door, Cel sat down to pick them up and play with them. 

It became apparent this was a mistake. Within minutes, she had ducks in her hair, on her shoulders, climbing into her jacket pockets. Laughing, she tried to remove them, but as swiftly as she did, more climbed on.

Soon, Blac was there, helping her dig out from her pile of ducklings.

"Um... is this normal here?" she asked, laughing.

"Well uh, normal is a very loose term here. At least we don't have ducks riding trains. Now THAT would be preposterous!"

As inevitably a small ducky in a train conductor's hat rode past in the engine of a miniature train, the carts trailing behind holding several other balls of yellow joy.

"Normal... I'm sure Rift will make an announcement sometime soon about this. Though I'm not entirely sure how any of this happened."

Blacjak waded carefully through the ducklings pulling Cel along by the hand.

"Lets go talk someplace a bit less crowded huh?"

"I'm bringing this one with me. I don't think I have much choice, but he's cute so I don't mind." One duck had stubbornly refused to leave Cel's shoulder. He was making little sounds of contentment, almost a hum. "Anyways, where doesn't have ducks? I'm pretty sure I failed to keep them out of my room."

Cel glanced towards the doors she knew belonged to Star and Bed, but didn't see any signs of life. She continued after the ninja guiding her down the hall. When they found a duck-free place to sit, she'd PM them to let them know where they had gathered. 

It took quite a bit of time maneuvering through the duck infested mansion, but they figured the least likely place to have been taken over would be the werewolf game room. Quickly sliding inside, Blacjak shut the door behind them.

The room was quite dark as most of the equipment had been shut down over night. Delicately placing his duckling on the massive table, Blacjak took a few quick steps forwards and slid down its length on the table's edge. He spun smoothly into the host's chair and with a few quick taps, the table lit up. His face illuminated mainly by the tablet, Blacjak puzzled over a few details he was curious about. The ninja duckling waddled over to see what he was doing. A few swipes later and the room was illuminated by the ceiling light fixtures. Satisfied by the conditions, Blacjak leaned back in the chair and swiveled side to side.

"I think its apparent we need to find out who all these little ones belong to. But, we might as well just wait a bit longer for that announcement."

"QUACK!"

Cel chose her own chair, one with wheels, and tucked her new little friend into her lap as she set the chair spinning down the length of the room. Being woken by an over abundance of ducklings brought out her childish side. As did Blac's general demeanor. 

"They are real ducklings. But they all look like rubber ducks with their adorable outfits and such." She looked at the one in her lap. His feathers were unusually tufty, and he wore a little headband. She wasn't sure what he was supposed to be, and suspected that the ruffled feathers were an indication of a lost costume somewhere in the dorm hall. "I wonder if somehow a bunch of rubber duck images got brought to life. Isn't that the sort of glitch that could happen in a digital world?"

“WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!” The alarm made Rift bolt upright in his seat, having fallen asleep at the desk in his quarters the night before. He blinked his eyes and squinted at the screen in front of him. “What is it this time?” he mumbled, and his eyes went wide as he noticed that the Mansion's RAM was nearly full. Surely the new hosting allowed for more than thirty members? The old host had been able to handle sixty active members during All-Stars season. His hands flew deftly to the screen, as he adjusted windows and pulled up additional details. The phrase 'Unidentified Objects' repeatedly answered his question in the least descriptive way possible.

“Did someone find a relic already?” Rift was dumbstruck. Surely he had hidden them better than that. Had he slept through a notification that one had been found? And what had been created? The answer came as he pulled up the cameras and saw hundreds, perhaps thousands, of ducks swarming the Mansion. His eyes bugged. “Ducks!?”

In his irritation he flung the camera screen aside, and he quickly began a diagnostic to get a clearer idea of what had happened. If his first day back at the job hadn't been enough, his second was going to be filled with debugging.

ooc| I considered starting with an announcement, but this is what came out when I started writing. I figure it's more interesting if you guys play with the ducks for a while, and once I have a clear idea of the direction to take this, I'll probably have the announcement be my next in-character post.

Leaning back in her chair, Cel pulled up her interface and shot a quick message to Bed and Star. "Come play with me and Blac and our ducks! Feel free to bring one or two, but we're trying to keep the WW forum somewhat in order." Somewhat hoping her message would confuse them before the saw the mayhem of the halls, she turned back to Blac. "What next?" she asked with a grin. 

"Well, it seems Bed is still asleep and Star hasn't logged on either. In fact the only other member online right now is Clucky."

Blacjak stared intently at the map in front of him, Clucky was appearing in a very odd part of the mansion. He could be on the stairs in the parlor but his location was marked in a spot where there should be a wall. What are you doing... Could the map be incomplete? Blacjak got up quickly and closed the display.

"I think we should go talk to him."

He scooped up the ninja ducky with a fingerless gloved hand and began walking out of the room towards the parlor. His padded feet making absolutely no noise on the carpeted floor of the Werewolf Forum.

Cel slipped out of her seat and dashed after the ninja-clad pair. Her little duck had at some point replaced his headband with a train-conductor's hat. She looked at him in bemusement. 

"QUACK!" he said proudly.

As they continued down the hall, Cel watched her step carefully. While significantly less dense than on the upper floor, the mass of ducks was still a notable hindrance. She passed a group of ducks carrying bows clad in everything from Indian vests to Hunger-games game suites. At the foot of the stairs was a contingent of even tinier ducks using each other to boost themselves up a stair at a time. Leaning down to help the little things, Cel noticed that her ducky had hurried ahead to join Blac and his ninja duck.

As she neared the group above, she noticed someone she hadn't met crouching on what appeared to be a barrel. In front of him stood a little monkey-duck. Coming to a stop, she was greeted by her duck jumping up to nestle on her shoulder.

"Where'd you get that?" she asked, indicating the banana he had somehow acquired. 

On the parlor balcony, a raft of ducks was sailing above those littering the floor, and Sparkbot was unwittingly being carried downstream and towards the trio. “Sparkbot requests help,” Sparkbot said as soon as he noticed the group, and he flailed perhaps as much to maintain his haphazard balance as to emphasize where he was. The raft continued sailing towards the stairs.

ooc: So.... Blac pointed out that I got lost. Apparently Clucky is in the Storeroom. Not on the stairs. I sort of got us lost. I don't know how Blac/Rift/Clucky all want to resolve that. Feel free to move me where you need to go so we can find Clucky defending his banana barrel. 

ooc Someone should poke Clucky to clarify. Blac and I are wherever he is. I think Blac was just assuming under the stairs. As it made sense to put a closet or something there. But if there's a better place, perhaps you can direct us?

ooc: I actually just dreamed wrong when I was remembering details. Turns out I had a better thought than was actually there. Clucky only said he went to the store room, but the location of the barrel was unspecified. So you didn't get us lost. It's also believable that like Sparkbot, the barrel was moved by the duckies so nothing really needs to be edited. I've been meaning to finish my post today but I was distracted by the game and my family. Definitely expect me to move things along tomorrow though when I wake up. I also have an idea for exactly what this store room might have been in the past and why it would make sense to exist, though not appear in the mansion layout.

Edited by Blacjak

ooc: I support the idea that Clucky has been carried by a river of ducks to his current position on the stairs. We must check if he is ok with this. Otherwise, carry on.

Edited by Celairiel