Shattered Rift

What Are You Watching? (TV version)

39 posts in this topic

I know it's summer and we just had the season finales for most of the shows on TV, but since we don't have this thread up yet: what are you watching?

For the most part, this thread is meant to springboard possible discussions about current TV shows. But it can also be used to get information about older shows.

I've mostly just been keeping up with shows on the CW in recent years. When the fall premiers roll around, I'll be watching Arrow (highly recommended), The Flash (because of how good Arrow is), Supernatural (which I no longer like but want to see through to the end), The Vampire Diaries (I like the characters but haven't cared for the plot in the past few seasons), The Originals (Elijah and Claus are two of the best written characters on television), The 100 (which had a surprisingly intriguing first season despite its blatant disregard for accurate science)... and... ::.Checks.:: Oh, and Reign, which seems like the CW's terrible answer to Game of Thrones (and I've never even watched Game of Thrones).

For summer watching, I'll be watching Girl Meets World. I actually started rewatching Boy Meets World recently to compare (and to let Cel and a couple of other friends know what they missed out on growing up).

I also watched several episodes of Naked and Afraid recently, which is basically two people are sent into an exotic wilderness without clothes (the "naked" part), only one survival item each, and they have to survive for 21 days and then reach an extraction point. A part of the show is meant to consider the question of how early humans were able to survive.

What about you guys? What are you watching?

I tend to follow the USA shows during the summer.  Covert Affairs and Suits being the big ones, now that Psych and Burn Notice are done.  I am looking forward to the return of Under the Dome--wondering where they'll go now that they basically got through everything from the book.  

Didn't start watching Arrow when it started, and I'm hesitant to start now.  And since I don't have Netflix, I don't really have a way to catch up.  We're watching Supernatural on DVD (slowly) when we have nothing on the DVR.  Which is getting closer to being the case.

And when August rolls around, Capaldi as The Doctor will be watched.

Just finished OITNB S2 (easily one of the best shows currently being made) and Sherlock S3 (E2 was amazing. E1 was lame. E3 was pretty good).

Probably gonna do Orphan Black next cause I keep hearing fantastic things about it. Then probably House of Cards S2 after than.

Young Justice, I can't believe this show was canceled, favorite superhero cartoon ever.

Blacjak likes this

Didn't start watching Arrow when it started, and I'm hesitant to start now.  And since I don't have Netflix, I don't really have a way to catch up.  We're watching Supernatural on DVD (slowly) when we have nothing on the DVR.  Which is getting closer to being the case.

Whenever you are able to get around to Arrow, it'll be well worth the wait. And it only really takes a few episodes to get going, in my opinion. How far along into Supernatural are you?

Sherlock S3 (E2 was amazing. E1 was lame. E3 was pretty good).

Episode 2 was amazing. And Episode 3 was fun. Oddly, I didn't enjoy this season/series as much as I did the first two. I'm not sure if I was in an off mood while watching... maybe it's a sign that I need to find a weekend to rewatch it at some point.

Young Justice, I can't believe this show was canceled, favorite superhero cartoon ever.

What was Young Justice about?

Sherlock S3 (E2 was amazing. E1 was lame. E3 was pretty good).

Episode 2 was amazing. And Episode 3 was fun. Oddly, I didn't enjoy this season/series as much as I did the first two. I'm not sure if I was in an off mood while watching... maybe it's a sign that I need to find a weekend to rewatch it at some point.

No, I think just it wasn't as good. Mysteries in 1 and 3 weren't as interesting, there wasn't as much Sherlock being awesome...

but man episode 2. Amazing to think how that, Ozymandias from Breaking Bad, Mizumono from Hannibal, and The Secret Fate of All Life from True Detective have all aired in the last ~12 months. Some of my favorite episodes ever there (not to mention some great Parks and Rec episodes for comedies)

I agree. Season three wasn't as strong. I think it's because there was a lack of unity. Season one was about who Sherlock is, and establishing him and John as a team. Season two was about Moriarty. Season three was about... bringing Sherlock back? What John's done? What next? Is there a threat? Way too many different things. I'm hoping that things are more unified now that we've got Sherlock, a threat, and an established place for everyone. 

eh, I don't care about it being connected. I just want to see the character of Sherlock Holmes. Thats what made E2 so great -- you had both the brilliant detective skills at play, and then also an excellent portrayal of just how unstable of a character he is.

Shattered Rift likes this

Depending on how I split the Sherlock thread, Nebiros' post may be lost from this one, so it's quoted below.

Besides Fargo which just had it's finale not too long ago, I'm not watching anything right now. 

Apparently I really need to sit down and watch Agents of SHIELD.
But, I dunno. I'll get around to it, I guess. TV is really boring me despite all the good I hear about various shows.
Doctor Who is back in August, so I'll be all over that.

I completely spaced on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Like... I don't know how well I can or can't recommend it. The first half of the season drags unbearably slowly. Coulson carries the show along with Fitz and Simmons (who are by far the most entertaining characters on television). The show only finally gets started after (or more accurately, during) the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And the last few episodes of the season are certainly good, but it takes a long time to get there. And I think it's for that reason that, even though I enjoyed the last few episodes, I'm not as jazzed about season two as I could or perhaps should be.

Just finished DragonBall, moving onto DragonBall Z now.

I binge watched DB, now that I'm starting DBZ and it's 250+ episodes, I'm a little discouraged :P

No mention of Avatar: Legend of Korra?  Now that it's back on I have something to watch regularly again.

New season has some good setup so far, a couple baddie groups to deal with.  New kid's story is cliche as possible, but I still like him.  Not liking the criminals being hyped as 'oh no the strongest guys ever' so far, though.  I get what they're doing, but I don't have so much faith in the writers after the last two seasons.

Season 3 has potential, but so did the first two seasons, and they both dropped the ball at the end.  That said, the scale of this season seems smaller so maybe they'll be able to resolve everything without stupid deus ex machinas.

. How far along into Supernatural are you?

Somewhere in the middle of the second season.  As it's DVD, it tends to be watched when our DVR has been cleaned.  

Just finished DragonBall, moving onto DragonBall Z now.

I binge watched DB, now that I'm starting DBZ and it's 250+ episodes, I'm a little discouraged :P

Yeah, DBZ's sheer length is a bit daunting, and coming out of Dragon Ball can't make it any easier.

I actually never watched much of Dragon Ball (despite several people assuring me that its plot and such are much stronger than DBZ's, whereas DBZ has the fighting). And I've only watched DBZ from the beginning through the Cell saga.

No mention of Avatar: Legend of Korra?  Now that it's back on I have something to watch regularly again.

Oh, right, I'm supposed to get around to watching that at some point, aren't I? ::.Looks around for Rex, who's bound to mention where it's supposed to be on Rift's list in relation to Nine Lives.::

. How far along into Supernatural are you?

Somewhere in the middle of the second season.  As it's DVD, it tends to be watched when our DVR has been cleaned.

Ah, you're still in the best of it. I loved the last four episodes of season two.

New season has some good setup so far, a couple baddie groups to deal with.  New kid's story is cliche as possible, but I still like him.  Not liking the criminals being hyped as 'oh no the strongest guys ever' so far, though.  I get what they're doing, but I don't have so much faith in the writers after the last two seasons.

Season 3 has potential, but so did the first two seasons, and they both dropped the ball at the end.  That said, the scale of this season seems smaller so maybe they'll be able to resolve everything without stupid deus ex machinas.

KORRAKORRAKORRAKORRAKORRAKORRAKORRA

I'm loving the new season so far. Reserving judgement for now of course, but it took a season and a half for The Last Airbender to geet good and we've only now hit that episode count with Korra.

(omg Bolin steals every scene he shows up in and I love it)

I was poked into watching game of thrones a while ago.

Took less than one episode for me to realize I was not going to like it. I should probably pick Supernatural back, I stopped watching for... I don't even know why. Last thing I remember is (spoiler) either Sam coming back from the dead or him killing Lilith. (spoiler) I'm not even sure which of those was the latter, maybe I should just rewatch the entire thing.

I was poked into watching game of thrones a while ago.

Took less than one episode for me to realize I was not going to like it. I should probably pick Supernatural back, I stopped watching for... I don't even know why. Last thing I remember is (spoiler) either Sam coming back from the dead or him killing Lilith. (spoiler) I'm not even sure which of those was the latter, maybe I should just rewatch the entire thing.

really wouldn't judge GoT from the first episode. 

Certainly isn't a show for everyone. But if you can stand the sex/violence its one of the most engaging, well-written dramas being made right now.

What we're currently watching in our house...

"Battlestar Galactica" (Netflix)

"Chuck" (Netflix)

"Covert Affairs" (USA)

"Defiance" (SyFy)

"Dexter" (Netflix)

"Longmire" (AMC)

"Perception" (TNT)

"Rizzoli & Isles" (TNT)

"Royal Pains" (USA)

"Suits" (USA)

Battlestar Galactica is only on the list because it's my favorite show and I'm constantly rewatching it. I kind of only watch Longmire because Katee Sackhoff is in it.

We just finished season 3 of Continuum and season 2 of Orange is the New Black, the last five minutes of which were amazing!

Clucky, season 2 of House of Cards is good, but a little bit on the ridiculous side. The whole time my husband and I were watching it, we were like "Is this really happening?" It's outrageous, but good.

Rift, I'm on the same page with you regarding Agents of SHIELD. I just could not get into it for so long... Finally once they had a story line going on, I could start to get into it, but I'm still not totally sold.

really wouldn't judge GoT from the first episode. 

Certainly isn't a show for everyone. But if you can stand the sex/violence its one of the most engaging, well-written dramas being made right now.

That's what has me being iffy on watching it. I'm not sure how I would feel about the violence (as it's been a long time since I've watched anything with gruesome violence), but the nudity would get old pretty fast to me. At the same time, I hate missing out on a show that I've heard so many good things about.

We just finished season 3 of Continuum and season 2 of Orange is the New Black, the last five minutes of which were amazing!

How is Continuum? Zen had me sit down and watch the pilot, which I liked, but I don't have Netflix so I haven't kept up with it. Also, are there any other shows you're watching right now that you'd recommend?

How is Continuum? Zen had me sit down and watch the pilot, which I liked, but I don't have Netflix so I haven't kept up with it. Also, are there any other shows you're watching right now that you'd recommend?

Continuum is good, though a bit difficult to follow sometimes once you get past the first season. That being said, I think it's one of the best shows going on SyFy right now.

As for other shows currently on TV, I would have recommended Covert Affairs in the past, but so far this season, I'm on the fence (like Agents of Shield). Rizzoli & Isles is good if you like somewhat procedural shows, though I think I would recommend Major Crimes a little bit more. Out of everything on TV right now that we're watching, Suits is my favorite.

I typically watch Korean dramas if I have the time (I never really grew up around American tv shows, and I don't own a tv), but I've heard Fresh Off The Boat is coming in the fall. It's a new Asian family comedy tv series. I was laughing in tears in the trailer because it's all true. xD

I typically watch Korean dramas if I have the time (I never really grew up around American tv shows, and I don't own a tv), but I've heard Fresh Off The Boat is coming in the fall. It's a new Asian family comedy tv series. I was laughing in tears in the trailer because it's all true. xD

YES! I'm excited to watch Fresh Off the Boat. I hope to see parallels with my childhood...

Currently watching: Sailor Moon Crystal. (Saying that I'm a Sailor Moon fan is an understatement as I owned the entire manga series, watched the first anime, watched the live action PGSM...and now the revamp, which is PURE EYE CANDY).

Also awaiting Doctor Who to return on August 23 (they finally released an actual trailer!) and the Sherlock mini-sode or whatever this winter.

Sherlock mini-sode or whatever this winter.

The Sherlock special won't come out this year. They'll be filming in January, and the release time is still anyone's guess (though a few of us are speculating Christmas 2015 shortly before season 4).

Sherlock mini-sode or whatever this winter.

The Sherlock special won't come out this year. They'll be filming in January, and the release time is still anyone's guess (though a few of us are speculating Christmas 2015 shortly before season 4).

Oh right. I had forgotten how antagonizing the wait is for Sherlock.

Currently watching: Sailor Moon Crystal. (Saying that I'm a Sailor Moon fan is an understatement as I owned the entire manga series, watched the first anime, watched the live action PGSM...and now the revamp, which is PURE EYE CANDY).

I watched the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal and I didn't like it as much as the original TV series.  Because they're both close adaptations of the manga, the only real difference in the show was the animation.  It was higher quality, definitely, but I really don't like the character designs.  They focus more on the 'pretty' part of the title, I guess, probably makes it more marketable.  The proportions are more exaggerated, which makes them look off-putting; and the 14 year old characters seem to be wearing a lot of make-up, which makes them look like those kids that get entered in beauty pageants by their mothers that they make shows of on TLC.  I feel like the first series' characters looked more real.

Also while the DiC sub was terrible it has a charm for me.  I don't even mind Stephanie Beard.