Shattered Rift

What Are You Watching? (TV version)

39 posts in this topic

Been working through Season 1 of Digimon. Started at episode 13 back in May, now I'm at 48. Also, Parks and Recreation.

See list in signature.  Also, NCIS Los Angeles.  I'd forgotten to put that one down...  was my birthday present this year from my Grandma lmao.  

Doctor Who:  Me and Bev are finished with Series 4 and "The Next Doctor."  Waiting for money to afford "Planet of the Dead" and "End of Time."  Not looking to the end of the Tennant Era.  But, all good things must come to an end.

Fairy Tail:  Finished Blue Ray Collection 2.  Me and Bev are waiting for Collection 3.  The next disc in the set costs as much as the bundle packs have, so we figure we'd be smarter to wait.

NCIS LA:  I'm not far into this yet.  I like the main series a bit more for cast, but not by much.  LA keeps things interesting with their tech-reliance.  It's hitting home specifically because of the fact that I've been playing lots of Watchdogs as of late lmao

Amazon Prime also has Doctor Who...though I'm unfamiliar with Fairy Tail, so I cannot speak to that.

Been watching Community with my gf lately. It's a pretty funny show, I really like it. I'm only halfway through season 2 though. 

I've yet to pick DBZ yet but I've been 3D modelling lately and I usually need a background show.

The Gotham premier was last night... all in all, it's off to a solid start, and it's one of the better pilots I've seen in a while. That said...

I facepalmed as soon as it started with young Catwoman. And then cringed inside as she was present for the Wayne murder. If she, Riddler, and Poison Ivy don't end up mattering within a few episodes, I'm going to be incredibly annoyed at shoehorning

that many references in. Honestly, Bruce Wayne and Penguin were enough, and they were well-executed. We have a (presumably) season-long plot arc set up by the question of who murdered the Waynes. Even if we don't see Penguin again (which might be my preference), he served a really useful role in establishing the milieu. Catwoman, Riddler, and Poison Ivy? All three feel shoehorned. That's not to say that they couldn't be fit in, but...

As far as live action tv-shows I have three words: Brooklyn Nine-Nine. If you haven't seen the first season, it is incredibly funny and you should go watch it. The second season is set to premier within the week I believe and I cant wait for it to start.

As far as anime goes, if you are an anime fan and a fan of great character arcs you need to watch Tokyo Ghoul. Its one of those anime where an ordinary guy gets roped into a world of monsters and becomes one and has to cope with the consequences of that transformation. What sets it apart from all the other anime of that type is that unlike most anime protagonists the main character doesn't immediately become use to the insane world he finds himself in. The show does an amazing job of making the character truly seem as though his world has been completely upturned by what has happened to him. I doubt that any anime within the next year will come close to being as good as Tokyo Ghoul. A word of caution the show does have some fairly graphic scenes of violence. However for the most part you will only be able to find the televised version of the show so much of that is censored. 

Did anyone catch the new American Horror Story last night? I'm pretty excited. I do so love creepy, spooky unorthodox things.

So, now that we're near mid season on a few shows...

Gotham

The full circle on the Penguin plot made me pretty happy. It bookended everything really nicely and also primed us for a shift in plot. Gordon had taken a stand. Penguin's survival plan was revealed, made perfect sense, and had succeeded flawlessly. Meanwhile, we're getting the rogues gallery thrown in left and right, and we're getting so much Bruce Wayne that I can't help but joke that this show will become Teenage Batman or Teen Titan Batman or something if it makes it to a fifth season. And is it really appealing to the fanbase to see a poor interpretation of Harvey Dent, have seemingly meaningless inclusion of Poison Ivy, and... gosh, if we see Harleen Quinzell next episode while Gordon is working in Arkham Asylum, I think I'm just going to headdesk on principle. Penguin has been extremely well done. Zsasz was well done. Everyone else feels so... tossed into a blender. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Arrow

Amell promised us that this season would crush season two, but we still haven't really seen anything to live up to that promise. This season, like the first two, has been slow to start while priming up various plotlines. Meanwhile, the flashback plotline is fairly boring. Yes, we know he has to learn Chinese at some point, but the lack of a need to survive is keeping the B-Plot from ramping up. We just got a cheap tease-scare that the one guy was going to die and then he didn't. Ra's al Ghul hasn't started his war against Oliver yet. Though it seems like we're primed on that plot, we're instead going to get Arrow vs Flash. Which feels really premature.

The Flash

Am I the only person who finds The Flash fairly boring? I get that it's just starting out, and I'm really glad that we have the overarching plot and question of just what/who Wells really is. (I particularly like that there's at least one scene about it in every episode.) And I do love seeing Greg Finley, though they killed him off a bit fast. But... there's not very much gripping at me. Meanwhile, between already having an episode where Barry loses his powers and following it up with The Arrow vs The Flash, it feels like they're being really premature about certain tropes.

Agents of Shield

Not much to say here. I think I might actually be enjoying Agents more than any other show right now. I'm a bit surprised that we got the reveal on the carvings so early in the season. I dislike how advanced the technology has gotten (hyper-realistic face masks), but I'm curious to see how this is all going to come to a head with Avengers 2.

Has anyone else been disappointed by this year of television? Designated Survivor has been a standout success in an otherwise bleak year. I can't say enough good things about the show, especially given the timing of a political show about a decent President. I can't recommend it enough.

Girl Meets World ended with a whimper, and the nostalgia (and joke of both Morgans in the finale) wasn't anywhere near enough to salvage anything. There aren't any other spiritual successors that I care about, but I wonder if any of them are doing better.

Agents of Shield has been good but is still boring to me.

Spoiler

Though I am kind of looking forward to the AU we'll be getting for the next arc.

As far as CW shows go, the Arrowverse shows have been lackluster this season. Supergirl is a boring. The Flash is a mess (but speedster Megatron is cool-looking). Arrow has been decent (and tonight's episode was probably the best of the season so far). And Legends of Tomorrow just doesn't care, and I can only really watch it in that context (though it's arguably been somewhat good when I set aside any and all expectations).

The Vampire Diaries ended about as strongly as it could (and I did like the ending, problems aside), and The Originals seems poised to follow suit.

In the way of past shows, I started watching the first season of Suits, and while I'm only halfway through the first season, I can't give this show enough praise. Why didn't anyone bring it to my attention sooner?

It feels a bit surreal to be enjoying so little on television considering that two years ago I was enjoying almost every show I was watching. Is there anything worth looking into right now? Or shows that I've overlooked in recent years? Rex recommended White Collar to me some years back.

Posted (edited)

I recently watched some survivor some months ago...  it was something like smart people vs physically good people. And then after that it was like millennials vs baby boomers or something like that. Without evidence, I have high suspicion that the Survivor series takes an impromptu approach into faking scenarios and game-play, or at least a good part of it to appeal to viewers. I know there's always some amount of meddling for a game show to put the show on a path that's interesting and rake in the ratings. At some point during these seasons, I was a little doubtful of how entertaining these people appear to be. Then I sort dropped off the millennials season since I felt the portrayal of millennials and the adults was kind of sad. 

I wasn't able to get into any CW shows... the last show I watched on there was Smallville, and that was mostly out seeing how things end and not enjoyment. I sort of lost faith in these kind of shows after that. I really liked some of the characters in smallville, but everything fell apart when Lex went away and ideas were reaching for almost 10 years. 

I heard Game of Thrones was good, but I couldn't even latch onto that.

I watched Stranger Things since I kind of liked the dark and mysterious tone that I haven't seen much. I thought it was Okay. Watched it in a day though...

Edited by Bed

I've been hearing a bit more of the accusations against reality TV shows recently, because I've watched a few of the survivalist shows. While interesting at a glance, there's not a lot of appeal there for me in general. You need fire to survive. Don't suck at building a shelter. Hunting is about tools and luck. It creates an interesting vision of the past, and it does make it abundantly clear why the guarantee of food (via farming) probably led to civilization.

I need to put Smallville onto my "need to rewatch" list. It's been at least a few years since I last went through the first six seasons. You're familiar with the Smallville Season 11 comic, yes? They certainly took advantage of the comic medium for storytelling, making it a bit more Justice League (which was kind of the direction the show had tried to go in several times anyway).

That said, I kind of have to place most (if not all) of the CW shows above Smallville for storytelling. Nostalgia definitely makes me rank Smallville above all but Arrow and maybe The Flash, but I feel like Smallville only really beats Supergirl outright (mostly due to the sheer lack of direction in Supergirl, whereas Smallville was always fun).

What are you looking for in a show right now? Or what's been lacking in the shows you've been watching?

Posted (edited)

I'm not familiar with the smallville comics... I figured the direction into a team oriented show follows superman's story in the comics, so it was natural. I did like the green arrow here and how they teamed up.

It's kind of hard to pinpoint what is lacking, but maybe if I think about some of the things I enjoyed or kept me watching... I generally like shows where it doesn't feel like things are being dragged on. I think every episode should have a key moment, or should be somewhat purposeful to drive the story. And these moments should be interesting and not always predictable, as long as it fits the character of course. Also, for some reason I feel like I can detect a set-up, or a plot device... which makes things predictable and when I keep seeing these things, its less exciting. I don't mean to say being able to predict things is bad, but there should be a good balance between 1) knowing something turned out as you hoped and 2) finding out its not always turning out as you thought.

Basically, it's sometimes fun being on edge because the show is telling you, anything can happen. That's something Games of Throne does well, because the character that you like, might be gone anytime. There's something in the struggle that makes me more invested into not missing a scene or episode.

I enjoy good character interactions. I think people call it chemistry? Sometimes it's chemistry, and sometimes it's just very different kind of characters, interacting with each other in the most interesting ways. Strong characters are characters that you can understand and predict their behaviors the more you watch. Putting them against an unknown or another strong character that makes for a very unpredictable outcome or conversation is fun. Chemistry however... there's some sort of attraction between characters that it doesn't matter if it's predictable or not, you just like seeing them interact like that. I tend to keep watching if I like certain characters. Kind of embarrassing, but I tend to lean toward some romantic aspects of shows that have strong chemistry and strong characters.

Respecting the characters... I think it is something that was a turn-off on Smallville. I think some of these characters were great, but things dragged on, and the characters got used too much in too many different ways. I think characters can degrade if you use them in awkward ways. This is sometimes shown as changing a character so much for the sake of an episode, then fixing them at the end.

Anyways, this is just rambling about quality--

I would probably watch a more philosophical show I guess. Maybe a horror/mystery show that's not too much gore? I sometimes watch ghost shows so that I can actually feel scared. I watched too much drama in the past, so that won't work. Something that breaks the mold, or something that is not too politically correct could be interesting. Something with careful dialogue, -- It's hard to describe, maybe I just want to watch a masterpiece of a show, that has a strong message, intent, idea, philosophy, behind it. I tend to like sci-fi because I always find situations I never thought about, and it's a fun idea. Stranger Things had something familiar, but it was good at how it was told.  

Maybe I just watched too many things and just got desensitized... I remember I got so bored that I watched Gordon Ramsey a lot since I liked the shock factor when talked down people. I guess I do like comedy a lot too.

Are you watching these shows and analyzing them? Does analyzing shows make it any less enjoyable... I feel in some way I'm thinking too much into things.

Edited by Bed

2 hours ago, Bed said:

I'm not familiar with the smallville comics... I figured the direction into a team oriented show follows superman's story in the comics, so it was natural. I did like the green arrow here and how they teamed up.

While I enjoyed Smallville's interpretation of the Green Arrow, I prefer DC's heroes to exist in their own individual bubbles. It has something to do with how they feel larger than life, and the power discrepancies between, say, Superman and Green Arrow really force the suspension of disbelief. As opposed to Marvel where most of the characters are on the same level.

2 hours ago, Bed said:

Basically, it's sometimes fun being on edge because the show is telling you, anything can happen. That's something Games of Throne does well, because the character that you like, might be gone anytime. There's something in the struggle that makes me more invested into not missing a scene or episode.

So what kept you from enjoying Game of Thrones? I take it that the gore was part of the problem?

2 hours ago, Bed said:

Respecting the characters... I think it is something that was a turn-off on Smallville. I think some of these characters were great, but things dragged on, and the characters got used too much in too many different ways. I think characters can degrade if you use them in awkward ways. This is sometimes shown as changing a character so much for the sake of an episode, then fixing them at the end.

Smallville definitely dove headfirst into that lake. Sometimes it was fine when it was done from the comic book angle (so to speak), but it became a problem as the writers refused to let Clark grow as a character, dragged on and on with the love triangle with Lana (particularly in seasons five and six), and did nothing relevant whatsoever with Kara in season seven. This has been a big part of my issue with The Flash, especially this year with the unnecessary change to Caitlin via Flashpoint.

2 hours ago, Bed said:

Are you watching these shows and analyzing them? Does analyzing shows make it any less enjoyable... I feel in some way I'm thinking too much into things.

For me, I tend to analyze the shows I enjoy. I have a friend who also posts his critical thoughts on Facebook pretty regularly, so I bounce few ideas around with him. There are very few shows that I'll "turn off my brain" for, and nearly all of them are comedy.