As some of you may have gathered from my two video announcements, I care quite a bit about my sense of style, particularly my professional style (especially tie knots) and also my casual style (for the sake of making good first impressions, particularly for my dating life). Much of this interest came a year ago when a few friends at church starting wearing the Trinity knot (the knot I wore in the Sparkbomb v3.0 announcement). I now prefer the Eldredge (the knot I was wearing in the recent Break-even announcement) as it looks much more formal, in my opinion.

Around the same time (or maybe a bit before), I started to notice the difference in size between my different medium-sized shirts. Some of them were simply too large on me while others fit fine. Sadly, due to the width of my shoulders and narrowness of my waist, I fall somewhere between the typical men's Medium and Small, having the typical medium width in my shoulders but my waist being better suited to the typical small width. I can only imagine the nightmare women experience in this regard due to a lack of standardization and the extra variables they have when it comes to their clothing. About that time, I also started caring a bit more about color coordination with my outfit, opting for button-up sports shirts (I think that's the term) since they add more color and more class than a typical tee shirt without needing to step up the formality ladder towards a polo or be limited to a single color the way a henley is. (Henleys are basically collarless polos, having those three buttons up near the top of the collar.)

I've also been impressed by the sense of style of a few of our female members in the past, particularly Liz and Nebiros.

Anyway, I want to open up this conversation for a couple of reasons. One, I assume there are guys on the site that do care about their sense of style. It's not something we talk about often, but it's something that a lot more guys think about than talk about. And I'm sure there are some that probably want some advice or the like. Two, I'd be curious to hear what some of the women in the room have to say, whether about men's style or about their own.

I'm going to post a couple of links for the guys.

Real Men Real Style: I found this website (and a few others that I don't care for as much) when I was first looking for some casual style tips. Antonio Centeno focuses on professional style, he emphasizes the importance of having fewer pieces of clothing while maintaining a fully interchangeable wardrobe, and he does video versions of each of his articles, so you can read or watch as you wish. (That was probably my inspiration for doing video versions of the two announcements here on Sparkbomb.) His free ebook is very helpful, and while he does a decent chunk of advertising for his mail list, I always give the articles a glance. There's almost always something useful to be learned.

Alex Krasny's YouTube Channel: Alex has done some very good videos showing how to tie various knots, and he discusses ties often enough in various videos. I don't always agree with his thoughts, but I always appreciate his stuff.

I actually already follow both these channels. XD

I also like these resources myself.

Not a fan of ties myself, although I might try one with a vest when I get a couple. I sort of want to experiment with bow ties.

http://www.atailoredsuit.com/mens-style-guide-tailored-suit.html
http://www.fashionbeans.com/category/mens-fashion-basics/page/6/

Not a fan of ties myself, although I might try one with a vest when I get a couple. I sort of want to experiment with bow ties.

I really need to get a good pair of Oxfords and sports jackets.

I'm not even going to start with women's fashions... Let's just say that pants that fit appropriately in all areas don't exist.

I did find this when I was looking for Father's Day gifts: Trunk Club

Honestly, most of the time I'm pretty comfortable in things like cardigans and jeans. I tend to avoid things like ties unless necessary, and if I wear a shirt I'd rather pair it with a casual jacket than a tie.

Professionally, I don't really extend much beyond having a suit, and a few shirts and ties to pick from.

I guess mostly my fashion is defined less by the things I gravitate towards than by the things I try to avoid. T-shirts with printed messages, anything that makes my physique look odd (I'm fairly tall and broad-shouldered), and any overly loud professional clothing strike me as bad ideas.

Funny enough, I still don't own a bow tie (nor have I converted any of my old ties into a bow tie). And I've been wanting to pick up a nice vest for a while now. Ditto on the Oxfords: I've been wearing the same pair of... whatever my dress shoes are for the past ten years or so.

I'll need to check out Fashion Beans.

I'm not even going to start with women's fashions... Let's just say that pants that fit appropriately in all areas don't exist.

I had the opportunity... I think seven years ago, to see one of those machines where you walk in, hold still for about ten seconds, and get your full body measurements. It was an interesting conversation talking to the owners of the company (a local web based company, of all the random places to own one of those machines) and hearing about the future of buying clothing online and having it more custom-made to accommodate different body sizes. It's disappointing that no such resource seems to exist several years later.

Trunk Club looks neat. It's just a shame that it looks like it's at the expensive end of the price range (at least for the average person). I suppose that thought does make me wonder how much money people spend on clothes, but I'd understand if people don't want to talk about that much.

Honestly, most of the time I'm pretty comfortable in things like cardigans and jeans. I tend to avoid things like ties unless necessary, and if I wear a shirt I'd rather pair it with a casual jacket than a tie.

Professionally, I don't really extend much beyond having a suit, and a few shirts and ties to pick from.

I guess mostly my fashion is defined less by the things I gravitate towards than by the things I try to avoid. T-shirts with printed messages, anything that makes my physique look odd (I'm fairly tall and broad-shouldered), and any overly loud professional clothing strike me as bad ideas.

Don't get me wrong: I spend 95% of my time wearing jeans (and will still opt for jeans with a button-down shirt as my approach to "semi-formal"). I'm usually just wearing a tie once a week for church, and then once or twice a month besides for different things.

So how do you feel about graphic tees? (I immediately thought that's what you meant when I read your post, but I suppose that's likely wrong.) I started to avoid them after high school, but I've had people point out during recent years that they work well enough. I just haven't found any that I particularly like (besides my Transformers tee that I wear half the time when I hang out with Zen).

Loud professional clothing is really tricky to do right. Even loud clothing in general. I envy the people who can pull both off.

Men, please continue to post really classy fashion blogs. I'm enjoying this.

From my own perspective, I've been shocked at how much my sense of style shifts. I feel like every three to five years I completely re-set what I want to wear. It's partly based on fashion changing and my disinterest in standing too far out of the norm, but it's also that I tend to get genuinely bored with my own appearance.

Right now, I'm really hindered by my work. Having a uniform means that I struggle to justify buying more clothes for the few hours I will wear them each evening. So all my summer stuff with the exception of two shirts, is from last year still. Additionally, I don't put as much effort into what I wear in the evening because so few people typically see me after work. Both of these things disappoint me.

I typically try to buy a pair of pants/shorts and few shirts a couple times each year as the weather changes. Starting a new season with one or two brand new outfits keeps me happy with my own clothes.

I love boots. Some LL Bean Katahdins are in the mail to me at the moment.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49464?feat=78205-ppxs&dds=y

So far I have plain tee shirts, polo shirts, jeans, chinos, sneakers and casual boots that I am satisfied with...Still hunting for dress shirts, slacks, and more formal shoes. Dress shirts are the limiting factor here; I think I can get the rest of it worked out with some research.

This is my favorite fashion blog: http://putthison.com/

And if/when you do find those fabled perfect pants, they have FAKE POCKETS KLJHFJKHSFJLHJ.
I'm SO GLAD to actually have a pair of jeans that are comfortable everywhere and ACTUALLY HAVE FUNCTIONAL POCKETS.
Also, oh my gosh, Trunk Club looks really neat. :o

As for the rest of the thread:
My style is consistently casual, and generally leaning WAY way more on the masculine side, because women's fashion has always driven me into irrational fits of rage for as long as I can remember. I now will not shop for obviously feminine items unless I absolutely have to, or know I can effectively use those items with everything else that I have. Any overtly girly clothes that may still be in my closet are probably forgotten gifts from relatives that didn't quite know me, or are necessities.

Usually (like... 99% of the time) I just wear various graphic fandom tees, jeans and converse. Summer brings shorts into the mix, winter brings hoodies. Winter also brings in nice coats. 
Being a government support tech means I don't have to dress professionally at all due to me having to crawl around under dusty desks and such. 
The main downside to this: I have found myself with a severe lack of dressy clothing. Although this problem is currently being remedied purely due to cosplay reasons. Thank you, Sherlock, for wearing dress pants and forcing me to go get a decent pair.

Also, loud clothing?
Let us take a moment and appreciate these oxfords that should be in my possession by Tuesday.

Don't get me wrong: I spend 95% of my time wearing jeans (and will still opt for jeans with a button-down shirt as my approach to "semi-formal"). I'm usually just wearing a tie once a week for church, and then once or twice a month besides for different things.

So how do you feel about graphic tees? (I immediately thought that's what you meant when I read your post, but I suppose that's likely wrong.) I started to avoid them after high school, but I've had people point out during recent years that they work well enough. I just haven't found any that I particularly like (besides my Transformers tee that I wear half the time when I hang out with Zen).

Loud professional clothing is really tricky to do right. Even loud clothing in general. I envy the people who can pull both off.

Graphic tees aren't so bad if they're based on a pattern or something, I have a few. Tees that try to be "funny" are pretty much always a bad idea in my book. If I'm going smart casual I tend to steer clear of denim, but I will wear jeans.

As far as shoes go, the last pair I got was these:

http://www.stylefile.com/puma-suede-classic-eco-shoes-green-black-fid-31148.html

I have a colleague who wears the best clothes. A pair of jeans, some sort of gaming or 80's child t-shirt (Minecraft, TMNT, etc.) with a blazer and then a really interesting belt buckle (Nintendo controller, bat signal). T-shirts do work depending on what else you do with your ensemble.

Funny enough, I still don't own a bow tie (nor have I converted any of my old ties into a bow tie). And I've been wanting to pick up a nice vest for a while now. Ditto on the Oxfords: I've been wearing the same pair of... whatever my dress shoes are for the past ten years or so.

I'll need to check out Fashion Beans.

I had the opportunity... I think seven years ago, to see one of those machines where you walk in, hold still for about ten seconds, and get your full body measurements. It was an interesting conversation talking to the owners of the company (a local web based company, of all the random places to own one of those machines) and hearing about the future of buying clothing online and having it more custom-made to accommodate different body sizes. It's disappointing that no such resource seems to exist several years later.

Trunk Club looks neat. It's just a shame that it looks like it's at the expensive end of the price range (at least for the average person). I suppose that thought does make me wonder how much money people spend on clothes, but I'd understand if people don't want to talk about that much.

Some graphic tees I'm alright with, as long as they have nice art, and not too many colors.

Something like this. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=20020749&color=001&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=M_TOPS

or this,

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=20660742&color=040&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=M_TOPS

I don't have much to say about women's fashion. Although I'm a sucker for floral print, leggings/leg warmers and sleeveless turtlenecks.. I'm also thinking about buying a friend of mine one of these scarves.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Shovava?ref=l2-shopheader-name

And if/when you do find those fabled perfect pants, they have FAKE POCKETS KLJHFJKHSFJLHJ.
I'm SO GLAD to actually have a pair of jeans that are comfortable everywhere and ACTUALLY HAVE FUNCTIONAL POCKETS.

Allow me to say that the pockets on women's jeans is a personal soapbox/pet peeve of mine.

WHAT IF I DON'T /WANT/ TO HAVE TO CARRY A PURSE AROUND BECAUSE THESE STUPID POCKETS WON'T HOLD MY WALLET/KEYS/PHONE? WHAT THEN YOU STUPID FASH-[iON]-ISTS?? HUH???!!!

Srsly. I've been known to rant on and on about this. I'd like to have a pair of jeans that allow me to put my wallet in my back pocket without making it look like I have a wallet-shaped tumor on my butt. As if I wasn't already paranoid enough about being pick-pocketed, let's just make it COMPLETELY obvious which pocket I have my wallet in. kthx. WHY do we even HAVE pockets if I can't PUT anything IN them! AUGH! IF I WANTED TO WEAR A SKIRT AND BE POCKETLESS I WOULD DO SO!

/coughs <.< >.>

First thought about ties while reading Rift's initial post was to suggest this particular knot be tried:

Cthulhu+Tie.jpg

Allow me to say that the pockets on women's jeans is a personal soapbox/pet peeve of mine.

WHAT IF I DON'T /WANT/ TO HAVE TO CARRY A PURSE AROUND BECAUSE THESE STUPID POCKETS WON'T HOLD MY WALLET/KEYS/PHONE? WHAT THEN YOU STUPID FASH-[iON]-ISTS?? HUH???!!!

Srsly. I've been known to rant on and on about this. I'd like to have a pair of jeans that allow me to put my wallet in my back pocket without making it look like I have a wallet-shaped tumor on my butt. As if I wasn't already paranoid enough about being pick-pocketed, let's just make it COMPLETELY obvious which pocket I have my wallet in. kthx. WHY do we even HAVE pockets if I can't PUT anything IN them! AUGH! IF I WANTED TO WEAR A SKIRT AND BE POCKETLESS I WOULD DO SO!

/coughs <.< >.>

First thought about ties while reading Rift's initial post was to suggest this particular knot be tried:

Cthulhu+Tie.jpg

Pretty sure the wallet being obvious is more of a function of physics than fashion designers. Do any of you have pants that don't make your wallet and keys and phone visible? I do not. Unless the pants drape off like a tent, which was my look of choice for far too long XD

Those are nice.

Cthulhu+Tie.jpg

You have enough ties. I want to see the photos, if not the real thing.

I don't own enough green ties. In fact, I think I only own one, and it's a green/orange. And then I own two teal ties (including the one I wore in the Sparkbomb v3.0 video). It's actually pretty odd how few green ties I own. I have plenty of blue ones, and I have several purple ones, but I lack green ones.

And that's ignoring the fact that I consider this blasphemous. How dare they market Great Cthulhu!

Pretty sure the wallet being obvious is more of a function of physics than fashion designers. Do any of you have pants that don't make your wallet and keys and phone visible? I do not. Unless the pants drape off like a tent, which was my look of choice for far too long XD

The thing is that a wallet in the back pocket is easier to steal than one in the front pocket.

The thing is that a wallet in the back pocket is easier to steal than one in the front pocket.

I agree. I am saying no such pants exist for either gender. :)

Men's pants have functional front pockets. Women's almost never do. Unless you mean that all pants show when you have something in your pocket? The point is that it's easiest to pickpocket someone's back pocket than it is to pickpocket their front pocket. So it's safer to keep your wallet in your front pocket.

I could rant for days about pockets. I don't carry purses, those are totally useless, and feel too femme and tacky (To me, keep in mind. Purses look fine with other people).

I carry a single, small, Mighty Wallet, my keys and my phone. I require at least three functioning pockets, which luckily my jeans fit this requirement. My dress pants do not. I have two functioning front pockets, although they're extremely shallow, and... there's a back pocket... but it's fake. Like. I was actually excited when I bought them. "OH MAN, YEAH, I HAVE A BACK POCKET!" and then I tried to stick my wallet there and... "what... what is this... IT'S. CLEVER STITCHING. It only looks like a pocket when it's actually NOTHING. HA.HA. EXCELLENT JOKE, CLOTHING INDUSTRY."

Meanwhile I can find 6? functional pockets on my shorts that I got from the guy's section. :/

I can also rant for days about women's sizing.

To all the guys in the thread, if you're ever wondering why girls take forever to shop if for whatever reason you're shopping with a lady friend, it's because we don't actually know what our sizes are. And if we do, it varies from shop to shop and brand to brand. I could be a 14 in one pair of jeans, and a 16 in another pair of jeans and this never helps me, because those numbers are NOT A WAIST SIZE MEASUREMENT.

I NEED to see two measurements on pants: Waist and in-seam.

I've only ever seen in-seam once on some women's pants, but the size number given to the pants is completely arbitrary.

I can't not be angry about this.

#SparkbombLadiesRantAboutClothing

I could rant for days about pockets. I don't carry purses, those are totally useless, and feel too femme and tacky (To me, keep in mind. Purses look fine with other people).

I carry a single, small, Mighty Wallet, my keys and my phone. I require at least three functioning pockets, which luckily my jeans fit this requirement. My dress pants do not. I have two functioning front pockets, although they're extremely shallow, and... there's a back pocket... but it's fake. Like. I was actually excited when I bought them. "OH MAN, YEAH, I HAVE A BACK POCKET!" and then I tried to stick my wallet there and... "what... what is this... IT'S. CLEVER STITCHING. It only looks like a pocket when it's actually NOTHING. HA.HA. EXCELLENT JOKE, CLOTHING INDUSTRY."

Meanwhile I can find 6? functional pockets on my shorts that I got from the guy's section. :/

To all the guys in the thread, if you're ever wondering why girls take forever to shop if for whatever reason you're shopping with a lady friend, it's because we don't actually know what our sizes are. And if we do, it varies from shop to shop and brand to brand. I could be a 14 in one pair of jeans, and a 16 in another pair of jeans and this never helps me, because those numbers are NOT A WAIST SIZE MEASUREMENT.

I've only ever seen in-seam once on some women's pants, but the size number given to the pants is completely arbitrary.

Not gonna lie, but there are (rare) moments when I wish I carried a purse to have extra crap with me. I can't remember anything useful off-hand, but Cel could probably mention a thing or two I've been glad she was carrying in her purse.

I don't understand why women's clothing doesn't use two (or three) semi-accurate sizes. Like, is it such a foreign concept that women want to know the general idea of how big the clothing is that they're looking at? I understand that hip and bust sizes prevent women's clothing from simply having the one (shirts) or two (pants) sizes that men's clothing do, but... like, hasn't it occurred to anyone that a company that properly sizes decent looking clothing would sell? Simply because women can actually find clothing that fits? (Even if just one particular body shape of women.)

At least our clothes are close to the size they say there are. It seems like each shirt size has about two variants (hence some of my medium shirts being too large) and pants have the same subtle variance (which is why a 32 waist sometimes fits me acceptably and is sometimes way too big).

I never wonder why women take so long to shop. They have it harder than I do and I take weeks of wandering from store to store to find things. I have dozens of pictures from a chino hunt that ran from Chandler to Scottsdale. I really get into it though. Lots of research, get some nice food while out, all good stuff.

I don't envy the size markers. I have a hard enough time with fairly accurate size numbers. Though being a tall waif is the main problem. 15x36 dress shirt, 30x36 pants with a little extra room in the thigh only. Have never bought pants that fit at a store. But I can usually work out what to buy online from what is available to try on.

I like shopping for shoes because I can find them.

There's challenge in getting everything just right for men for sure, but passable clothes are soooo much easier to find for men.

When I get back to AZ I might put up some pictures of Kirby Fashion (Alternate title: Kirby Goes to r/malefashionadvice)

One of the things about men's fashion is I bought tee shirts, one brand, and can just buy more of those until kingdom come.

Professionally, I have it lucky.  Khakis and a polo or button down shirt, and I'm good.  I even get to wear sneakers.

Casually, I stick with the khakis.  I've never found jeans comfortable--they're just too stiff for the most part.  I like loose clothing.

I would agree about the complaints here about women's sizing.  They've never made sense to me, and I don't shop for them often.  It's like some woman at some point was vain, and wanted her sizes smaller than the actual waist size...and that just kind of stuck.  But there's no standard, and that makes it impossible to actually know what size you are.  Ugh.

Shoes are a personal problem for me. I don't like them. I love summer, because I can run around in flip-flops pretty much all the time.

That said, I spent about a hundred and fifty bucks at American Eagle about a week ago and picked up a couple of shirts and pairs of shorts (cause they were having a buy-one-get-one-free sale). Included in this was a pair of blue shorts and a graphic tshirt to go with them that (I think) would go well with some boat shoes, so I've been thinking of going to look for some.

As far as the rest of my clothes go, I have a lot of graphic tees. I like them. A lot. Almost never dress up more than casually - if I need to be formal for some reason, I have khakis and/or black dress pants (which I wear every night for work anyway) and several button-up shirts. Most of my closet is blue, too.

Re: Inconsistent women's sizing, the answer is VANITY SIZING. 'cause nobody wants to be a 14, or a 16, they want to be an 8, or a 10. Oddly enough I find that the higher-end you go in brands the more accurate sizes you get - the $20 "stretch" no-name jeans I can get from target/k-mart/etc span at least 4 units of size on me (2 in either direction), but when I've bitten the bullet and went to Bloomingdales/Macys/etc and gone to the higher-end boutiques in there, either the size is marked by waist in inches (with a perpetually too-long inseam, but that's what a sewing machine is for), or a very consistent sizing between brands following even number or odd numbers.

Working in lab has really put a drag on my fashion sense - its just not safe to wear anything nice. More importantly, Santa Barbara is a perpetual state of 70 degrees and sunny, so all of my lovely long wool coats, frock coats, knitted blouses, knee-high boots, winter skirts, er... anything that involves layering, really, can't be done (except for the occasional evening foray). Bluh.

90% of my days are graphic tee (I have a zillion from Caltech) + jeans + black vans + sweatshirt (not for the warmth, but for the pockets), which isn't very stylish but it is functional. No skirts or shorts in lab really limits the options, too. 

And, to pretty much anyone complaining about sizing/fit of off-the-rack things: get a tailor (spending $60 on a good pair of jeans + $10-$20 to get them fitted right is worth much, much more than 4 or 5 ill-fitting cheap pairs of jeans, trust me; similarly for button-down shirts which do NOT wear out quickly if you take good care of them), learn to sew, or borrow your roommate/sibling/parent's sewing machine and learn to sew with that.

Edited by Liz

Not good at fashion since nothing fits me. In america, there is only XXL. And even if it does fit me I just don't like my current physique anyways. My parents gave me super large clothing since they shrink when washed and stuff. I was in that mindset for the longest time. Now I'm just working on filling out my clothing by eating /training more to gain weight so I'm not really attached to what I wear at the moment. But I imagine one day I will be really fashionable with simple clothing. I lean toward clothing that are easy to move around.I like the feel of cotton the most I think. I got rid of all my jeans a few years ago because they just feel terrible. Jeans nowadays are more loose and soft, but the ones at like walmart and such sucks so bad. I rather wear sweatpants to a place than go with jeans. Actually, I've been just in bed clothes even when going around. I guess I would put on some pants. I don't know what they are called, khakis? or chinos? They're not tight, a little loose, just regular work pants. looks okay but i have to wear a belt. belts suck too, since it makes the pant I'm wearing have this fold that rubs on my side. 

If there are some pants out there that are like work pants, but soft and you don't have to wear a belt, that would be cool. 

but when I've bitten the bullet and went to Bloomingdales/Macys/etc and gone to the higher-end boutiques in there, either the size is marked by waist in inches (with a perpetually too-long inseam, but that's what a sewing machine is for), or a very consistent sizing between brands following even number or odd numbers.

Working in lab has really put a drag on my fashion sense - its just not safe to wear anything nice. More importantly, Santa Barbara is a perpetual state of 70 degrees and sunny, so all of my lovely long wool coats, frock coats, knitted blouses, knee-high boots, winter skirts, er... anything that involves layering, really, can't be done (except for the occasional evening foray). Bluh.

. . .

get a taylor

I'll need to keep this in mind.

This is disappointing to hear. I miss your impeccable style.

I still haven't gotten a tailor, and it's something I really need to do given how much I care about a lot of my clothes that don't fit quite right. A lot of slim-fitting things work off the rack, but... again, that shoulder vs waist disparity on me. That said, my suit was tailored, and it's very close to right on me.

Not good at fashion since nothing fits me. In america, there is only XXL. And even if it does fit me I just don't like my current physique anyways. My parents gave me super large clothing since they shrink when washed and stuff. I was in that mindset for the longest time. Now I'm just working on filling out my clothing by eating /training more to gain weight so I'm not really attached to what I wear at the moment. But I imagine one day I will be really fashionable with simple clothing. I lean toward clothing that are easy to move around.I like the feel of cotton the most I think. I got rid of all my jeans a few years ago because they just feel terrible. Jeans nowadays are more loose and soft, but the ones at like walmart and such sucks so bad. I rather wear sweatpants to a place than go with jeans. Actually, I've been just in bed clothes even when going around. I guess I would put on some pants. I don't know what they are called, khakis? or chinos? They're not tight, a little loose, just regular work pants. looks okay but i have to wear a belt. belts suck too, since it makes the pant I'm wearing have this fold that rubs on my side. 

If there are some pants out there that are like work pants, but soft and you don't have to wear a belt, that would be cool. 

You're basically my same height/build but a little thinner, right? You're not taller than me, are you? Honestly, most small-sized shirts would fit you well. I don't know if you would like the way they'd make you look (I personally do), in which case most medium-sizes. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean when you talk about Americans having huge clothing.

Jeans can start to become comfortable in the $50-$100 price range. I tried on a pair at Macy's one time and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't really worn sweatpants in several years (other than a contemporary dance class three(?) years back). I'm pretty sure I wore khakis when I was youngish (10-14?), but I switched to jeans at some point and never went back. Something about khakis always felt wrong to me, but I should go back and give them a fresh try. And if you have pants that don't work without a belt, the waist size on them is too big. (I'm a 30-32. You might be a 28-32, which will suck to find.) This is possibly just my opinion, but pants should fit and stay up without a belt. The belt is kind of like a guarantee and it adds a bit of style (particularly if you like enjoyable belt buckles).

Speaking of enjoyable belt buckles, futureguy wore a Captain America belt buckle for his wedding.

Hmm, while typing this I realized that I don't really understand the distinction between khakis and chinos. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but while I've heard khakis referred to regularly while growing up, I can't remember hearing someone mention chinos until... maybe this year when Kirby included them in his description for his character in The Mansion? Anyway, I decided to Google the difference, which led me to an eBay guide describing the difference (and lack thereof in the mainstream), which in turn got me thinking that I need to find myself a pair of (dressy) chinos. I'm quite content wearing jeans, and while I should make a point of trying on some khakis at some point as a comparison, it sounds like a pair of chinos would add to my wardrobe (and give me something that might come across a tad less formal than my dress slacks). This is the kind of thing that makes me smile: getting a good idea out of this thread 'cause you guys are mentioning different things. :)