23 minutes ago, Bed said:

That guy looks nice, but this guy... I mean. I have this fear of things poking into me, including piercing, metals, hard stuff on my body. That's why I was looking for a Velcro belt. You know when you undress and find a crater or lines on your body? That was always weird to see. Plus, piercings look like they hurt too. And there's always gold poisoning, and something seems unclean when you see smears of skin or face oil on someone's metal accessories.

Generally, that has more to do with correct fit than anything else. Making sure your pants fit you properly in the waist, and then having the belt be snug rather than tight.

I don't think an additional 5 pounds changes much.

Does your weight fluctuate much? I've been trying near-desperately to put on weight this past year. I managed to put on about five pounds in the waist, just enough to hit normal waist size for my pant length, but then I lost it while I was sick over Christmas. My body really doesn't want to hold the extra weight.

I always thought vests were weird to be honest. I haven't grown up much... but I've always seen vests to be an adult classy stylish thing, and less of functionality. I also stereotyped people wearing them too, thinking people that wear them are rich. I don't think I can imagine myself wearing one...

I usually just wear regular sweaters, but I get it - makes me appear preppy when worn with a dress shirt. I was told specifically, that this isn't college, it's a professional work place while wearing such sweaters.

Vests are about functionality, at least compared to blazers and suit coats. Vests leave your shoulders (and thus arms) mobile. They just do less to build up the general appearance of your size (which is where blazers/suit coats excel).

I'm not particularly familiar with sweaters, but I think the formality comes from the fabric and look. It's definitely possible to find a formal sweater. Though sweaters are going to be less formal than vests or blazers.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:04 PM, Shattered Rift said:

Does your weight fluctuate much? I've been trying near-desperately to put on weight this past year. I managed to put on about five pounds in the waist, just enough to hit normal waist size for my pant length, but then I lost it while I was sick over Christmas. My body really doesn't want to hold the extra weight.

I'm not sure if I would call it a fluctuation. Maybe if +/- 10 pounds. I think I can gain 5 pounds if I keep a steady meal intake for a month. Like you, I can lose it easily if I don't continue, and that's really been my struggle.

Half of me really wants to gain weight, for aesthetics. The other half, I'm thinking it's probably more healthy to stay lean. Maybe I can be a bit more fit though because I sit around too much. I think the reality is that many "ideal" bodies are not really natural, and require continued preservation.

I checked out how to body build, and it requires extraneous amounts of food intake. It takes a lot of dedication to build up for a person that has a hard time gaining weight. It is very possible, but it becomes something in the forefront of your life rather than working side by side with your other priorities. The time I dedicated to gaining weight, I felt it was taking too much time thinking about food and exercise.

Also, the "Growth" factor is somewhat of a paranoia to me. Basically, gaining weight is tantamount to growing muscles. It's far more healthy than obtaining fat and you won't lose muscle as fast as fat, but the thing about growth is that you are basically aging faster, cycling through your body processes much faster, and your life span will probably be less than if you continued a state of slow growth. I think growth can be slowed down by eating and drinking certain things, though I can't say for sure - so don't take my word for it. But I think if you're constantly eating protein and exercising, there is some kind of strain to it that I worry may lead to bad things including aging, more wrinkles later, more body maintenance and other faster physiological processes.  I would find out if this is a myth, but too lazy. Seems obvious to me. It's just the downside is that you might encounter really bad health issues if you're too skinny, so I think I should just exercise enough to ride that edge.

I have been trying to get more fit for the past year or so as well.

Some things sticked with me, somethings don't.

I've been only eating home cooked food for a long time, by cooking once a week and splitting it into many days. I always have a meal ready, and I try to get at least 2 meals in a day. Each meal is quite hefty as well. I usually eat a third prepared meal or get something from the store to eat that day to mix things up. I've tried beef base meat, but I didn't feel good after eating beef with all the oil and stuff. So my protein source is mostly chicken, fish, potatoes, eggs. That usually accounts for half my meal, the other half is cooked vegetables, and some fruit smoothie. I've been able to keep this routine for a while now, and gained some 5 pounds even without exercising much.

I'm looking to put some time into a gym membership and go there every day. I tried weight lifting at home, but I usually get lazy - so hopefully this will work for me. I think if you're dancing for an hour everyday, that's probably enough. I think dancing takes a lot of physical effort, so I would probably say just continue to eat healthy. I'm not too worried about body aesthetics, though I feel too far self conscious of my form than I should care for... it's a struggle of image and what's important to me I suppose.

Edited by Bed

On 5/16/2017 at 5:02 AM, Bed said:

Half of me really wants to gain weight, for aesthetics. The other half, I'm thinking it's probably more healthy to stay lean. Maybe I can be a bit more fit though because I sit around too much. I think the reality is that many "ideal" bodies are not really natural, and require continued preservation.

I checked out how to body build, and it requires extraneous amounts of food intake. It takes a lot of dedication to build up for a person that has a hard time gaining weight. It is very possible, but it becomes something in the forefront of your life rather than working side by side with your other priorities. The time I dedicated to gaining weight, I felt it was taking too much time thinking about food and exercise.

Also, the "Growth" factor is somewhat of a paranoia to me. Basically, gaining weight is tantamount to growing muscles. It's far more healthy than obtaining fat and you won't lose muscle as fast as fat, but the thing about growth is that you are basically aging faster, cycling through your body processes much faster, and your life span will probably be less than if you continued a state of slow growth. I think growth can be slowed down by eating and drinking certain things, though I can't say for sure - so don't take my word for it. But I think if you're constantly eating protein and exercising, there is some kind of strain to it that I worry may lead to bad things including aging, more wrinkles later, more body maintenance and other faster physiological processes.  I would find out if this is a myth, but too lazy. Seems obvious to me. It's just the downside is that you might encounter really bad health issues if you're too skinny, so I think I should just exercise enough to ride that edge.

I had the discussion of aesthetics recently with a friend that spends time practically everyday at the gym. He doesn't look like one of the insanely ripped bodybuilder types, but he's in fantastic shape. One of the things he pointed out to me is the difference between strict weight-lifting of targeted areas vs calisthenics or a better-rounded approach. A portion of the bodybuilding community was inspired by Dragon Ball Z, and the appearance of Goku et. al is based on the well-rounded approach, and it's somewhat accurate to the in-series explanation that Goku and Vegeta do tons of pushups/sit-ups etc. Whereas the bodybuilder types with massive biceps/etc are focusing on those groups much more exclusively.

As a dancer, what I'm lacking is a sufficient amount of that well-roundedness. I need a lot of the auxiliary strength because of how hard I work every area. Meanwhile, because dancing is primarily cardio, it does little to build muscle and much more to burn calories. You mentioned growth, and my best understanding is that good physical health trumps some of the other problems, but more than that it's a matter of life expectancy vs quality of life. It's not worth living to be a hundred if you spend your last thirty years as an invalid. Better to live to be eighty and be healthy to the day you die.

On 5/16/2017 at 5:02 AM, Bed said:

I'm looking to put some time into a gym membership and go there every day. I tried weight lifting at home, but I usually get lazy - so hopefully this will work for me. I think if you're dancing for an hour everyday, that's probably enough. I think dancing takes a lot of physical effort, so I would probably say just continue to eat healthy. I'm not too worried about body aesthetics, though I feel too far self conscious of my form than I should care for... it's a struggle of image and what's important to me I suppose.

The key thing is getting into a regular habit with it. A gym membership could help, and putting money on the line can be motivating to some people. I'd also recommend finding a friend or coworker or someone to go with and help to hold you accountable.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Shattered Rift said:

One of the things he pointed out to me is the difference between strict weight-lifting of targeted areas vs calisthenics or a better-rounded approach.

I think Goku is still pretty cool though. I too wanted to be like Goku long ago. I think in the new series, they tried to make him a bit more lean, but I'm use to seeing the bulky muscles.

To compare, since I think girls have similar perspective as most guys in terms of opposite sex body types, I would say the muscular men that work to bulk up specific muscle groups are like female supermodels to men. When artificially enhanced, it looks kinda suspicious and even gross. But this ideal seems to be unrealistic... Because I don't think I will ever end up with a supermodel. So settle for a step down.  

The next best thing is sizeable man meat that you can use as a pillow. From a guy's perspective, a sizeable busts on girls seems to be the equivalent. Then there are more user-friendly body types who like average, not so much muscular, but shows hints/outlines of toned muscle. Overall, in general, culture depicts women less muscular and fit than men, but interestingly I noticed a comparable system or hierarchy for preferred body types in both men and women.

As a dancer, what I'm lacking is a sufficient amount of that well-roundedness.

When you say well-roundness, do you mean more flab or meat? When I think of Well-Roundedness, I think someone that has an ideal layer of fat around their body and more meat to produce a softness to touch. From what I remember, the way to do this is eating a lot, but not so intense exercise. You can always build muscles quickly by doing both, with some protein powder, and once you achieve desired weight and muscle, stop exercising and continue eating to make your body a bit softer

I think people will eventually get fat overtime as their metabolism slows down, it's just some people slow way down much later I guess.

You mentioned growth, and my best understanding is that good physical health trumps some of the other problems, but more than that it's a matter of life expectancy vs quality of life. It's not worth living to be a hundred if you spend your last thirty years as an invalid. Better to live to be eighty and be healthy to the day you die.

Yes, a good physical health trumps all, and my rationale is by no means the best way to go out. There is a return that I was hoping for... And it is a bit out there. probably 1% possible outcome... It's something like, Maybe I can get pass that hurtle when a significant scientific breakthrough happens? Maybe if I can make it out a little longer to get there. I am not too concerned about my own mortality, and the reason I wish to see the future, and continue to see the future beyond the current limit cap is because I am curious at how things will turn out. Naturally, I like to observe what happens. If it becomes a sort of heaven, I would certainly wish to be selected to enter that realm.

The key thing is getting into a regular habit with it. A gym membership could help, and putting money on the line can be motivating to some people. I'd also recommend finding a friend or coworker or someone to go with and help to hold you accountable.

I think if someone was there with me, that isn't too spectacular, that would be great. I've poured money into various projects and experienced complete failure... But I've found a new motivation: back pains.

Edited by Bed