Sign in to follow this  
Shattered Rift

Staff Applications Are Open

During the past two months, between All-Stars preparations and the game itself, I've had the wonderful opportunity to catch up with old friends, make new ones, and see where life has taken many of you. I've also been reminded just how experienced and talented a group of people we have here in the Sparkbomb community. Some people have begun to ask how they can get involved, and I feel that now is an appropriate time to open Staff applications.

Some of you will recall that I took a bit of time before reassembling the Staff Team earlier this year. While I'm quite happy with the existing team, we ended up a bit short-handed, particularly during All-Stars. There's certainly room to expand the team, and I think now is a time when people might be most interested in getting involved.

Of course, becoming a Staff member isn't the only way to get involved with the community. There are both site-based and community-based routes. On the site-side, I'm looking for blog writers, additional help with SparkWiki's Werewolf element, and there are several Werewolf discussions going on that would always benefit from more input. (I would normally mention hosting Werewolf games, but many of you have already put in applications for that.) There are also several community-based elements, such as Sparkbomb Hour, Sparkbomb Gaming League , the Mansionverse role play, and Sparkbomb Idol (which has been a thing in the past). I'd like to emphasize these are merely what exist today. It's entirely possible for someone to begin their own project and bring something new to the table.

For those of you who do decide to apply for a Staff position, involvement with the community will be one of the chief determining factors as we consider your application.

As an additional (and completely optional) element, some previous applicants have taken to campaigning in Random Chat or signatures as they've “run for office.” It's not necessary to do so, but it adds a fun component to things that we encourage.

Requirements

• Applicants must have at least 100 posts by August 31st. (Remember, posts made in Random Chat do not add to your post count.)
  • The Application Form must be submitted to me via PM by August 31st. The Application Form should not be submitted in this thread. (Please note that submitting your Application Form sooner gives us more time to consider your application.

Application Form

1) How did you find out about Sparkbomb? When and why did you join this community?

2) What has been your experience here since joining? What memories, good and bad, do you have of the community?

3) What are you currently doing to contribute to the community?

4) Why do you want to be a part of the Staff Team?

5) What previous management, leadership, or moderator experience do you have? What experience do you have that you feel would directly relate to the position of Staff member?

6) Which qualities do you feel are important for a staff member to possess? Which of these qualities do you possess?

7) What do you believe the Staff Team's goals should be?

8) As a Staff member, what would you want your assignment to be? What would your goals be?

Edited by Shattered Rift

I would like to be considered as staff due to my overwhelming contributions to the community and vast experience in conflict resolution.

Edited by Sinical

I have never been clear on everything the staff does nor have I ever applied.

Not that much, if the past is any indication.

Since I know my application is eagerly awaited, I shall post it. I may post my application here to scare everyone off with my amazing answers.

Sure why not.

I would like to be considered as staff due to my overwhelming contributions to the community and vast experience in conflict resolution.

...can we have running mates?

We need another election thread! That worked great last time!

EDIT:

I just noticed that I only have 68 posts. Darn. Gotta need to kick it into gear!

Edited by Lixyl

I have never been clear on everything the staff does nor have I ever applied.

Each Staff member typically has three primary tasks: moderation, discussion, and a personal assignment/goal. There are also occasional team-based projects. Moderation includes the general mod job in the community as well as the behind-the-scenes discussion (which may end up being a fairly involved matter depending on the final structure of the improved warning system). Discussion refers to the Staff-side discussions. While several topics are discussed out in the open, and while I spend quite a bit of time listening to them, a lot of the final decisions are made in the Staff Room. (As an example, at the end of last year we discussed switching over to the new forum software. There was quite a bit of debate about whether it was a necessary change, whether IPS was the right software, whether the old forum should be converted or archived, etc.) The personal assignment/goal is usually determined during the application process and sometimes shifts over time. For example, Lixyl claims that the answer is "not much," but he was originally hired a couple of years ago on the premise that he would continue his hyperactivity (posting in virtually every thread) and keeping an eye for posts/situations that needed to be moderated. (There weren't very many of the latter back then.) His goal/assignment was to effectively give the forum a continuous booster shot. I would mention other examples, but I'm curious to see what people come up with on their own. That's one of the most insightful parts of this process for me.

Staff are also seen with a bit of respect and looked to for conflict resolution. I'm sure several people are wondering where the line is going to be drawn for civility in Werewolf, and it's the borderline cases where I think a Staff member politely asking members to stand down that people are going to be grateful to see. I think there was a bit of confusion when there wasn't enough of this happening during All-Stars.

Since I know my application is eagerly awaited, I shall post it. I may post my application here to scare everyone off with my amazing answers.

I'm mostly waiting for your campaigning. That's the whole reason you weren't retained as Staff, after all. (To anyone casually observing this exchange: Lixyl was on Staff in the past, but his real life has (had?) been too busy and he felt he shouldn't retain the position.)

...can we have running mates?

Nell, you're brilliant and just added a whole new angle to the campaigns. (Disclaimer: Applicants will be considered on an individual basis.)

I can make campaign posters/sigs/etc? I won't apply, but might be something graphic designy I can contribute during my free time.

:D

We need another election thread! That worked great last time!

Yes it did! If Lixyl gets elected, maple syrup for everyone~!

I would like to be considered as staff due to blatant favoritism/cronyism, blackmail held against the head administrator, historical precedence, and general malarky.

Remember kiddies, vote early, vote often, vote NO for Liz on staff!

Edited by Liz

Not to disrupt the humor too much, but I would like to emphasize that I am taking all posts here as serious applications (so far including Sinical, Lixyl, Nell, and Liz). (I haven't yet confirmed that Lixyl is actually serious, but at this point I assume he is.) If anyone would like to make a joke application, please reserve that for the upcoming Campaigning thread in Random Chat. (Bonus points to anyone who makes a campaign ad video.)

This is curiosity to me since I haven't been around before when you had staff apps.

What is the purpose of having people post publicly to apply?

Every place I've ever been on staff (where I wasn't the sole moderator such as on mailing lists), apps were private. I think the idea was that people didn't really want to apply and then to know that everyone knew if weren't selected, so I'm curious about the public process.

Also, do people really campaign for it? Does that help them? If so, how?

I would like to be considered as staff due to blatant favoritism/cronyism, blackmail held against the head administrator, historical precedence, and general malarky.

down with rift! Reappoint Liz and Clucky as admins! 

This is curiosity to me since I haven't been around before when you had staff apps.

What is the purpose of having people post publicly to apply?

Every place I've ever been on staff (where I wasn't the sole moderator such as on mailing lists), apps were private. I think the idea was that people didn't really want to apply and then to know that everyone knew if weren't selected, so I'm curious about the public process.

Also, do people really campaign for it? Does that help them? If so, how?

It was done publicly the last two times. Thinking about it now... the main benefit that comes from posting a desire to apply is that it lets them join in the campaign process formally here. The campaigning is largely a "for fun" element. It adds a bit of memorable lightheartedness and can present an opportunity for people to join in who aren't applying but do want to show support for a particular applicant (or for all applicants). If I remember correctly, a bit of fanart flew around during the application period when Lixyl was hired.

It didn't occur to me that someone might not want their rejection publicly suggested. The way things will be handled is that a number of applicants will be chosen to proceed to Phase 2 (the interview process). Those members' names will be mentioned publicly, as anyone who makes it to Phase 2 is being seriously considered for a Staff position, and any concerns by the community should be brought to my attention. However, if people want to apply privately, I don't want to discourage them. In the light, I'll strike the need to post here from the rules and instead consider an application submitted once the actual questions and answers are sent in.

down with rift! Reappoint Liz and Clucky as admins! 

'twas a dark era in Sparkbomb's past. Where be my pirate? She be supposed to be helpin' me prevent mutiny by dealin' with these scalawags!

After being either a moderator, supermoderator, administrator, co-founder, or founder on various sites, including IDB, NCW, and about 15 others, and meeting your staff requirements after only coming here for one Werewolf game, I feel I am eminently qualified for the position of "Guy who hands you a cutlass during mutinies, but otherwise has no authority or responsibility". Gwhyacdmbohnaor for short. :)

In all seriousness, I am interested in helping with Werewolf related stuff, but I don't even know what sparks or bombs are involved with everything else here, so I'd rather be a powerless n00b who helps out as needed... That said, I don't know if I'd be of any use to you, or just the crotchety old guy who grumbles about the good old days.

I feel the need to post my application here publicly, as I do not trust the current oligarchy in power.

Firstly, I would like to remind people that I am the rightly elected admin of sparkbomb according to a popular vote of the constituents. But the current ruling party did not like that and sabotaged the elections. 

They denied me my rightful position as ruler. 

They denied you your cake! 

We should not let this go without a fight.

Demand me as your new overseer.

1) How did you find out about Sparkbomb? When and why did you join this community?

I found out about sparkbomb through other werewolf communities approximately 4 internet decades ago and have been an active resident since.

I joined this community because I believe in the strong moral values that are held here where swearing is not allowed, but enacting the death penalty based on mob rule is frequently advocated.

2) What has been your experience here since joining? What memories, good and bad, do you have of the community?

love this community and only have great things to say about it. I frequently meet with my constituents and it's always a pleasure doing so. But just the other day, one of them came up and said to me

"Dear Lord sinical. When are you going to take your natural place as ruler of Sparkbomb?"

I then had to explain to the poor little guy that oligarchies don't work that way and how democracy was dead. Seeing the poor guy's tears was the worst moment I have had here and is what has motivated me to fight this impossible fight against totalitarianism. 

3) What are you currently doing to contribute to the community?

I am an active participant in many community activities, including the earlier mentioned lynchings. In the past I have also run pokemon competitions which have only stopped due to lack of interest.

I also volunteer weekly at the spark orphange, to help those poor kids who lose their parents in all this senseless violence.

4) Why do you want to be a part of the Staff Team?

I believe that the current staff consist of "Rift and the yesmen". There is no effective opposition to anything that Rift wants. He will ignore a simple thing which the whole forum wants if it is not something he personally wishes for.

I will stand up against this line of thinking and bring both fairness and the shoutbox back to sparkbomb.

5) What previous management, leadership, or moderator experience do you have? What experience do you have that you feel would directly relate to the position of Staff member?

I was a moderator for solomid.net, a LoL based website which is highly profitable and valued in the millions. I believe that all my experience there is more than relevant as I was dealing with the same problems, but with a much larger and more aggressive member base.

Additionally, Rift wants to turn SB into a profitable website, and by appointing me as staff it will mean that SB will share at least one thing in common with a highly profitable website.

6) Which qualities do you feel are important for a staff member to possess? Which of these qualities do you possess?

I believe that staff should have all of the following.

1: The ability to breathe. If you cannot even breathe then I highly doubt a person would be able to perform the necessary tasks as staff.

2: The ability to stand up to pressure and do what is right. Without this, any further appointments to staff will be pointless as it will continue to be "Rift and the yesmen"

3: Belief that the holocaust happened. Holocaust deniers are bad people and should not be made staff.

4: The ability to do the impossible. Ro ro, fight the powa.

Needless to say, I have all of those qualities and more.

7) What do you believe the Staff Team's goals should be?

As a staff team as a whole, I believe that we should keep the peace, bring back the shoutbox, create and participate in community activities and just generally make this community a better place for all the wonderful people here.

8) As a Staff member, what would you want your assignment to be? What would your goals be?

If elected, I will cut crime, reduce unemployment and campaign for equal marriage rights for werewolves.

Remember, I will listen to you when nobody else will.
I will act when nobody else will.
A vote for me, is a vote for yourself.

I now open the floor to any questions.
Edited by Sinical

After being either a moderator, supermoderator, administrator, co-founder, or founder on various sites, including IDB, NCW, and about 15 others, and meeting your staff requirements after only coming here for one Werewolf game, I feel I am eminently qualified for the position of "Guy who hands you a cutlass during mutinies, but otherwise has no authority or responsibility". Gwhyacdmbohnaor for short. :)

In all seriousness, I am interested in helping with Werewolf related stuff, but I don't even know what sparks or bombs are involved with everything else here, so I'd rather be a powerless n00b who helps out as needed... That said, I don't know if I'd be of any use to you, or just the crotchety old guy who grumbles about the good old days.

That decision is up to you. There's definitely room to get involved in a non-Staff capacity if you want to remain Gwhyacdmbohnaor (such as hosting Werewolf games, getting involved with discussions, etc).

Also, I would like to remind everyone that applications must be submitted to me via PM. Choosing to post them is your choice, but they will not be considered to be officially submitted until they reach my Inbox.

Lastly, it appears a Campaign Thread has been started- wait a second. What is Sparkbot doing?