Shattered Rift

Black Friday

Is it just me, or are this year's Black Friday deals looking pretty meh? Literally the only thing that's caught my eye has been Mario 3D Land for $15 at Target. I'd been hoping to see a significant discount on the Wii U (akin to last year's super cheap 3DS's), but it looks like the strategy is just to bundle more games with them. And Amazon is either devoid of its usual game deals or has somehow kept their Thursday/Friday deals completely secret.

Of course, I usually focus on video games on Black Friday (since most of the deals can be ordered online). What about you guys? Is there anything you've seen an especially good deal on coming up? Do you do the whole Black Friday rush? Or are you skeptical about the supposedly good deals that frequently aren't?

I generally stick around for Cyber Monday, or if there are decent BF deals online.  I did the whole 'go to the store' thing exactly once.  NEVER AGAIN.

This is going to be the first year in a long time that I've not gone to the store. I've usually used it as a good day to go and get a decent deal on gifts for Christmas. So clothes for my mom and sister (who also have birthdays in Jan/Feb, so Day after Christmas sales are also a big deal for me), games, books, etc for everyone. 

I read a really good summary today of when better deals are likely to come up, though. I'd been noticing some of these over the past couple of years as I've paid for more and more of my shopping on my own (I miss shopping with my dad). I'll be waiting until the Back to School sales for laptops next year, that's for sure.

I generally stick around for Cyber Monday, or if there are decent BF deals online.  I did the whole 'go to the store' thing exactly once.  NEVER AGAIN.

Which store? I hit up Toys'R'Us and Walmart a few years back. With TRU I forgot about their markup and thought one of the deals was going to be better than it actually was. That line was insane. The Walmart wasn't so bad, but that's probably because a solid half hour to forty minutes had passed since they opened the doors.

This is going to be the first year in a long time that I've not gone to the store. I've usually used it as a good day to go and get a decent deal on gifts for Christmas. So clothes for my mom and sister (who also have birthdays in Jan/Feb, so Day after Christmas sales are also a big deal for me), games, books, etc for everyone. 

I read a really good summary today of when better deals are likely to come up, though. I'd been noticing some of these over the past couple of years as I've paid for more and more of my shopping on my own (I miss shopping with my dad). I'll be waiting until the Back to School sales for laptops next year, that's for sure.

I don't really understand why Boxing Day hasn't taken off in the US.

Thanks for the link. It's nice to have some insight into product types that I don't pay as close of attention to during the rest of the year.

If you pay attention to the sales throughout the year, you will see that the deals from throughout the year are about the same as those on Black Friday on certain things (Super Bowl sales in particular for Televisions).  It really isn't worth the hassle, especially factoring in the amount of crazies that think they are getting the only deal they will ever get, and are willing to fight to the death for these deals.

But man...  there are some funny stories to be told about Black Friday from my days working at Wal-Mart.