Shattered Rift

Thanksgiving and Gratitude

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and I hope that all of you are able to spend it with family or friends in front of a nice meal. To everyone living outside of the US, well, I still wish you the same. Good eating with good company is always a good thing.

I'd like anyone who posts to share something they're grateful for. To add the appropriate Sparkbomb twist to this thread, feel free to make it something Sparkbomb-related. Or if you're feeling ambitious, go ahead and mention something of both general gratitude and Sparkbomb gratitude.

After a rough summer, I'm pretty grateful to be in good health and completely in the clear. (Well, I do still need to keep an eye on certain things.) Funny enough, I've got a cold going right now, and it's reminding me what it's like to have a more "normal" sick. Which isn't so bad.A

As a more minor and material thing, I'm grateful for the recent teaching job my dance teacher hooked me up with. It's extremely minimal hours and all that, but it's the kind of thing that supplements well with my current Sparkbomb schedule.

On the Sparkbomb front, I'm very grateful to have finished a game that's completely mine. I wasn't originally going to mention this until my next Reflection blog, but having completed Turf War feels different from working on the Spark Game all of those years. Even though I had made the Spark Game mine with so many custom items, userstore/gallery code that I wrote, and Competitions, the core game wasn't mine. Turf War's core gameplay is mine, though. I feel like, for the first time in my life, I can say that I created a game. And that's a pretty amazing feeling.

I gave thanks before in the news announcement about Turf War, but I think I'll say it again here. Asking for the financial help all year, the donations, was a difficult thing to do. In some ways I was crowdfunding a project that I couldn't quite put into words. Yes, the site has costs (the new forum software, hosting, incidental stuff). But there wasn't anything completely new. We were still hosting Werewolf. The Spark Game was gone. SparkWiki was far from a unique resource. The Mansion was coming along more slowly than originally expected. Turf War feels like it's filling the gap.

And, of course, I couldn't have written Turf War without help. NPM has been taking care of Werewolf, which is the most demanding front-end element of the community. Rex helped me extensively by asking exactly the right questions to flesh out certain elements of the game, and he helped me figure out all of the numbers almost instantly. And Stratus found the time to help with some alpha testing despite being preoccupied with his mother's health issues. Lastly, of course, is everyone who has been actively playing Werewolf and signed up for for our first game of Turf War. A game's not as fun without players, and at this point I think we'll have a solid group (though more certainly wouldn't hurt).

Those are my thoughts of gratitude going into Thanksgiving. What are yours?

This year I'm profoundly thankful for my family. Facing that this is the last holidays I'll get with my mom makes me see things differently.

I'm thankful for the fact that I was able to move to Arizona to do more for my mom and be with her here at the end.

I'm thankful for my faith. Beyond a church or congregation, I have a personal relationship with my God and knowledge that allows me to be rooted in that relationship.

I am thankful for my friends both irl and here. These connections provide strength and are a constant source of comfort. Thank you all.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm grateful first and foremost for my friends and family. I've made a lot of big changes this year, and they have been such a great support. I'm grateful for the friends I love and miss as well as those I've made here in Denver.

I'm grateful for the little cousin who has decided I'm her cuddle buddy for the day. Cuddling is good.

I'm grateful for my new job and the wonderful team there.

I'm grateful for the friends I've made here on Sparkbomb. Especially during some if the right times of the year, you guys have been a wonderful escape.

Let's do the cultural dominance right!

I've got my peeps, I've lost like 25 kilograms of body weight so far, and I'm being payed for studying. Living the dream so far, and for that I am thankful.