Sinical

Werewolf R&R

462 posts in this topic

"I have a question for you"

The other two at the table glanced at the hooded speaker curiously. "Which is the more effective option. Destroying those that oppose you, or converting them to your cause?"

The old man at the table showed visible signs of thinking, a slower process than it may have once been, but instead the silence was broken by the young girl, "Well of course it's converting. That way you remove an opponent but gain an ally, instead of just removing an opponent". The old man smirked,

"But men change their mind all the time. It is possible for your new allies to turn on you, but a dead man stays dead. Destroying those that oppose you is the superior route."

A strange tension filled the air following what was seemingly an innocuous question. They turned back to the one in the hood, "Why do you ask?"

"Oh, it's nothing important. I was just reminiscing about a holiday a while back. Have you been to Japan? Lovely beaches, you should go sometime." The other two said nothing, but seemingly showed some level of interest, so the hooded man carried on. "Well, the place I was staying was a small resort that was plagued with rumours. Apparently it was haunted, or cursed...or something equally as terrifying, but it was also cheap and beautiful. As I considered myself a rational person that did not believe in the supernatural but liked a good deal, it seemed like the perfect place to go. I was...I was wrong"

The hooded figure surveyed their reactions before carrying on. "Have you heard of the legendary sword 'Saika'?"

The old man shook his head while the girl gazed with interest. "It's a very special sword. It's said to be able to control the hearts and minds of men. Now, it's far from the first historical item to make such claims, but it is certainly the first I'm aware of that backs those claims up. You see, the resort that I stayed at, was where Saika was housed, and all of the rumours of killings and disappearances probably could have been traced back to this sword."

The hooded figure took a gulp from his drink.

"My story begins about four days into my stay there. The first three were uneventful, but pleasant days spent lying around on beaches. But day four, that's when Saika was stolen from the local shrine and the first body showed up soon after. Time for the police to arrive right? Nope.

Apparently the local shrine had their own way of dealing with this incident, something about five hundred years of tradition. Well, before I knew it the whole area was on lockdown and we were making group decisions everyday on who to sacrifice to appease the shrine god."

The hooded figure sighed.

"Japan is ######ing crazy"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player list

1. Blacjak

2. Killer

3. Rex

4. Rift

5. Jose: Governor, executed day 5.

6. Cel

7. Red: Saika wielder, executed day 7.

8. Steev

9. Nell

10. Inu: Saika wielder, executed day 4.

11. Clucky: Seer, executed day 6.

12. Qanda: Jailer, killed night 3.

13. NPM

14. weee

Standard rules apply.

No PIs.

Execution is plurality.

Execution takes place at 2AM, GMT. (That's 9PM EST)

Night lists will need to be in by that time.

There are no shields or health.

Day one ends 9PM EST on Tuesday the 9th of December.

Edited by Sinical

Post updated. Plot may or may not be important. If you have not received your role yet, please let me know.

Finally a game where I don't have to mentally add or subtract a day from the stated dates.

From the opening scene, it seems like conversions will definitely be in the game. And if there are conversions, this means that the game will start with a higher innocent:evil ratio, making first-day executions an even worse proposition than usual.

Vote: Nobody

Edited by Qanda

It also implies the option of counter-conversions or re-conversions. Not disagreeing with what it means for day one ratios, but it's an interesting concept.

Vote: nobody

I played a WW variant where baddie team captains were randomly chosen, and then they could recruit anyone they wanted from the remaining pool of players. Not only that, they could direct recruits to recruit other players without revealing the identity of the team captain. You could even get recruited by multiple teams and then choose which team to be a double-agent for, and you could change allegiance throughout the game.

I doubt the mechanic will be that complicated in this game, though. It is supposed to be a more typical game...

Sorry, Nobody, but you have stolen too much cheese lately.

So, what's the implication of the sword? Normally, a sword implies only one person, but it would be odd not to have a team in a game this size.

Wow, 9 PM Eastern?  I'm actually going to be able to see night result before going to bed?  Awesome!

Anyway, I agree with the logic of not executing day 1.  It does seem likely there will be conversions.   

I played a WW variant where baddie team captains were randomly chosen, and then they could recruit anyone they wanted from the remaining pool of players. Not only that, they could direct recruits to recruit other players without revealing the identity of the team captain. You could even get recruited by multiple teams and then choose which team to be a double-agent for, and you could change allegiance throughout the game.

I doubt the mechanic will be that complicated in this game, though. It is supposed to be a more typical game...

Indeed, that mechanic would break the game; too hard to make proper balance if there are dreamers/vigilantes and whatnot.

At least we should try to say "hi" to our neighbors before killing them.

Well, I'm another day 1 fan of nobody votes unless there is something that occurs during Day 1 that gives us some information.  Otherwise, we are far more likely to just execute an innocent which doesn't help us in the least, particularly on Day 1.  Executing innocents is never good, of course, but later in the game it sometimes at least gives us valuable information.  A Day 1 execution of an innocent gives us nothing valuable.

Vote:  Nobody

Vote Tally:
Nobody (8): Qanda, weee, Cel, Red, Inu, Steev, Jose, NPM

weee (1): Clucky
Clucky (1): Killer

Day 1 ends in ~28 hours.

Well, I'm another day 1 fan of nobody votes unless there is something that occurs during Day 1 that gives us some information.  Otherwise, we are far more likely to just execute an innocent which doesn't help us in the least, particularly on Day 1.  Executing innocents is never good, of course, but later in the game it sometimes at least gives us valuable information.  A Day 1 execution of an innocent gives us nothing valuable.

Vote:  Nobody

Sure, if we just randomly pick an innocent target and everyone votes on it, we might not get a whole lot. That is part of why day one is doubly long so we have more time to watch how people behave and switch votes around and actually make use of day one rather than just sitting on our hands and letting the wolves grab the advantage.

Is anyone else worried that Sinox is just trolling us with the plot and the game doesn't have any conversions?

Clucky, all someone has to do on day 1 is cite the lack of info to go under the radar, or, complain about the lack of votes as you are doing. The notion that first day voting reveals anything has long been disproved. The only time anything meaningful happens the first day is when Sinical does a role claim.

That said, since the first day votes are known to work against us, you might want to argue your case for why we should believe you aren't holding a sword.

EDIT: Rift, you make a good point. The sword seems like a clear kill-only tool that at worst might possess it's holder, meaning post-death conversion. There is no mention of anything else that might cause conversion.

Edited by InuyashaOhki

Clucky, all someone has to do on day 1 is cite the lack of info to go under the radar, or, complain about the lack of votes as you are doing. The notion that first day voting reveals anything has long been disproved. The only time anything meaningful happens the first day is when Sinical does a role claim.

That said, since the first day votes are known to work against us, you might want to argue your case for why we should believe you aren't holding a sword.

EDIT: Rift, you make a good point. The sword seems like a clear kill-only tool that at worst might possess it's holder, meaning post-death conversion. There is no mention of anything else that might cause conversion.

I've certainly played games where people make reads based on what they did day 1. But the only way that happens is if we get votes. If everyone just votes nobody or throws up a random vote and leaves we get nothing.

It is impossible to read anything from Day 1 IMO. Baddies are smart enough to not defend their team mates or might even throw a vote on them just to avert suspicion later. And waiting till Day 2 doesn't mean we let the baddies have the initiative. Innocents have dreamers and other power roles that work at night too. The worse thing that could happen is executing our dreamer on Day 1 and screwing ourselves for the rest of the game.