Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.  Beat the game, beat the Delta Episode, caught Rayquay-quay and Deoxys.  Working on building a bit more viable team for Wifi battles.  My team has undergone some changes since my last post.  Nicnames have changed and roster has changed as well.  The details are as follows.

Arrancar (Aegislash Female) LV89

Named for the Iconic Hollows from Bleach.  I felt it appropriate, considering Aegislash's nature.  Was renamed following the defeat of the E4 and Champion.

Sovereign (Serperior Male) LV85

Named for its regal stance.  It looks down on others like Zhuqiaomon from Digimon Tamers.  Was renamed following the defeat of the E4.

Poseidon (Swampert Male) LV87 (Mega-Evolution)

Self-explanatory. Forget Primal Kyogre--M-Swampert is the real king of the sea.

Rayquaza (Event Release) LV93 (M-E)

The shiny Rayquay-quay that was released via Mystery Gift.  Can't rename it.  Love it to death.  Probably will replace it in the near future, however...  its nice having a freaking shiny Dragon that can demolish everything.

Mustang (Emboar Male) LV85

So...  named this for Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist.  

Rasputin (Alakazam Male) LV85 (M-E)

Look at that beard.  JUST LOOK AT IT.  WHAT ELSE COULD I HAVE NAMED HIM?!

~~~

~~~

~~~

New Prospects:

I'm replacing most of my party.  Alakazam, Emboar, Rayquaza, and Serperior will be getting shifted out in favor of dual-type Pokemon.

I'm thinking of breeding my Charizard from Y so I have Fire/Flying/Dragon coverage.  Going to breed a Gallade for Fighting/Psychic coverage.  A Treecko for Grass and later Dragon coverage, or maybe a Shiftry for Grass/Dark.  Lastly, I'm going to try and breed an Electrivire, and try to put some effort in raising its defense and HP for Electric coverage.  Thoughts?  

Hi hi, so I got caught up in Alpha Sapphire again due to the fact I want a completed national dex for once in my life. Yeah that sounds lame but before I didn't really care about completing a dex until they made Alpha Sappire. Hoenn is my second favorite region behind Kanto and I love the starters and their evolutions so I gotta catch them all.

So, I've been playing this app a lot called Walking Dead. Pretty fun, pretty simple. Something that you can have going while you're doing other things. (I'm actually fighting some zombies at time of writing).

Another "phone game" is one called Zombies, Run, which has basically been what has gotten me to exercise for the first time in years (and I've dubbed "number one game of the decade" for doing so). You're a Runner for a township in a zombie apocalypse and you run missions for the town, things like getting supplies, rescuing survivors ect. You have a headset, which is how the communication between you and the town works as you're out running. It's kind of like a GM for a DnD game, describing what you see and where you need to run, though never actually dictating where you're running IRL. The story is really interesting and it unfolds in an episodic fashion and you can set how long or how far you'd like to run per episode. You pick up various supplies as you're running and then can upgrade your town by what you've picked up when you get done. You can also turn on zombie chases, which forces you to increase speed during your run or lose supplies if you get caught (you throw the supplies behind you to distract them and get away). It's a free app, though I went ahead and subscribed to get some extra things. Basically you can run to your heart's content without subscribing, but it eventually limits how quickly you can advance the story itself (but you can still replay previous episodes and such) and you get a few extras if you subscribe. I thought it deserved my money, and it's like $20 for an entire year of using it, which is cheaper than any gym I've heard about and has worked for me better than any gym ever did anyway. It's like, I want to get out and run because I want to know what happens next. xD

Besides League of Legends off and on, there's also the occasional pick-up Smite Arena game. They just introduced Chiron as a PC and I may or may not have made a squee of nerdy joy about it.

I also typically play at least one game of Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (I don't have the DLC for it, though I do plan on spending the money on it eventually) and one game of Our Darker Purpose (BoI's "intellectual" younger sibling, imo) a day.

There's also this free game on Steam called AdVenture Capitalist that's one of those clicky-click ones like Cookie Clicker that I check in on about once a day.

I also may have bought Call of Duty: World at War for myself and a friend recently because I'm a Nazi Zombie mode addict and it's fun to hop on a play a couple of sessions with him every so often.

I was playing Don't Starve Together there for a while. I look for servers that are over a thousand days old (or at least over a hundred) and play as Webber and run around collecting all the items that were dropped when other players died. I call myself The Collector in my head, basically forming this giant base camp where I gather all the stuff together and allow myself to go into Completionist mode where I HAVE to pick up everything and make the server all nice and neat by grouping everything into an order so it's all pretty and there aren't any dead bodies/skeletons lying around on the server. Whee!

On the list of "things that are downloaded on Steam that I used to play regularly, but I haven't been playing them super recently" are games like Borderlands (got it for like $5 with all the DLC on a Humble Bundle and I couldn't resist), Starbound, Torchlight II, Sunless Sea, Terraria, Magicite, and Knock-Knock. 

I've beaten Borderlands on console before, haven't played much Starbound but heard they've updated it quite well and eventually want to try it out again, never beat TL2 but have wanted to, used to play Sunless Sea all the time and is another one they've updated a lot and have been meaning to get back into, have basically done everything in Magicite and Terraria, and have basically all the achievements for Knock-Knock.

I'm getting super pumped for Pathologic, another Ice-Pick Lodge (Knock-Knock) game that should be being released relatively soon. Hype!

Oh I forgot to include The Walking Dead to my list. Let's see, I went back to Pokemon Black 2 for awhile to finish somethings up. I am still playing Pokemon Conquest on my down time and The Sims 4when I can since I don't have a computer at my new place. If watching counts as playing: My boyfriend of a year is playing Fall out Four and Dark Souls 2.

Been playing Mario Kart 8 when I find the time since picking it up a week and a half ago. It's already become the most played game on my Wii U list, which doesn't bode particularly well. Really love the DLC, and I miss SNES F-Zero. Still playing Simpsons Tapped Out well over a year after starting. (The writing is just so good~!) Finished my replay of Dragon Quest II on android. Was a bit disappointed at how much the difficulty was lowered. I'm nearly positive that the experience gain has been doubled (or tripled?) on the mobile versions. I want to play something or other on Steam, but I rarely get around to doing so.

Tapped out is easily one of my go tos when I need a break from reality. I do play the Family Guy app but I prefer Tapped Out. I need a Wii U before I can play those awesome games. Dragon Quest is another reason I took up gaming as a hobby. Though I will admit I know less about it than I should. I know I want another RPG game like Pokemon Dungeon, I love the series way too much. I want to picked up my Digimon World Dusk and Dawn but I misplaced them during my move. My youngest sister has our Wii so I can't play any of my faves and I am becoming addicted to Fall out four and I blame it on my boyfriend since he plays it all the time.

New Digimon game on PS4 /Vita. Digimon Story, so basically the same game mechanics as the DS titles with some new stuff added to make it interesting (field-use Hacking Skills, the ability to Load Digimon with the Data from others, etc.). Its lots of fun, and one of the first CG engine Digimon games we've seen from Japan since the PS2/Gamecube titles (All-Star Rumble doesn't count).

Have a party of three, Two Ultimates and a Rookie. Just got my DLC partners from preordering, so trying to raise one of them in my team. And Cyberdramon and Rapidmon are more than enough to cut down enemies before they become a danger to BlackGabumon, anyways.

The only things I don't like are the fact that Hacking Kills are field use only and have some pretty annoying requirements to use. They should have battle Hack Skills, that allow the player to speed up or overpower one of their partners. Would be cool.

The other thing is you spend lots of time in the DigiLab. Because you can't digivolve outside of it. Even though you have a "Digivice." 😒

I play Smite on Xbox One, mostly.

It's so much simpler to turn on my Xbox instead of my PC. I don't have a desk for my pc so it's sort of a pain to use right now. -_-

Anyway, if anybody plays Smite on xbone, hit me up. lionwiggles = gamer tag. 

So, I kind of went on an RPG binge after playing the hell out of undertale. Dragons age origins/valkyria chronicles both played to completion coming to a total of 90 hours played. Also finally played some neptunia after being bugged to do so for a while, and it was as bad as I had really expected. Then recently moved on to dragons dogma if you count that as an RPG with took another 50 of my hours....I haven't really had the time to do anything after that. Not bothered though, as other than Nep they were all great games. Think I'm actually out of RPGs though now.

In other news, I've still been playing street fighter 4 at a semi-competitive level, and am now at the point of not doing totally awfully at tournaments now, so that's good. With sf5 coming out though, which I'm not a huge fan of (In contrast to my earlier comment), I've started learning guilty gear and holy ###### it's probably my favourite fighting game of all time. Sleep fighter and blazgreen don't compare.

Edited by Sinical

On 2/4/2016 at 2:38 PM, Code said:

New Digimon game on PS4 /Vita. Digimon Story, so basically the same game mechanics as the DS titles with some new stuff added to make it interesting (field-use Hacking Skills, the ability to Load Digimon with the Data from others, etc.).

Is it as mediocre-feeling as the DS titles? I remember playing through World DS and being annoyed at the lack of difference in power levels at different evolutions (rookies being on par with megas) and finding the battle system pretty meh (though I'll likely forgive that to play some Digimons). Don't have a PS4/Vita yet, though, so I don't know when I'll be picking it up.

On 2/11/2016 at 2:26 AM, Shattered Rift said:

Is it as mediocre-feeling as the DS titles? I remember playing through World DS and being annoyed at the lack of difference in power levels at different evolutions (rookies being on par with megas) and finding the battle system pretty meh (though I'll likely forgive that to play some Digimons). Don't have a PS4/Vita yet, though, so I don't know when I'll be picking it up.

Truthfully, they have added lots of new features to the battle system that were not present in the original series games.  Digimon no longer belong to specific species groups (i.e. Dragon, Holy, Dark, etc.) and instead are divided up amongst different elemental variations of the standard Data, Virus and Vaccine types.  These elemental properties as well as types influence weaknesses and resistances.  Additionally, certain digimon retain an elemental property, but not a specific type--they are called "Neutral" Types.  These do not have a specific alignment to Data, Virus or Vaccine and no resistances or weaknesses to these types, though they do have elemental weaknesses and resistances.

The levels are divided up a bit better (a Rookie typically is slower and weaker in combat than a Champion, depending on the two's Stats).  The BS is much the same as the DS titles, with a new aspect called "Xros Combo" that increases the power of attacks, or the potency of buffs/debuffs and healing skills.

The story has been stellar thus far.  I have minor complaints about the exploration system (the lack of camera rotation in dungeons; the hacking skills and their requirements for use), and a few here and there about the localization.  The translators did really well in some places, but at some points it feels like the writers stuck too rigidly to the source material--so much so that some jokes and words may have gotten lost in translation.  Not to mention Kyoko.  Everytime Kyoko opens her mouth to explain something, it seems overwhelmingly complex and needlessly convoluted.  Like a Physicist trying to explain their research to a Third Grader.

Mighty Number 9

Is terrible, don't buy it.

Now that's out of the way for those who don't care about the details...

Level design is focused on death traps rather than challenges. While you have a damage bar, 99.9% of your deaths are for lacking perfect timing in key choke point gauntlets with spikes or other things that glow pink and kill you instantly. Each level has at least 1, and the ones I've gotten past have had 2. The only stage boss I'm able to get to is out of firing range almost the entire battle, which would be challenging if the game mechanics didn't have all stage bosses go into an auto-heal mode if you damage them enough, requiring you to dash through them to "absorb" what they're trying to heal.

I was a backer and got the Vermilion bonus level. It was at the level of being frustratingly hard for me, but unlike the actual game levels, it was a well designed challenge that would have been fun if I was better at platforming.

The character designs were cute, which was a known quantity going in. Unfortunately, the implementation was amateur. The characters had drawn-on expressions that never changed, and the dialogue just happened with no indication of who was talking except an educated guess on context and voice actor. Dialogue was location-event driven, so if you die, you have to hear it all over again. And again. And again. It's a mix of drab, and overacted lines. Cut scenes can be skipped, but most dialog overlaps play, including covering important platforms.

The only things hardening to Megaman are the blaster arm that steals boss powers, and the 8 stage boss format. The new facet is dashing to "absorb" robots you damage, or incremental damage from bosses. This would be cool if it were exploited well in the game design, but it's not. Everything else is uninspired. "Use this special dash that is only useful here!"

The story is also overused. Robots run everything, now something has made all but the hero go rogue. I expected that to be changed from Megaman, but it's Wily all over again, without even Wily's humorous caricature.

I was expecting more level design experience being brought to the table with the people involved. Instead, they focused on a new look intended to be a springboard for an anime. If you have not seen the trailer for the game, they made this worse with the line "make the bad guys cry like an anime fan on prom night".

All in all, it's what I would expect from a college project turned Kickstarter, not seasoned professionals trying out Kickstarter. I would take a Michael Bay reboot of Megaman over this "spiritual successor".

Just finished Mighty No. 9 yesterday. Enjoying the Ray gameplay immensely, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to beat the game as Ray. (Been dying in Countershade's insta-kill BS stage over. And over. And over. Usually at the very last set of insta-kills.)

Spoilers to respond to Inu and continue talking about the game.

Spoiler

It took me until I finished the game to finally agree that the Xcelerate dash mechanic is the downfall of the game. Mega Man is run, jump, shoot, and slide. Mighty No. 9 forces the dash down your throat. I didn't really mind it for most of the playthrough, excepting the Aviator and Trinity boss fights where they can fly off-screen to heal. I'm all the more perplexed by the people claiming that Avi is the easiest boss. Predictable enough, sure, but an absolute headache when there's a short-dash and a long-dash and you can't quite control either very well. At least he was the one case where I didn't dash straight down to my death.

The Ray boss fight was my favorite part of the game. It felt like I was playing an X game. But it also made me realize that I wasn't having nearly as much enjoyment out of the rest of the game. Playing as Ray is rewarding simply because it ignores the Xcelerate BS, but it's emphasizing the flaws with level design. It doesn't help that I decided to start with Countershade's stage and am repeatedly tripping the insta-kill wires in the final section. The repeated health drain on Ray's life is only mildly irritating. It's something I definitely wish could be disabled on Normal but included on higher difficulties.

It sounds like you've only gotten to Avi and no one else? I'll try to keep this next bit as spoiler-free as possible, but it'll also serve as a caution. I spent a fair chunk of the game wondering how I was ever going to survive the boss refights, and then... there wasn't a boss refight. Which was really disappointing. And then the final boss isn't just its own stage. It's a full stage followed by the final boss. I understand that the original Mega Man was like this (including refights in that stage, too), but it's also one of the reasons I prefer the sequels. I think I played through the final stage upwards of twenty times, and it still took having the free heal thing enabled (er, Patch giving the extra heal) to actually survive it. Though apparently there's a weapon that makes the most difficult section of the fight a cakewalk (and will be the only reason I'll consider replaying the game later on).

I didn't mind the plot. It incorporated multiple details from both the Classic and X series while giving them a small spin to make them different. I only really ever played the X series onward for the plot anyway. One thing that was pointed out in a review, though, and I agree with it, is that all of the Mighty Numbers except for Beck were ultimately well-characterized. Voice acting aside, each one had distinct character that makes them instantly memorable (or cliche, with Pyrogen). But with Beck, we get nothing. "I don't want to fight, but I just listen to everything I'm told." I feel like even some backstory in the intro stage saying that he never competed in the Coliseum would have added immensely to his character.

Also picked up Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines on Steam. So far I'm enjoying Deus Ex Vampire.

1 hour ago, Shattered Rift said:

Spoilers to respond to Inu and continue talking about the game.

And what a spoilery spoiler the spoiler spoils.

Spoiler

Personally, I don't care too much about spoilers unless it's something like the 6th Sense where the story totally hinges on the surprise twist to be worth watching. 

Cryosphere is the one I got to. She gets up on the ice pillar after giving just enough time to get a few shots in, then you have to dash around while shooting down her pillar and jump shoot her before she goes off into spike-ball mode. I suspect with Pyrogen's power, you'd probably make short work of her ice, but I couldn't get to Pyrogen. I've now tried it with Ray, and, well, it's worse. One-freeze-kill because there's still not time to unfreeze before the drop, and between not getting much time to drain Cryosphere, and the strength of the drop attack, there's no surviving it. I may not be a skilled gamer, but the point of entry on this game is stupidly high, particularly with all it's visual elements and dialogue targeted at an 8 year old demographic.

I wouldn't agree that they're memorable, but I think you hit the nail with Pyrogen. All the ones I've gotten close enough for dialogue with are really, really, really, really overused cliches. Pyrogen - "Hot headed brute!" Cryosphere - "Condescending brat!" Countershade - "Western desperado!", Call - "Keanu Reeves emoting in any role, ever!".

I've also had it crash loading the boss "cutscene" when I went back to fight Ray again. I may not be a gamer, but I am a programmer. To have these so-called "cutscenes" be so pathetic, and yet so resource intensive means they handed off the cutscenes to someone who didn't know what they were doing. The normal upshot of this modularity would be that you could go in, swap out the cutscenes after getting them done right, and all would be well, but they're not going to spend more dev time on this now.

The good news - the app is also modular, meaning someone could write their own drop-in levels like Vermilion Destroyer. The bad news - the tool they used...they left wide freaking open so it's a well known remote execution security vulnerability while you're playing the game.

More discussion on MN9.

Spoiler

Most of them are fairly stereotypical, sure, but they're at least distinct. Each one has their own way of speaking, and you get to see more of their personalities as the game continues on. With each boss you beat, they'll "help" you in the level of the boss they're strong against (changing one or two small encounters in that stage). Then they help out during the second-to-last stage. It's a lot more than we ever got with the Classic series, and even the X series didn't do so well most of the time.

I haven't encountered the crashing (WiiU version here, which is supposed to be one of the less stable versions), but that and the load times are definitely problems.

I took out Pyrogen first (and found him difficult enough), but I think Countershade is probably the easiest... except that his level has no check points and you're going to get screwed with one of the insta-kills. (Make sure to deal as much damage to him as you can before he disappears. Otherwise I think you have to track him down additional times.) Battalion should also be somewhat reasonable. And Brandish. Some people are saying his weapon is broken (since it's basically an unlimited use Z-Saber). Seismic was forgettable enough that I just don't remember. Avoid Dynatron until you have her weakness (and enjoy the stupidity of the low long dash in her stage that will kill you because hitboxes suck).

While Pyrogen's weapon deals with Cryosphere's ice, it didn't seem to be a strong attack against him. It threw me off initially, because I (rightly) assumed the bosses were helping me against their weakness, and that was the second stage I played.

No one's posted in here in over two months? Wow.

So, I've been playing Mario 3D World because I've been playing Mario Kart 8 and realized it's the only WiiU game that I've actually "finished" I want to be gaming, and holy crap does this game have a post-game. I was slowly slogging through the eight worlds (by slowly, I mean about a world and a half a day) and expecting the game to conclude while mildly hoping for a Star World. And the game delivered, starting with the most difficult level in the game. (I'd been reflecting on how forgettable Mario games have been since World... and 64, but 64 was the dawn of an era, not a perfection of gaming.) And then after the Star World is the Mushroom World. And now I'm in the Flower World. And the levels just don't stop coming.

Though, as implied, the game feels largely forgettable. The 3D controls are very meh (though switching the camera angle fixes things, and makes later levels playable), level design is only occasionally inspired (but nevertheless a fun romp), the tablet controls are forced on (only rarely, but the non-Toad levels are a pain as a result), but it did have two or three moments of brilliance, including the final level of World 8(/Bowser World).

I've been playing Overwatch. I stopped playing for a few months, but will probably continue sometime in October. I'll probably pick up a new phone around this time, so I might be playing Pokemon Go too. I'll probably play Overwatch every now and then, and probably less with Pokemon Go. Maybe twice a week for Pokemon Go, or whenever I'm biking or something.

I didn't like playing too much FPS games, since its mostly just point and shoot, but Overwatch has some neat gameplay and PVP aspects to it. My best experience is sneaking up on people and killing them out of nowhere. I always take maximum risk to for epic-ness. For example, putting teleporters in risky locations, sniping while moving in air, 1v6ing by blinking, initiating plays, charging straight into a trap.... etc. Or when my team got butchered, we were about to lose and I placed a telelporter right in the middle of the control point with 3 other enemy players there. My team respawned all at once, went through the telelporter and overwhelmed the enemy. Somehow the telelporter survived. You can carry your team in this game. Despite the game being a team-oriented game, it retains solo carry capability. Of course solo-carrying is tough the higher MMR you are in but puling it off at this stage is even more epic. I believe the solo-carrying component in a team oriented game is one of the most fun components of games like these. There's a downside where you're on the receiving end of this, and new players can get completely trashed and it won't be fun for them. But this is not a free game. People will have to pay to make fake accounts. This is what MOBA games are struggling with. Some mobas even go as far as taking the carrying component from their game.

I've played all the big mobas, HON, Dota 2, LoL, HotS, which prob took about 5000 hours of my life. Not having played FPS since my RPG days, I went into Overwatch as a sucker, even now prob. But it turns out its a lot like mobas, just way more physics, possibilities, skill, gameplay. To be honest, did not see a game like TF2 to potentially overthrow LoL. I will probably never play a Moba again like I use to... I've placed MOBA games on the shelf next to the RTS games. :P

Edited by Bed

On 8/21/2015 at 6:35 PM, Sinical said:

Street fighter V beta

Holy ###### I love it so much. I want to just completely stop hosting all stars and play it more..

:v4Head:

Personally, I've been playing quite some games. Twilight Princess HD, Atelier Sophie, GG Xrd and Final Fantasy X. I really want to re-play Persona 4, what a fantastic game.

It's been a while since I posted here I guess, so a big list coming up.

Life is strange: Wonderful interactive story that is barely a game sort of game. I'm a sucker for time travel in general, but I really enjoyed it. Blows the telltale games out the park as well.

Rocket league: I somehow avoided getting this game until recently, but now have become addicted. My favourite non fighting multiplayer game in...years.

Overwatch: Found it eh in beta, got it anyway, fell in love and am now currently separated from it. Great when playing with friends and in evenly matched games...but having bother seems to be quite a rarity. Pharahs jetpack can't carry another five people ):

N++: Platformer. Without a doubt one of the best designed ones I've ever played. Reminiscent of super meat boy and normally as fun. I would say that some levels of it are more frustrating/bull###### than SMB but the game has around 1000 levels, so I guess that's to be expected.

Ultimate chicken horse: A multiplayer versus platforming game. It's actually quite hilarious. You have to build the course in such a way to screw over everyone else but so you can still make it to the objective. Another game you need friends to play with, but when you do it's amazing.

Danganronpa 1+2: Wasn't going to include these as it's been some time since I played them, but I never mentioned them in a previous post so here we are. These two are just about my favourite games of the year. Has a great story, despair inducing despair, good characters and a load of murders to solve. Would thoroughly recommend. 

Hitman: Recently (Today) downloaded the new hitman game. I loved blood money and the little I've played of this looks like it's on par with it, but is definitely still too early to say for sure. The only thing I can say for certain is the specs it requires is INSANE. On the training level, I have most settings turned to low and am running at about 30fps with dips at parts. I normally run most things with high settings and 60fps.

ff13 lightning returns: and then she promptly leaves. Played about ten hours, but was never invested in it. I decided to take a break a few months back and...just never went back to it. Can't imagine I will be playing it again.

the beginners guide: This is a strange one. I can't say much about it without spoiling it. It's a wonderful tour through the mind of a game developer. It borders on pretentious at some points but I still found it interesting. If anything I have said about it has remotely got you interested I'd look it up.

Edited by Sinical

A couple (few?) months back I finished my playthrough of Dragon Quest III on Android. I'm still somewhere in the post-game dungeon, but I'm not sure I'll end up finishing that up. Similar disappointment with the difficulty being lowered/experience being doubled. Otherwise still a great game, though.

I got Dragon Quest VII (3DS) for Christmas, and I'm about 35 hours or so in. Like with the mobile versions, they doubled XP/gold gains, and I think they also increased the flee rate (which makes metal hunting virtually impossible). Beside that, I'm still loving the game, and I've quickly remembered why it's my favorite in the series. The time travel is simple, and it's just enjoyable to go around and see all of these different islands with their different problems. And there's no looming sense of dread or doom like there was in all(?) of the previous games. It's a sort of perfect exploration game (minus the fact that you're on islands and the world feels small).

Have you played Link's Awakening before? I don't think I've played it since fifth grade.

I didn't realize there was a Mario Maker resource. It'll be good to have a reason to fire up the game.

Also recently finished my playthrough of Ocarina of Time 3DS.