Blacjak

New Year's Resolutions 2015

I know this is a bit early for around half of you, but Happy New Year. Its a bit depressing being alone and online right now so I figured I'd make this topic for anyone else who might check the forum in a similar situation. Also serving as relevant discussion for a few days I feel it deserves being placed in General Discussion.

The question I pose to you all is: "How did you spend New Year's Eve, and do you have any plans on how you'll spend the rest of the year moving forwards?"

---

Personally, I love spending time with friends and family. This year I plan on taking initiative in contacting others and hanging out with them.

For the past six months or so I've been generally shut in and anti-social. I've had no source of income and spend most of my time online. My sleep was erratic and I frequently found myself in a nocturnal schedule. I still helped out around the house, doing chores and driving my siblings around but I didn't get out much. The state of my family fell under a bit of disarray as well, with both my parents working, I ended up acting similar to a nanny. Often we would run out of food early in the week because not enough shopping had been done. (I have four younger siblings and two pets so keeping servings of anything around can sometimes be a problem, especially if any of the food is a "snack" item or easy to make/consume.) As such there were many complaints whenever a favorite item ran out. Having lost the respect of my siblings, and taking the brunt of ridicule and stress in my family, I was naturally a target for such complaints and as a result ate very little.

Eventually my heath began to degrade. Weighing around 157lbs. in June, I had dropped down to 138lbs. in only a few months. Now if you know me, this is not a good thing. I take pride in physical excellence and my BMI is consistently extremely low. This means I lost almost 20lbs. of weight in muscle.

Around last month or so I realized my younger brothers were able to overpower me, one weighing over 40lbs. more than me could toss me about quite easily (if not for the fact his endurance is terrible and he has asthma, but that's besides the point). I found myself easily fatigued by simple athletic games and the skin on my face was becoming taught. I accepted the fact that I was unhealthy and wouldn't let myself slip further into anorexia. People complain about losing weight all the time, but for me its been extremely difficult making progress in gaining even a few pounds. I currently weigh an average of 140lbs. with variation in hydration. I've gotten maybe 60% of my strength back in my upper body and my stamina has greatly improved, but I still can't run very far (which is likely where I lost the most weight from- my legs) but that could also just be from the colder air restricting exposure times.

Now I don't mean to be a shining example of salvation, but even recognizing an issue and admitting you need to change can have a huge impact on your life. I'm not going to look back on these past months with regret, because moving forward, every day is better than the last if you choose to make it so. Sometimes, simply choosing to be happy is enough.

Even considering all that, this past year has been amazing for me. A few days before New Year's last year I was able to let go of an emotional tie to a girl I had liked all of my high school years. For the first half of the year, I traveled quite frequently and met tons of new people. Visiting friends in neighboring states and going down to New York City several times (Which is something I highly recommend to everyone) Even though I wasn't in school for spring semester, I was able to spend most of my summer with the friends I made in college. Whether going to parties, traveling together, or just hanging out on a carpet floor telling stories, it was a ton of fun.

What I came to realize early on in high school, is that there are very few people who will consistently contact you if you don't see each other on a regular basis through third-party means. Even if there are, a lack of effort on your end will often cause the other person to simply stop investing as much effort until you don't talk at all. This is why I've chosen my plan for this year. I want to be healthy, and I want to experience life again. Not wasting away in complacence and without a purpose. I am going to have a happy new year, and I wish you all the same.

:ph34r:

edit: Oh! I'd also like to thank all of you for being such an amazing community and taking time out of your days to play silly games, laugh, and hang out with other lonely people wherever they might be. Really each one of you make a huge difference in all of our lives. Here's to another year of Sparkbomb.

Edited by Blacjak

Over the past year I've watched my mom slowly die from endometrial cancer. The road was not a steady decline, the roller coaster has been going up and down with hope given often and dashed just as often.

For the past three months I've been living with my mom,sister, and nephews. Helping to take care of my mom.

This year has been the veritable kick in the stomach. I did get to move to a new state that I like a lot more than the old.

Sarah shpuld be graduating nursing school at the end of 2015. At which point I'm not sure if I'll try to do some kind of schooling or what. I still have no direction in my life beyond that I know I need to be with Sarah.

I really don't like new years resolutions as a concept. Everybody decides to make huge changes. But these changes can only be made when you truly want to..and if you truly wanted to, you would make these changes on your own regardless of new years resolutions.

But I guess the content of the posts so far aren't really about that so much...so to keep to the theme.

It's no secret at this point on SB that I have some..issues regarding my mental wellbeing. The last two months or so have been especially bad. My drinking got bad again, I've avoided contact with pretty much everyone and I am absolutely dreading going back to work in two days. But more importantly I've also recently come to the realisation that I absolutely cannot live a mediocre standard life. Work a repetitive office job, get a girl, settle down...none of that appeals to me in the slightest. I need to be the best at something, I need to be somebody. The last five or so years though I've been going along, thinking to myself "I'll find what I want to do soon and then my life will properly begin". But ######, I'm 24 now, this IS my life, a third or so of it already gone with nothing of note to show for it.

But I've now decided on something I want to do. Something that should suit me perfectly. It will require a hell of a lot of work, discipline and even then has a tiiiiny chance of paying off. But I don't care, because I actually have a goal for once.

So I guess my "New years resolution" is to work towards that. I'm going to work towards becoming a professional boxer, I don't have the good looks to lose anyway ;)

Edited by Sinical

Well from the tiny bit of boxing I did back in school.

Keep your hands up, elbows in, and keep moving.

Again not super helpful I know. But reach for your dreams.

If this is what you want chase it with everything you got.

Also find yourself a good coach/ chair man.

I know this is a bit early for around half of you, but Happy New Year. Its a bit depressing being alone and online right now so I figured I'd make this topic for anyone else who might check the forum in a similar situation. Also serving as relevant discussion for a few days I feel it deserves being placed in General Discussion.

The question I pose to you all is: "How did you spend New Year's Eve, and do you have any plans on how you'll spend the rest of the year moving forwards?"

I'll probably end up going over a fair amount of this in my Reflection post this month, but this thread might be a good primer to get me into the mindset to write it.

I spent New Years first at a dance and then keeping a friend company who had a crappy New Years. I'm still feeling a bit tired from that. (Didn't get to sleep until four, but that's probably not too different from the norm anyway.) It was a pretty good night for the first half, and the second half... was mostly just exhausting. It seems like New Years parties/stuff from the past few years have been really hit-or-miss for people in my area.

As for plans... I was hoping to have some time to myself while visiting family over Christmas to evaluate my plans for 2015 (particularly concerning Sparkbomb), but I haven't found or made the time for that quite yet. And Sparkbomb(/employment in general) is the big thing on my mind. I'm running out of time to earn a more sustainable income.

What I came to realize early on in high school, is that there are very few people who will consistently contact you if you don't see each other on a regular basis through third-party means. Even if there are, a lack of effort on your end will often cause the other person to simply stop investing as much effort until you don't talk at all. This is why I've chosen my plan for this year. I want to be healthy, and I want to experience life again. Not wasting away in complacence and without a purpose. I am going to have a happy new year, and I wish you all the same.

It's one of the sad realities of life, and it's something that gets amplified by starting a family. I'd noticed that while visiting my brother over the past few years, but it's something that really stuck out now. And I'm particularly curious how much that's changed over generations. People used to live in smaller towns where everyone knew everybody else. People typically married people they grew up with. And, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of them settled right back down in those towns. And I'm wondering when that changed, when it became normal for people to go in a dozen different ways where you have to go way out of the way to see someone you grew up with rather than simply schedule some extra time while visiting an adjacent town/city.

edit: Oh! I'd also like to thank all of you for being such an amazing community and taking time out of your days to play silly games, laugh, and hang out with other lonely people wherever they might be. Really each one of you make a huge difference in all of our lives. Here's to another year of Sparkbomb.

::.Fist bump.::

Over the past year I've watched my mom slowly die from endometrial cancer. The road was not a steady decline, the roller coaster has been going up and down with hope given often and dashed just as often.

For the past three months I've been living with my mom,sister, and nephews. Helping to take care of my mom.

This year has been the veritable kick in the stomach. I did get to move to a new state that I like a lot more than the old.

Sarah shpuld be graduating nursing school at the end of 2015. At which point I'm not sure if I'll try to do some kind of schooling or what. I still have no direction in my life beyond that I know I need to be with Sarah.

It's difficult to focus on yourself when you're spending time taking care of other people. I'm sure you'll figure it out in time.

This thread is rather serious u feel my usual "Eat more bananas" isn't gonna cut it =(

I dunno. It sounds like great advice for Blacjak's issue.

I really don't like new years resolutions as a concept. Everybody decides to make huge changes. But these changes can only be made when you truly want to..and if you truly wanted to, you would make these changes on your own regardless of new years resolutions.

But I guess the content of the posts so far aren't really about that so much...so to keep to the theme.

That's a very valid point, but I think it's also helpful for people to have a time of year where they do think about that (even if it comes to naught). It at least reminds people of what they want (or think they want) to accomplish.

But more importantly I've also recently come to the realisation that I absolutely cannot live a mediocre standard life. Work a repetitive office job, get a girl, settle down...none of that appeals to me in the slightest. I need to be the best at something, I need to be somebody. The last five or so years though I've been going along, thinking to myself "I'll find what I want to do soon and then my life will properly begin". But ######, I'm 24 now, this IS my life, a third or so of it already gone with nothing of note to show for it.

There's an entire discussion topic here. It seems to be a thought that's resonated across our generation (and possibly every generation born from... the 80s onward, give or take).

But I've now decided on something I want to do. Something that should suit me perfectly. It will require a hell of a lot of work, discipline and even then has a tiiiiny chance of paying off. But I don't care, because I actually have a goal for once.

So I guess my "New years resolution" is to work towards that. I'm going to work towards becoming a professional boxer, I don't have the good looks to lose anyway ;)

Welcome to living. I didn't realize just how... dull, for lack of a better word, my life was until I sat down at the end of last year and decided to give the Sparkbomb thing a real go.

Keep us posted on how the Path to Boxer goes. I anticipate an exciting saga filled with hard work, the Rocky theme, multiple failures, great successes in the context of the story, and a jar full of teeth that each have a story to tell in and of themselves. (Hm, I'm not sure if that came out as funny/random as it sounded in my head.)

I actually do like New Year Resolutions. But I hate setting goals for a whole year at a time. So my New Year's goals are usually one or two things I want to do on a monthly basis and a list of general areas I want my monthly goals focusing on. This year I got a little notebook where I'm going to glue a calendar each month to track my monthly goals and I put my annual goals at the back. I'm ... embarrassingly excited about this.

For me, my health is my number one goal. Last summer I'd gotten into a healthy eating pattern and was going dancing and to the gym often. While I wasn't at the healthiest I'd ever been, I was at a good place. Then I moved to Denver which was a socially healthy choice, but not so much a physically healthy move. I'm living in a basement and it's been making it hard to cook healthy meals. The move exhausted me and because of drama at work, I had to start my new position immediately after arriving, so I never really caught up on sleep.

This past month I've improved the intensity and frequency of my work outs and I've been seeing a chiropractor since just before Thanksgiving. My January is going to be focused on cementing the improvements I've made and re-adding strength training to my gym routine. I'm also trying to eat more fruit and veggies and fewer fast food meals. As the year goes on, I'll adjust my goals and focuses to keep improving my health.

Socially, I decided not to set any specific goals this year (I usually choose something scary for me socially and dedicate myself to doing it before the year is out). My move has created a lot of changes in my social life, and I want to just let them take effect as they will. So far, I think things are going to be good. :)

Probably the most exciting thing for my 2015 is the impending completion of something that has - in various forms - lived on my New Year resolutions list for years. At the end of March I'm going to New Zealand to hike and kayak and tour and just have an adventure. Last year's goal was to save all the money for the trip. The year before was to research in detail how much it would cost and how best to plan my trip. The year before... well, you get the idea. Basically, I get to cross off one of the very most important life goals I've had up till now. I'm almost unsure of what to do once it's over!

To everyone re-evaluating their life right now, I want to wish the very best of luck. I'm sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Sinical in making a new goal, Blac in recovering lost health, Stratus in overcoming a really difficult loss, Rift in career decisions, and Clucky in eating all the banannas. :)

Wow, this thread is loaded with feelings.  So many feelings I don't know what these feelings want with me!

But in non-China related discussion, I plan on:

Getting back to the gym after my hiatus (School got stressful in the past month), after finding a suitable one.

Using my brand new bachelors to get a job which doesn't pay just above minimum wage

Move out of my current living situation

Continue growing this sick beard.

Good luck with your beard growth Keith, and congrats with your new bachelor. It's in chemistry right? that's an average of about 70k a year right?

I have decided to start being a bit healthier. Not to say I'm going to go all lift life, but I'm going to start walking again and eating healthier.

I have not had a resolution in years.  I have no illusions about my ability to enforce resolutions upon myself anymore.  I instead attempt to improve myself from year to year--my attitude, or my health.  It's not something as finite as a resolution...  just a vow of self-improvement.

This year, though, I'm not going to be thinking o that me thinks, what with Jamie here and all.

Considering that it's late June now, I think it's a good time to reflect on how much we've succeeded (or failed) in our New Years resolutions.

Blacjak, how has the road gone towards living more healthily and reaching out to/staying in touch with people?

Stratus, has this year treated you better than last? And have you come closer to finding the direction you were looking for in your life?

Clucky, have you been eating more bananas this year?

Sinical has already done a good job of keeping us updated on his life.

Cel, how has your road to healthier living been? And of course, I don't think you ever told us how your New Zealand trip went.

Killer, how has the gym attendance been going? And the job hunt? And, most importantly, your sick beard?

Code, you're in a unique situation (compared to the rest of us), so I have to ask: how has being a father improved you as a person?

As for me, I started my new job a couple of days ago, and I'm now gearing up for the long haul that every Friday/Saturday will be for the next year plus. It's been a pretty exciting ride: I've learned more about and improved more with dancing during the past two months than I have in a very long time. And I've really broadened my view of what dancing can do for people who are already established in their careers/lives (whereas before I had mostly only seen its impact on college-aged individuals).

Well I'm doing a little better. Each day and I've found something I enjoy doing. Although I haven't figured out a way to monetize it.