Thread for all things pokemon! Go read the manga, seriously, it's great.

So I started playing Black 2 and wanted something different.

Now I have a Venonat in my party. I've always wanted to train a Venomoth. I might also be picking up a 2DS with X in the near future.

Did anyone else find Black/White to be particularly mediocre? The first time I tried to get into it I think I was just too burnt out on Pokemon or something. But the second time (a month or two back), I had trouble dredging through the first few towns. I think I got to the town after that big/tall city. And I just have no real desire to go back to it.

Got my 5IV Togepi, so now I am up to...

Gastly 5IV

Diglett 5IV + Reversal

Shellder 5IV + Rock Blast / Icicle Spear (traded in, so I might breed up another that I can nickname)

Smeargle 4IV

Togepi 5IV + Nasty Plot

oh yes.

Did anyone else find Black/White to be particularly mediocre? The first time I tried to get into it I think I was just too burnt out on Pokemon or something. But the second time (a month or two back), I had trouble dredging through the first few towns. I think I got to the town after that big/tall city. And I just have no real desire to go back to it.

Yeah, I've been trying to play through black 2 so I can transfer over to Y when pokebank is finally out but it's probably my least favorite pokemon game.

Edited by Blacjak

I made it through Black and White, but the second time running through on... whatever my unplayed version was, was SUCH a struggle. By the end of it I felt like I was 221% done with Pokemon.

Then I picked up Black and White 2 despite the feelings I still had about the first two, (because apparently Pokemon games own my wallet). I think I made it about halfway through before I completely gave up on playing Black 2. Heck, I don't even know where I put the cartridges and I don't have much of a desire to find them.

During all of the X and Y news releases I wasn't really feeling the excitement for those two up until a month before release. I don't really know what turned me on to it beyond the graphical overhaul. Maybe just how badass the Mega Evolutions looked. Charizard X being a black and blue dragon? Uh. Yesplz.

So, once again, I got both. And I fortunately enjoyed every minute I put into both games. 

I also have a story mode team to use to battle you guys if you aren't a monstrous Pokemon breeder like me, by the way. :P

B/W was fine but I was in a work death spiral while trying to play it. X and Y are amazing. Just amazing. It's the way Pokemon is supposed to be done.

Yeah, I recently picked up a "new" pokemon game for the first time in almost half a decade and decided to play through white.

It was pretty painful. The encounter rate was so ######ing high it was unbelievable. There was one point where I had three battles in four steps. 

Critical hit rate was also ridiculous, it seemed to decide every battle.

But still, I powered through. I got to the elite four, I knew I wouldn't be able to beat them without some grinding, but I challenged them anyway just to see the level disparity. Oh, an almost 15 level gap? No thanks.

And that was the last time I will ever probably play a pokemon game again. (Outside of the superior online battle simulators)

x and y are pretty freaking great. I know many gen oners that now accept other generations solely because of how awesome these new games are.

I guess I'm in the minority in the whole liking Black and White thing. Don't get me wrong they were by no means the best games in the series, but I appreciated all the improvements they made, they made breeding a bit easier, added hidden abilities, the full body sprites were a nice step towards the 3D models we have now, unlimited use T.Ms, and the best part, that is if I'm remembering correctly, the extremely limited need for an HM whore/slave I think during the main game I had to use cut like twice. Though I do have to agree that while the game made a lot of awesome technical advances the game itself was midcore at best, the plot was wasn't that great, the encounter rate was way too high at times, seriously F the desert, the dream world gimmick was stupid, another fire/Fighting starter, the difficulty spike at the end is crazy I sailed through the main game until the elite four where they had almost twenty levels on me, and while their are some pretty awesome pokemon that stand out designs, galvantula and cofagrigus come to mind, overall the designs just not that great. Going back to the plot really quick it was nice to see the gym leaders actually taking an interest in saving the region rather than just letting a child do it by themselves. Sorry for any and all grammar and spelling mistakes, but it's three a.m. and I'm tired. I'll post my 3DS friend code tomorrow. 

I didn't think they were tough per say I just had to go and grind for a few hours to not get insta gibbed.

Anyway

3DS friend code: 2895-7448-5939

Friend Safari type: Flying

Contents: Spearow, Hoot-Hoot, and Rufflet

Current team

• Coverageking : 5IV Timid Sheer Force Nidoking
  • Rampart: 5IV Modest Magic Guard Espeon 
  • Ferrothorn: 4IV Bashful Spikes, and Stealth Rocks
  • Garchomp: 4IV Rough Skin, Iron Tail and Outrage
  • Bruce: ?IV Beedrill, He's my bro from the main game.
  • Surtur: 5IV Adamant Speed Boost Blaziken

I need to breed replacements for Ferrothorn and Garchomp I got them off of Wonder Trade and can't nickname them, and maybe a Greninja to unfortunately replace Bruce.

I liked Black and Black 2 enough to finish the games and try my best at finishing what I could post-game. Let's see, as for Pokemon Y...

Lucario, Greninja, Charizard, Goodra. I think they're all on level 73, and if I remember right, I was exploring Frost Cavern.

Black/White: I actually enjoyed them.  It was nice level grinding in areas and having a Doctor or Nurse to heal me rather than having to Dig/Fly my way to nearest Pokemon Center and then schelp back to the area I was in prior.  The story was decent...  the cast of the game seemed a bit more "close" than ones in the past.  Specifically the Gym Leaders.  Them having my back when I took on Team Plasma in the finale nearly brought tears to my eyes.  It's nice to have back-up, and more than just your rival, you know?

B/W2 was good too.  I think the only thing that I didn't like about it was the fact that we didn't get much in our return to Unova.  In G/S/C, you were able to return to the previous region and even challenge the leaders there.  Hell, in the finale you got to take on the Player Character from R/B or G/Y.  B/W2 gave us the World Tournament or whatever, which was cool.  But that's about it.  It just...  was underwhelming compared to the last sequel series we got is all.

Me and Bev are about to start Y and X Nuzlockes with different starter Pokemon than the game provides.  She's starting with a Dratini named Puff and I'm starting with an Axew that she is breeding for me now.  

As for me, I've already beaten X.  After I received a Japanese Froakie with Protean, I've been trying to breed for a shiny Froakie with Protean.  That being said, I have an entire box full of Froakies that are about to all be unleashed on Wondertrade.  My party's main-stays are...

• Fang (Charizard) Lv89
  • Jiraiya (Greninja) Lv82
  • Yami (Mewtwo) Lv75

And I regularly rotate between a few that I'm trying to either level grind, evolve, or get to like me.  Mainly its been...

• Verdant (Chesnaught) Lv50
  • Tyrant (Tyranitar) Lv55
  • Lovey (Eevee) Lv?

The Eevee I'm trying to raise into a Sylveon for Bev.

I guess this fits in better here than it does in the pokemon league thread.

How to win in x/y. Take Pinsir. 

Wait for any pokemon to switch in that doesn't threaten it.

Switch in Pinsir.

Sword dance on the inevitable switch out. If they don't switch out instantly, might as well use two sword dances..or just kill it, pending on how little of a threat it is.

Proceed to outspeed OHKO practically anything in the game.

Hope the opponent does not have one of a few specific counters.

I hate having to change my team to include a very specific counter pokemon.

Edited by Sinical

You mean Mega Pinsir, right? There are a lot of things that outspeed Mega Pinsir that will crush him. What are your special sweepers? Are you using anyone with a Scarf?

Are you throwing down SR? Who is your choice of Mega? Do you have a physical wall that can burn?

How are you dealing with Talonflame?

Yeah, mega Pinsir.

He has 105 base speed, there's not a "lot of things" that outspeed him outside of scarf use. (Which is an item I hate using but seriously might have to bring in just for him).

My main special sweeper tends to be gengar...who technically would actually outspeed if I changed nature. I should probably do that.

SR use depends on what I'm matched up against. My normal lead does run SR, but often I change it up against certain team compositions and by the time my normal lead gets in, SR is no longer worth using.

My mega is charizard. I get outsped and OHKO'ed by Mpinsir.

My normal wall gets one shot due to typing.

As for talonflame, I've only come across two so far. The first one crushed me as I had no idea what it was doing. The second one died after SR/BB recoil damage and a priority attack.

I think it's kind of annoying and I wish it didn't hit as hard as it did given the priority, but I think it's possible to deal with without making special prepartions in your team for it. (Maybe the second one was just bad now I think about it. Dat priority roost)

Edited by Sinical

Don't do it man, the pain of losing a level 50+ Beedrill you've been raising from level 2, the Beedrill that saved you when all seemed lost, the Beedrill that held out against fire-type attacks more times than you can count, the BROdrill that singlehandedly swept the rival's entire team every single time... it's just too much to bear.