Blacjak

Howl on the Ranch [Gamethread]

87 posts in this topic

Howdy folks, welcome to the farm! Now I heard y'all have a problem with who gets what food and when, and there's been considerable complaints about the outer field beyond the fence. Apparently we've been hearing howling from the woods an' some folks get mighty scared. So we're gonna vote on which one of us is the bravest and send them out there each night to keep watch. Sound good?

This'll be yer standard werewolf game fer the most part. The innocent farm animals trying tuh band together against the unknown perils a midst their precious souls. Will ye drive back the evils beyond, or be consumed by its hunger?

Now play nice and have fun y'all hear? An' remember to vote with Boldness so me an' my farm hand Lion can read it.

I reckon this here first Day will end around 10PM EST on Sunday the 29th. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Farm Animals:

0. Weee- Ugly Duckling, Born Day 5, Slain by Mad Cow Night 5
1. Cel- Fox, Victory!
2. Inu- Blind Mice, Slain by Mad Cow Night 4
3. Killer- Moofia, Slain by Wolf Night 1
4. Zilary- Puss n' Boots, Slain by Wolf Night 2
5. NPM- Mother Goose, Slain by Wolf Night 5
6. Dreamcard- Itsy Bitsy Spider, Slain by Wolf Night 6
7. thelilbear- Bingo the Dog, Slain by Wolf Night 3
8. Spree- Blac Sheep, Executed by Wolf Day 3
9. thezodiac- Mad Cow, Slain by Fox Day 6
10. Wolf- NPC, Victory!

Voting is not required, execution is by plurality, nobody votes are not allowed. In the event of a tie, there will be no execution.

Edited by Blacjak

I'm here, read my role, and am ready to play!

We could also go inside the barn. Maybe run some of them there electricity.

I say we take shifts on patrolling and sleeping. The elder ones can lead us.

Maybe I should ask Koshka to go get her bow and arrow....

Game rules, Blacjak?  Execution is by plurality or what?  Nobody votes or not?  Voting required or not?

Ah right, I knew I was forgetting something. I'll edit it into the first post.

Ah, good. Nobody needed a vacation.

I will probably abstain from the first night's vote.

EDIT: The 10th slot is listed as "Wolf". Should we assume this is a game mechanic and not just a gag? Can we vote for, use power on, etc. this Wolf?

Edited by InuyashaOhki

Vote: wolf

I agree with this.

Edited by thedreamcard

Here... Nobody votes not allowed? Now that's my kind of game.

Don't know what to make of this Wolf player but looks like a red herring. I'm going to vote for somebody who hasn't posted yet.

vote: killer

Here! And ready to play!

So Wolf is not a real person?

Nobody votes are not allowed, but voting is not required, so effectively you can vote for nobody, as I read. Which I'll probably do tonight. If the votes on wolf do apply, though, that might be interesting.

Just putting this out there, in the context of this game the person we vote is the one keeping watch for us so we don't get slaughtered by the animals outside of our farm. Do you really want a wolf to be the only one who can warn us about the pack of what I can only assume is MORE WOLVES.

Also you guys always vote to kill the NPC in blacjak's games and it never really works out for you.

InuyashaOhki likes this

Vote wolf

Sorry I haven't posted yet, I was building a PC until 4am last night trying to figure out why it wouldn't read my new SSD...I didn't plug it in.

Spree, you do have a good point. We're voting for who doesn't get to be in the fence. I'm not sure what to make of that. This is supposed to be a fairly standard game. Therefore, having a weird execution type event seems out of place. However, Blac is known to have a unique sense of normal....

Blacjak likes this

I don't think voting for the Wolf is a good idea until we know more. I was asking if we could, not suggesting it. It does at least answer half my question. I suppose targeting with powers is a question that can't be answered publicly, or maybe it's in the power description of those who can. I'm also not sure if we can safely interpret the "outside the fence" with what we know yet.

Thinking out loud, you don't have to answer yet (and probably shouldn't publicly):

• Does anyone have a role that would be particularly advantageous to be outside the fence?
  • Does anyone have a role that even mentions interaction with the fence? (getting in/out, bringing others back, etc.)
  • Does anyone have a role that mentions the Wolf?
  • Does anyone have a role that isn't livestock? (Cats, dogs, mice, crows, etc.)

Theories that I've been thinking of: 

Sending an animal to the fence could be sort of like losing protections, while we're all safe and cozy, maybe sending them outside the fence is akin to leaving them to the wolves (as the saying goes, I still think we should banish the wolf).  

Maybe if we target the right player, they'll keep us safe (or bring us doom)? 

I dunno, just spitballing here. 

Yeah, I'm unsure about voting the Wolf...it feels like a trap to me, personally (Unless we do have a player named "Wolf"?). I don't know if "sending someone beyond the fence" means anything other than execution. At least, that's how I read it, anyway. With that said, I don't feel strongly about anyone so I won't vote today and head to bed early.

I don't think I've played a Blacjak game before, so I'm unfamiliar with the use of NPCs. I think I'm going to abstain tonight since I'm not sure there's immediate gain to voting for Wolf.

I also read beyond the fence as straight execution, given the "normal" description of the game. Though rereading now the wording makes me wonder if there's a benefit to sending someone strong out there, or if it's just flavor. 

I did read through the Feeble Wolf game to get a feel for Blacjak's style, and I love that concept. Wish I was around for that!

Blacjak likes this

Votes Lock!
Wolf- 3
Killer- 1

"Wolf was chosen to go past the fence to the outer fields to watch the gate and keep an eye out for... oh no one can seem to find Wolf. Well then Killer why don't you go have a look?" Reluctantly, Killer mooved over to the gate and opened it slowly. It was already quite late in the day, as the other animals were busy looking for Wolf. But Wolf did hear them call.

"Why hello dear Cow, what are you doing out here so late?" said Wolf.

"Oh W..wwolf, how good to see you. The others have been l..looking for moo." cow-ered Killer.

"Have they? And why might they request my presence?"

"You're supposed to watch over the outer field for s..scary things to come out of the forest."

"Oh? I am from the forest, am I s..scary?" mocked Wolf.

"Yes Wolf, moo are terrifying. Be moociful Wolf, I feel as if I might lose my milk."

"Well I am in a good.. Moood tonight, why don't you run off back to the farm and tell the others I'll take goood care of the fence."

Killer hoofed it back as fast as he could, but tripped on a rock and hurt his leg.

Wolf licked his lips, and sauntered into the farm...

Later that Night...

Killer lay in the field, mooing in pain, but none of his friends came to help him. Not even the Mooon would smile down on the poor cow. Killer heard low growl emanating from the darkness all around him. Then he heard a chilling voice circling him.

"Dear Cow, why are you laying so near the fence? Didn't you go back to tell your friends I was here?"

Killer whimpered softly.

"Yes dear Cow, no one can save you now."

----

Killer was found dead in the morning. He was a very rare breed of cow with light red markings, barely distinguishable from all the blood that stained his fur.

He was a member of the Moofia.

Day 2 Start!

Edited by Blacjak

I don't know what that implies. Obviously the wolf isn't on our side, but I don't know if voting did anything. It does seem likely Zodiac's vote is why Killerk went after the Wolf, though.

Also not sure if the "Moofia" is the villain team or not.

EDIT: Getting bad info. Disregard if you read what I removed.

Edited by InuyashaOhki

Yeah, I'm confused. It looks like Killer was sent out as lookout and hurt (replacing the Wolf because he was the only other one with a vote on him?), and then killed in a separate incident? How do you guys read it?

This is how I read it:

When someone is put up for execution they are sent behind the fence. Wolf is the executioner. The rest of us find the person put up for execution dead the next morning. Since Wolf cannot be voted, it skipped to the only other person who had a vote - Killer. And Moofia clearly equals Mafia which equals Evil. That was just a pure lucky hit from me but who's complaining?  :lol:

KillerK was treated as targetable by a power use during the night phase. I don't know if that means he was alive, or that the dead can be targeted, or that the spacetime continuum is warped here.

The space-time continuum was clearly warped.

Zodiac, I would agree that the NPC Wolf is the executioner. But I would also guess that there is a role name wolf. This player is probably either OMT or vigi, since we have a Moofia of cows, apparently. I'm more inclined to guess OMT. This would also explain how Wolf dealt damage after execution. Which, if it's an executioner-only NPC role doesn't make much sense.

I would guess that the person who has the role of OMT Wolf knew or guessed what would happen with the vote and night-attacked Killer, since execution would injure him if it didn't kill him. So depending on what the night processing order is, I can see you being able to target him. I don't know your power, so I'm not sure how reasonable it is to assume your power would process before a night kill, but that's my first thought based on what we know.