Sign in to follow this  
Zilary

Happy 2016, Everyone!

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a great and amazing start of this new year. What did you do? Any resolutions? Anything you are looking forward to this upcoming year?

For my New Year's Eve, I got to spend time with the boyfriend at a bar. He got off of work at 11:30 p.m. and we hurriedly order steaks and champagne for dinner before ringing in the year.

As for resolutions, my broad strokes:
-Clean my apartment and keep it clean. Purge anything I don't need.
-Grow kinder and more selfless
-Grow spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally
-Grow closer to those I love
-Save money

I'm looking forward to lots of travels this year. I'm going to DisneyWorld in February, New Zealand in March, and Savannah, Georgia in April!

What about you?

I was never one for resolutions, but I also have an unusual amount of travel planned for 2016. 6 conventions and at least one conference.

For New Years eve, I played games and watched Babylon 5 and Home (purple alien movie) with my family.

On 1/2/2016 at 8:07 PM, Zilary said:

New Zealand in March,

I went to New Zealand in March too!!! End or beginning of the month? I went right at the end and the leaves on South Island were changing. It was so cool!! Although... going from winter, to fall, to pollen-filled spring in three weeks was absolutely miserable for my allergies... I strongly advise having allergy meds ready upon your return.

My goals are pretty personal usually, so I don't share them so much. But one I have decided on is that I want to learn French. I'm a bit intimidated. Languages have always been difficult in my mind, but I am trying to be more confident this time around.

I'm going to Boston in April. And I'll get to go home this Christmas. So not so much travel for me as I would like. But it's in the hope that I can save the $$ I need for an extended tour of Europe.

1 hour ago, Celairiel said:

I want to learn French. I'm a bit intimidated. Languages have always been difficult in my mind, but I am trying to be more confident this time around.

The big obstacle with languages, in my experience, is having people to study/speak with. I've never quite been able to get back into learning Japanese since taking a year of it at the start of college.

My New Years Eve was filled with the usual dance I attend. It was pretty mediocre this year, and I wasn't really able to find anyone who really knows how to dance, but maybe that's a good change of pace considering how insane the last two were.

Each year at work, we make posters outlining various goals over a long-term period (6 months, 1 year, 5 years), so the subject has been on my mind even if I'm not normally one for resolutions. I haven't settled on much for certain. I know that I want to be writing/creating, but I haven't come up with a set plan yet for that. I definitely want to pick up some sort of new skill/hobby with some degree of proficiency, and I'm currently leaning towards picking up an instrument again (likely soprano or tenor saxophone: not sure which yet).

I have a few dance goals already in mind, namely to continue expanding my proficiency into new partner dances that I'm not as good at or haven't learned yet.

I don't really expect this year to involve any traveling outside of work-related stuffs (like heading down to San Francisco at the end of the month).

On 1/3/2016 at 0:53 PM, Shattered Rift said:

My New Years Eve was filled with the usual dance I attend. It was pretty mediocre this year, and I wasn't really able to find anyone who really knows how to dance, but maybe that's a good change of pace considering how insane the last two were.

My dance had a couple there for the first couple hours who compete in ballroom. I was jealous of her in more ways than one. And spent much time admiring them both. Very fun to watch. :)

On 1/2/2016 at 10:19 PM, InuyashaOhki said:

I was never one for resolutions, but I also have an unusual amount of travel planned for 2016. 6 conventions and at least one conference.

Which conventions?

On 1/3/2016 at 0:21 PM, Celairiel said:

I went to New Zealand in March too!!! End or beginning of the month? I went right at the end and the leaves on South Island were changing. It was so cool!! Although... going from winter, to fall, to pollen-filled spring in three weeks was absolutely miserable for my allergies... I strongly advise having allergy meds ready upon your return.

Ah, I meant this March coming up this year. I have a long-time friend and pen pal who is getting married in Auckland. It's in the middle of March...I need to buy my tickets by the end of this week. Let me know if there's any good touristy things to do? I'll be there for about 5 days. So far, I just have Hobbiton to go see.

On 1/3/2016 at 1:53 PM, Shattered Rift said:

I don't really expect this year to involve any traveling outside of work-related stuffs (like heading down to San Francisco at the end of the month).

San Francisco is fun! I went to a craft beer fest 3 years ago.

8 hours ago, Zilary said:

Which conventions?

• Naka-Kon (Overland Park, KS - March 11-13) - First time I'll be going. Anime-focused, from what I'm told. Work normally doesn't let me off this time of year, but they have been lenient the last few years.
  • Planet Comicon (KC, MO - May 20-22) - Will be my third time going. General pop-culture. Used to be on the same weekend annually as Naka-Kon.
  • Cosplacon (Jefferson City, MO - June 16-19) - Been to all of them. Cosplay related con, that seems to have a heavy anime and sci-fi influence, but anything reasonable is fair game. The guy running it is very passionate about it, and when not breaking into tears about how awesome some aspect of the con is, will be darting around between all the things going on. If you end up going to this one, there are "achievements" to do listed on the pamphlet which I'm told can be fun, but I'm not outgoing enough to do most of them.
  • Tokyo in Tulsa (Tulsa, OK - July 15-17) - Anime-focused with a strong secondary cosplay focus. I've gone once before but missed last year. I will be meeting my Dalek friends Friday night, potentially some people here Saturday, and I'll be bringing my brother along, and he may have convinced some of his friends to go, so I feel I've done my part advertising for this con. ;) 
  • WorldCon/MidAmeriCon II (KC, MO - August 17-21 *hotels not yet available) - This is actually a worldwide convention that moves around. The last time it was in KC was 1976 (with Robert A. Heinlein as the Guest of Honor), and it is where the Hugo Awards are given out each year. The downside of that is that it's longer than most cons and it's more expensive, buying a "membership" rather than a ticket.
  • DodecaCon (Columbia, MO - September 16-18 *getting my tickets as a donor, so I'm not sure if tickets on sale yet) - Will be my third time going. Much smaller con, with focus on gaming, but a heavy steampunk presence, significant cosplay presence, and general geek interest.

I know we've talked about meeting at Tokyo in Tulsa, but since I'm mentioning them all, I'll reiterate that if you or anyone else wants to meet up at any of these, let me know.

I may also be adding a Star Trek con yet, I just don't know where or when.

I also considered but had to decide against:

• Star Trek, Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV - August 3-7) - I really wanted to go for the 50th anniversary, but I can't handle crowds that dense, and my travel budget is already strained. I've been to their Chicago con twice, and it was fun, but the price-to-enjoyment ratio didn't win out enough for me to keep going.
  • Kansas City Comic Con (KC, MO - August 12-14) - I went to their inaugural year last year, and definitely recommend it, but I can't spend that much time in a hotel when you combine it with WorldCon literally 2 days later in the exact same hotel.
  • Midwest Geekfest (Columbia, MO - ???) - They couldn't get their schedule together for 2015, overlapping a previously announced con when they finally announced their dates, then claiming they had the dates first. Was a fun free one-day event before with a gaming focus and a little cosplay, but they tried to grow it into a real con without telling anyone ahead of time and stepped on several toes. No link because even their site has gone offline now.
  • Winter Unnamed Thing (Somewhere near me) - Before I took on so many cons, I was looking at organizing an evening event myself to try to get something going in the November-December range, but that's not happening in 2016.
  • ????? - Not filling in the blanks for you, but I have a friend who organized a con around something I don't want to be teased about. It falls during a time I couldn't go, will cost more than I could afford in hotel costs, and is in a city I will never go.

Ah, I've always wanted to go to Planet Comicon! I forget about it every year. I shall put it on my calendar. Though, the guest list looks okay. There was a year where Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day were both there and I regret not knowing/going to it.

Wait, you've been to ALL Cosplacons?! I was at Cosplacon...3 years ago? I have friends who are close friends of the cosplayers Kyle and Malinda Mathis. Hm, what a weird happenstance that we might have crossed paths then.

Yes, I'll try to make it to Tokyo in Tulsa this year. I'll probably just buy a Saturday pass and drive over for the day.

The only con that I'm 100% aiming for this year is Wizard World - St. Louis (April 1-3). Mainly because my favorite Doctor is there. I attempt to go to Dragon*Con (Atlanta, GA; Sept 2-5) every year (bought my ticket a year ahead of time), but that's always up in the air.

5 hours ago, Zilary said:

Wait, you've been to ALL Cosplacons?! I was at Cosplacon...3 years ago? I have friends who are close friends of the cosplayers Kyle and Malinda Mathis. Hm, what a weird happenstance that we might have crossed paths then.

3 years ago would have been at Truman Hotel, the run-down used-to-be-nice hotel on the south side of town overlooking the highway that lacked air conditioning in most of the panel rooms. The two since then have been at the Capitol Plaza Hotel, near the capitol building. Whichever one you went to, I was definitely there. For Saturday, I was in Jedi robes at the first one, Gutsman (from Megaman) at the second one, and Steampunk Medium Infantry for the third.

I saw Tennant was going to be there, but it's one of my definitely can't go dates. Hopefully I'll be able to catch him at a future con. I've "exterminated" Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy off my list so far.

On 1/5/2016 at 8:49 AM, Zilary said:

Ah, I meant this March coming up this year. I have a long-time friend and pen pal who is getting married in Auckland. It's in the middle of March...I need to buy my tickets by the end of this week. Let me know if there's any good touristy things to do? I'll be there for about 5 days. So far, I just have Hobbiton to go see.

I got that. I intended to mean that my trip was at the same time of year. Sadly, all I saw of Aukland was the walkway between the domestic and international terminals of the airport. My whole trip was South Island. I thought it was beautiful.

I would like to go to my first convention this year. My dad got Comic Con tickets for my siblings, but with me living so far away, I got a stick blender. Which I love, but means I don't know if or when I'll go to a con.

On 1/6/2016 at 3:00 PM, InuyashaOhki said:

I saw Tennant was going to be there, but it's one of my definitely can't go dates. Hopefully I'll be able to catch him at a future con. I've "exterminated" Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy off my list so far.

I started reading up some reviews on Wizard World's con franchise in general, it seems like they tend to have a lot of big-name guests "cancel" on them on the last-minute (some due to Wizard World not even booking the guest's flight or checking their filming schedule? Sounds schemey). This isn't typical of me, but I'm going to wait until the day before to purchase my ticket in case Tennant (and Piper) isn't actually going to be there. As for myself, I have seen McCoy and Davidson at Dragon*Con some year ago. Barrowman was literally within arm's reach as he was stalking his sister's panel and I was in the back row.

On 1/7/2016 at 7:17 PM, Celairiel said:

I got that. I intended to mean that my trip was at the same time of year. Sadly, all I saw of Aukland was the walkway between the domestic and international terminals of the airport. My whole trip was South Island. I thought it was beautiful.

I would like to go to my first convention this year. My dad got Comic Con tickets for my siblings, but with me living so far away, I got a stick blender. Which I love, but means I don't know if or when I'll go to a con.

Ah! So the weather should be nice, yes? I've purchased my tickets and now it's just planning as to what to do within bus distance. Everyone wants me to go see Hobbiton but that's a bit further from Auckland than I thought, but I do have 3-4 days to plan.

I wish I could go to Comic Con (we're talking about the big one in San Diego, right?), but the tickets seem to always evade me. Stick blenders are nice! I have a stick blender + food processor combination in my kitchen. Well, there are always opportunity to join me and Inu in Tokyo in Tulsa :P