Sign in to follow this  
Kirby-oh

Pokemon Go

Blue. I'm traveling Europe still so I wonder if I'll catch things my US friends can't...

I'm in Denver right now, so hopefully I can catch some ground mons I can't get in the far more humid NY... it's so dry here halp

I'm at work and some of my coworkers went to try to catch an Eevee over lunch...it evaded us and we were left standing outside in the humid heat death of the South.

Apparently Blue Team for me. So, is this out in the US yet, or is everyone hijacking via AUS/NZ versions still?

1 hour ago, Blacjak said:

I'm in Denver right now, so hopefully I can catch some ground mons I can't get in the far more humid NY... it's so dry here halp

Pro Tip: Drink lots of water. Like, more water than you think you need. A lot more.

You get to pick teams at level 5. It's out now in the US, and I also got an Eevee that was standing on my dinner last night.

I encountered a wild server. It used bad game networking design. It was supereffective.

It seems this wild server is meant to be my starter. I only got past it once to talk to the professor, got to pick my hair and eye color, along with about 3 options of outfits, then got locked up after agreeing to the fashion crime. After that, a lot more wild servers.

I finally got connected while typing this up, got a Squirtle, then walked around my neighborhood. There's black sparkly things on the map on other people's property about a quarter mile in to the northwest, and another a bit further away to the south about where I pay my utilities. Strangely enough, there's a pod at the foot of my driveway that extends across my neighbor's driveway too. Not so much as a magikarp in it, but there's little white sparkly circles that bubble around my avatar when I walk through the imaginary pond.

I'll give it a few more chances around the capitol and my parents' house, among a few other places and see if anything changes, but right now it's not looking very promising. I'll reserve judgement until it's through the first week hurdles, though.

Edited by InuyashaOhki

You encounter pokemon randomly based on how much you travel, but you can run into them by just standing in place. With the number of players joining today, yeah the servers have had some downtime, but they should be able to fix that. The small blue crystals on the map are pokestops that give you free items when you visit them, mostly pokeballs. When you hit level 5 you can choose a team and then are able to train at gyms, which are large color coded stops on the map. The pokestops and gyms are based on data gathered from their previous game Ingres, which uses player submitted points of interest. This is designed to incentivize players to visit interesting parts of their surroundings. You likely will not be able to evolve your starter for a long time because as far as I know, finding wild starter pokemon is extremely rare.

The more interesting mons I've caught are, meowth, growlithe, rhydon, drowsey, zubat, crabby. I spent an hour in a cemetery looking for ghosties but they probably only come out at night, and cemeteries aren't defined zones. The types of areas I've seen are city, and like some sort of grassland so far. But apparently you can catch magikarp in super arid landlocked Denver XD

I was lying in bed after a night of tabletop gaming. Already in my nighties and knowing the server stress tends to be alleviated at night, I turned on Go. Behold, a Dodrio RIGHT in my backyard. To I sleep or go out in the middle of the night? I grab my running shorts and a hoodie, then run outside. Costs me a good handful of throws, but I successfully manage to capture it. After some careful consideration and figuring out how evolving worked, I powered up my newest addition with as much as my resources allow. I'm happily dozing off knowing I have a CP 315 bird in my pocket...enough to take over this town ridden with red gyms.

Other things I've caught: Goldeen, Zubats, Pigeottos, Venonats, Squirtle (my starter is a Bulbasaur), and so many Rattatas

I'm currently getting the infinite spinning ball of login attempting, and I'm pretty sure that even if it went through it would still tell me my username/password combo is wrong. Meanwhile, the Pokemon site is telling me it's down for maintenance whenever I try to get my username (which should be shatteredrift but wasn't working after I changed my password on the umpteen hundredth attempt). I was kind of hoping for some sort of late night pokeshenanigans, but... it looks like I'll be playing this around the time everyone else stops playing.

Also, I made the joke on Facebook, but I'll make it again here: the best part of being out and about driving around right now is that you can instantly tell who's playing Pokemon Go. It's pretty funny.

Edit: Finally said screw it and registered with my Google account. Guys, it's one in the morning and I want to go on a Pokemon adventure. What do I do?

Edited by Shattered Rift

look at the map, find the blue pokespots. walk around and get close to a pokespot and tap on it and spin the circle. if you see pokemon, tap them and go catch. level up, look up how to gym later, you can't do it yet. if you find an egg, go to the pokeball at the bottom to Pokemon, slide the screen over to eggs and try to use the egg, put it in the incubator. then you just keep pokemoning until you run out of battery.

BONUS TIP install google opinion rewards to get free moneys to buy pokecoins with

Edited by Kirby-oh

I got pokemon go. Braved the harsh outside, walked around for half an hour and didn't find anything. Got back and googled to see if I was doing anything wrong, looked like I was doing everything right...restarted the app and suddenly a spearow in my room. So that was a fun waste of time.

There's an empty gym which I can access from my house. So trying to get level 5 quickly.

A gym at your house? That's so good. Every 20 hours you can pick up your defender bonus, which gives you 10 pokecoins per active pokemon defending gyms. A pokestop might actually be better though since you can get items from it every 5 minutes. Visiting a pokestop gives you 50exp, catching a pokemon gives you 100exp, a curveball catch is like 10exp, a new pokedex entry is 500exp, and hitting inside the ring when its small gives you another 100exp.

I live in a town of under 3k people. The only marker visible on the map is a Pokestop in the middle of a business on the far side of the highway. I've caught 2 Weedles, 2 Rattatas, a Pidgey and an Ekans with incense from my house. I caught a Pidgeotto at the nearby McDonalds, then went to work. I caught a Bellsprout and a Clefairy between my car and the door, but the server crash today was while the pokeball was blinking, so it didn't register. I then caught 2 Caterpies in the vicinity of work while leaving for a doctor's appointment. I'm going to wander around a bit after work because I know there's supposed to be a Dratini in the area, that dadgum Clefairy, and I've seen a "nearby" Slowpoke, Squirtle (like my starter), Magikarp, Venonat, Nidoran, and Eevee. I work in the capitol, and there are 5 pokestops around the building, a gym on the main steps, a major river behind it, and a creek beside it. Also, the downtown area seems to have somewhere on the order of 4 other gyms, 30 pokestops (2 of which I've seen spewing the pink sparks that mean they're attracting pokemon), and "rustling grass" everywhere. For once I'd rather be near work than near home. :P 

I'm also going to try the river access on the other side of the river and see if I can find anything there, since it goes out into the woods and is alongside a river. Between the two I'm hoping it means something less common will be out there. 

Edited by InuyashaOhki

8 hours ago, Sinical said:

I got pokemon go. Braved the harsh outside, walked around for half an hour and didn't find anything. Got back and googled to see if I was doing anything wrong, looked like I was doing everything right...restarted the app and suddenly a spearow in my room. So that was a fun waste of time.

One of my friends mentioned similar issues and wondered if it was due to him not using Incense. I'm very curious to hear if the mechanics end up being more pay-to-play than expected.

I've tried both Incense and Lure Module. When the server doesn't lose connection in the middle of the timer *cough*badgamedesign*cough* I catch 6 every time, no matter where I am. Walking around my neighborhood and house got me nothing, much like Sinical. In the city where I work, however, I walked past the cluster of about 8 pokestops and a gym that surround the capitol building and caught quite a lot too. I've used 2 Lure Modules and 3 Incense (didn't pay for any Incense). Not using items, I got right around 6 an hour (half the rate of with items) while killing myself in the heat. 

I will say the "rustling in the grass" animation and "nearby pokemon" are both total BS. I tracked down and walked over several without catching anything. I also caught all but 3 pokemon that weren't listed as "nearby" at all while having a large number "nearby" that I never saw. The 3 that were listed as "nearby" when I caught them were Weedles and Caterpies, so they're common enough that it's likely even those 3 weren't actually the "nearby" I was seeing. I've got a "rustling in the grass" across the street right now and nothing in my "nearby" list.