InuyashaOhki

Wolf Trek: To Boldly Howl - Signup & Graveyard

110 posts in this topic

Plot twist: Rany is Redjac XD

But seriously, Sinical is totally Redjac. This late in the game picking the player with the best social manipulation skills to be heir is the smartest play. Sinical targeted Steev for execution because Steev was the only one who could make him lose 100% by night kill.

3 hours ago, Blacjak said:

But seriously, Sinical is totally Redjac. This late in the game picking the player with the best social manipulation skills to be heir is the smartest play. Sinical targeted Steev for execution because Steev was the only one who could make him lose 100% by night kill.

This is basically my thought.

Including about Rany. :-P

43 minutes ago, Rexozord said:

inb4 Rany doesn't show up and execution is decided by coinflip.

That... would actually be a reasonably fair play if the set-up allowed it. Speaking of, has there ever been a Werewolf game where players have specifically been allowed to abstain from the vote? I realize that the Nobody votes cause a similar effect, but it seems like it would be an interesting alternative.

Came down to three at the end, that's about as close as a werewolf game can get. Well played, guys.

So, franc is cleaning, I knew it, should have followed my instincts... then again, I didn't want to clean.....

grrrrrrr at Sinical.... Sorry to every Romulan.... I'll rub my golden retriever against Franc's allergic nose during his sleep.

Steev and lion wiggles like this

I'll start off with saying, if anybody even thinks anything negative towards rany I will deliver a wishful punch to their face.

I'm sorry Rany. I did what I had to do. It doesn't feel good to do that against a newer player, but it was required. For everyone thinking it was completely obvious who was evil, you have to remember that I was not trying to convince you. I realised three days in advance that I just needed to convince rany and had a tailor made argument required to do so.

I also didn't think I would ever say this, but my three days spent as being evil in this game were much more challenging than ANY game I've ever played before. I thought it was truly impossible to win, but I planned a route and hoped for the best. It somehow worked out..

Anyway, I think that's it. Good game everyone.

Celairiel, Rany and InuyashaOhki like this

Yeah, about that - Team Redjac had god-AWFUL luck for the first five days. Literally something bad happened every Night.

Night 1 - Lilbear dies (the only permanent member of Team Redjac, and had the only daykill in the game, apparently)

Night 2 - Kill on Blacjak denied by Romulan Protector

Night 3 - Traj dreamt, leading to his execution

Night 4 - Cel and Spiritbox rezzed; at this point in the game both original members of Redjac are dead without having had any numerical influence on the game whatsoever; Blacjak killed the same night Traj heirs to him without being able to do anything with the role

Night 5 - Rex dreamt, leading to his execution

Rex heiring to Sinical was a great move on his part, and Sinical definitely MVPed the game for us.

Yeah I just had a hunch on lilbear and decided to murder her.

I worked so hard for this win XD

InuyashaOhki likes this

Sinical, that was well played. I cannot deny that. Very impressive.

I think the complicated alignments were really fun. I'd love to see more games run like this in the future. The peace treaty - which I got to be very involved with - was cleverly designed. The barriers to resolution was a good balance to prevent mass sharing of codes on-thread. I'd like to see more about specifically how Redjac/werewolf worked. It's mostly been reasoned out, but I am intrigued by the initial role description. The idea of giving two teams kills but without telling them who their teammates are was very clever. It was interesting to see how that was handled by the players in question. I wonder how I would handle such a role if it were given to me. I think I'd be more likely to not attack for at least the first few nights. But I'm sure there was incentive. And I know people were relatively free with their race identity during PM discussions Day 1. 

My only complaint is something that may have been colored by my own mood and IRL happenings this past week. I felt like there was a much grumpier feel to some of the playing. It's been a while since I've felt that in a game. I'd encourage everyone to remember that this is, indeed, just a game. One we all care a lot about, but still a game. Again, I don't know if anyone else felt this as being something particularly noticeable, but I think it's worth mentioning. 

Finally, if anyone has any critiques of my playstyle this game, I've probably already thought of them. Probably my personal worst in a while. :P Regarding this, weee, I specifically want to apologize. Your reaction to my win-con struck me very oddly. Not as in active suspicion, but put me on high caution. I told Voce to execute you if I got killed because of that. I was not nearly as certain as I should have been to make that sort of a statement. It had been said off-handedly, and I actually forgot about it until I was killed and then I couldn't discuss the game with her.... :/ 

Redjac sent in a kill list and a heir list every night, and had a total of three "jumps" that it could make. There was something in the role about it being possible to lose an heir attempt somehow, but I don't think it ever came up.

Edit: Also, I admit to killing Cel and going after Blacjak because they become innocent hubs of information pretty much every single game ever. :rolleyes: It didn't really matter in the end, though, because they both outlived me anyway.

Edited by Trajectory

My issue with Rany isn't that she made the wrong choice at the end. My issue is that she averaged one post per day. Seriously, this game isn't fun if the best way to survive is to be completely inactive.

That's actually why I didn't bother to send in my execution redirect the day I got lynched. I decided that, if the majority of players weren't going to participate and the most interesting topic of discussion was "What happens if there's a tie vote???", I didn't want to keep playing.

30 minutes ago, weee5067 said:

My issue with Rany isn't that she made the wrong choice at the end. My issue is that she averaged one post per day. Seriously, this game isn't fun if the best way to survive is to be completely inactive.

That's actually why I didn't bother to send in my execution redirect the day I got lynched. I decided that, if the majority of players weren't going to participate and the most interesting topic of discussion was "What happens if there's a tie vote???", I didn't want to keep playing.

In all honesty, I got severely ill, Rany was looking after me, and got my whatever I had a result....and this is the first time we've seen each other in two years. We're lucky to have posted at all @.@ I was seeing double some of those days.

Anyway, from the start I knew Rift's and Rany's Ambassadorial roles. Not knowing how this treaty worked, I had a really straightforward plan - keep Rift alive with my defenders - until such time he could put the treaty into action. While it may be argued there were better people to protect, I didn't know them. Given the nature of the entity, no one was above suspicion, and given the fact I had no access to any certain scan roles or info, I just kept to my limited but successful mission.

....till the slaughter in the forum. I'm humbled that ya'll felt the need to pull that one. I don't recall feeling more shocked for years!

....And I know the feeling Sinical from All Stars two years ago. Ain't life grand? Now imagine playing two weeks like that XD Very well done. If a bit too intense at the end. Rany started to think of changing her vote again.

8 minutes ago, Lieutenant-colonel Franc said:

We're lucky to have posted at all

That's what replacements are for. Like, seriously, was Rany even having fun trying to play while sick?

Just now, weee5067 said:

That's what replacements are for. Like, seriously, was Rany even having fun trying to play while sick?

Actually yes, there was a good bit of discussing and trying to figure out what to do. :)

In a lot of pain right now, so since I'm not on a deadline, I will just hit a few key aspects for tonight.

Team Redjac had a follower role as the daykill, but also as a liability as she gave a lot of info if interrogated. Of course, she was interrogated first. The rest of the team was Redjac, the "Werewolf entity". The entity gave the 4-name kill and 4-name heir list, which is how Blac was heired without time to submit a list of his own. They knew there were 3 heirings, and that there was an unspecified way to lose heirings. Heiring to Cel would lose one, while killing Cel. (That's why Cel was the sole Organian, to balance that out since there weren't enough players for the dark treaty mechanic.)

If there were 3 more players, there would have been more Organians, and a Dominion faction within the two large factions that replaced victims in much the same way as Redjac, with the ability to form a dark treaty with Redjac. Fewer players would have had the Organians left out and Dominion balancing out the easier treaty.

The combination of info and vigilante is an old role that I felt was a good way to limit info while still making it available in this setup. This was paired with alternating day Redjac dreamers that were limited by being on opposite factions and only able to find the current host, not declare anyone innocent. There were 5 roles dedicated to the treaty, and 2 protectors whose action was shown to the benefactor as guards showing up to allow role proof. One of the treaty paired roles was given the name of their counterpart to act as a sibling pairing.

2 of the faction roles were doomsday roles - if the treaty met a fail condition and the other faction was down to 2 members, they could end the faction, taking out Redjac if he was on that ship for a full day/night cycle. If they had survived and the treaty succeeded, they would have been introduced via group message to form a second sibling pairing that would notice if the other was taken over.

The fail conditions for the treaty were:

1. The 2 players who could submit codes being dead or converted with no rez.

2. Redjac converting someone who hadn't shared their codes, or dead with no rez without sharing codes.

3. 4 members of one faction killed by the interrogator on the other team (mitigated by cross-faction rezzing).

59 minutes ago, weee5067 said:

Rany and I started the game as Twins, and we stayed in contact a fair amount more than she was active on the thread. It just happened that she was sick at the worst possible time (which delayed the treaty, I believe). Then there was also a fair bit of confusion about our roles. I initially assumed Rany was a Twin, then I second-guessed things based on the faction, we didn't realize that we should immediately tell each other our codes (and treaty requirements?), and then Rany was confused about whether she was allowed to share her code at all... point is, Rany did have some things going on behind the scenes with me and Franc. (All that said, I can certainly see the argument to replace her, as she was certainly on the line for replacement if not over it.)

11 minutes ago, InuyashaOhki said:

and a Dominion faction within the two large factions that replaced victims in much the same way as Redjac, with the ability to form a dark treaty with Redjac.

I kept assuming this was how the game worked with Blacjak(?) and Steev.

11 minutes ago, InuyashaOhki said:

The combination of info and vigilante is an old role

Interesting. I can't recall ever seeing it before.

15 minutes ago, InuyashaOhki said:

2. Redjac converting someone who hadn't shared their codes, or dead with no rez without sharing codes.

How would you have known that, out of curiosity?

So I've had a bit more time to think about this game now and I have to say that I think Inu did a pretty good job with it. Having one evil player that then jumps to others is something I've thought about doing before but was absolutely terrified I'd balance it horribly. I haven't seen anything to indicate that this game was badly balanced.

The multiple factions were well implemented. My only possible concern is that the treaty was obviously key, but completely down to luck as to if it could be pulled off. I know there were rezzes as a safeguard, but there's always the chance that it'd be impossible to pull off.

One thing I never worked out....who the hell was the dreamer? I thought it was Lion, but if it was then why on earth would everyone go along with an execution on him.

Lastly, I would like to humbly request that nobody convert me again for the forseeable future following the events of this game. It won't end well.

I don't actually blame Rany.. if you're sick you're sick!! It was completely obvious Sinical was Redjac after Cel was killed. If Rany was in a right frame of mind she probably would have realised that!!

Rex - definitely gave yourself away by talking too much. The whole suggestion that myself, Voce and spiritbox were possibly some evil team was too preposterous 😄😄...

Good win team Redjac.

Blacjak likes this

Wow, way to go guys. I didn't want to comment to influence anything (not like I knew anything anyway, as I effectively didn't do anything 'cept open Redjac's Box, which was by game design) but I was really excited to follow along and see how it came out.

Great Job, Sinical. Even knowing how good Sinical is when evil, I'd have had a tough time making the last choice that Rany had to make.

19 hours ago, Blacjak said:

And he was totally on my list that night, too.

8 hours ago, Lieutenant-colonel Franc said:

....till the slaughter in the forum. I'm humbled that ya'll felt the need to pull that one. I don't recall feeling more shocked for years!

You and me both.    I jump on and see half a dozen votes changes OFF me in the last moment that I had nothing to do with.  Especially off someone who had admitted he was a killer?  Damn.

As for Rany...Sinical played you like a fiddle. :)  Can't say that's bad though, I'm pretty sure he's managed that on all of us at one point or another.  

It's hard, though, realizing that my kills *did* affect Redjac.  I could have (and almost did) but in a list with Sinical on top two days ago.  

On 7/25/2016 at 2:07 AM, thezodiac said:

Okay, so I'm Dr. Tracy and I'm Federation. I could rez one Romulan and one Federation member. I rezzed Voce then spiritbox, not Cel. Aside from Traj, there have been 11 deaths and 10 of them have been either Federation or Romulan with Cel being the lone Organian. This is just too much of a coincidence for the Organians not to be evil.

Myself, Voce and spiritbox are clear.

Cel must be evil. Probably has protection today.

Of the rest.... Rex, Sinical and Rift are probably the ones to concentrate on and I'm happy to vote either.

Vote: Rex

If there are any federation or romulan investigative roles out there then can you please contact me or Voce and divulge any information you have.

On 7/25/2016 at 11:54 AM, thezodiac said:

After reading back over everything, I can now safely say that I actually have no clue what's going on. 

Unvote: Rex

On 7/25/2016 at 2:50 PM, thezodiac said:

So who are we putting up for execution today then?

The best options seem to be: Rex, Rift, Rany, Franc or Steev....

Is Rany even still playing this game?

9 hours ago, thezodiac said:

Rex - definitely gave yourself away by talking too much. The whole suggestion that myself, Voce and spiritbox were possibly some evil team was too preposterous 😄😄...

But Rex, why all these posts, you might ask? Well, the answer is that all three of these posts from the game thread occurred before I had made a single post with a non-innocent alignment. Furthermore, Weee said, after I died and was confirmed a Redjac host, that she thought I had advance knowledge that I would be converted/heired (I did not) because my playstyle was the same before and after Traj died. So your suggestion that you were somehow able to to read my alignment from my posts is what's actually preposterous. As for the rezconverter team I theorized, it seemed perfectly reasonable to me once I knew the people responsible for the Federation and Romulan kills weren't baddies. I was expecting more than just one OMT, and since we had seen three rezzes and someone had claimed that Fox (who was dead) was also a rezzer, I think it was entirely reasonable to look into the possibility of a rezconverter. The things you attacked about what I said on thread are things that I would have done anyway, had I been innocent at the time, and had been doing previously to being converted.

That being said, I did not play perfectly. I made a lot of mistakes, but most of them were behind the scenes. For instance, I failed to fully leverage my position (on and off thread) once I was dreamed. Part of the reason was because I assumed Sinical was the dreamer (based on private reads and analysis that I had done before even becoming Redjac), which was not correct. Also, I think I may have put too many eggs in the "convert Sinical" basket (as that had been my plan from the moment I was converted and had a chance to think about my lists). It almost didn't work out, but I think if I had put in a little more effort it would have been easier for him to clench the finish. (I would have loved to convert Steev, but Redjac didn't keep prior role, and his kill suddenly disappearing would have been damning. I'm pretty sure that if Sinical had remained innocent, he would have forced Steev's hand on that.) However, a lot of the mistakes I made were from lack of information. (I did think that the rezconverter situation was a possibility and didn't know that Steev was killing Zodiac, so I burned a kill on Spiritbox that I had originally wanted to hit Rift with. If I hadn't, I could have been more flexible on my second kill than having to target Rift with it. Also, I failed to consider killing Lion because I was under the assumption that Sinical was the dreamer and I wanted to convert him.)

Edited by Rexozord

4 minutes ago, Rexozord said:

Weee said, after I died and was confirmed a Redjac host, that she thought I had advance knowledge that I would be converted/heired (I did not) because my playstyle was the same before and after Traj died.

I stand by this. You did a good job of not changing your on-thread behavior.

InuyashaOhki likes this

7 minutes ago, weee5067 said:

I stand by this. You did a good job of not changing your on-thread behavior.

That being said, I was really regretting how high-profile I was being in thread once I got converted. :P

16 hours ago, Lieutenant-colonel Franc said:

Anyway, from the start I knew Rift's and Rany's Ambassadorial roles. Not knowing how this treaty worked, I had a really straightforward plan - keep Rift alive with my defenders - until such time he could put the treaty into action. While it may be argued there were better people to protect, I didn't know them. Given the nature of the entity, no one was above suspicion, and given the fact I had no access to any certain scan roles or info, I just kept to my limited but successful mission.

That move makes so much more sense in context. Knowing two treaty members, not having info on anyone else, and knowing one of them was more at risk of attack than the other, protecting the one at risk is a decent move. Perhaps not the best move, but not an anti-town move. From outside, prior to knowing your connection to Rany or about the fact that Rany and Rift had each other's identities from the start, it sure looked weird. But this makes more sense.