Sign in to follow this  
Shattered Rift

Let's Remember Werewolf

It was 2004. Neopets was alive with people from every walk of life: avatar hunters, role players, flash gamers, mallers, and most important of all: battlers. When the IDB forums launched it provided dozens of us with a better way to communicate than the ever-disappearing Chats. And then, in the middle of everything, EvilGenius decided to host a Werewolf game.

School was seven straight hours of monotony interrupted only by the brief reprieve of lunch. My classmates were dull and unmotivated, uninterested in anything except themselves, and most of my friends were boring. There was nothing to do during the schoolday. Logging into Neopets each day, with its constant stream of role playing and battling, gave me everything that mattered. Then IDB's Shop system came. Then Werewolf came.

I had played Werewolf once before during youth group and hadn't really gotten into it. They were just more boring people in my life that didn't capture my attention. But on IDB it was brand new. I knew almost no one, I was only beginning to earn my reputation as the crazy guy saving up for a Magical Tomato, and none of us knew who we could trust or quite what to expect.

Online Werewolf was a new frontier, and even standard conventions like 24 hour days and all-roles games were reserved for the future. That first day, while I was at school on the west coast, the east coast IDBers decided to execute the inarticulate player who failed to grasp the nuance of the game. Sound familiar? Some things haven't changed in the decade since then. When I got home from school I jumped onto IDB, and even as I read the posts with dread knowing that yenkovitch would die, I kept hoping that someone would shift the votes away from him.

No one did. yenkovitch died innocent, went inactive, and became a footnote in history. Normally people like that are completely forgotten. I'm not even sure that's how his username was spelled. But I remember him.

I complained about the fact that I hadn't had a chance to vote, let alone post, before the majority vote claimed the first innocent life. That's how the 24 hour Day was born.

From that moment on, the paranoia of Werewolf seeped through into my every thought. School marked the hours between checking Werewolf. Near the end of the schoolday, I was spotting a friend in a weight training class and I rambled on and on about the game, running my mouth to gather my thoughts and theories while simultaneously trying to avoid the fear and suspicion lurking in the back of my mind. I've forgotten most of the specifics about my freshman year of high school, but that moment spent talking to a friend about Werewolf is one I'll never forget.

There were other fun things that game, like both InuyashaOhki and Neopetsmom suffering early deaths at the hands of the werewolves, as well as a third IDB Rater (Supermod?) whose identity I've since forgotten. And I'll still brag to this day about my clutch team up with GIR and Cannon that let me win the game as a plain innocent.

It was my first taste of Werewolf. And I was hooked.

. . .

Once every year or so, I reflect back on that first game. I think about where it all began. I miss EvilGenius. I wonder who yenkovitch was in real life and where he ended up. I remember how the game was more important than almost anything else in my life. And I'm proud that it led to Sparkbomb.

I want to talk about why we play Werewolf. I want to hear your stories. When did you maneuver to your best earned victory? Who did you pull the wool over for a great win? When did a simple mistake cost you the game? What was your most spectacular failure? When did random luck conspire against you? Whose game do you remember the most fondly? Was it the plot, the roles, some special mechanic? What else do you remember?

Edited by Shattered Rift

I don't remember my exactly first game, but I do remember it was on PPT (Pink Poogle Toy) forums. I was staunchly on PPT for Neopets reasons, and did avatar and set commissions (there were even Secret Santa of gifting sets to each other). It wasn't until one of my friends (siniri or Pickles, I believe) was hosting a game and needed more players, so I got roped in with extra caution how much of a newbie I was to the game. I don't remember my role or when I died, but I remember being hooked immediately. I also remember there were some overlap of players from IDB and they would sometimes advertise their WW games on the PPT forum.

A year or two later, there was some drama with the admins of the forum, and one of the moderators left to start her own forum, solely dedicated to WW called WGF (Werewolf Games Forum). It was a handful of us followed her and left PPT, so we started our own games there. I don't remember how big the games would get, but they probably weren't more than 10 or so players.

I even remember hosting a couple themed ones, such as Internet Memes, Alice and Wonderland (Tim Burton film was just released in theaters), a Hunger Games one. I think I even hosted one on Werewiki.net's forums. I wish I could go back and see my host notes. I remember I would always have issues with balancing and then over power the baddies right at the end, oops. This also lead to my massive OCD when it comes to event, running races, and party planning...I'm one of the best in my community. :P

Then some years ago, I was roped into All Stars here with siniri, Pickles, Blue, and maybe a few others from WGF. I had a pretty good time, but I know some of the others weren't fond of some playstyles and how they were being treated, so vowed to not come back. That saddened me a bit to see my long-time forum friends fade out from my Internet life over some trifle. But I can't ever see myself not being involved with an online community, whether it was Neopets or WW. I treat WW as I treat any other strategy table top game I play...it's great to have fun and be casual, but it's not a necessity to win. I want to think I recognize some of these members from my previous forums, like NPM. Other members I wonder about (not necessarily WW related), are Dyl, Twinkle, and Jas.

As far as memories go, I have been gifted with a Vigilante role for a couple of All Stars and some other WW games, which is partially why I like to think I don't die so early on in the game. I still think my favorite recent memory was when Blacjak thought I was an OMT several games back, but I was just an innocent with a daykill. :P I do appreciate Blacjak giving me a chance to win with them and I would have sided with the baddies if I was an OMT, but alas.

With age, the memory is among the first things to go. I forgot what the other things to go were.

Honestly, I don't remember EvilGenius at all. As important as he seems to have been, that's kind of sad that he's slipped from my brain. Weirdly, I do remember yenkovitch, but I don't recall him disappearing after only one game.I also recall dying early my first...several games. Either I was one of the first wolf victims or I was executed for having not been killed first.

I also remember Starry Night deciding to play with us one game. That started out well. She was very interested and asking all sorts of questions. Unfortunately, that was when she thought it was a good idea to put me on my honor that I wasn't a wolf. I completely dodged the question and never actually answered her, because of course I was a wolf. She was upset by it, even after I pointed out that it was dishonorable to invoke my honor over a game and that I'd never actually lied to her. That took a while to smooth over.

There was also the first Mouse game. I don't recall exactly how the plot went, but I'm guessing I went with mad science. I do recall making mouse avatars for a lot of people with my now-embarrassing level of Photoshop skill I had at the time. After my falling out with Starry Night and my disillusionment with Neopets after the dig-in-the-sand-forever "plot", I went elsewhere, not hearing about it again for many years until after I'd started playing Neopets again and NPM contacted me there about coming here.

I'm new to the sparks and the bombs, so my first game was the All-Stars in 2014 that NPM ran. It was insane what all she incorporated into it with the shop, powers, numerous factions on top of an absolutely huge group of players, and I'm sure she still has nightmares from running it. It was a great deal of fun to play for the short period I was alive, with all the complexities the shop based powers allowed. Coordinated, timed strikes are something I enjoy in multi-player games (Insenkampf, for example) and we carried out a couple in that...though they were futile due to the insane HP level of the person we were going after. It inspired me to get into running games again, and I kind of went overboard designing different themed games. They were piling up, and with how many were in the queue ahead of me here, I decided to try them out on Twitter with my Dalek friends. I tried a straightforward villains-as-majority game first, which got a fair amount of interest and brought several people in for the next game, where I tried out a much more limited version of the shop based powers NPM had done...and decided never to do that again. I tried several others, including a more 3-day game that I had a lot of fun injecting the countdown from Majora's Mask into. Unfortunately, that crowd seems stuck at about 10-15 people in size, and I can't get them to come here and join this crowd for larger games.

My favorite memories are running games. Frequency 317 because everyone did so well with the challenge I set of a kill-less "villain" team, the recent Star Trek game which I had worked on for a long time to make sure it would work, and even my failed Asylum game (mostly because I was having a lot of fun being an insane MC who also didn't know who had what roles) stand out most.

wow. i could go a long time on this. 

I learned mafia at friends houses getting together in high school. 

I was playing neopets when i went to IDB and i found the forums, and realized werewolf was like my favorite game on crack. 

I played a bunch there, moved to multiple other sites, eventually made it here. 

I have hosted/played over 100 games of werewolf in real life. not sure how many online. 

I have convinced people that there dream result on me was fake. I have won over 15 games online, and over 20 in person. I have lost/died more games on day 1 then anyone else I know. I have enjoyed this game for going on 10 years. And I have made a few friends or at least people i respect the hell out of along the way. 

my favorite hosted game was a LOTR
my survivor game which focused on immunity idols. 

i enjoyed the forte/silver games i think they were on IDB the most. as well as neopetsmoms games everytime. 

I have rivals, people who hate me, and people who... maybe enjoy me? not sure if any of those are left. 

I remember all the notorious players and wonder If I am in that list. 

I remember all the laughs, all the lies, all the truths, all the begging, pleading, argueing, reasoning. 

this game has meant a lot to me. i appreciate all of you. 

A combination of being punched in the head and excessive alcohol over the years seem to have killed a good chunk of my long term memory I'm afraid. But I think I remember enough to give an answer.

Unlike most here, I started on NCW instead of IDB. I know there is some overlap in users between the two sites, but I'm really surprised there isn't a greater degree of overlap between the two. Anyway, I was part of the battledome guild (the big public one) and there was a post on our forum by buzz about a werewolf game, I checked it out and the rest is history.

The funny thing now I think about it is I've been on practically every werewolf forum that originated from the neopets community except for idb. I've been on NCW, PPT, randomness, dba, solus lupus, the one dyl(?) made and I think other other beginning with w that I can't recall the name of. I've almost been on as many different forums as we have active players left these days, and considering each of these communities reached 30 player games it's a bit sad to think about.

Anyway, for highlight games? Where the hell do I begin. I'll start with the oldest that sticks in my mind. It was back on NCW and hosted by our own lovable @InuyashaOhki. I was an OMT/neutral that could switch alignments pretty much at will. I was a frycook and chose a number each night which produced food with a hidden effect. Anyway, I stayed with the innocents most the game and pretty much had a win guaranteed with them...so naturally being the person I was I switched to the evil team just before they were going to be eliminated and the game over. I think there were about 5 innocents alive at that point vs me and I ended up fighting the game back to a...draw. Basically there were three people left at the end. Me, a celebrity type role and somebody stuck in animal form and didn't count towards the playerbase. I had an item that healed me back to full when killed, so I had no fears about killing the celebrity. Unfortunately, Inu thought that the celebrity effect would still kill me despite the potion. So effectively everyone died.

I guess next highlight would be my own first hosted game. It was final fantasy x themed. And boy did I make some bad decisions. Everyone had an HP total. When attacked I would use a randomiser to see if they died. This all sounds standard right? Well the small problem was that if somebody survived, I took the randomised number off their health instead of a set amount. The end result was that @Trajectory was trying desperately to kill a dreamer. Long story short...the randomiser rolled three attacks in a row less than 10, the dreamer was very much still alive, traj died to a single execution and traj was not pleased. I never used that hp system again.

It also seems necessary to bring up NPMs last allstar game. It goes without saying how absolutely insane it was and how much time must have been spent on it. It obviously had some flaws, but it truly was a once in a lifetime experience. I was lucky in that I was involved in the heart of it the whole time...for better or worse. The amount of plotting and communication I was involved in was unreal, I even opened my own information store during it. It was hilarious and it actually worked. I don't remember too much else of it honestly, I don't recall if the ending was close or who else was still alive other than teammates + rox, just that we won.

And one last game for my "best win". I honestly think that would be the recent star trek game posted here. It was far from my most glamorous win all things considered, but it felt like true werewolf. The only thing I had at my disposable was sheer manipulation. I was at some insane odds, but I put together a plan of how I wanted to play the game...and the plan worked. I set up the final days events about four days in advance and other than misjudging one or two votes which led to me having to survive by Inu fixing the coinflip RNG, absolutely everything in my plan came out as expected.

For less fond reasons, I also remember I think an eight game spree of games where I was dead before night 3 on dba. That was fun.

When you think about it, this community as a whole has pretty much lived a full life cycle of an empire. We started off having no idea what we were doing and fumbled along making mistakes until we had a decent idea of what worked. Then we all spread out and colonised as many sites as possible for the glory of werewolf. Then the empire fell, leaving us with only one declining city left. Here we sit thinking about the good 'ol days and absolutely refusing to die. 

That said, it has been a fun ride. Thank you all for the memories. 

Edited by Sinical

Jeez, it's been ages, but... let's see.

I got my start in online werewolf in high school. Let's see. Must have been at some point between 2004 and 2007. It was a primarily-roleplaying site called December Romance, and I had dabbled in an RP here and there... but a guy named Pironious decided to bring Werewolf to the forum. I didn't make it into the first game, or the second, but I did make it into the third game... and this game was pretty complex. It featured two baddie teams, both with conversion mechanics as well as kills. I remember being the leader of the Cult team (as opposed to the Vampire team), and due to the mechanics it wasn't a sure thing that the people lower down the chain of command knew all their teammates. I coasted through the game on the strength of a fake role - it was the Coroner role, and I was completely making up things about dead people in order to seem innocent, but everyone I talked to bought it, even using my pronouncements to execute people, while I happily converted people behind the scenes. This is the first instance I can think of of anything like the Coroner role existing, so I like to think that I invented it. :P We did end up winning. I believe i jumped from DR to... here, I think? I don't remember how, exactly, but I was friends with Bandersnatch, Katz, and Chloe - one of them might have had something to do with it. I spread from here to PPT, Randomness, IDB, and then Solus Lupus while it was active, and then Darkbleed Asylum, and then WGF when it was created. I remember at one point I was hosting three games at once - one on DBA, one on PPT and one on Randomness, I think. I was also involved in a few games at NCW, although I was only there for a couple games before things just kinda... stopped happening there. Oh! And the Barrowdowns, which is technically still active, and where I've played the games that are easily, easily the most logic- and behavior-based games I've ever played.

As far as highlights go... hmm. I remember hosting an Anitaverse game on DBA that went over pretty well - my favorite part of that game was when Rhey (an OMT) used an ability she had to kill something like six people at once. Mass chaos ensued. People seemed to like the series of games I had going on here involving color - everyone was a different hue, and had the ability to change what color they were by meditating at night and soaking up color from the Aurora. As a player, there have been a couple games I remember fondly - specifically, one game on the Barrowdowns where I started off as a wolf in a team of four, and proceeded to watch all three of my teammates be executed Days 1, 2, and 3, and came back as a lone wolf to win the game entirely through manipulation, and Neopetsmom's All-Star game involving the Shop that I thought I had on lock until I was cruelly stabbed in the back by @Sinical (:P). To this day I find myself wanting to trust him, but being unable to fully.

Edit: I should probably mention the fights I've gotten into over this game. When I get angry, my vocabulary level tends to skyrocket and I start using really big words, for some reason, and I've been in major knock-down drag-out fights with people on the forums before over games. @Clucky is the first person that comes to mind, and I know I've gotten into it with @Blacjak and @Sinical and @thezodiac as well. But for me, the slate is wiped clean as soon as the game's over - I never hold grudges from game to game. Thanks, guys, for putting up with me and my uncertain temper.

Edited by Trajectory

Ahaha, I remember that now! You bought something really expensive and I know I needed it.

*Digs around a bit*

Here's the spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bhSrH0qRc5b_XE_BQzXmtUQoOJSojDB5yU80JmI6PF0/edit#gid=1353434559

I know I didn't really want to kill you. But you bought yinyang. A kill and a rez all in one was insanely powerful, so taking it away from the innocents and acquiring it for myself was something I was honestly more or less forced to do.

9 hours ago, Sinical said:

and somebody stuck in animal form

I would never do such a thing... :o 

I really wish I kept notes or spreadsheets from back then. I suspect the celebrity role had some inspiration from the Survivor themed games we had at either NCW or IDB. For a show I couldn't stand to watch a full episode of, I spent an inordinate amount of time with games around it. Though, I think my premise was that we actually killed off the losers so the winner really would be a survivor.

I think at some point I'm going to have to bring back transformation mechanics. In fact, I'll probably have an outline for that by the end of the day now that my mind is spinning off on that tangent.

I know I started on PPT, but not which game exactly. The first game i distinctly remember was one where I was a neutral role stealer. I had everything in my power to basically decide who won, but because of several factors I got nightkilled and lost. I think the host was... okamotosan(numbers)?

From there I went to several other of the already mentioned forums. DBA where I hosted my first game, Randomness, even stayed a bit at WGF and played a few games on iDB, but by then everyone had a lot more experience so I didn't have many stand-out performances. I remember winning one game at PPT hosted by I think wis, as the heir to a poisoner OMT. I came out on top because of well-timed power usage despite it being a very close game with pretty much every team still being active in the final days.

I was actually very easy to trick (one time, a baddie claimed team protector to me and I only realised they were lying like 3-4 days after that team's protector died). I don't think that has changed much, I'm still pretty bad at the whole figuring out who's lying and social analysis thing.

After that, the next thing I remember is one of the early games on new Sparkbomb where I realised the power of bull###### RNG claiming neutral coordinated power usage, which I would later use in NPM's All-Stars game to orchestrate a few nights of sheer chaos. The planning behind them and the utter destruction that ensued when suddenly there were bodies everywhere was honestly the most fun I've had playing WW - my only regret in that game was not being able to restock a second yin-yang I would use to rez Josh and bring even more chaos to the game.

Aaaaaand then because of All-Stars I'm basically not allowed to be neutral anymore. worth

I also rather enjoy hosting despite only rarely doing so. Crazy things happen every single time I host, even though most of those times I actually hosted were in a portuguese WW forum, and it's incredible every single time.

@InuyashaOhki Hey, I liked that Asylum game.I was grinning for five minutes straight when the risky "execute the MC with a single vote" strat actually worked.

@Trajectory I remember you doing the triple hosting. Didn't you get sick halfway through and all three games stopped?

Edited by Roxeon

I really appreciate everyone's involvement and story sharing. :) Going to see how many things I can reply to...

22 hours ago, Zilary said:

It wasn't until one of my friends (siniri or Pickles, I believe) was hosting a game and needed more players, so I got roped in with extra caution how much of a newbie I was to the game. I don't remember my role or when I died, but I remember being hooked immediately. I also remember there were some overlap of players from IDB and they would sometimes advertise their WW games on the PPT forum.

A year or two later, there was some drama with the admins of the forum, and one of the moderators left to start her own forum, solely dedicated to WW called WGF (Werewolf Games Forum). It was a handful of us followed her and left PPT, so we started our own games there. I don't remember how big the games would get, but they probably weren't more than 10 or so players.

. . .

I think I even hosted one on Werewiki.net's forums. I wish I could go back and see my host notes. I remember I would always have issues with balancing and then over power the baddies right at the end, oops. This also lead to my massive OCD when it comes to event, running races, and party planning...I'm one of the best in my community. :P

. . .

Other members I wonder about (not necessarily WW related), are Dyl, Twinkle, and Jas.

It's great that one of your friends roped you into Werewolf. I spend a lot of time thinking about those little things, where if you didn't make the choice you made or a friend didn't make an invitation they did, or a small thing didn't line up the way it did, how it would completely change your life.

Looking back, I wish I had been a little more involved with Werewiki and WGF. But they were both created at the times I was least involved with things, and then I spent '09/'10 working on Sparkbomb and woefully ignorant of things that were going on. The loss of Werewiki's database was probably one of the biggest losses we've suffered, and I'm disappointed that I haven't done more to build up SparkWiki. It's also interesting that we haven't needed a wiki in the same way, though. Most of us who are left are pretty dedicated and already familiar with our options for game design.

Dyl's still around, just not playing Werewolf. If Rex and Blacjak and company are still running a role playing group, Dyl's in it. I haven't been in touch with Twinkle or Jas since that game, though. Have you?

20 hours ago, InuyashaOhki said:

Honestly, I don't remember EvilGenius at all. As important as he seems to have been, that's kind of sad that he's slipped from my brain. Weirdly, I do remember yenkovitch, but I don't recall him disappearing after only one game.I also recall dying early my first...several games. Either I was one of the first wolf victims or I was executed for having not been killed first.

I also remember Starry Night deciding to play with us one game. That started out well. She was very interested and asking all sorts of questions. Unfortunately, that was when she thought it was a good idea to put me on my honor that I wasn't a wolf. I completely dodged the question and never actually answered her, because of course I was a wolf. She was upset by it, even after I pointed out that it was dishonorable to invoke my honor over a game and that I'd never actually lied to her. That took a while to smooth over.

There was also the first Mouse game. I don't recall exactly how the plot went, but I'm guessing I went with mad science. I do recall making mouse avatars for a lot of people with my now-embarrassing level of Photoshop skill I had at the time. After my falling out with Starry Night and my disillusionment with Neopets after the dig-in-the-sand-forever "plot", I went elsewhere, not hearing about it again for many years until after I'd started playing Neopets again and NPM contacted me there about coming here.

I'm new to the sparks and the bombs, so my first game was the All-Stars in 2014 that NPM ran. It was insane what all she incorporated into it with the shop, powers, numerous factions on top of an absolutely huge group of players, and I'm sure she still has nightmares from running it. It was a great deal of fun to play for the short period I was alive, with all the complexities the shop based powers allowed. Coordinated, timed strikes are something I enjoy in multi-player games (Insenkampf, for example) and we carried out a couple in that...though they were futile due to the insane HP level of the person we were going after. It inspired me to get into running games again, and I kind of went overboard designing different themed games. They were piling up, and with how many were in the queue ahead of me here, I decided to try them out on Twitter with my Dalek friends. I tried a straightforward villains-as-majority game first, which got a fair amount of interest and brought several people in for the next game, where I tried out a much more limited version of the shop based powers NPM had done...and decided never to do that again. I tried several others, including a more 3-day game that I had a lot of fun injecting the countdown from Majora's Mask into. Unfortunately, that crowd seems stuck at about 10-15 people in size, and I can't get them to come here and join this crowd for larger games.

My favorite memories are running games. Frequency 317 because everyone did so well with the challenge I set of a kill-less "villain" team, the recent Star Trek game which I had worked on for a long time to make sure it would work, and even my failed Asylum game (mostly because I was having a lot of fun being an insane MC who also didn't know who had what roles) stand out most.

EvilGenius was kind of just part of the Rater crowd. He left shortly before Shaft imploded due to the Rater and forum politics. At one point in time I think I had his name (Matthew Diver, or something?), but efforts to track him down were fruitless. I've always wanted to thank him: he probably has no idea that hosting a one-shot Werewolf game on IDB led to so many communities and friendships.

I might be misremembering about yenkovitch, too. Maybe he did stick around for a little while but didn't play Werewolf. Or maybe he did play another game of Werewolf and I'm completely wrong. Memory's funny like that.

Was the game that Starry joined on IDB or NCW? I want to say that I vaguely remember this.

I can't remember exactly when the Lost Desert plot was either... how long were you involved with NCW for? I know that I lost track of you when you went over there, and I was quite surprised when you were active on... whichever Neopets forum it was that NPM found you on. (Or did she get in touch with you via neomail?) A few of the old hats were quite surprised to see you, given the history. Of course, I think the only person still around besides me who was directly involved in things was Clucky, and Clucky was pretty sidelined due to his real life situation at the time. (I think he went on vacation at an opportune time or something.)

The Star Trek game was excellent. I'm not sure how many faction games have been run previously, but you definitely set a standard for how to run a faction-based game successfully.

15 hours ago, Ekul said:

wow. i could go a long time on this. 

I learned mafia at friends houses getting together in high school. 

I was playing neopets when i went to IDB and i found the forums, and realized werewolf was like my favorite game on crack. 

I played a bunch there, moved to multiple other sites, eventually made it here. 

I have hosted/played over 100 games of werewolf in real life. not sure how many online. 

I have convinced people that there dream result on me was fake. I have won over 15 games online, and over 20 in person. I have lost/died more games on day 1 then anyone else I know. I have enjoyed this game for going on 10 years. And I have made a few friends or at least people i respect the hell out of along the way. 

my favorite hosted game was a LOTR
my survivor game which focused on immunity idols. 

i enjoyed the forte/silver games i think they were on IDB the most. as well as neopetsmoms games everytime. 

I have rivals, people who hate me, and people who... maybe enjoy me? not sure if any of those are left. 

I remember all the notorious players and wonder If I am in that list. 

I remember all the laughs, all the lies, all the truths, all the begging, pleading, argueing, reasoning. 

this game has meant a lot to me. i appreciate all of you. 

By all means, ramble on as much as you want. :)

It's cool that you've invested so much time playing Werewolf in real life. I'm curious, how many others is this true for? I've only played a handful of games in person (and only run another handful). How do you find that those games go? I assume the groups you play with are more casual than those here, but then again with that many games it could probably go either way.

It's been too long since we've had a Forte/Silver game. I only remember their Gotham game, and... I really don't remember anything about it. I remember enjoying their plots.

I appreciate you too. :)

15 hours ago, Sinical said:

Unlike most here, I started on NCW instead of IDB. I know there is some overlap in users between the two sites, but I'm really surprised there isn't a greater degree of overlap between the two. Anyway, I was part of the battledome guild (the big public one) and there was a post on our forum by buzz about a werewolf game, I checked it out and the rest is history.

The funny thing now I think about it is I've been on practically every werewolf forum that originated from the neopets community except for idb. I've been on NCW, PPT, randomness, dba, solus lupus, the one dyl(?) made and I think other other beginning with w that I can't recall the name of. I've almost been on as many different forums as we have active players left these days, and considering each of these communities reached 30 player games it's a bit sad to think about.

. . .

Basically there were three people left at the end. Me, a celebrity type role and somebody stuck in animal form and didn't count towards the playerbase. I had an item that healed me back to full when killed, so I had no fears about killing the celebrity. Unfortunately, Inu thought that the celebrity effect would still kill me despite the potion. So effectively everyone died.

I guess next highlight would be my own first hosted game. It was final fantasy x themed. And boy did I make some bad decisions. Everyone had an HP total. When attacked I would use a randomiser to see if they died. This all sounds standard right? Well the small problem was that if somebody survived, I took the randomised number off their health instead of a set amount. The end result was that @Trajectory was trying desperately to kill a dreamer. Long story short...the randomiser rolled three attacks in a row less than 10, the dreamer was very much still alive, traj died to a single execution and traj was not pleased. I never used that hp system again.

It also seems necessary to bring up NPMs last allstar game. It goes without saying how absolutely insane it was and how much time must have been spent on it. It obviously had some flaws, but it truly was a once in a lifetime experience. I was lucky in that I was involved in the heart of it the whole time...for better or worse. The amount of plotting and communication I was involved in was unreal, I even opened my own information store during it. It was hilarious and it actually worked. I don't remember too much else of it honestly, I don't recall if the ending was close or who else was still alive other than teammates + rox, just that we won.

And one last game for my "best win". I honestly think that would be the recent star trek game posted here. It was far from my most glamorous win all things considered, but it felt like true werewolf. The only thing I had at my disposable was sheer manipulation. I was at some insane odds, but I put together a plan of how I wanted to play the game...and the plan worked. I set up the final days events about four days in advance and other than misjudging one or two votes which led to me having to survive by Inu fixing the coinflip RNG, absolutely everything in my plan came out as expected.

For less fond reasons, I also remember I think an eight game spree of games where I was dead before night 3 on dba. That was fun.

When you think about it, this community as a whole has pretty much lived a full life cycle of an empire. We started off having no idea what we were doing and fumbled along making mistakes until we had a decent idea of what worked. Then we all spread out and colonised as many sites as possible for the glory of werewolf. Then the empire fell, leaving us with only one declining city left. Here we sit thinking about the good 'ol days and absolutely refusing to die. 

That said, it has been a fun ride. Thank you all for the memories. 

You started at NCW? I'd thought you'd started at DBA. There's, uh, some old drama that is probably responsible for the lack of crossover between Sparkbomb and NCW. (NCW was disbanded around '06, right? I suppose disbanding as late as '07 would have the same result due to Sparkbomb's inactivity at the time.)

Buzz created Werewiki, as I recall, and then Dyl managed it. I think. And the one starting with W is probably WGF. It is sad to think that 30+ player games used to be the norm. I don't think we've really had that kind of attendance since '06, though. Maybe '07 on IDB. (I have notes on this somewhere, I think... but those notes also might be limited primarily to '06 and prior.)

It's funny how MC decisions can mess up our plans like that. It's also funny and embarrassing to think about bad hosting decisions. I hosted a faction-based paintballing game in mid-'05 that was... terrible and made no sense. Then I had to go on vacation before it ended or something, and I had Exile take over hosting for the terrible ending. I miss Exile.

I think it's really neat how many people are mentioning NPM's All-Stars game. It was definitely insane. Uniting my team of four was a confusing mess, and it still resulted in my death anyway (and I think most of us got picked off pretty quickly). The resurrection on me was totally OP, tying my life to Rox. I can't remember if we made the mistake of telling Rox that my life was tied to his or not. So then you OHKOed Rox and quickly swept the game with practically the entire cult.

I love the classic Werewolf style of wits and maneuvering the most too. I find it especially fun in real life as a baddie because of how much I struggle to keep a straight face. Just ask Cel. She and I have a lot of fun playing together, because half of the time we can totally read each other but the other half of the time we're able to make each other doubt our reads.

It's been an awesome ride, and it's far from over.

Note to self: I left off with Traj's post. I'll be back in here again later to reply to more.

I remember playing my first WW game on IDB. This friendly guy befriended me and we'd often talk about the game. I was the mystic. But I was smart enough to not trust him and dreamed him and found he was a werewolf and was able to get one of the other innocent people I had already cleared to take him out.

Then in my next game I dreamed him first right away and turned out he wasn't a werewolf so I thought I could trust him but then he was the traitor so that didn't really work.

That persons name?

JOHN CENA

3 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

Was the game that Starry joined on IDB or NCW? I want to say that I vaguely remember this.

I thought it was on NCW, but my memory is pretty poor for that time period. 

I can't remember exactly when the Lost Desert plot was either... how long were you involved with NCW for? I know that I lost track of you when you went over there, and I was quite surprised when you were active on... whichever Neopets forum it was that NPM found you on. (Or did she get in touch with you via neomail?) A few of the old hats were quite surprised to see you, given the history. Of course, I think the only person still around besides me who was directly involved in things was Clucky, and Clucky was pretty sidelined due to his real life situation at the time. (I think he went on vacation at an opportune time or something.)

I looked it up, and it was 2005, just after I moved into my last apartment. I founded NCW with Starry and ran it with her for about two years before what I'm politely calling a falling out (not going to go into it publicly). I stuck around for about another year, leaving at the same time I left Neopets. Someone on some instant messenger talked to me about it not too long after I left, and I saw the site was gone, so I don't think I missed much of NCW's existence.

The Star Trek game was excellent. I'm not sure how many faction games have been run previously, but you definitely set a standard for how to run a faction-based game successfully.

I'm really happy to hear you say that. :) 

I like faction games, and have both played and run a few, but they are definitely much harder to plan. I think my favorite one I've played, even though it had problems, was Blac's heart game. A few of us got together, and figured out how to create a stalemate. We just had to kill off Sinical to do it. Unfortunately, killing Sinical took long enough that we gave up and decided to end it, discovering that my "neutral" role wasn't actually as advertised. As with a lot of these, what makes a game is often the other players as much as it is the design of the game. You need co-conspirators. ;) 

14 hours ago, Clucky said:

I remember playing my first WW game on IDB. This friendly guy befriended me and we'd often talk about the game. I was the mystic. But I was smart enough to not trust him and dreamed him and found he was a werewolf and was able to get one of the other innocent people I had already cleared to take him out.

Then in my next game I dreamed him first right away and turned out he wasn't a werewolf so I thought I could trust him but then he was the traitor so that didn't really work.

That persons name?

JOHN CENA

*BURSTS INTO THE THREAD*

How did I space on both of these events when they're two of the only ones I remember from early IDB? I remember keeping you alive in that first game because I thought I could manipulate you (and I was doing so successfully) and odds are you weren't the dreamer so it was safe. Vengeance in that second game wasn't nearly so sweet, though. I had to claim Day 2 or 3 because I was going out of town for Spring Break and I just wanted to unite with my team before I died or something. ... did I publicly oust you as Dreamer while claiming Traitor? I must have. I wish I could remember. That... might very well count as the first true Rift Gambit.

If I remember right, that was right before Spring Break, and while I was gone on Spring Break GIR and Cannon attacked me, and then Shaft followed a few weeks later. Oh happy timeline memories.

On 8/31/2016 at 2:05 AM, Trajectory said:

I coasted through the game on the strength of a fake role - it was the Coroner role, and I was completely making up things about dead people in order to seem innocent, but everyone I talked to bought it, even using my pronouncements to execute people, while I happily converted people behind the scenes. This is the first instance I can think of of anything like the Coroner role existing, so I like to think that I invented it. :P We did end up winning. I believe i jumped from DR to... here, I think? I don't remember how, exactly, but I was friends with Bandersnatch, Katz, and Chloe - one of them might have had something to do with it. I spread from here to PPT, Randomness, IDB, and then Solus Lupus while it was active, and then Darkbleed Asylum, and then WGF when it was created. I remember at one point I was hosting three games at once - one on DBA, one on PPT and one on Randomness, I think. I was also involved in a few games at NCW, although I was only there for a couple games before things just kinda... stopped happening there. Oh! And the Barrowdowns, which is technically still active, and where I've played the games that are easily, easily the most logic- and behavior-based games I've ever played.

. . .

People seemed to like the series of games I had going on here involving color - everyone was a different hue, and had the ability to change what color they were by meditating at night and soaking up color from the Aurora.

I can't imagine that was the first instance of a Coroner, but... maybe. Pironious was a PPTer originally, right?

Odds are Katz or Chloe brought you over, seeing as both were role players. I don't think Bandersnatch was on DR (but maybe he was). I'd forgotten about Solus Lupus (and don't remember much besides the name) and Barrowdowns, which is completely separate from our neck of the woods, isn't it?

Mentioning color reminds me of Mike's Wheel of Misfortune game where the majority of the players all got sucked into the Wheel. I was one half of a two-Mystic Dream Team. (I think it was Seashell and I. I have the notes on who it was somewhere, 'cause I always get mixed up and think it was... erm... can't remember who I always think it was.) And then someone pulled me back out of the Wheel so we could win(?) the game. (Naturally, I first spun it on the very night it sucked everyone in.)

22 hours ago, InuyashaOhki said:

I think at some point I'm going to have to bring back transformation mechanics. In fact, I'll probably have an outline for that by the end of the day now that my mind is spinning off on that tangent.

Transformation mechanic?

22 hours ago, Roxeon said:

I was actually very easy to trick (one time, a baddie claimed team protector to me and I only realised they were lying like 3-4 days after that team's protector died). I don't think that has changed much, I'm still pretty bad at the whole figuring out who's lying and social analysis thing.

After that, the next thing I remember is one of the early games on new Sparkbomb where I realised the power of bull###### RNG claiming neutral coordinated power usage, which I would later use in NPM's All-Stars game to orchestrate a few nights of sheer chaos. The planning behind them and the utter destruction that ensued when suddenly there were bodies everywhere was honestly the most fun I've had playing WW - my only regret in that game was not being able to restock a second yin-yang I would use to rez Josh and bring even more chaos to the game.

Aaaaaand then because of All-Stars I'm basically not allowed to be neutral anymore. worth

I also rather enjoy hosting despite only rarely doing so. Crazy things happen every single time I host, even though most of those times I actually hosted were in a portuguese WW forum, and it's incredible every single time.

Note to self: Run double Protectors in a game... again. Actually, double Protectors seems like a really viable option. Might require making successful Protects silent (even to the user), but... hmm.

Yeah, that was pretty crazy. I can't remember what all I contributed to that, but you coordinated both me and the Cult for proper mayhem. I also love how your reaction is, "I succeeded at Neutral so hard that I don't get to be Neutral again. Mission accomplished."

You've hosted in a Portuguese Werewolf forum? Tell me more.

13 hours ago, InuyashaOhki said:

I looked it up, and it was 2005, just after I moved into my last apartment. I founded NCW with Starry and ran it with her for about two years before what I'm politely calling a falling out (not going to go into it publicly). I stuck around for about another year, leaving at the same time I left Neopets. Someone on some instant messenger talked to me about it not too long after I left, and I saw the site was gone, so I don't think I missed much of NCW's existence.

I'm really happy to hear you say that. :) 

I like faction games, and have both played and run a few, but they are definitely much harder to plan. I think my favorite one I've played, even though it had problems, was Blac's heart game. A few of us got together, and figured out how to create a stalemate. We just had to kill off Sinical to do it. Unfortunately, killing Sinical took long enough that we gave up and decided to end it, discovering that my "neutral" role wasn't actually as advertised. As with a lot of these, what makes a game is often the other players as much as it is the design of the game. You need co-conspirators. ;) 

*Nods*

Co-conspirators, eh? That's not something I've given a lot of thought to in my game. I've been trying, in recent years, to try to player-proof my games. Otherwise we get oddities like Traj's recent game where it's completely one-sided, and even though that should be the exception, it seems all-too-often to be the norm.

Edited by Shattered Rift

I can't imagine that was the first instance of a Coroner, but... maybe. Pironious was a PPTer originally, right?

Odds are Katz or Chloe brought you over, seeing as both were role players. I don't think Bandersnatch was on DR (but maybe he was). I'd forgotten about Solus Lupus (and don't remember much besides the name) and Barrowdowns, which is completely separate from our neck of the woods, isn't it?

No, I brought Piro over to PPT. I remember because he hosted his gigantic WoW-themed game there where I stupidly gave the win to the Burning Legion.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure it was Chloe and Katz both, by way of Neopets. Bandy might have been in the RP we did there as well. And yeah, Barrowdowns is a LotR forum. I don't think anyone but myself has ever been there. The Werewolf forum is kinda defunct at the moment, I think the last game was a year ago or something like that. They have old games I can go and read when I'm feeling down, though. :P

11 minutes ago, Shattered Rift said:

Transformation mechanic?

In some games, players have a power that is accessible in one state and not in another, while being more protected in the less powerful form. I'm not sure if there's an official Sparkbomb name for this, but I call it a transformation mechanic, and others I've seen use it do so with transformation. I believe NPM ran one last year that involved shapeshifting into animal forms. For a generic example, you could be on the Werewolf team and not able to kill in human form, but you could choose to transform on night 1, letting you use your kill ability on night 2. Someone with a limited dreamer ability could find you on night 2 while you're killing because you're in wolf form. You change back at the end of night 2 and spend day/night 3 in human form, so if the limited dreamer targets you then, he would see a human instead.

So far, for my game this tangent got me thinking on, I've added a new mechanic I'm calling "wariness" that I'm hoping will yield interesting threats to innocents and villains alike. No details yet, in case it doesn't work in my game modeling and I choose to name something else "wariness" so it doesn't look like I screwed up.B)

11 minutes ago, Shattered Rift said:

Co-conspirators, eh? That's not something I've given a lot of thought to in my game. I've been trying, in recent years, to try to player-proof my games. Otherwise we get oddities like Traj's recent game where it's completely one-sided, and even though that should be the exception, it seems all-too-often to be the norm.

Conspiracies have to occur naturally, often being the most fun when the MC isn't expecting it. I'm not sure if an MC can really plan for them. The problem with Traj's game wasn't player-proofing, though, it was having to rush to create a new game when he didn't get as many as he needed for the game he planned. I assumed from his forehead slap that he realized this, so I didn't criticize him for it. 

So.... it all started on 2002, I started to play Neopets by 2000 - 2001. For a reason I can't remember, I ended in PPT and I started to study A LOT of neopets items and market stuff. I eventually fell in love for people's art and signature, and I decided to give it a try. Then neopets war happened and I spent hours studying the IDB database to optimize my pet. Eventually I met someone from the IDB staff (a british person who had the FC letters on his nickname, I forgot the name, he always had a Batle Duck icon) and from there I met more people on MSN, including Novachoek, Breelom, Lackadazed, Armi, Absolute_Zero and many more. Then PPT died and IDB had this forum, so I joined it and someone asked me to play with them, and I followed. I liked the game, so I stayed. By that time I used my mental condition to enjoy myself and provoke some chaos, the more unpredictable the better, but most of the time I always played the honest way, which made me win once as a OMT. I loved it.

Anyway, I stopped playing during 2006 - 2010, and when I returned I had to learn how to write again, so I used the few Werewolves games I had to practice, and I no longer have time, but I remember how I could spend my time checking for any reply during most nights just to answer it as fast as possible. That's how I work.

In all honesty, I wish I could make a WW video game...

23 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

It's funny how MC decisions can mess up our plans like that. It's also funny and embarrassing to think about bad hosting decisions. I hosted a faction-based paintballing game in mid-'05 that was... terrible and made no sense. Then I had to go on vacation before it ended or something, and I had Exile take over hosting for the terrible ending. I miss Exile.

Is that why I've gotten two emails in the past couple days? 

Also, hi. 

Staying on topic, first game I played was WW 2 at IDB, where I was a werewolf and won. Both of those things were strong factors in why I played as much as I did; I doubt I would have gotten nearly as interested if I didn't have a team to talk to/actual powers. If my first game was a plain innocent role I might have ended up not really following through with it at all. After that, IDB to here. Hosted a bunch here, played a bunch too. I still have the plots and roles for several of the games I hosted kicking around on my hard drive. The rest got lost in one of the computer transfers since then. I still have the master list of the Paintball roles though. 

As for why I don't play anymore...it's hard to say. Some of it is just time of life. I was in high school when I was playing the most actively, and I had an abundance of free time. Now with work and grad school, the motivation doesn't seem to be there anymore. Some of it may be because I'm not on AIM or MSN anymore and that type of out of thread discussion and talks were a lot of the fun for me. And hosting, but the spark for that is definitely gone. 

I have played Avalon and One Night Werewolf a couple of times IRL since I fell in with a board gaming crowd. The mechanics are definitely still fun, but the forum based implementation of them just isn't the same I think. Maybe I lack patience. Maybe I just don't like to type things as much as I used to. Doesn't help that now when I talk to internet peoples I use Teamspeak 99% of the time, and talking is substantially quicker than typing. 

Anyway. I remembered I created a "Werewolf games" folder last time I sorted my documents. Looks like I've got a couple of ones. I have a prologue for something called Exiled Gods, but I can't remember if that was one of mine or if I was reading it for someone, since I can't find any other game documents. I do have a document with my game record though! It seemed important at the time.

WW Game Record – Exile

Hosted Werewolf Ancient Evil; Sparkbomb
Hosted Werewolf References; Sparkbomb
Hosted Werewolf Royalness; Sparkbomb
Took over Werewolf Paintball; Sparkbomb
Hosted Werewolf Jungle Research; Sparkbomb
Hosted Werewolf Fresh Meat; Sparkbomb – Best of the Best
Hosted Werewolf Old School; Sparkbomb – Best of the Best

Played Werewolf Eragon; Urgal won w/innocents – NCW
Werewolf 2 – Won as Werewolf – IDB
Werewolf 15 Et All – Healer – Lost – IDB
Werewolf 22 – Ghost – Lost – IDB
Werewolf 23 – Innocent – Won – IDB
Werewolf 4 – Winner – IDB
Dark Rose/Werewolf All Star Invitational – Innocent – Won – IDB
Lycanthrope 2 – Survivor – Won – IDB
Werewolf/ Dark Rose 10 – Won – IDB
Werewolf/Dark Rose 12 – Mason – Won – IDB
Werewolf 17 Et Al – Cowardly Reported; Recruited Cult Member – Won – IDB

Also, looking at Royalness I like those roles. Would need some tweaking if ever used in the future (several powers have a % chance of failing entirely, which I now hate), but I like the rest. 

Edit: Wait, I can't edit quotes? What? 

Edited by Exiled Phoenix
Fixing quote box.

4 hours ago, InuyashaOhki said:

In some games, players have a power that is accessible in one state and not in another, while being more protected in the less powerful form. I'm not sure if there's an official Sparkbomb name for this, but I call it a transformation mechanic, and others I've seen use it do so with transformation. I believe NPM ran one last year that involved shapeshifting into animal forms. For a generic example, you could be on the Werewolf team and not able to kill in human form, but you could choose to transform on night 1, letting you use your kill ability on night 2. Someone with a limited dreamer ability could find you on night 2 while you're killing because you're in wolf form. You change back at the end of night 2 and spend day/night 3 in human form, so if the limited dreamer targets you then, he would see a human instead.

So far, for my game this tangent got me thinking on, I've added a new mechanic I'm calling "wariness" that I'm hoping will yield interesting threats to innocents and villains alike. No details yet, in case it doesn't work in my game modeling and I choose to name something else "wariness" so it doesn't look like I screwed up.B)

It's the first time I can recall hearing about it, and I'm very intrigued. I also like that this is coming up at the same time that Rex is testing out Frequency: I'm not sure how similar or different the two will prove, but it's good to see different mechanics coming into (or back into?) play. I really like that shapeshifting Werewolf as a role of its own: either be invisible to the dreamer or claim your kill but risk getting dreamt. Or, to further weaken a dreamer, allow the werewolves to choose which of them shapeshifts and performs a kill. In a situation like that, you could probably safely have two dreamers searching for them.

1 hour ago, Meta said:

So.... it all started on 2002, I started to play Neopets by 2000 - 2001. For a reason I can't remember, I ended in PPT and I started to study A LOT of neopets items and market stuff. I eventually fell in love for people's art and signature, and I decided to give it a try. Then neopets war happened and I spent hours studying the IDB database to optimize my pet. Eventually I met someone from the IDB staff (a british person who had the FC letters on his nickname, I forgot the name, he always had a Batle Duck icon) and from there I met more people on MSN, including Novachoek, Breelom, Lackadazed, Armi, Absolute_Zero and many more. Then PPT died and IDB had this forum, so I joined it and someone asked me to play with them, and I followed. I liked the game, so I stayed. By that time I used my mental condition to enjoy myself and provoke some chaos, the more unpredictable the better, but most of the time I always played the honest way, which made me win once as a OMT. I loved it.

Anyway, I stopped playing during 2006 - 2010, and when I returned I had to learn how to write again, so I used the few Werewolves games I had to practice, and I no longer have time, but I remember how I could spend my time checking for any reply during most nights just to answer it as fast as possible. That's how I work.

What were you studying with the items and market? Also, I don't suppose you had an experience like mine where you learned everything you know about economics from playing Neopets? (Okay, I didn't learn everything I know, but I definitely learned a lot more about supply and demand from Neo than I did from my Econ 101 class in college).

I think there are a couple of Werewolf games out there, but they might be chat-based rather than gameplay-based. There's also Trouble in Terrorist Town.

30 minutes ago, Exiled Phoenix said:

Is that why I've gotten two emails in the past couple days? 

Also, hi. 

Staying on topic, first game I played was WW 2 at IDB, where I was a werewolf and won. Both of those things were strong factors in why I played as much as I did; I doubt I would have gotten nearly as interested if I didn't have a team to talk to/actual powers. If my first game was a plain innocent role I might have ended up not really following through with it at all. After that, IDB to here. Hosted a bunch here, played a bunch too. I still have the plots and roles for several of the games I hosted kicking around on my hard drive. The rest got lost in one of the computer transfers since then. I still have the master list of the Paintball roles though. 

As for why I don't play anymore...it's hard to say. Some of it is just time of life. I was in high school when I was playing the most actively, and I had an abundance of free time. Now with work and grad school, the motivation doesn't seem to be there anymore. Some of it may be because I'm not on AIM or MSN anymore and that type of out of thread discussion and talks were a lot of the fun for me. And hosting, but the spark for that is definitely gone. 

I have played Avalon and One Night Werewolf a couple of times IRL since I fell in with a board gaming crowd. The mechanics are definitely still fun, but the forum based implementation of them just isn't the same I think. Maybe I lack patience. Maybe I just don't like to type things as much as I used to. Doesn't help that now when I talk to internet peoples I use Teamspeak 99% of the time, and talking is substantially quicker than typing. 

Anyway. I remembered I created a "Werewolf games" folder last time I sorted my documents. Looks like I've got a couple of ones. I have a prologue for something called Exiled Gods, but I can't remember if that was one of mine or if I was reading it for someone, since I can't find any other game documents. I do have a document with my game record though! It seemed important at the time.

Edit: Wait, I can't edit quotes? What? 

Exile! Yes, you've received two emails purely because I wanted to get in touch with you and not because I'm testing to see if bulk mail is working and to see who responds to emails. *Cough* (I think I expect to fall into a pattern of shooting out an email for every signups or so.)

You should be able to edit quotes. That's odd. Though getting used to the text editor here can be a bit of a pain...

I have dates on a few of those games, along with Khaled's notes. I lack anything past mid-October of '05, though.

March 20: Werewolf: Jungle research begins, hosted by Exile.
March 28: Werewolf: Jungle research ends. Werewolves win.
May 20: Werewolf: References begins, hosted by Exile.
May 30: Werewolf: References ends. Innocents win, when Khaled realises that notinuse was telling the truth after notinuse posted a totally psycho-angry post. It turns out that Matt had been converted and was a baddie. Matt still ended up winning; his 1/3 chance of getting the randomiser on his side was successful.
July 31: Werewolf: Ancient Evil begins, hosted by Exile.
August 7: Werewolf: Ancient Evil ends. Innocents win. Skunk and Liz are modkilled. The baddies have the worst run of luck ever seen in a WW game

What's Avalon?

Avalon is basically Werewolf where the roles are King Arthur-esque. Instead of wolves you have Mordred and Morgana, instead of a dreamer you have, like, Merlin and Percival who know who some of the baddies are but can't claim because the baddies get one last shot at the end of the game to win by correctly identifying who Merlin is, and things of that nature. It's fairly simplistic, but fun.

Hi, Exile. :)

2 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

It's the first time I can recall hearing about it, and I'm very intrigued. I also like that this is coming up at the same time that Rex is testing out Frequency: I'm not sure how similar or different the two will prove, but it's good to see different mechanics coming into (or back into?) play. I really like that shapeshifting Werewolf as a role of its own: either be invisible to the dreamer or claim your kill but risk getting dreamt. Or, to further weaken a dreamer, allow the werewolves to choose which of them shapeshifts and performs a kill. In a situation like that, you could probably safely have two dreamers searching for them.

Yeah, his sounds like it's playing on the same concept. The worldline game worked similarly in giving advantages and disadvantages to different states. Frequency sounds like it's going to be more dependent on external manipulation, while my idea of transformation would be solely dependent on the choices of the player with a transformation and when players interact. At the risk of giving away my ability to pretend it went perfectly on the first try in modeling, the wariness would affect how someone would react to a transformed power use. A rat might be able to steal cheese for dinner from an unwary cat, but a rat trying to steal cheese from a wary cat could become dinner (not a planned example).

On 8/31/2016 at 7:17 PM, Shattered Rift said:

It's cool that you've invested so much time playing Werewolf in real life. I'm curious, how many others is this true for? I've only played a handful of games in person (and only run another handful). How do you find that those games go? I assume the groups you play with are more casual than those here, but then again with that many games it could probably go either way.

*pops in with two cents*

Me. In fact, IRL Mafia was my introduction to the game.

I actually started out with Mafia in real life somewhere around 2000, where you pass around appropriately numbered playing cards seeded with Aces as the Mafia, a King as the Nightwatchman and the Queen as the Doctor. I've hosted a ton of games over the years since then and have honestly always preferred it to forum-play. There's something about not being able to PM other players and getting to read facial expressions and tells on the fly face-to-face that you don't get when you're sitting behind a computer screen able to think through your reply.

I did play Neopets when I was younger, but I didn't get quite as into it as I have heard people around here talk about. I was pretty casual. And as a result, I was never a part of any forum at all--I didn't do any online RP or anything until just recently actually--until I signed up for Sparkbomb circa 2011. So, I'm extremely new to this forum thing compared to most of the rest of you.

I don't exactly remember what year it was (somewhere between 2007 and 2010), but I had become friends with @Trajectory IRL in undergrad (I know we met in Freshmen year, Traj, but we didn't start hanging out until Junior year, right?) and knew him to be an avid forum-WW player, the intricacies of which I may not have known, but the concept itself exceedingly familiar.

In particular, I remember a couple of HIS games that he was playing at the time. I do remember the game he mentioned where he was the lone wolf after his teammates got killed off the first three nights in a row, and have actually gone myself and read a game or two at the Barrowdowns forum, always having intended to join up and play in a game, but never having done so. I also remember a WW game he played called The Bribe and was present the night everyone was in a video call/chat and the MC presented said bribe and then one of the players actually took it and left the game. I remember a game of his where he was...playing as a...was it an African American woman, Traj? Where you were typing in the accent online and everything? THOSE sort of games always interested me, because you were on a separate website playing as someone else with a different login name and people didn't know who was who and couldn't use "tells" against you quite as easily as they can if you've played with people for a while.

In any case, my first official forum game was the Allstars game that @Trajectory and (I believe it was) @Rexozord made, where there were two threads going on at the same time and the ones on Rex's thread were Phoenix personnel and the ones with Traj were a Werewolf Pack (with cool ghost cross-over occurring between threads). I found out from Traj later that the two of them fought over having me in their threads (I felt so loved) and Traj won because he pulled the BUT I KNOW HER IRL card heh. I looked it up (I have the role Traj gave me saved) and the date I received said role was Jul 20th, 2011, so I was off a bit on my guesses up there. I was the "Pack Thaumaturgist" with a delay and I believe that was the game where there were four roles on our side (correct me if this was a different game, Traj) that were the Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass werewolves? And they could activate powers by singing together at night? I always thought that flavor text was really cool at night when they would start howling together. Someone was a ghost that game from the Phoenix side and invaded our thread because they could post there for the day for some reason and I remember they RP'd it and it was super amusing.

The next game that I have to mention is the game Traj ran based in the White Wolves "Werewolves" universe that I think was called Return to Lunatic Heights where innocents could trigger a role activation for themselves (I believe it was by posting a lot during the day?) and they would become werewolves (the good guys in this case) with a power based on what phase of the moon the role popped (obvs phase changed each Night). I thought it was an awesome mechanic. My role popped during the full moon "Rahu, born from Luna the Destroyer" I think either the first or second night, which was basically a single shot vig night kill. I'm pretty sure this is the game where I found out that @Roxeon was ALSO Rahu, converted AFTER me, and is the originator for our "little brother/big sister" dynamic which I basically used any game after that which we were in together. You will always be little brother to me, Rox. ~<3

This resulted in fun little interactions between us via PM during several of @Blacjak's games, one where we were both minions of our General, the Shadow, @MrHeatherway aka Neph, and Blac had a fun little flavor at the end of the game of Rox and I walking off together "redeemed of our evil ways" as brother/sister. I believe that was the Project HoPE game where NPM was HoPE itself? Loved 'em. Little brother and I were also on the same team in Blac's game entitled...Chroma maybe? I was Lady Light and everyone else was like fragments changing each others' colors. I liked that Blac had people turning into Wights after they died (I enjoy seeing games with after-death participation). 

I guess Blac's games have been the most fun for me, because that seems to be what I remember the most of. By FAR my most favorite game ever was the one where he had us on like a quest going around and killing bosses and leveling up and you could stay in the inn for a night and avoid getting hit by lists. There was a ton of roleplay that happened between Blac and I during that game, part of which resulted in something along the lines of me going to the ninja fortress and having a mass exodus of the NPCs in the main town to said fortress so that they would be protected? I was a mage and it was amazing-fun to play in that one.

On 9/1/2016 at 6:01 PM, Meta said:

On 9/1/2016 at 7:15 PM, Shattered Rift said:

I think there are a couple of Werewolf games out there, but they might be chat-based rather than gameplay-based. There's also Trouble in Terrorist Town.

I have a friend that just recently started playing one, actually, but the name escapes me at the moment (aside from TTT).

Amusingly enough, I started playing on EpicMafia right around the time that I started playing on Sparkbomb, and got fairly well-known for being pretty good in the community that was playing there at the time. I remember a game there with a maneuver I've never managed to see replicated where there was either no protector or the protector died and everyone mass-claimed sheriff (with me being the actual sheriff and leading the charge) and each player of the game gave a night result every day of a random person with a random result (with me giving my true results), and then me getting killed off night three and people scrolling back up to see what my results were and the innocents successfully winning the game because I had outed the baddies during those mass-claim moments. I wish I had been able to save some of those rooms' dialogues because there was some pretty rocking stuff like that that happened.

As far as my own games go, I enjoyed my League of Legends themed game a lot because it let me flex my flavor-text writing skills. I also have to say that I had a ton of fun with the (much more recent) WW:Dreamers game where I implemented "creepy" songs and a time-shifting photo into the play. That kind of multi-media type play I would like to see more of, and am looking for a way to do such with the next game I have in the works.

On 9/1/2016 at 10:16 AM, Shattered Rift said:

*BURSTS INTO THE THREAD*

How did I space on both of these events when they're two of the only ones I remember from early IDB? I remember keeping you alive in that first game because I thought I could manipulate you (and I was doing so successfully) and odds are you weren't the dreamer so it was safe. Vengeance in that second game wasn't nearly so sweet, though. I had to claim Day 2 or 3 because I was going out of town for Spring Break and I just wanted to unite with my team before I died or something. ... did I publicly oust you as Dreamer while claiming Traitor? I must have. I wish I could remember. That... might very well count as the first true Rift Gambit.

I don't think you were actually manipulating me. I never let it slip I was dreamer and then got you killed. Don't remember if your teammate (I think it was Buzz?) won that game or not. :ph34r:

On 9/2/2016 at 10:29 PM, TheLastStarMaker said:

I don't exactly remember what year it was (somewhere between 2007 and 2010), but I had become friends with @Trajectory IRL in undergrad (I know we met in Freshmen year, Traj, but we didn't start hanging out until Junior year, right?) and knew him to be an avid forum-WW player, the intricacies of which I may not have known, but the concept itself exceedingly familiar.

In particular, I remember a couple of HIS games that he was playing at the time. I do remember the game he mentioned where he was the lone wolf after his teammates got killed off the first three nights in a row, and have actually gone myself and read a game or two at the Barrowdowns forum, always having intended to join up and play in a game, but never having done so. I also remember a WW game he played called The Bribe and was present the night everyone was in a video call/chat and the MC presented said bribe and then one of the players actually took it and left the game. I remember a game of his where he was...playing as a...was it an African American woman, Traj? Where you were typing in the accent online and everything? THOSE sort of games always interested me, because you were on a separate website playing as someone else with a different login name and people didn't know who was who and couldn't use "tells" against you quite as easily as they can if you've played with people for a while.

We started hanging out after the video game contest sophomore year, didn't we?

That lone-wolf game on BD was Alice in Wonderland-themed, and I was the Knave of Hearts. One of my best performances ever - ended up having to lynch my three teammates one right after the other Days 1, 2, and 3, ended up a lone wolf, started killing gifteds by myself, hit the Cursed Night 5, promptly lynched him off as well, went on to win. A bit ruthless, but ultimately successful.

As far as things like Spies 8: The Bribe go, the guy that hosted them has since retired from hosting, but I still have a lot of friends that I met doing those. Star's right - those were hosted on a different Proboards forum every time, and every player was under a full alias the entire game. Specifically in The Bribe, for example, I was a twentysomething gay Lothario-type player named Chance (there was a leaderboard on the main page with pictures - I was pretty studly if I do say so myself ;)). While in the other game (hosted by a different guy, so it was sort of a copycat, but the games were so fun no one wanted to see the main guy retire, so we just kinda... kept playing without him?) I was a fiftysomething Jamaican woman named Sincerity LaRoux. I was the Traitor role, and was promptly lynched in a blindside during the second lynch of the game. I was fairly salty about that for a few days, but one of my Spies friends who lived in San Diego at the time was driving cross-country to Boston during the game and he came and stayed with me on his way through Oklahoma and played a bit of the game from my apartment, so that was fun to watch. I love alias games, they're so fun.