Sign in to follow this  
Shattered Rift

A Dozen Years of Sparkbomb Goodness

Happy Anniversary, everyone~!

Every third year on Sparkbomb tends to be a quieter year. We upgraded the forum software in December, I enjoyed a summer of travel and getting to meet more Sparkbombers (Puck, Voce, and Pocket), and I finally added my name to the list of All-Stars MC's. Recent life circumstances have also presented the opportunity to focus more on Sparkbomb than I'd been able to while working this past year, and as is common for my anniversary announcements, I've got something in the works. I'd been hoping to unveil an alpha run by today, but it's going to be delayed just a while longer.

In the meanwhile, I'd like us all to reflect on our most memorable moments meandering 'midst the Mansion's members. I'm quite proud to say that I've now met eleven Sparkbombers in person. So I'd like to reflect on a few of those memories...

Liz, Killerk239, Nell, and Natale: I'm going to include the whole NYC crew together. We spent a pretty awesome day together on Columbia's campus. Liz was always good company, Nell was super chill, Keith (Killerk) played through the entirety of Portal while we hung out (it was my first time seeing Portal), Natale was an excellent hostess, and there's a good number of semi-embarrassing pictures still up on my Facebook to this day.

Coaster: I drove up to Seattle to meet Marcus while he was interviewing for Microsoft. We ate at an awesome pizza place by the Space Needle that I remember to this day, and we spent a fair chunk of our Sparkcast episode sidetracked talking about Smallville.

Nebiros and Rex: There were a lot of memories with these two, so I have to share two of them. Sam and I were sitting on the couch adjacent to the couch Rex was sleeping on, and I forget what we were talking about. All of a sudden Rex sits up, says "Vanity's activate, yay," and falls back down in sleep. Sam and I just stared at each other in disbelief and laughter.

A large group of us (including some local Sparkbombs/friends) drove up to Tacoma for a major Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament. We had a pretty sweet split-level hotel room. Nebiros claimed the king-sized bed on the second floor while Rex and I took the downstairs queen and the others took a combination of couches and floor.

Humming: So the night Erica's flight got in, we headed back to Zen's place. Erica's a pretty reserved person, but Zen and I tend to be pretty chill in person, so everything was pretty relaxed. Within maybe a half hour, one of Zen's former female roommates, her friend, and the guy the two of them picked up at the bar all stop by unexpectedly. Viewing Erica in the stereotypical way that only drunk white people can, they tried to do what they could to make her feel comfortable. Erica was both exposed to and survived the craziness of Portland on her first night here.

Puck: There wasn't much time to make memories since Stef and I just met up for breakfast and good conversation, but thinking about her reminds me of all the shenanigans with Title Zappers, how much fun Sparkbomb Hour was, and all of the connections and fun everyone was having together during '09/'10/.

Voce: My very first thought when I think of Voce is how she's simultaneously one of the most distractable people in the world while simultaneously being incredibly driven and motivated. This is the kind of thing that doesn't really shine through when someone plays Werewolf online, and it's a reminder of just how deep anyone on Sparkbomb could potentially be.

Pocket: Hanging out with Pocket was a nostalgia trip. We stopped by a cool costume store in Colorado Springs, and we spent a lot of time talking about writing and role playing. Even though we didn't participate in the same communities, the experience is somewhat universal. It was a reminder that so many other people were going through essentially the same things I did years ago.

I'd like to hear some of your memories during these past twelve years.

Whats the difference between the mansion's members and sparkbomb members? My best memories would probably be amassing large numbers of weapons and using it on an unexpected individuals to see their reaction or dismay. I would say I was more of the evil guy or the aggressor which was fun. But it wasn't all evil-doing, I helped bring people together to help the unfortunate person that got negged by my bad self.  I liked throwing those Frisbee too. I sure was good at catching them. These sub-actions allowed me to be a community person. I think I was in a neutral alliance, and participated in whichever side felt right. I believe the Spectres had a grand alliance, and some of those guys helped me out. The phoenixes however were a pain, which may have consisted of mostly moderators. Moderators were a force to contend with and it appeared that they were secretly planning to enforce a sense of justice on the Sparkbomb community. Of course, I was against this and stepped up when everyone feared for their Sparks. I believe I did the most damage to these enforcers. 

I distinctly remember hitting Khaled for giving me multiple warning on harmless gifs I put in my siggy. It was a gif of a 3d girl dancing from DDR video game, dancing around my name, fully dressed of course. Khaled, with his dignified righteousness enforced his idea of appropriate dancing by removing this and shooting me, along with Moderator warnings. Things heated up, and we battled it out until I was out of stock. I eventually let go of my Siggy and planned secret attacks on his restock times which had no effect.

Another experience was putting Liz in extreme negatives, in which she threatened to hurt me in real life.I remember breaking her fused sparks at a time she was away on vacation. I was then punished by her allegiance with the Moderators, and things turned out for the worse for me as I had no real allies and had to creep out of negs after half a year or more.They all helped her restore her stockpile with open arms. How incredibly nice of them was what I thought while I was plotting my next attack to destroy all of them.

Zen and Dark was probably the closest allies I had, even though I would not call them allies. Of course they wouldn't want to associate with a terrorist... I wanted to trust them, but they had immense greed. Spectres were plagued with Stockpiling. Matter of fact, this was the case for all usergroups because there was no real reward for using weapons. I was the anomaly in this system but we had some things in commmon. We weren't part of some elite task force, we were just dudes using the store. I later lent Zen a Pyro Stick, in which he would eventually trade off. At one point he got two sticks, and he never gave me it back ever again. Curse you Zen and all your partners in these despicable dark dealings.

A-anyways, I also made art and got rewarded. I realized this ticked people off, especially Clucky - but I thought it was fun at the time. All of this faded away as the Spark Game faded away. 

Then I found myself making other forms of art, which had a short life-span and eventually also faded away or maybe I stepped away? since I think Sparkbomb's community is not visual/art oriented at the time and due to above. 

I took my shot at writing and joined a lot of role plays, which was also fun. But found out the laws of RPs and limitations in writing in a RP much later. The hosts would give up a lot too. RPs I was in: Pet's Pokemon roleplay - I died because of an event that froze the landscape by spreading and would eventually freeze me. I made my death realistic by talking about being decapitated when my frozen body fell to the ground due to gravity... that might've turned people off. It was fun at the time... but now I get it. I also joined the My Little Pony RP - By Hoshi or was it someone else? My character was Surprise! I believe I'm exceptional at making silly scenarios which I think I got from anime/manga. The girls weren't interested though... It was more of a dress-up battle, caring atmosphere for that RP. 

I went on to make werewolf games which I only happen to make when Sparkbomb activity was extremely low. Writing the plot for Wolfheart was fun. Running it...ehh. I took it upon myself to create a new standard for Werewolf games, if this doesn't sound so concieted... but I had sure feelings that the state of the game is, the games are random and pointless, much to the point where I had no interest in playing. It felt like an over rated RP, where the MC decides how the story goes and even the outcome of the game. The constant rebalancing during the game, the randomized dice roll that determined the win, the Insider's advantage of playing and hosting... I wanted the game more transparent. I introduced simple rules, game logs, and proper knowledge of the game structure and roles from the start of the game. Then leave the game to the machines and the players, with little intervention from the MC. All of this didn't make any sense, because werewolf isn't such a game. It's not coded, it's not a machine, it's a story driven game, social game. If the mood is right, then it's a good game. With that, I don't think I can change werewolf, so it's something I let go, but don't mind participating every now and then. The past is the past, and who knows how new games are played.

I understand what Sparkbomb values are, and that's what the community values. Right now, we've all grown up, have less time, etc. Maybe there's more important things that are happening and old times are forgotten. I've always liked to capture the feeling I had when I was on Sparkbomb back then, and retain a consistent identity, if you know what I mean. But I don't think re-creating this feeling means much, because the community, I feel, has changed, so I look forward to anything new or in the works. 

Edited by Bed

16 hours ago, Bed said:

Whats the difference between the mansion's members and sparkbomb members?

Nothing. I just decided to go insane have fun with alliteration.

I'd forgotten how much of an aggressor you were back in the day. And the incident with you loaning the Pyro Stick to Zen. And you attacking Liz while she was on vacation.

Clucky was bothered by you getting items for artwork? I don't remember that at all.

I still remember Wolfheart. It was an HP game, right? Your artwork definitely made it memorable. I'm surprised that you haven't offered to make banners for the occasional game or somesuch. And isn't everyone you made a chibi for still using it in their signature? Or did a few get lost when I updated the forum in December? (I remember Cel having to find a copy of hers again.)

8 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

And isn't everyone you made a chibi for still using it in their signature?

I am :3 I also had it as my fb profile pic for a while too.

16 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

Clucky was bothered by you getting items for artwork? I don't remember that at all.

I think it was mostly you not releasing items because the artwork is not done, and this may have put some strain on some heated discussion - that nobody cares about artwork. Then Pyro Stick. Then a push for stick figures artwork instead. Probably not a good idea to go into detail.

I still remember Wolfheart. It was an HP game, right? Your artwork definitely made it memorable. I'm surprised that you haven't offered to make banners for the occasional game or somesuch. 

Yes, it was an HP game. I was surprised at the logo. I can actually see it as something sell-able or something, which is odd. I think the All-Stars game was afterwards and I offered my full service to Neopetsmom. Partly because I think she is awesome. It was fun working with her too. I really wanted to make the game top-notch and to advertise the quality and how much work will be placed in the game. That way, I thought maybe people will stick around seeing the potential or at lease get people to take it more seriously. 

If you can rack up another 50+ player game and I'm not too busy, maybe I can help out. I can't do occasional games since it would be quicker and lower quality artwork. I want to make stuff I can be proud of, I think. You can ask me a month or two in advance (but don't abuse me T-T), since I like being asked more than offering. 

And isn't everyone you made a chibi for still using it in their signature? Or did a few get lost when I updated the forum in December? (I remember Cel having to find a copy of hers again.)

For the 2nd generation Chibis, I think everyone is using it. Haven't seen Kirby around. 

8 hours ago, TheLastStarMaker said:

I am :3 I also had it as my fb profile pic for a while too.

Yay. I think your's is the most technical one, since I had to make the chibi blink and the pet float without pausing at the same time, while completing a loop.

Edited by Bed

On 9/16/2016 at 7:34 PM, Bed said:

Yay. I think your's is the most technical one, since I had to make the chibi blink and the pet float without pausing at the same time, while completing a loop.

It's super awesome and I adore it. I think that's the one you streamed making, at least for a while? I totally watched. It was cool to get to see it come together ^_^

On 3/25/2017 at 5:00 AM, Jonny9 said:

Khaled and I met in person in Montreal in 2007, I think. He coached me through asking someone out for the first time.

I remembered that you guys were able to meet up, but I'd never heard that part of the story. Props to Khaled.