InuyashaOhki

Werewolf Signups - Inu's Lab

82 posts in this topic

MUAHAHAHA! It's ALIVE! Oh, wait...nope, it's dead...

It's time for what I'm sure a few of you have been dreading. A visit to my lab. But you don't have to worry about me in this game, I'm already dead. :o

The late scientist InuyashaOhki developed revolutionary technologies that power the transportation systems of the world and affordable space travel, but in his later years, he pushed the envelope a little further than society wanted. He proposed devices that would alter the human form in fantastic ways. While many were intrigued, too many others were horrified at the prospect of such a pandora's box being opened. Even those who knew it was really a mistranslation of pandora's jar. He went into seclusion, where it was rumored that he secretly developed this technology in a secret compound somewhere, secretly. Everywhere on Earth that there were reported sightings of him was checked, to no avail. When enough time had passed that he must have died, the rumors faded into legend, and were more or less dismissed.

Many years later, an asteroid was detected with high enough metal content that it couldn't possibly be natural. It wasn't registered, though, meaning it had to be from the early days of space travel. Your crew arrives at the asteroid and discovers there is only one way in - a matter transporter on the asteroid itself which is controlled by a computer. It prompts "Do you wish to come in?" on each console on the ship. Sign up to join those exploring on your console below.

This game will explore transformation mechanics. It's not the first to do so, but it's my favorite genre, so I'm running a game with it. This will also use room mechanics, which it's also not the first to do. It might be the first to do both, though that's not really important. What's important is that there is a NEW mechanic - wariness. 

In my test modeling, normal game strategies still worked - you're still looking for an unspecified number of villains hiding in your midst, using mostly normal powers to deduce, and with a few red herrings thrown in to limit your reliance on info roles. The new facets of this are all about choosing when it's beneficial to use a power.

Wariness: Every player will have a wariness status that they can toggle from 0 to 100. If you have a wariness status of 50, you have a 50% chance of messing up your power use, but you also have a 50% chance of catching anyone using a power on your room. In human form, your wariness is locked at 50, meaning you have a 50% chance of catching visitors. "What does it mean to catch someone?" - You will see them in their transformed state. This will have different possible outcomes. If they are a vulnerable form, you might physically catch them like that. If they are a scary wolf, you will be able to run away unharmed. Some forms may have modifiers that make it harder or easier to catch them, with greater or lesser consequences (hard to catch, but dead if caught, for example). Set wariness to 0 if you want to be sure your power succeeds - If you're the wolf with wariness of 0, your target will die (barring protection or 100% wariness), but you won't catch anyone snooping around your room. If it helps to contextualize it, think of it as how focused you are on getting back to your room before anyone messes with your stuff. In the event of 100% wariness against a 0% attack, the result will be decided by randomizer.

Transformation: You will almost all be plain innocents/plain villains (in human form). But fortunately, you will find technology and quarters on board the asteroid station that you can use to your advantage. The game will have Day/Night phases like normal games, controlled by the automated lighting systems onboard in a 24 hour cycle, though it will remain in Day mode for 48 hours when you first arrive to give people time to acclimate to the new environment. Transformations will begin the night phase after votes are processed, and you will stay in the form you choose until the transformation processing of the next night phase. There WILL be posting requirements for those transformed, and they will hint at forms. Since NPM's game had a similar transformation that worked the opposite way, I want to make this point clear - being in the transformed state during the day phase is an after-effect of using your power on the preceding night. You don't have to plan ahead what species you'll want to be for the following day, you just have to deal with the morning consequences of going out partying late at night and getting shrunk.

Rooms: You will target other player's rooms, not the players themselves (you're still submitting a list of player names). A "dreamer" will actually be snooping around the room of other players. A watcher will watch the door to see who goes in. A tracker will follow the target from their room to whatever other rooms they visit and be told of the rooms. Some powers will affect a room, impacting anyone whose power actually sends them into the room as well as the person whose room it is.

Execution: Those executed will be placed in suspended animation along with those that die by ordinary means. This will be by plurality vote. The group has agreed not to take anyone out of suspended animation, making them effectively dead...unless someone with the right medical skills breaks that agreement.

Death and Antideath: If you die or are executed, standard rules apply - no talking in the main thread, no communication with other players, no sharing of private info with anyone, but you can heckle or speculate from the signup thread. There is a possibility of being rezzed if the right powers make it into the game, but it will be transformation themed and probably inconvenient (death usually is). There will be rez protection this game: Those rezzed will NOT be able to be killed the same night they are rezzed, but they can be targeted with other powers (this refers to putting a dead player on your list in anticipation of them being rezzed). Upon death, the player's room will be inspected to learn what device was in it and what it was programmed to do.

Private Messages: Private messages will not be permitted in this game except through in-game powers.

Posting Requirements: You are required to vote daily. Failure to do this will enable me to seek replacement or modkill, at my discretion. Posts will be in black text unless your role specifies otherwise. You are required to follow your posting requirements for your role. First failure to meet posting requirements will result in a private warning and suggestion that you use the edit button. Second failure will result in the same warning and suggestion in public. Third failure will result in me telling everyone what your posting requirement is in the same terms I told you in your role. Past that I'll tell everyone about your father smelling of elderberry and your mother being a hamster. I reserve the right to reduce penalties or mock you in other ways that may or may not reference British comedy. Your posting requirement will often give some rather obvious hints to your species, so if you want to scamper about, chew on wiring, bark at trees, or whatever else as role play, go for it.

Sudden Death Mode: The game will end absolutely no later than October 3. There are mechanics that, in test modeling, allowed statistically improbable randomizer results coupled with creative virtual player choices to delay the game. I will implement Sudden Death Mode (removing rezzes, protections, etc.) on October 1 to ensure it ends by October 3.

Processing Order:

1. Day ends, votes are tallied, and vote action is processed.

2. Transformations are processed.

3. Resurrection

4. List Manipulation

5. Jailing

6. Protection

7. Protection-Breaking

8. Dream-Breaking

9. OMT Attacks (villain or neutral)

10. 2MT Attacks

11. 3MT Attacks

12. Vigilante Attacks (any attack by an innocent party)

13. Actions which do not affect other powers (Info roles, Pyro placement, Poisoning, Transmitting messages, etc.)

14. Disable transformation (unlike a normal disable, this locks the target in whatever form they currently are in for the following night).

I've got shifting power arrangements to handle a reasonable variation in number of players. I need to get at least 10 and will try for 15, but more is better. Game begins Thursday with an 11PM Central deadline for everything. You will receive your role info as soon as possible after 11pm on Thursday, with Saturday being the end of the first day.

Signups:

1. Sinical

2. KillerK

3. Blacjak

4. Red

5. Celariel

6. Weee

7. Trajectory

8. NeopetsMom

9. Zilary

10. Exiled Phoenix

11. Smiletrue

12. Rexozord

13. theZodiac

14. mccraabi

15. Voce Angeli

16. lion wiggles

17. Nobody Mouse

Spirits volunteering possess anyone who dares go inactive:

1. Shattered Rift

Edited by InuyashaOhki

I'm in. With a caveat and a question. First the caveat: I am moving on Saturday, so I may have interrupted internet access to the degree of being completely awol that day. Question: is this going to be too complicated for a new player? A bit of crazy is fun for someone new and clever, but this appears to be a degree beyond that.

9 hours ago, Celairiel said:

I'm in. With a caveat and a question. First the caveat: I am moving on Saturday, so I may have interrupted internet access to the degree of being completely awol that day. Question: is this going to be too complicated for a new player? A bit of crazy is fun for someone new and clever, but this appears to be a degree beyond that.

Regarding the caveat - just make sure to put in your power use and vote early. You can change them at any time, so it won't hurt to put them in Friday so you don't miss the Saturday deadline. 

Regarding new players - On top of what you do in regular games, you have to remember a posting requirement, decide whether to set your wariness defensively or offensively, and decide if you want to use your power badly enough to give hints of what species you are the next day. A new player who doesn't mind making several decisions should be able to manage, but someone nervous about the game would be at a disadvantage. Test modeling suggests fortune does indeed favor the bold.

Celairiel likes this

Okay, and I see that Celairiel asked about the new player game.  This is my first game, but I am excited to give it a try, please count me in :)

Happy to see new (and old) faces showing up. I'll play as well.

Inu, I have a question that relates to resurrection and night processing. You made it clear that some roles can target a dead player (or their room, as the case may be) in anticipation of their resurrection. Looking at how early resurrection occurs on the priority list, is the reverse also possible (dead players submitting lists in anticipation of their resurrection)?

1 hour ago, Rexozord said:

Inu, I have a question that relates to resurrection and night processing. You made it clear that some roles can target a dead player (or their room, as the case may be) in anticipation of their resurrection. Looking at how early resurrection occurs on the priority list, is the reverse also possible (dead players submitting lists in anticipation of their resurrection)?

I'm glad you asked. Normally I allow it when people ask, since I've not said they couldn't. In this case, you asked before the game started, so I can say: Nope. :D 

EDIT: I think most people here already know this, but make sure you ask me any questions rather than just wondering. I'm happy to answer what I can, and clarify on the mechanics. This game has restricted private messages, so I'm the only one you can ask how something works.

Edited by InuyashaOhki

That puts us at my goal of 15. The roles I was most hoping to include are now all included. That said, signups are still open if anyone still wants to join.

EDIT: The question has been asked if the villains will be able to talk privately - The villain teams will communicate through the MC in a group chat. From this, you can probably deduce that there are no 4MT in this game design.

Edited by InuyashaOhki

5 hours ago, InuyashaOhki said:

The question has been asked if the villains will be able to talk privately - The villain teams will communicate through the MC in a group chat. From this, you can probably deduce that there are no 4MT in this game design.

Are normal users not allowed to start a group PM of 5 members? I thought that was what I had it set at.

Edit: Yeah, unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant, confirmed that normal members can start a PM with four other members.

Edited by Shattered Rift