Sign in to follow this  
Shattered Rift

Yu-Gi-Oh! - Guild-style

The world flickered, and four years passed by in a heartbeat. Only two of the four present were aware of the change, cognizant of how much time had passed in the real world. On the Sparkbomb Mansion's rooftop—or rather, the illusion of the Mansion's rooftop created by the Role Playing Forum—everything was just as it had been four years prior when Shattered Rift and Nebiros had let their role play fall into inactivity.

Rift glanced at Ryuenjin, whose gaze was on Nebiros and Sayuri as they discussed the new Summoning methods. Xyz summoning was still new at the time, anyway, he reminded himself silently. Ryuenjin gave no sign of noticing the time change. All four still stood in the arena, which still had the burn marks from Sayuri's battle and subsequent pillar of fire. The rooftop expanded outward in its oval. I'd forgotten that this version of the Mansion didn't have the towers. The rooftops of the two auxiliary buildings were just visible over the lip of the platform extending ever-outward. Past that, shrouded by their inattention, a vague treeline dotted the horizon. For a moment, Rift let himself be distracted by the possibilities.

Laco's deck it is,” Ryuenjin said absentmindedly, snapping Rift's attention back into the present. Of course. Ryuenjin's thoughts were still focused on the impending duel where he'd be outmatched. Outmatched if Sayuri could pick up Nebiros' Dragunity deck quickly enough. He withdrew the gold-sleeved deck from the double deck box, skimming through its contents before returning the box to his jacket pocket. More loudly, he added, “I'm ready whenever you are.”

Blinking once, twice, three times, Nebiros immediately tripped over her words and then chose to pause in what had been her crash-course on the… new? No. Old monsters, as the play button had apparently been hit on the Mansion's universe. She looked around, taking in the entirety of the arena, the damage to the arena, and what could be seen of the surrounding area. Truly nothing had changed. Business as usual with old Guild-pausing-shenanigans.

A rather confused expression, blinking red eyes and a hand wave filled Nebiros’ immediate line-of-sight as Sayuri tried to regain Nebiros’ attention.

Uhm… Hello? Earth to Nebiros...?”

“… hey. Don’t uh. Don’t mind me. Um. Yeah. Dragunity, heart of the cards, stuff and junk! You’ll do fine!” Nebiros said with a large smile, patting Sayuri on the shoulder. Said pat containing not a single ounce of confidence in it. Sayuri frowned and her eyes narrowed as she recognized something was up, although she didn't want to bother questioning it. Meanwhile, Nebiros wouldn’t openly admit it, especially now as nothing was supposed to have changed, but she had completely forgotten how to even play Dragunities. She had angrily left the game years ago immediately following Dragon Ravine landing itself on the Forbidden list. How. Dare. They.

Sayuri was completely on her own for this one. Hopefully, for her own sake, she’d catch on. Honestly, no matter how she did, if she got out Leyvaten, hearing the dragon’s roar echo across the Mansion’s grounds would be satisfying enough for everybody. “Alright, okay. Just a trial by fire. No big deal." Turning on the spot and facing Ryuenjin, Sayuri took a breath and gave a quick, determined nod to her opponent. "I'm good. LET’S DO THIS!” she exclaimed, excitedly shuffling what was now, as far as Nebiros cared, entirely her deck.

Nebiros made her way back to the sidelines, flopped herself down in a seat, and turned her attention to Rift. “So, uh. I vote we just let them whip cards at each other, sans our input.”

“Sans our input?” Rift said, crestfallen. “I was planning on having us go off on our own for a bit so I could show you something, which could put off the duel for a little while as far as we're concerned.” He gave a glance to the two characters he had known longest. The alternative would allow for specific circumstances to be set up.

Do you want to take a minute to read through those cards?” Ryuenjin asked, wanting the time as much for himself to look through Laco's deck. His memory felt dull, dimmer than it should after only a few years. Did four years of Rift's time make that much of a difference? Or had his creator distanced his memories from the deck intentionally to make the duel fairer? No, Rift wasn't like that. Nebiros understood how to play her deck, so Sayuri would too. Every one of Laco's cards was familiar. Every card belonged. And yet... Ryuenjin shot an accusing glance at Rift.

“We've got some things to work on elsewhere in the Mansion,” Rift said. The implication was intentional. Let Ryuenjin and Sayuri suppose that he meant outside of the Role Playing Forum.