Blacjak

Gunslingers- Signups

40 posts in this topic

On a cold and dreary night much like this one, caravans and cowboys would each sit around the campfire. They would pass the time spinning tall tales and weaving wonders that put the warmth back in your bones, or left you shivering in your boots. There is a story that is often told on such a night. Some believe it to be true, others a myth, but most know it well. Lend me your ear tonight, if you dare, and I will impart to you these fabled words of the west.

The Ghostyard Gallows. It's a haunting name for sure, and fitting of the tragedy that befell it's victims. Wanderers often speak of passing through such a place. Some say it's a mound of earth littered with carrion crawlers writhing about in the moonlight, others a mining town reduced to ash and dust. Believe what you like, but it didn't used to always be this way. You see, not far from here the Raven Rock Riders gang used to control much of the territory. They were a civilized bunch and worked together much like an ordinary community. After years of ravaging the countryside, they settled down in a small town lost to history and largely reformed their ways. Even appointed a their own Sheriff to take care of things!

Now things went well like this for a bit, but see, some of the men got restless and took to exploring Raven Rock on their own. Now you might think that they were never heard from again, but I promise you that would have been a blessing. These ruffians found something alright, and they brought it back to the tavern to celebrate their luck. What did they find you ask? Why a whole trunk full of gold. Each item was painstakingly crafted with the most detailed of designs. They didn't know it then, but each piece was equally as deadly as they were beautiful.

In the morning they awoke to the Timekeeper calling for High Noon. Unsurprisingly they had slept the day away, or so it had seemed. For as the hours passed, the day grew hotter. And just like the broken clock in the square, the sun did not move. The gold, now shimmering in the heat, was more dazzling than ever. The Sheriff heard wind of this and confronted the town. No one really knew who was responsible, the gold had already been passed around to every drunken fool in that tavern, hell, the whole town. It wasn't said outright, but they all knew a terrible curse had befallen them. It was then decided that the spoils should be gathered up and taken back where they came from. However, when the posse tried to leave, they found themselves riding back into town from the other side. They were trapped.

Voices were raised and blood boiled higher in the heat than ever, but the Sheriff tried to keep the peace. He suggested that they speak with the Shaman, he was bound to know what to do about the curse. When the Sheriff found the man in question, he was deep in mediation. Ordinarily, the townsfolk didn't have much respect for the Shaman, but considering the circumstances, the Sheriff tried to be polite and wait. With a gasp, the eyes of the Shaman flew open in terror.

"What have you done?!"

The wiry man quickly stood and grabbed his staff, rushing outside into the glaring sun. Naturally, the town had been waiting outside with baited breath and stood nervously, their palms itching and their brows covered in sweat.

"You have defiled the ancestors and have incurred their wrath! None shall survive if they are not appeased through a sacrifice in blood. You must find those responsible for this deed and punish them before we are all doomed to die under their fire!"

In a panic, everyone drew their sidearms and started shouting accusations.

It's High Noon.

Rules:

1. Private Communication is not allowed, with the exception of PMs started by myself. This is very important for balance due to the inclusion of a public role.

2. High Noon occurs between Midnight and 5am EST. The Timekeeper will announce when the next High Noon is, but the time will vary between High Noons due to the stationary sun making timekeeping difficult. High Noon is equivalent to a standard deadline. Please do not edit posts after deadline as this will interfere with results.

3. All Players have a small amount of HP each, a Gun, and a Bullet. The Sheriff is confirmed innocent, and starts with an additional Vest as well as the Ability to Deputize Players, granting them a Bullet.

4. You may Shoot another player by posting BANG! In bold on thread while telling me your target privately. At High Noon, all Players Shot will be revealed in a random order. Players Shot lose 1 HP in the order that they are Shot, so Shooting first does matter. You may Shoot as many times as you have Bullets, but may only BANG! once per post. There may be Abilities with exceptions to this rule.

5. May publicly Challenge another player to a Duel at least 12 hours before results. Challenges less than 12 hours before the upcoming High Noon will count for the next High Noon. That player must publicly Accept before the applicable High Noon is posted or they will be assumed to have Fled. A player who Flees will drop all Items and be prevented from using Abilities during High Noon. During the Duel, both Players will Shoot all their Bullets regardless of HP. If both Players are capable of killing the other, the Duel will be resolved by coin flip. You cannot Challenge a Player who has already issued or been issued a Challenge that cycle.

6. There are two forms of currency in this game. Fame and Fortune. Earn 1 Fame for each non-spam post, up to 5 per High Noon. Earn 5 Fortune for each active Ability use. Abilities may only be used once per High Noon. There may be other methods of earning currency dependent on your role.

7. Spend 3 Fame to use an Ability. Spend 10 Fortune to buy a Bullet. Spend 15 Fortune buy a Vest which Blocks one Bullet. To purchase an item, you must PM me before the end of the cycle with what you wish to buy. There may be other methods of acquiring Items dependent on your role. I may add more Items at base, but I'd rather keep it simple as the game is already complex.

8. Each cycle you may give a single Item to another Player.

9. If you die, you are condemned to the Ghostly Gallows and must post in gray italics, including ghastly sounds. ooOoooOOoooo! If you were killed outside of a Duel, you gain one Revenge Bullet that you must use that cycle and can only affect the Player who killed you, which is not revealed. To Shoot a Revenge Bullet you must post, PEW! PEW! [Player] I Shoot you! So as such, your target is public unlike typical gunfire.

10. Everything will be processed at once, the order is as follows:

1. Earning Fame
  2. Buying Items
  3. Gifting Items
  4. Duels
  5. Abilities
  6. Shots- In order by Post
  7. Earning Fortune

When you receive your results, first I will post the outcome of any Duels, then in a random order, the Players who lost HP, and announce the dead. Each Player will then be sent a PM containing their total Fame, Fortune, HP, Items, and Ability outcomes.

When you sign up, send me a PM if you would like to apply to be the Sheriff or one of the Ruffians. You may apply for both, and these Roles will be chosen from the list of applicants. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them now. Numbers are subject to balance change, specifically HP, due to the variable number of Players.

Players:

1. Sinical

2. Inu

3. Cel

4. Traj

5. Rex

6. Rift

7. Rock

8. Lion

9. Zilary

Edited by Blacjak

First.

Edit: This game looks like the optimal strategy is to shoot somebody right before deadline cutoff so you can avoid revenge bullets. Would it be possible to introduce something to mitigate that?

Edited by Sinical

5 hours ago, Sinical said:

First.

Edit: This game looks like the optimal strategy is to shoot somebody right before deadline cutoff so you can avoid revenge bullets. Would it be possible to introduce something to mitigate that?

Incorrect. Death doesn't occur until deadline so you will always have a full cycle to use the Revenge Bullet. A Player would not know for certain that they are dead until this time. Additionally, you may want to be Shooting others before they Shoot you. If there's not enough players, I will be removing the Revenge Bullet.

There is also the option of Challenging the Player to a Duel instead which has different advantages and disadvantages than a regular shot. Such as, avoiding that Player getting a Revenge Bullet on you if you kill them, and proving your intent to target someone which may garnish support in the form of Items from other Players. But at the cost of losing HP or death.

Edited by Blacjak

I'll close signups on Saturday I think, so it'll start early Sunday morning. Maybe Saturday depending on work.

Edited by Blacjak
InuyashaOhki likes this

Blacjak has obviously been caught by the Ruffians. I suspect it's the doing of this so-called "Roland", alias "RocktheFox". He thinks he can outfox us.

Blacjak and Celairiel like this

Is it too late for me to throw my name into the ring? I wasn't sure when the game was to start, but I believe I am able to free up some time to play. If not, put me down as an alternate.

You can play, I'll start after I get off work. I ended up being really busy the past two days.

Calling it now: Sinical's an OMT, not innocent. Yes, I realize the rules say otherwise. My prediction stands.

I also think it's hilarious that I pitched a hissy fit last game about the vast majority of players here being far more willing to suspect active players than players who aren't contributing at all...and this game starts off with Rex and RocktheFox suspecting Inu for being active.

Blacjak likes this

On 10/27/2016 at 3:54 AM, weee5067 said:

Calling it now: Sinical's an OMT, not innocent. Yes, I realize the rules say otherwise. My prediction stands.

I also think it's hilarious that I pitched a hissy fit last game about the vast majority of players here being far more willing to suspect active players than players who aren't contributing at all...and this game starts off with Rex and RocktheFox suspecting Inu for being active.

Well, I thought Rex was just responding to Inu - Maybe he thought Inu was suspicious but we don't know what he thinks about Inactives - maybes they are more suspicious? IMO, Inu's just exerting his great analytical skills. He was just like that when I was playing with him, outing me, his dear team mate for even "simple" flack. Seems normal.

Agree with Rift on his opinion of the mechanic and how it relates to activity.

IMO, promoting activity by making players more powerful the more they post also has an opposite side effect that negatively impacts the goal of promoting activity. As I said in the Enforcing Activity thread, the meta can depend on how threatening a player appears to be. A reason why inactives were less likely to be voted out first is because they don't appear as threatening as people that can lead or respond to strong arguments/discussion. This mechanic makes these type of players more stronger. Sadly, players that appear strong are prone to death. Either from the hands of baddies or majority. 

If there was a way to make inactive "appear" more threatening early on, they would likely get voted out very early.

This is Bed's Mechanics II - A certain amount of player(s) with the least/or 'low' amount of posts will initiate an ability that can target players, including themselves during certain intervals of the game. This ability can negatively impact the targeted player's chances of winning the game. 
Examples of abilities:

• Randomly target any player (including oneself).
  • If inactive is killed late, chance of bomb when finally dead

Edited by Bed

I don't think this is the case at all. Players who are not active will not be able to kill active players who can also buy defenses that make it harder to kill them. Everyone should try to be active. it is idiotic to kill a player for doing what is Expected of them. If you aren't active, you aren't playing to win.

Bed and InuyashaOhki like this

On 10/28/2016 at 5:37 PM, Blacjak said:

I don't think this is the case at all. Players who are not active will not be able to kill active players who can also buy defenses that make it harder to kill them. Everyone should try to be active. it is idiotic to kill a player for doing what is Expected of them. If you aren't active, you aren't playing to win.

I don't think there's an issue with this mechanic (or other activity-rewarding mechanics). There's an issue with the players who would prefer to kill active players than be active themselves.

InuyashaOhki, Blacjak and Bed like this

but what if theres a mechanic that rewards players too much that it becomes spammy? or one that is too stressful and drives players away, or one that makes it no longer werewolf?  for this one I'm not going to measure the pros and cons of the mechanic, if the pros outweighs -  since I really don't know and it would be taboo to make that call in the middle of a game.

I don't know much about the context of the game, and there's probably hidden mechanics too so if blac says low post count players have no chance, then thats that. It is only an issue if the mechanic is not enjoyable, and that measurement is different from person to person. - would have to wait until end of game for player feedback. so far thigns appear tamed

Edited by Bed

Back to being a spectator (albeit one who can't comment much due to peeking inside Inu's head for a bit)!

It looks like Cel was indeed not an innocent, based on the color of her name on the player list.

I do like an ending like that. I don't know if there was anything Traj could have done. I tried to give the impression that there wasn't, but we did fire everything at him. Rex had the opportunity to have coordinated shots with Traj and take Lion out, and Traj might have survived if the first shot of the day was his against Zilary.

I don't know about balance. I said a lot of things intended to seed the idea in people's minds that the villains would be stronger than we were, and reinforced the idea of a 2MT to lower the chamces someone would realize Lion had to be evil. I knew with her early activity level and the timing of Lion's first shot, Zilary would get blamed for it. After all that, I skewed my own perspective. :P

I am curious why you thought Lion wasn't the silent shooter, Traj?

Edited by InuyashaOhki

Because according to my role (and I asked specifically, to be sure), any shot Lion made on the night I had a trap on him was supposed to be redirected to me. Since it wasn't...

I had a trap on Sinical the night he died, too. I have zero idea why my role suddenly became useless. 

Eh. I had been enjoying the game. Now I just feel screwed over in particular. 

Edited by Trajectory

I see from the rolesheet, Lion shoots "without activating other powers", which is presumably why your trap didn't work. This sounds like a problem of using absolute terms for variable conditions. Blac could have phrased it as "any shot fired from their revolver" instead, giving you a non-obvious hint for the weakness in your power. You can do that by default even if the power is absolute, and leave it unclear whether someone can infer from their power use other facts.