InuyashaOhki

"Happy" Little Trees

161 posts in this topic

The bus was crowded. Not that 15 people was too much for the bus, but with all the easels, bags, and other things too big to fit in the overhead compartments, a lot of people were feeling a little cramped as it wound its way up mountainsides, down through valleys, and finally pulled into a small clearing. There was a huge mansion awaiting them, with trees surrounding it as far as the eye could see. The fall colors of the leaves spread from the forest into the clearing itself as fallen leaves gathered around everything. A tall, bearded man walked out onto the expansive porch and waved as people got off the bus. "Welcome, welcome! Get settled in and please do take time for your art."

All seemed well, but a few of the guests wandered around the back of the house, finding a note scrawled into the side of a storage shed. It listed out several people and roles they once fulfilled.

1. Farmer Jones - Dreamer. Had the innate ability to tell if someone had evil in them by thinking about them before bed. He missed the evil in people sometimes, though only about 20% of the time.
  2. Lt. McDaniel - Protector. Was a steadfast man who, if he set his mind to protect someone, would stay with them through the night and ensure no harm came to them. 
  3. Bartholomew Tanner - Tracker. Was inept at following any man or beast. He learned exactly WHERE they went each night, but did not track closely enough to know WHAT they did for certain.
  4. Audrey Jones - Watcher. Ever the observant one, she would watch the home of anyone she feared might come to harm, learning of anyone WHO visited them. She respected their privacy, though, so she didn't know WHAT was done on such visits.
  5. Tony Venulli - Scrambler. The gambling aficionado of the town, Tony could shuffle a deck of cards, a stack of coasters, or even the names in your head. If he set his eyes on you, you would totally randomize whatever names you were thinking about.
  6. Father Wu - Disabler. Seemingly an endless fountain of words, the man could grab your ear and keep you from getting anything done all night.
  7. Godfather Michellini - Vigilante. Though he only had his little 2-shot Derringer, he took it upon himself to use those two shots to try to kill the wolves at night.
  8. Sheriff Umlaut - Jailer. Every night, he'd take one person from the town and put them in the jail, in hopes of keeping 'em out of trouble. While in jail, they could neither do anything, nor could anything be done to them (skipped on all lists, can't use powers).
  9. Professor Ross - Inventor. Every night, he would come up with some new contraption that let someone use an unnatural power. The contraptions were poorly made, though, and only lasted long enough to be used once.
  10. George - Necromancer. A strange fellow that we were all suspicious of from the start, he proved himself useful when he used some incantation to bring back the dead using one of the two strange dolls he owned. He warned of a terrible cost - that one day the wolves would return as spirits to haunt the forest and possess some poor artists generations from now, but that's just silly. Having only two dolls, he could only do it twice.
  11. Jesse Penn - Graverobber. The town gossip, nobody suspected that at night she snuck out to the graveyard and took what she wanted. Each night, she could borrow one use of a power someone dead had possessed. She could use that power any night she wanted, but only once per power.
  12. Jacob T. Ripper - Sociopath. He always seemed like such a nice man. He was good at dodging attacks, no one could tell he had evil in him, not even Farmer Jones, but each night he would kill one person with a knife.
  13. Corporal Terrance - Veteran. Always prepared, Corporal Terrance took the situation in town stoically, then boarded himself up in his home. Each night, he could decide if he was going on alert. The first two times he did, anyone who went to his home died. After two times, though, he couldn't stay on alert anymore. We think he ran out of coffee.
  14. Martin McFly - Hunter. A newcomer to town, McFly was a bit shaky with his pistol and afraid to shoot at anything. He only killed once - the person who killed him.
  15. Vince Clortho - Traitor. Secretly the boyfriend of Olivia, when her brother died, she sought him out and converted him to a wolf as well.
  16. Rich Manning - Bus Driver. A very convincing man, he could convince up to 5 people at a time to change their list to one of his own making.
  17. Duchess Noime - Heir. A wealthy socialite trapped in a small town, Miss Noime often boasted that she would learn any job if it needed doing. And she learned well, taking over for the first of us to die and doing his job up until she herself died.
  18. Harold Lupus - List Replace Wolf. His family had delved into the occult and summoned dark spirits of wolves that inhabited their children. The youngest had the power to control others. If he looked at someone the right way, he could make you think of a new list of names to focus on.
  19. Johannes Lupus - Dreaming Wolf. His dark power well refined, Johannes could learn about anyone he focused on. He would learn if they had a lethal power, an information power, or "something else", but not the specifics.
  20. Olivia Lupus - Lead Wolf. The oldest child, Olivia, was the best hunter. Each night, she killed one person in the town, until only she and her brothers remained.

The bearded man walked up as the old scrawling was read aloud. "Oh, that. Well, it seems there used to be a town here, but everyone died somehow. I'm sure it's not important, but I do descend from the village leader who held the nightly trials and executed one townsperson each night. If something like that happens again, I would have to step in and do the same."

About that time, there was a scream. A manly scream, of course...right... The driver of the bus everyone rode up in had what looked like claw marks across his chest and he lay dead next to the remains of the bus. "Oh dear... That was Neville Manning. He was a Bus Driver. Pity, without him you won't be able to leave. I don't dare call anyone else to come help, though, until we figure out who did this."

(If it's not clear, that's a list of all possible roles in the game and what their powers do. If you don't understand one of them, just ask me to explain it.)

Processing Order:

1. List Replacement
  2. List Scrambling
  3. Disabling
  4. Jailing
  5. Protection
  6. Defensive kills (veteran)
  7. Vigilante kills
  8. Sociopath kills
  9. Wolf kills
  10. Giving stuff (Inventor, graverobber, heiring etc.)
  11. Information powers (tracker, watcher, dreamer, etc)
  12. (Hunter kills take effect at the same time as whatever kills them.)

Rules:

• You MUST submit powers or "no power use" privately to me by 11PM each night, starting on Saturday, 11/12/2016.
  • You MUST post on-topic at least once per day.
  • You MUST vote each day. Votes must be in BOLD in the following format: Vote: Farmer Jones. If you change your mind, use UNVOTE before making a new vote. For example: Unvote: Farmer Jones, Vote: Vince Clortho.
  • Evil players may NOT tell anyone outside their team about their alignment or the alignment of their team UNLESS all members of the team inform me that it is ok.
  • You may speak privately with any other living player.
  • If you die, you will NOT speak privately with any other player, living or dead, about the game. The dead may only post in the signups thread, but should stick around in case they get revived back to life. In the signups thread, you may NOT share any information you learned privately. 
  • If you are at all confused by something, ask the MC privately.
  • I have extended the offer to newbies that if they need advice, they can ask me. In the spirit of fairness, the same offer is open to long-term players too. I will be circumspect in some of my answers because I can't tell you secret information.
Edited by InuyashaOhki

Player List:

1. Happy Little NeopetsMom
  2. Happy Little tWeee - Killed Night 2 by Wolf. Rezzed Night 3.
  3. Happy Little Blacjak - Executed Day 4.
  4. Happy Little Lion Wiggles
  5. Happy Little Zilary
  6. Happy Little Celairiel - Executed Day 5
  7. Happy Little TheZodiac - Executed Day 3
  8. Happy Little Bed - Executed Day 2
  9. Happy Little Trajectory - Killed Night 2 by Knife.
  10. Rockthe Happy Little Fox - Shot Night 4.
  11. Happy Little Exiled Phoenix
  12. Happy Little UrGilgamesh - Killed Night 3 by Wolf.
  13. Happy Little Rexozord
  14. Happy Little Ashontez
  15. Happy Little Smiletrue - Killed Night 1 by Wolf. Rezzed Night 2. Almost Killed Night 3 by Knife, but Inu misread the day number.
  16. Happy Little Neville Manning - Killed Night 0 by Plot Wolf. Unable to be revived.

(Everyone has their roles. Go ahead and get started.)

Edited by InuyashaOhki

First

I was wondering where Sinical was but I guess he's not a happy little tree.

Sarcasm?! A sure sign of evilness. Vote: Phoenix / Unvote: Phoenix

Inu, clarification questoins: 11pm Central, correct? Or are you on the east coast? I know you mentioned in sign-ups, but I'm on my phone and too lazy to wait for the thead change to load. :P

May we vote for that Nobody Mouse that was hiding at the back of the bus?

Here and I'm ready to learn how to paint! Wait, is that not what we are doing...?

I also echo the question if Nobody votes are allowed

There are plenty of Nobody mice around the forest here. You can, of course vote for them. Though why anyone would want to execute an adorable little Nobody mouse...

For the newbies: You can vote "Nobody" if you don't want anyone executed. If the most votes are for Nobody, Nobody is executed.

11pm Central is the deadline. About 9 hours after the timestamp on this post.

Back from Ireland for a holiday and to discover my roots only to find out I've got to go to Norway to discover more roots but right now this wee little fox is ready to play :D

2 hours ago, weee5067 said:

So...it sounds like a safe bet to assume there's no Bus Driver this game.

Neville Manning is the one who was killed. His father/uncle/brother/unrelated Rich Manning could still be in the game.

Vote: Nobody

The open set up with 20 detailed role descriptions but only 15 players is actually rather interesting. I like the depth you took those to, Inu. Plus they're entertaining.

Reading over the descriptions I've had a couple of thoughts. First, I didn't notice a clear neutral-type role. There's obviously a traitor, OMT (one man team), and three wolves for potential non-innocent roles. But everyone else is on the side of the town, from my reading. Does anyone else have a different take on that?

Second, I'm curious which, if not all, of these have been put into play. I would think that having all five active would be a bit heavy on the balance, but not out of the realm of possibility.

As per usual, until further information is available and we can discuss anything more than set-up, I shall Vote: nobody.

1 hour ago, Zilary said:

Neville Manning is the one who was killed. His father/uncle/brother/unrelated Rich Manning could still be in the game.

I'm pretty sure the setup is that each of us is the relative of a former townsperson, not that each of us is a former townsperson. The narrator says all the previous residents died.

Votes so far:

Nobody- Zilary, Cel

3 hours, 40 minutes left for everyone else to vote. :P

Thanks, Cel. :)

tWeee - The original residents of the town did indeed die a century ago. The wolves won that day. Will your generation fare better?

I will settle the mystery I didn't intend to be unclear: The bus driver role is dead by wolf attack and cannot be revived because it's an NPC. I put the death in so that you have an example of an alignment reveal on death and wolf attack. Bus driving role is dead, but the power might not be lost entirely if graverobber or inventor roles are in the game.

Edited by InuyashaOhki

One weird thing I noticed about the roles is that the dreamer has both a 20% fail rate in general, and essentially a 5% fail rate assuming no prior knowledge about the role (since there are 20 roles, and one of them is the sociopath).

While dreaming will still be useful, this means that unless we've figured out who the sociopath is, dream results are really only about 3/4 (76%) reliable at clearing people (though if I'm reading this right, if we dream someone evil they're def. evil).

Additionally, the graverobber should probably remain quiet until nearer the end, since we want to use really strong powers (e.g. bus driver) later in the game when we have more information.

Edited by UrGilgamesh
Didn't bold my vote right

Wow, already somebody died. Good thing it is an NPC.

I see that there is a role named "Rich Manning" who is a Bus Driver. But the person that died was named "Neville Manning." That's wild, must be his brother? So Rich Manning took over his brother's role now?

EDIT:

'as required, can change if there is anything new.

Edited by Bed

It was a possible role, but now it has been killed and cannot be revived.

Given the failure chance of the dreamer, the tracker, disabler, and even the watcher might be more powerful roles in terms of investigation. It's unlikely that all three strict investigation roles are in the game though. I also think it's unlikely that the Hunter, Veteran, and Vigi are all in. Same goes for the Necro, Heir, and Graverobber. Actually, that brings up an interesting thought. Inu, if the Heir is in the game, would the Heir have gotten the Bus Driver role?

Four team baddies and an OMT sounds pretty strong, but some of the innocent roles are also strong (two use Necro, for instance). It's hard to tell if all five baddie roles are being included or if one might be left out (if one was left out, I'm guessing it's the Traitor or the OMT, depending on balancing).

Does this count as my one post per day?

RexEdit: I went ahead and took care of the duplicate posts. If a post looks like it isn't going through, I recommend copying the whole thing, reloading the page, confirming it didn't go through, and then trying to post again.

Edited by Rexozord

1 hour ago, Rexozord said:

Inu, if the Heir is in the game, would the Heir have gotten the Bus Driver role?

That seems like something I might do.

Votes so far:

Nobody- Zilary, Cel, Weee, UrGilgamesh, Rockthefox, Bed, Rexozord, Exiled Phoenix, Ashontez
Not yet voted - NeopetsMom, Blacjak, Lion Wiggles, TheZodiac, Trajectory, Smiletrue

You've got about 37 minutes left to get votes and power uses in, folks.

1 minute ago, Ashontez said:

Does this count as my one post per day?

Well, one of the four times that posted does. :P 

Edited by InuyashaOhki
Edit: Cross posted with Ashontez

So to be clear, the bus driver had a power that the grave person could potentially inherit? Would his power be on the list, or is it just driving busses.