Trajectory

WW: Betrayal at the Mansion Down the Street Signups

43 posts in this topic

Hey, guys, Traj here. Star's recent Love Letter-esque game inspired me to do something similar with a room system; players will only have their Alignment at the start of the game, and they'll have to use their environment to affect the game. Players will send a Move List every night, in addition to any powers they pick up - this will subsequently move them around the map (which I will provide); also, communication will be limited, but available. I'll explain more once I have time to get an actual comprehensive rules post typed up, but I wanted to open signups a bit early so people could start signing up. I don't foresee this game actually starting until probably this coming Wednesday - if people would prefer me to hold off starting until Friday (since Thursday is Thanksgiving in the USA), I can certainly do that as well. Let me know if you'd like to play!

Rules - Standard Sparkbomb rules apply. Rules specific to this game are below.

- Each player will have a Move Rate in their PM, specifying how many rooms they can travel through at Night. Movement is the last thing to occur at night - any abilities that target rooms will occur before people move out of them unless otherwise stated.

- PMs will be available, but restricted in the following manner; you may only PM with people in the same room as you! I will create message groups every day with people who are in the same rooms, and you may use those to speak semi-privately. There may or may not be other ways to communicate privately.

- Execution on the first day will be by majority; Nobody votes are allowed. Execution on subsequent days will be by plurality.

- Deadline will be 1 AM Central, unless something happens at work that makes me change it.

1. Rexozord

2. Blacjak

3. NPM

4. Zilary

5. Lion Wiggles

6. Celairiel

7. Exiled Phoenix

Replacements:

1. Inu

Edited by Trajectory

I'll play.  Sounds very interesting.  And love the idea of a map.  I am fine to start either Wednesday or Friday.  If you start Wednesday, would suggest making that a 48 hours day.

10 hours ago, weee5067 said:

I actually can't play this one, since I'll be socializing up a storm Wednesday through Monday. Have fun!

How does one go about "socializing up a storm"...? Does one go up to a raincloud and asks "how's the weather up there"? :P

Count me in! I would prefer to start AFTER Thanksgiving (and Black Friday) if possible, please.

Based on how busy this week has been so far for me (40 hours in 3 days, heh heh heh... :omg:) I think I'm going go go ahead and say that this will start on Friday. I'll get the actual rules up as soon as I can, I promise. I'm dead right now, though. Good night.

Hey, guys. I've only had 6 people sign up so far, and that really isn't enough for this game, so I was considering perhaps switching to another fairly basic game, give the newbies to the forum another chance to play generic Werewolf. What do you guys think? I'm going to leave signups open till Monday, poke some people, see what happens, but if I haven't gotten any more people by then I'll probably just whip up something generic instead and save this one for later.

I would love to try this idea out, but 6 people is definitely too low. I'm fine with swapping to a more generic game if that's what we need to do to get participants.

Whatever you want to do is fine with me.  Some people may be away for holidays so keep signups open as long as you need to.  Switching type of game is fine if you want

I'm convinced that 4 people is the minimum requirement for an entertaining game based on mafia. I do it all the time. But really any number of people can be entertained. I ran a single player game over the course of a few years. 6 is the next best after 4 I think, and the base game of Betrayal doesn't really need too many people.

Would be cool if there were some more rules. You can't really expect people to sign up for or be interested in something they don't know much about.

Uh a way you could work around the low players and balance the game better (if you still wanted to shoehorn execution into Betrayal) would be to have one execution per day, and multiple cycles per day. Room based games are usually very difficult to balance because of the variable nature of non-incentivised player movement.

Did you see the rules I edited in, Blacjak? If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. If I were to host this game with a low number of players, I might consider adding on some kind of health system. 

Sorry guys, I have to withdraw from playing this game. I'm not going to be available from this Thursday coming until the following Monday!!

I'm fine with playing a normal game, if you don't want to use the game you came up with til we get enough people. I wouldn't want you til feel like you wasted it or that it didn't live up to its full potential or what not. 

Now that we're past the busy weekend, I'm more able to play, especially a more basic game. I am likely to sit out more complicated games at least until the turn of the year.

If you go basic, add me in.

Will do, Cel - it's what I'm leaning toward at this point anyway. If you (or anyone else) knows anyone who wants to play a more basic game than the one I was going to host, please reach out to them and let them know! I'll shelve this one until after the holidays and whip something more basic up, no worries guys. I'll see about starting it Friday night, regardless of how many people have signed up. The first day will be 48 hours (to accomodate my work schedule as well as other people getting revved up to start).

Same. Simple sounds good, especially with the holiday busyness.

As far as starting the game, I'm going to be camping with very limited service this weekend. If you want to go ahead and start without me, I'm okay with sitting out this game. Otherwise, I won't be responsive until Monday, likely.

Sorry to hear that, Zilary. I do sort of feel like we need to get some sort of game started, but as it's Sunday now, I could start the game tonight and with a 48 hour Day One that should give Zilary enough time to come back and join us, so I think that's what I'll go ahead and do.

Edit: That would actually give enough time for thezodiac to stay in and play, if he wanted to... would anyone be able to reach him? I'd hate for him to come back after withdrawing to find that he could have played after all.

Edited by Trajectory