Sign in to follow this  
Zilary

Gift Ideas?

So the holiday season will soon be upon us and I'm always up for looking for new gift ideas for the special peoples in my life. As much as I usually like to cater to fandoms (I'm pretty sure I've bought 80% of the Doctor Who items off of ThinkGeek as gifts), I am scoping out things that are unique, preferably easily homemade but can be other things too.

Without further ado...

What gift(s) that you have given someone and was well received?

What gift(s) that was given to you that made you feel special?

I generally give people clothing, specifically colored socks to people in my family. They anticipate it, since I do it everytime, so it's the easy rode for me. Sometimes I don't, since I've been good for the year for them. 

For non-family, sometimes I give people cards. One point, I made some origami, but I don't think people appreciate stuff like that. I feel it's more about getting something they want, like a toy or something, rather than something hand-made, so I default to cards and some words since it's the traditional thing to do, and it works each time. Words can be more impactful than gifts, that's what I like to say, but I am bad at words. 

I have been asking family for lists for years because we've all reached the point where we're on our own budgets, so it's not safe to just get something in their fandom without checking first. I have a friend, who I'm meeting up with in a few hours, who I get board and card games for because that's what we spend most of our time together doing and I know he does the same with his other friends. For others, I do like Bed and give a card - we have a formalwear shop in town that sells oddities that include some very ornate and beautiful pop-up cards. It feels like getting an object (my mother gives them to me for various other occasions) but it can be closed and put away without taking up much space.