Sign in to follow this  
Exiled Phoenix

Werewolf: The Return Signups

I'm sorry Exiled... But that ending was just nonsense. Rift was left against 3 innocents and from there the best he could hope for was a coin flip. Totally disagree with that being used as an ending EVER!!

It was a good game up until then...

The first two targets I suggested we kill were Zilary and Starmaker. That was game right there had we stuck to that plan. Fox killed Zilary Night 1 but then decided to kill Sinical and that is what ultimately lost us the game... But I questioned in our group chat why we hadn't won the game after Sinicals death as we had a 3v3 situation. So I surmised that we must have an OMT and genuinely believed that it was Blacjak after he survived execution.

My suggestion on the thread that Blacjak had some kind of copy cat role was to provide cover for Rift when the remaining innocents would question why a mauling took place the night after both myself and Fox died. Neo considered it but there was really no activity last couple days.

It was an enjoyable game, I just really disagree with us not winning in a 1v1 situation!!

Edited by thezodiac

It is I think a philosophical thing whether the evil player should always win if there is a 1-1 situation.  Many MCs will make that an auto win for the evil players.  I've generally not done it as I let things play out.  Yes, if the evil player is guaranteed to win then they should win.  But, given my ability if I was the one innocent left at the end of the game I could stalemate an evil player.  The choice the MC also makes at the start of the game is whether the game can end in a tie.

If you have a tie vote what happens if there is nothing else governing how to break an execution tie.  If you don't want the possibility of a tied game then you use a randomizer and have the game end by randomizer.  I've done that myself in some games.  Granted, it usually leaves a bad taste in the mouth of some people.  The other choice is to make it where there is no randomizer used in a 1-1 situation.  There is simply no execution and what happens at night determines.  In this case I could endlessly prevent Rift from killing me but I couldn't kill.  So that would have been a tie.  I've also done that as an MC and philosophically I'm OK with that.  If the innocent player left is one who can stalemate the game, then so be it.

Starting with a 3-man team in an 8 player game pretty much necessitated that the 1v1 situation couldn't end the game (as else we would have been too powerful), but the consequence is that it results in endings like the one we had.

My failing to vote Day 3 combined with Blacjak not using his extra vote on Day 3 would have canceled out and without impacting the game... and Blacjak's extra vote might have drawn extra suspicion anyway. I was much worse about checking in in a timely manner than I expected (checking in mostly late at night and then early in the morning).

Fox decided to kill Sinical Night 2, even though I had speculated Star as dreamer since Day 1 (but didn't want to push 'cause I didn't want to kill Star, :(). I'm surprised that Blacjak wasn't a standard Protector. Even with the three wolf team, roles like a Protector and Jailer can increase the number of Nights where kills can be prevented and help to provide balance. After I failed to kill NPM (sorry Zilary, I meant to save you for last), I couldn't figure out if she was some flavor of OMT or what. Jailer was the last thing on my mind (though it should have been more obvious).

Good job on the game, Exile! It was definitely fun having a rez as an evil player, and I enjoyed making the all-in play by rezzing Zilary.

5 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

(but didn't want to push 'cause I didn't want to kill Star, :()

This is actually kind of funny because you were one of the ones my instincts were telling me was a wolf and I just never followed up on it either xD

but then decided to kill Sinical and that is what ultimately lost us the game

Even when I'm contributing absolutely nothing I am able to make the evil teams lose. A rare talent.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think small games should have some disclosure about the format. This game, both the innocents and evil team played horribly suboptimally because we were both unaware on the amount of evil players/teams. If people can guess the format used then everything works out fine, but in this case I don't think absolutely anybody expected a 3 man evil team. But the fact there was one lead to me promoting a really wrong line of play, as we should have executed day one. The fact the game wouldn't be over when evil players = innocent players was also something that should have been communicated (Although the idea itself was good to give credit)

This is all much less of an issue in large games, because there's so much going on with multiple teams that you can't predict things overly well anyway, and the games are longer so you have more time to adjust.

Edited by Sinical

I agree with you Sinical on the disclosure part. Once myself and Fox were outed by Star, Rift decided to go all in with the claim and rez the person he simply had to, Zilary, to make it the most believeable. But this plan was heavily dependent on us winning in a 1v1 situation.... Put blacjak up as a viable execution target for the next day, kill Star that night and then kill either Zilary or Neo the following night.

Of course, had Blacjak being active then that plan was out the window anyway, once Neo decided to vote Rift as that is surely who blacjak would have voted with his double vote.

I think all this considered, we should not have won in a 3v3 or 2v2 situation for balance but should have in a 1v1... That's my assessment.

Oh and I also loved the idea of an evil player rez that could only be used on an innocent.

Edited by thezodiac

Thanks for hosting Exiled! You did a good job of balancing with such few players and I liked how you experimented with not having the game end when the baddie players equaled innocent players. I know ending on a coin flip sometimes feels dissatisfactory, but it is what it is.

Yeah, when I was rezzed, which was unexpected, it cleared Rift in my head for me and I threw suspicion on Blacjak and NPM. I thought that was a great mechanic having a baddie rez an innocent. That's something I haven't seen enforced before as baddies tend to rez baddies or risk rezzing an innocent to clear their name.

StarMaker fortunately had two baddie hits, which gave the innocents a chance with the number of baddies you had. I'm glad the game somewhat balanced itself out.

Anyway, thank you for hosting the game, especially around the holidays! Sorry there weren't more players, but I hope if you host another one later in the year, you'll get more participation.