Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Red

Gaming Nostalgia

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Rift Edit: Since this is turning into a conversation, I split it off into its own topic.

Slightly off-topic but not worth making a whole new thread to post:

I took a few hours and went through the list of all games for PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4, XBox360,XBoxOne, N64, Gamecube and WiiU and I ended up making a list of 56 games called "Games at 40" which represented all the games I've played partially or beaten that I would want to replay down the road. This list represents all the games I consider great. The list includes games like the Bioshock series, the Mario Galaxy games, some Zelda games, the Paper Mario series, some of the Zelda series, the original Devil May Cry and the Uncharted series.

And starting in 2017, I will be making a list of the games for new systems that I don't have the time to play but would like to try. Hopefully, it will only be about 6-12 games max per year. I think gaming is great, but I know I won't have a ton of time to play in the next few years. So it will be nice to catalog the few games I might care about and then just get it all out of my head for the next year.

Edited by Shattered Rift

Well, your list includes ps1 but no ps1 games. I can only assume you've been biased by the new games, especially considering most your series have recent entries. 

I didn't list everything, those are just some examples of games on my list.

And it's totally cool if you'd like to insult my preferences. Because they are preferences. 

3 hours ago, Sinical said:

Well, your list includes ps1 but no ps1 games. I can only assume you've been biased by the new games, especially considering most your series have recent entries.

I love me some old-school, but I would definitely argue that the newer generations of gaming have been "better" than the old, or are more worthy of being revisited later from a standpoint of "I want to go back to these." Setting PSX aside for a moment, every generation prior to the PSX/N64/Dreamcast can be revisited during a random afternoon, except for RPGs. Games just weren't long enough back then.

Meanwhile, as I discovered with a friend the other night, a lot of N64 games can just be thrown in and played around with and then set aside. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are the exception on length. I'm not as sure about PSX titles, because my collection is almost wholly RPGs (except for Symphony of the Night and the Megaman Legends games, though the RPG argument is still there with those).

Since I broadened the conversation a bit, I do want to comment that it was interesting messing around in the two Pokemon Stadium games. Awkward movesets and odd mechanics made an original Stadium battle particularly challenging. And Stadium 2 almost objectively has better mini-games, despite the fact that I played Stadium's much more. Lastly, Mario Kart 64 did not have nearly so tight of controls as the modern Kart games do.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what it means by "better." Games have improved graphics, cut-scenes, emotions, more capability in general... As far as nostalgia goes, I feel like this experience is something I would only feel about games I played when I was growing up, probably from early age to age 20s? Games after that, I don't think I would feel nostalgic, maybe because A) they are recent, or B) they just less memorable because of more things in life at older age, or C) first experience is more memorable than the repeated ones?

I wouldn't be compelled to play these games again at age 40 or something, but maybe check out or revisit the music or something for that nostalgia effect.

I think the games with great good feeling music is most nostalgic to me, there might be other things.

list: Donkey Kong Country I, II, III, Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Trigger.

Edited by Bed