Blacjak

[Sparkbomb All-Stars 2017] Ultimate Shounen Tournament: The Next Legendary Fighter- Battle of the Gods/ Clash of Destiny (Signups/Graveyard)

dK7Ny-Cq_Nu335iZDtkUDB3rSBg2bCwnxqX8YVb6S0Dho6l8O7Z2CvtfKJh2W5a4kEWy4zOT2fGu3LSjyBkjs62_tzw6ZUZHdSQ1tPAqU5wAVz9Og42hyHr2ieLoUFllHvflMKO8

The Next Legendary Fighter- Battle of the Gods/ Clash of Destiny

For millennia, the forces of Overworld and Shadowrealm have been locked in an epic struggle for their very survival. Each lives in precarious balance with the other, but a single tragedy from total mutual annihilation.

Long ago, the God of Creation birthed a light so bright, that not even the deepest shadow could quench it. Its miracles washed away any affliction, and granted inspiration beyond that which any mortal could conceive. Unsure of what to do with this great gift, he sought the advice of the God of Logic, for surely he would know.

It was then that the God of Logic saw fit to bless the champions of Overworld with the mystic power of the Spark. Being the larger realm, it was obvious to him that it was the superior choice. With it, Overworld prospered and became a shining example of creation and virtue.

However, not all beings were happy, and this filled the God of Creation with sadness. Jealousy had filled the empty hearts of those abandoned in the depths of Shadowrealm, far from the Spark’s grace. Embracing the destruction of the gods benevolent creation, they launched a full scale invasion against Overworld. Countless lives were lost and Shadowrealm was on the verge of overpowering their opponents and consuming the Spark.

It was then that the God of Creation intervened and stopped the slaughter by tearing his gift in two; The Spark of Light, and the Spark of Shadows. The God of Logic however, did not agree with his brother’s actions, and argued that only the strongest creation should be worthy of the Spark. The world stood still for several days as they squabbled before finally a compromise was reached. The gods agreed not to interfere with the conflict between the two realms, however, a direct confrontation would not be allowed. Instead, the mightiest fighters from each world would gather together to compete in the Ultimate Tournament. The prize: the Spark, and inevitably, their very lives.

Rules: All standard rules and ethics of Sparkbomb apply.

The game is broken down into two Phases:

Day: Starts Midnight EST, Matches will take place as well as voting for the next Match.

Night: 9pm-Midnight EST, Match results are calculated and Prep Time begins.

~~~~~

Each player will have two stats, their Power Level, which is their strength in combat; and their Fighting Spirit, which allows the use of abilities.

Each day, all living players vote on combatants for the next Match. The two combatants with the highest number of votes will become the next fighters. In the event of a tie, results are randomized.

Following the vote, Prep Time will occur at Night. During this time, Support and Prep Powers may be used.

The Match will take place the Day following voting. During this time, fighters may use Combat Powers, and spectators may use Support Powers. The two fighters’ Power Levels are compared and the fighter with a higher Power Level wins. The loser is eliminated from the Tournament, but remains alive. In the event of a tie, the fighter with more Fighting Spirit wins. If there is still a tie, then both fighters remain in the Tournament.

The goal of the game is for your team to try to ensure one of their members wins the Tournament. If any member of your team wins the Tournament, you win the game as well.

Gods:

Blacjak- God of Creation

Rexozord- God of Logic

Fighters:

0. Sinical

^ His

1. Celariel

^ Drill

2. Rock the Fox

^ Pierced

3. Shattered Rift

^ The

4. Red

^ Signups

5. Zilary

6. Roxeon

7. Lieutenant-colonel Franc

8. thezodiac

All-Stars will begin July 5th.

Edited by Blacjak
Maintenance due to excessive drilling >>>

2 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

First- wait, how did Cel and the Fox Man beat me to signups?

They outfoxed you. :D

I will potentially be out of communication for the 14-18th for a trip to Texas to visit my other brother who you haven't met, so I will have to sit this one out. Good luck, wolves. :) 

Sorry about the delay guys. We're in the process of re-designing a couple things to make the game work with the current number of players. We should have the game thread up tonight.

I'm bummed at the lack of fanfare, but pleased at the result. 

Great game, Rex and Blac. I loved the tournament style. I think if we gave this set-up another run, players would play strategically earlier. I was able to interact with enough players to realize that there was a lack of understanding how to utilize the set-up. It's different enough from execution-style werewolf, that I think we would all have played a little differently. For example, I'm surprised that we only had a single player volunteering to fight. It really shouldn't have been looked on with such suspicion. Players like myself with strong support powers, but weak battle power should have tried to get into the ring early in order to avoid having to go up against a strong champ later in the game. 

I also think that if we had fully strategized, more players would have stayed engaged after defeat. The support concept was a great way to do that, but the set-up was unfamiliar enough to limit confidence in where to throw support and just how it worked. 

15 minutes ago, Celairiel said:

I'm bummed at the lack of fanfare, but pleased at the result. 

Great game, Rex and Blac. I loved the tournament style. I think if we gave this set-up another run, players would play strategically earlier. I was able to interact with enough players to realize that there was a lack of understanding how to utilize the set-up. It's different enough from execution-style werewolf, that I think we would all have played a little differently. For example, I'm surprised that we only had a single player volunteering to fight. It really shouldn't have been looked on with such suspicion. Players like myself with strong support powers, but weak battle power should have tried to get into the ring early in order to avoid having to go up against a strong champ later in the game. 

I also think that if we had fully strategized, more players would have stayed engaged after defeat. The support concept was a great way to do that, but the set-up was unfamiliar enough to limit confidence in where to throw support and just how it worked. 

I have GOT to stop talking to Cel XD

Here's the google doc dump for roles and such.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sLpQeio6U70cP1LS3zBcwaBwF8NxwAmgGIkTGM9vK0Y/edit?usp=sharing

The only thing I think I would have changed is making Deathmatch's conversion a Unique power so that she couldn't use it if she ended up winning her first match, because it was basically intended not to happen.

The main reasons the innocents lost was due to an extreme lack of power usage. A majority of powers were never used, most importantly, Support Powers. Sinical and Red also should not have been put on the Voting block again together, although even Cel was surprised they were still bound by fate. (If they fought, the loser dies) Red was a confirmed dreamer, confirmed by name dreamer heir, and also non-publicly a rezzer. I guess the OMT also didn't play at all so that probably took a bit of pressure off the baddies. Cel being supported (but also her opponent NOT being supported) meant that she moved on with her conversion still (which I should have taken away) and then Sinical not being protected meant that Rift could use his single trump card to kill him in the Match. If Cel had lost, Rock would have been converted. Both Sinical and Rox could beat Rock, and both were built to fight Rift, so his trump wouldn't have guaranteed the win, and I think the innocents probably would have won. If Cel didn't have her Conversion, then it would have been Rox vs Rift and Rox would have won if he had Support, but I had already told Cel that since it wasn't a Unique Power she could still use it again and I didn't want the potential to make the baddies felt like they lost unfairly by GM last minute rules change.

Edited by Blacjak

Just realized I posed in the game feed without realizing that the game was already over and the forces of darkness have already one so again apologies for being absent along time. But congrats on winners but the war of light and darkness is never truly over. I loved the style of this game I saw a lot of like Tekken style in it. I was wondering if that is where you got your inspiration from Jak?

So wait, did I win with the baddies? I'll take it.

I honestly feel like a big part of why innos lost was because of the execution style. Not only were they unreliable and delayed, they gave no information unless someone died from it and basically tied up 4 players at a time. It was definitely an interesting mechanic and I would like to see it revisited but I don't feel it was adequate for a game of this size.

Thanks for hosting, Blac/Rex (Blex? Nah that just sounds wrong)!

Execution gave a lot of information actually, and players could still play the game and support. You knew who won, and how many players supported each side. You also knew how many matches a player had won. From that and claims, it should easily be able to determine rough estimates of power levels. An innocent who lost a match against someone they thought was a baddie could tell you that that player had more than x power because they know their own power level and the boosts affecting them. The innocents also had an alignment dreamer, and name dreamer/heir/rezzer combo. The OMT suicides when he loses, and the baddies are unlikely to win if Head Honcho is eliminated, who has the weakest support power in the game. I had personally thought the baddies would get steamrolled by cohesive innocent strategy.

Making Head Honcho fight more people is fine. It was obvious he was evil. But the innocents made no moves that I saw to form a strategy to defeat him or even attempt to support players going up against him. Supporting powers were the cheapest and could easily be spammed, especially once eliminated from fighting as they would have nothing else to spend resources on.

There are a lot of things about the format that I enjoyed conceptually, and I'd be curious to see an HP mechanic or the like included.

It took a while to wrap my head around timings and such, and I assume the same was true for others. There was also the question of when to use my Kill and whether to use it sooner or save it for the end as I ended up doing. Cel had wanted me to use it on Franc, but I missed the timing to do so, and that ended up working out to our benefit anyway. I had forgotten how difficult Werewolf can be when the dead retain their voices, and I kept worrying about the support powers of the dead. And I was expecting the rez that never came, given both my Kill power and Cel's convert (not to mention Cel's other Kill that somehow still played out).

I'd be curious to see other variants on the double execution mechanic in the future. Juggling that was certainly an interesting thing here (especially with my disconnect from almost everything else in the game early on).

@Sinical, I'm sorry for your loss. It sucks having real life stuff come up during Werewolf. And I assume your being in Japan made it all the more stressful.

Deadline was exactly the same as every other Werewolf, but with the added benefit of having time to allow players to change their night list after execution.

Rift used his Kill power at the exact right time he should have. I believe Cel had missed the deadline to deathflag Franc, which is what she meant by killing him. Franc had actually protected himself that match however, and neither power would have worked.

I think moving forward, I'll include lots of examples and basic strategy guides for the setup. Some might think that figuring out the game and devising the best way to play your role is a big part of the game. However, it's a common problem with my games that the players catch on too slowly, so I'll definately try the adaptation. I think this is why gunslingers went so well. With a public role, players had more information about the game and examples of other mechanics not gained through role trading, so everyone seemed to catch on faster.

Edited by Blacjak

3 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

There are a lot of things about the format that I enjoyed conceptually, and I'd be curious to see an HP mechanic or the like included.

It took a while to wrap my head around timings and such, and I assume the same was true for others. There was also the question of when to use my Kill and whether to use it sooner or save it for the end as I ended up doing. Cel had wanted me to use it on Franc, but I missed the timing to do so, and that ended up working out to our benefit anyway. I had forgotten how difficult Werewolf can be when the dead retain their voices, and I kept worrying about the support powers of the dead. And I was expecting the rez that never came, given both my Kill power and Cel's convert (not to mention Cel's other Kill that somehow still played out).

I'd be curious to see other variants on the double execution mechanic in the future. Juggling that was certainly an interesting thing here (especially with my disconnect from almost everything else in the game early on).

@Sinical, I'm sorry for your loss. It sucks having real life stuff come up during Werewolf. And I assume your being in Japan made it all the more stressful.

Yep, knew there was a reason I loved Cel. Gal speaks like a siren. *headdesk* It is a pity that didn't happen. I would not have died.

Part of my problem is I saw this game like Dragonball Z if you will - a tournament of worlds. I didn't think there were baddies per se.

Edited by Lieutenant-colonel Franc

Franc, I was positive you suspected me. I have no idea why you believed me. When you claimed the support, my utter shock was totally genuine. I spent the day you were asking for support trying to find any way to avoid the conversation. It was actually one of the easier days for me to participate, IRL, but I just acted like it was a normal day. And at one point, I also wondered about the "not exactly baddies" idea, even though my role PM said "baddie HQ." The set up would have allowed for a really effective subversion of the standard town vs wolf concept.