Sign in to follow this  
Shattered Rift

Obscure Werewolf Roles

Could anyone remind me of as many weird/obscure roles as possible? I'm talking especially about the kinds of things we don't normally include like Millers. I'll likely pour over my unused SparkWiki notes at some point, but there was a lot of stuff I specifically excluded from those notes since they weren't interesting there.

Edit: Or like The Fool, where when it dies it wins the game. I hate that role. But it's totally viable for the project I'm working on.

Edit 2: And by Fool I mean Jester. I've now gone through my notes.

Edited by Shattered Rift

This has a ton

https://epicmafia.com/role

Some of the roles are a bit silly or don't fit the format we play, but a lot would be fitting. (On a side note, we should probably try and set up a weekly/monthly epicmafia night, could draw people back)

Thanks for the link. Going through it while multitasking today...

Why have we never included a Nurse-type role? Simultaneously protects and disables the target. Is that stronger than I'm giving it credit for due to its versatility?

Edit: This came to my attention a while back, but I didn't go very far down this rabbit hole at the time, but what about a mass conversion game with one or more players that protect from conversion? Or that reverse conversion (possibly in a Cult that doesn't reveal the original Cultist).

Edit 2: Monkey is one of the most fantastic roles I've ever seen.

Edit 3: Excellent. This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Still interested in hearing more, and it's going to take a long time to sort through this in a way that will fit what I'm working to create, but it definitely suggests that my idea is very feasible. Assuming my core idea is good. I'll be having Rex look over it once he finishes checking SparkRPG.

Edited by Shattered Rift

21 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

Why have we never included a Nurse-type role? Simultaneously protects and disables the target. Is that stronger than I'm giving it credit for due to its versatility?

Sounds a lot like a jailer. With how we typically use jailer, the target can neither use powers nor have powers used on them.

21 hours ago, Shattered Rift said:

Edit: This came to my attention a while back, but I didn't go very far down this rabbit hole at the time, but what about a mass conversion game with one or more players that protect from conversion? Or that reverse conversion (possibly in a Cult that doesn't reveal the original Cultist).

I've done mass conversion before, but a protected player is usually a required nonconverted role in mine, like the curer or someone on other teams. I have written inoculation once (where, instead of curing, someone could inoculate people against conversion), but I don't honestly remember how it turned out if I even got around to running it.

- The "contamination" version starts out with 1 infected player who is immune to execution and detection until he infects someone, and only the oldest can infect. With this one, the infected are discouraged from networking because I usually include a cure role to uninfect someone.

- Multivector conversion where there are just two or more conversion wolf style teams and a bunch of innocents. With this, usually a double-infection kills with the dead being counted as the team that converted them first.

- I've considered a version where the innocents are the minority team trying to cure everyone else, but I didn't ever work it through. This sort of lends itself to the scene from Sean of the Dead where they're moaning and stumbling around so the zombies don't realize they're not zombies.

As for more roles, I mentioned before:

- Fisherman - Offers players a one-use power. Unbeknownst to them, he learns part of their role if they accept.

- Ambassador - Linked role with requirements that can change the landscape of the game (merging opposing teams, create a win-win ending, etc.) I have done this with a never-run game with 4 teams and a sort of rock-paper-scissors approach to who could form a treaty with who, and I did it with two games here where people could negotiate a treaty and make peace with two factions. One of those was meeting a set of requirements which ended the game peacefully, the other was meeting a set of requirements that turned a game with 2 opposing innocent factions into 1 while leaving the villain factions active.

- Sub-MC - Not generally useful, but this is a role from my Metropolis Werewolf game. I keep saying when I post availability that I have a plan for ludicrous numbers of players, and this is the linchpin role. Essentially I break the game up into smaller suburbs and assign someone a Sub-MC role that can be either evil or innocent, and cannot communicate what is going on to the players either way.

Other thoughts (I haven't gone through Epicmafia, so apologies if this overlaps):

- Dealer - Sort of like the Inventor role, but with no control over what power is given out. Just deals cards and then learns what was used. The "deck" would be a known quantity, though, so as it dwindles down, you could guess at what might be next.

- Hired Assassin - Probably needs a better name. Basically a Neutral has to kill a specific role with no idea who has that role. Loses if that role dies by other means or survives the game, doesn't have to live to the end.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:03 AM, InuyashaOhki said:

- Hired Assassin - Probably needs a better name. Basically a Neutral has to kill a specific role with no idea who has that role. Loses if that role dies by other means or survives the game, doesn't have to live to the end.

I'm accustomed to this being called Headhunter (and I don't recall what EM called it).

Oh, one other I thought up. It's called Useful Plain Innocent.

Basically it's a PI that actually contributes to the game rather than going pseudo-afk. The most obscure of roles.