Shattered Rift

Sparkbomb: Mansionverse Saga

Recommended Posts

tl;dr: Yes.

Right now, you can all see about two or three meters from where you're standing. Walking around this place is like walking around your house at night, except there's no discernible light source. With the complete silence surrounding you, your voices will carry well, and if any of you were to shout it could be heard clear from the rooms you and Traj and Rex are in all the way to the ninja team (assuming you left the doors open, which I'm assuming you did), although the listeners would just hear sound (given the distance). If you and Rex/Traj both stepped outside of the rooms you're currently in, you'd be able to speak to each other at normal volume and be able to hear each other fairly clearly.

Role play it out how you wish (quiet, normal, or loud) and I'll incorporate that into things. So far I've been assuming that all speaking has been done at normal volume, or perhaps beneath it given the setting. But your movements so far have only been quiet at best, not silent (thus you and Rex and Traj being able to hear each others' movements on the north and south paths going east).

But the long and short of it is that delaying you from finding each other would be adding unnecessary downtime. For now.

Oh, one last thing: PMs are completely down. None of you can use them to communicate with each other in this place.

Edited by Shattered Rift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Yeah, because of PMs being down, I wasn't too sure how much hand-waving of us finding one another would be done, but technically I suppose if there isn't anything specifically seeking at this time to keep us separated or keeping us from finding each other, there isn't any reason why we--eventually--couldn't.))

((Okay, so at this point, I'm just going to assume commands aren't super necessary if we're just looking for dialogue with one another? Yeah. Gonna assume that.))

~!**!~

As Star wandered back to what she in her head head already oriented as "Start," she sought out... ...what were their names? ####. She remembered...Traj ...and...R...ax? ...

I'm getting awfully tired of not knowing who I am.

"Hackers! Are there any Hackers in the house?" She finally called out when she found Start, finding the darkness felt somewhat oppressive and ready to face something if it jumped out at her, altered to her presence by her shout. So far they hadn't been bothered. She wondered if the luck would hold.

With a self-conscious hand rubbing at the back of her neck, upon finding them she began with an apology, and shortly thereafter her name.

"I'm...sorry. That wipe of Script Kiddie's did a number on my memory. I-If we knew each other before now, I can't remember. Just...bits and pieces." She didn't offer a hand, but just sort of nodded somewhat awkwardly: "Call me Flotsam--err--" She wasn't exactly sure where that nomenclature had arisen from and her head twitched slightly as if resetting the encounter, red rising to her cheeks with embarrassment, "--that is, Star. Call me Star. Sorry." Can't even remember my own #### name. She wished the earth would open up beneath her feet and swallow her whole.

She quickly continued, words coming out in a sort of rush that belied her attempt at maintaining any sort of composure, "There's a sort of...barrier back my direction if you're interested in taking a look. I thought maybe a Hacker could tackle it...?" She waited to see if they had any interest. 

If so, she would gladly lead them back to the stairs she had found at their leisure.

~!**!~

((I suppose this is where I say if either of you Hackers want to see where Star is talking about, she'll take you there if you want, where then I would assume upon Update Rift'll let us know what we can do next, if anything.))
 

Edited by TheLastStarMaker
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commands right now should include location and action. So taking one (or both) hackers to the staircase to have them investigate works fine as a command. Likewise, Blacjak's command to take the Acrobat-only path is fine, as is Ward's current command to return to the starting point.

You can also include other commands of your own design. Traj licking the ore came from a conversation he and I had privately, for example.

Edited by Shattered Rift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move to starting location

iko had just came into realization where he was. He was mostly following Ward around without thinking. It was because he was pre-occupied thinking about something else. Was he hungry, or was he not? Was he suppose to go hungry after a period of time? He was okay with never having to eat, but still, he wouldn't mind a sandwich of sorts right now.

He noticed someone from the other group had also moved to the same area.

iko listened intently as the person started to talk.  The person was known to be no other than Star. In response to Star's request, iko quietly raised his hand as if he was her student. He didn't have the courtesy of introducing himself. Because of his prior failures, iko has adapted. Soon after thinking this, he introduced himself and Ward to Star.

Follow Star

Edited by Bed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Returning to the location they'd started from, Traj retraced the other team's steps, ending up at the fence. He'd noticed the others talking about Hackers and glitched staircases, but hacking things wasn't exactly in Traj's wheelhouse. 

This, though... this was. 

[Command: also parkour!]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stairway

After regrouping at their starting point and filling each other in on what they had found, all but Trajectory made their way to the northeast room to see the staircase Star had found. As she quickly demonstrated, each step resulted with her back at the bottom. iko and Ward quickly pulled up their terminals.

"Nothing's showing up to interact with," Ward said. "I can't tell if it's a glitch. Or maybe-"

"Permissions?" iko said, and Rex successfully took a step onto the stairs.

"A path for Acrobats and a path for Leaders," Rex said. "Stay here while I scout ahead."

At the top of the stairs, Rex found a room equal in size to the one below. A couple of tables—desks, perhaps—filled the space, but what surprised Rex was the large window on the west side of the room looking out onto the walkway and back into the large room they had started in. From this viewpoint, he could recognize the walkway as a catwalk. Rex could just make out the railing. A door leading out to it was locked. That left only the door on the south side of the room.

"Similar room up here," Rex called down. "Tables, maybe desks for furnishing, a window looking onto back out into the room we started in. And a door leading out to the catwalk, but it's locked. There's another door leading south: I'm going to try opening it."

It opened easily, but the room beyond was pitch black. The utter darkness came as a surprise compared to the odd lighting that illuminated the rest of this place without revealing more than a few meters at a time. Total darkness risked the possibility of ambush, and none of his teammates would be able to reinforce him since they couldn't climb the stairs. But it was also a path that he alone could take. It would have been nice to have Khem as backup.

[You are free to move to any known location in this dungeon that is accessible based on your trait. Command?

Party 1: TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 7/23 Energy 6/9
Party 2:
Ward: Sparks 28/28 Energy 4/5, iko: Sparks 12/28 Energy 7/10
Party 3: Rexozord: Sparks 13/33 Energy 5/7]

Acrobats-only

Blacjak spent a few moments sizing up the drop from the second platform. Not being able to see the ground made him nervous, but it would be fine as long as he didn't land on a slope and it wasn't a deeper drop than the ground on the east side. Turning around and taking hold as best he could, he dropped the short distance to hold himself first by his elbows, then by his hands, before finally making the drop itself.

A moment passed in silence before his feet touched the ground. His landing was not graceful. Being unable to see the ground hadn't helped anything. But he brushed himself off and got back to his feet to survey his new surroundings.

The chain link fence on the south side was still there, and it quickly wound around to the north. Another wall on the north cut him off, so he took the path winding east, which turned north, now on the other side of the fence that barred his teammates from joining him. Blacjak smiled at the scene laid out before him beyond: he had found an obstacle course.

"Is that what I think it is?" Traj asked happily. Blacjak had heard someone coming behind him, and he had given Traj just enough time to catch up. "Race you!"

The two rushed ahead, weaving past obstacles and uneven footing, sliding beneath walls that started a couple of feet above the ground, and even doing a short wall run above a small drop. The exercise was over all too quickly, and the two were ecstatic for the opportunity.

They entered a small space surrounded by walls, and a figure stood ahead of them with a broad stance and crossed arms. It was the first person they had seen since entering this place.

"Do you two fancy your luck in battle," a silky voice asked, "or shall we wait for the girl to join us?"

[A dark figure approaches. Command?

Your party has been ordered based on current Sparks. If you would like to change it, please include a command to do so.

Blacjak: Sparks 17/28 Energy 4/5, Trajectory: Sparks 8/28 Energy 7/10]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It had been her first instinct upon sensing that the stairs "didn't want her to pass," but for Rex's sake, she had hoped not. 

Though it was rather convenient of him to show up and join them.

When the other Bruiser did not join them, Star could only assume he had found de wai of their trait, and felt the notion confirmed when they arrived at the stairs and Traj was not with them.

She gave a little huff, mumbled something along the lines of 'good luck,' and turned to iko and Ward with a smile that said she had remembered their names.

"Well." Her hands moved to her hips as her eyes lingered on the staircase she couldn't access, the notion irking her as if it perhaps felt wrong, but passing just as quickly as she returned her attention to the other two. "That takes care of that. I think it's safe to say there's probably something around here you two can fiddle with, if not these stairs. Even if two words haven't been said about it edgewise. What say we find it...?"

Without the ability to use their HUD right now, they would have to do this the old fashioned way: on foot. 

run_command!Search_HackerWae

((MetaPermissions::run_command!Move_Start|Move_East|Move_East))

Edited by TheLastStarMaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ward watched the strange girl that had dragged Iko and himself to this room, as she huffed and puffed, trying hard not to roll his eyes. He was a little annoyed at the fact that this was the second path that he couldn’t use.

“Well, hold on one second,” Ward called out to Star as she bolted for the door. “While I’m not generally one to turn down help it might be better if you head for the door in the area where we started, it leads to a path only acrobats can get past. Since this path can only be used by leaders, then it stands to reason that the last path can only be used by Iko and myself, so even if you come with us you probably won’t be able to go the whole way.”

Ward glanced over to Iko to see if he had any problem with the group splitting up here.

Move West, South, East.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blacjak took up a defensive stance and tried to size up their would be opponent.

"Even if Star were here, our spark totals are all too low. But this is the only way I can contribute, and so I'll gladly give my body for the cause. How about you Traj, are you ready to die?"

He stared down the figure,

"Who are you and what do you gain by fighting us?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iko was taken back at Ward's sense of reasoning for a bit. In an instant, Ward had discerned the facts, constructed a resolve, and subjugated his ideas onto Star, who was merrily on her way. Was this not the skills of a true leader? An act of true dominance? iko could not ignore the Ward's plan, and so, he responded to Ward.

"Alright. Wait. I don't know. All three of us can investigate the other path? You know, anything can happen right?" After nervously speaking iko did a fake nervous laugh as well.

Move  West, South, East.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traj shouldered his bat and narrowed his eyes, but mentally he was evaluating the situation.

No idea who - or what - that is, no idea what they can do, Sparks low, no Snowballs. No idea what happens if we need to respawn currently with everything down.

Still...

"Who said anything about dying? Star will be here in a few moments and it'll be three-on-one," Traj lied, projecting an air of confidence.

"I think we'll be fine."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star turned back to Ward and gave a small nod of appreciation, but did not otherwise change direction.

"Indeed! I figured as much, but I am glad someone around here is willing to share information."

"As to my not accompanying you--" She shrugged, "--view it how you like. I am not specifically party to your endeavors in any case, but I do wish to see this door for myself. After all--" For a moment her eyes gleamed with something unnameable, "--Knowledge is Power," and then she turned back to follow her pre-determined path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stairway and the Door

Rex reconvened with the others, informing them of the situation. Whatever he decided, this path wasn't one they could take, and he would be on his own if he took it, so they went their way to investigate the room Traj and Rex had visited earlier.

Traveling West... South... South... East...

The group traveled past the occasional bot and tables filled with widgets and gadgets until they arrived at the other room. Unlike the more cramped room they had been in before, the lack of a staircase in this room provided more breadth. A counter separated the northernmost part from the rest of the room, and several glass cases containing assorted widgets filled the remainder of the room, along with a single bot poised in an offensive stance on the east side of the room. It was the door behind the counter that captured their attention, however. The handle moved, but the door did not open.

iko and Ward pulled up their terminals, and both were surprised by what they found.

"I've never seen code like this before," Ward said. "Have you?"

iko shook his head, but then he realized he might not be seen in the dark. "Never. It's... complicated." Complicated was an understatement. The code was elaborate, a masterpiece. So much so that the glaring flaw in it stood out plainly. "But we can spoof it to let hackers through."

"Nobody writes code this elaborate and overlooks a backdoor like that," Ward said. Still, with nothing else to do, the two manipulated the code.

Ward walked to the door and opened it. Beyond was... darkness. It was the same as Rex had described in the upstairs room. Star strode forward undeterred, but as she tried to take a step past the threshold, she found the door closed in front of her. Something halfway between a scowl and a whimper escaped her throat. Ward stared down at the spot where he had been holding the handle and found his hand empty.

"Guess you two are on your own if you're going inside," she said. "I might go catch up with the other acrobats and see if they found anything."

Heading out of the room, she left iko and Ward to decide whether or not to go into the room. The door would open for them, and even though it wouldn't allow a non-hacker to pass through, they were certain it would stay open for them.

[You are free to move to any known location in this dungeon that is accessible based on your trait. Command?

Party 1: TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 7/23 Energy 6/9
Party 2:
Ward: Sparks 28/28 Energy 4/5, iko: Sparks 12/28 Energy 7/10
Party 3: Rexozord: Sparks 13/33 Energy 5/7]

Acrobats-only

"Who said anything about dying? Star will be here in a few moments and it'll be three-on-one," Traj lied, projecting an air of confidence. Did their foe see their fear, he wondered?

Turning to the figure, Blacjak said, "Who are you, and what do you gain by fighting us?"

"I'm the Ordnance Sergeant," the figure said, "and trespassers make fair sport." Whoever this person was, they seemed content to wait for Star to join the battle.

[A dark figure approaches. Command?

Blacjak: Sparks 17/28 Energy 4/5, Trajectory: Sparks 8/28 Energy 7/10]

Edited by Shattered Rift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iko attempts to stealth around the dark room by rubbing against the wall and feeling for anything interesting; specifically a light switch.

Edited by Bed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping her own council, as she did most occasions, Star gave the trait-specific door a secret smile and turned to leave on silent steps.

run_command!Path_AcrobatWae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for commands from: Rexozord and Ward. Optionally, Trajectory and Blacjak may add additional role playing before Star reaches them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acrobats-only

Star surprised herself by how easily she surmounted the platforms. The obstacle course stirred something within her. This kind of movement was something she knew. Had she always known it? A thought of socks flickered through her mind. Yes, it would be easier to move with socks. Her mental reflection was shortly broken when she reached Blacjak and Trajectory. And their foe.

"At last," the figure said, spreading arms wide and low. Star was given no explanation, no time to do more than notice Blacjak and Traj stiffen and prepare for combat. "Shall we begin?" Lifting a hand, the figure gestured them to make a move.

[A dark figure approaches. Command?

Both of your parties are currently separate. If you would like to combine, please give instruction on placements.

Party 1: Blacjak: Sparks 17/28 Energy 4/5, Trajectory: Sparks 8/28 Energy 7/10
Party 2: TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 7/23 Energy 6/9]

Hackers in the Dark

Waiting for commands from Ward. I can run a mini-update tomorrow if Ward gets his command in by then.

[Ward: Sparks 28/28 Energy 4/5, iko: Sparks 12/28 Energy 7/10]

Leaders Gotta Lead

The others left for the door, and Rex ascended the stairs once again. How had they gotten to this place, he wondered? Was it abandoned, left alone in the dark and forgotten? Why could he only interact with a few parts of it? That was the most troubling thought of all. The items here held value, but was there value if they couldn't be moved? Was that why it was forgotten?

He stepped through the darkness of the door, and on the other side, he found he could see. The darkness had been just a barrier, and this place was lit as poorly as everywhere else. A figure stood staring him down from a few paces away, and a console filled the west side of the room in front of a large window that looked out into the room they had started in. But he made no movement. The figure stood in front of a table, nothing separating the two of them but a short distance of space.

"We are the Pax Regia," the figure said sternly, "and you are trespassing in our domain." Rex noticed the holstered pistol a moment before the figure reached for it. He was outmatched and alone, but he would fight.

[An Unknown Phoenix approaches. Command?

Rexozord: Sparks 13/33 Energy 5/7]

Edited by Shattered Rift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star's fingers quickly brought up her console, wiggling through menus via habit as her gaze never left the individual she found with Traj and that one guy.

"Uh, why are we fighting again?" Who thought this was a good idea? "And I swear if you say something about 'trespassing,'" She started to threaten the dark figure across from them but with an irritated shake of her head continued with, "I'm going to have to ask you to take it up with that Script Kiddie you hired to eff up the Mansion. I don't want to be here any more than you or whoever you work for wants me here, I can promise you that."

run_command!Party_1/Formation/Slot_3

run_command!Posture/DelayInevitableByDialogue/MaybeItWillWork/IsThisGuyCapableOfReason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now