Shattered Rift

Sparkbomb: Mansionverse Saga

Why me you jerks?  

Star pursed her lips, injuries for the moment ignored, watching as the other enemies fell with no small amount of irritation before running down the hall towards the weapons cache that had been mentioned.

Hearing the admin's voice, she scoffed light-heartedly and PM'd a reply.

"Tch. I'm a Duelist, apparently, Rifters. Doesn't that just scream 'always has weapons on-hand?'" And it's not like you offered me your sword. ...it's not like I asked for it either though.

Catching sight of iko and Nebiros beginning their engagement with a set of the oncoming enemies, Star shifts her focus to the second encounter with a slanted grin.

Come at me, bros.

run_command!Battle/Encounter_B/Attack/Webcrawler

Traj jogged along to keep up, leaving the wreckage of the previous encounter without a backward glance. He eyed Star's wounds with a wince. 

"Yeah.... we're not doing that."

[Battle Formation - switch spots with Star (Accept? Y/N)]

Traj rolled his eyes at Rift's reminder. "We know," he drawled, tossing and catching a snowball in his left hand as he eyed the enemies in front of them, "but some equipment is better than none. We can't all have fancy silver swords, y'know."

With the damage they were taking, though - Traj hadn't missed that crit on Nebiros; Hope she's doing okay,, it would be better to end these battles quickly. To that end, Traj took aim at the Spambot in front of his party and threw. 

[Action - Item; Snowball]

[Target - Spambot, Encounter B]

Desire: Become a ninja

Username: Blacjak

Desired Class: Bruiser

Trait: Acrobat

Having heard something interesting was going on at the Mansion, Blacjak logged in for the first time in awhile, only to find himself cut off by a mass of bots flooding across the front lawn. Instinctively he reached for his weapons, only to find he'd been stripped of everything he'd acquired over the years. Something was very wrong indeed, but by the sound of combat up ahead he figured it shouldn't be too hard to reach someone who could give him answers. Blacjak stretched his arms and sighed before dashing towards the bots, springing over their backs, and muttering "I am the wind, I am the wind, I am the w..hy is the door so far from spawn?"

Move- The Front Door

Command: Attack Iko's target, if none exist, attack Nebiros' target.

Also Command: Put Nebiros in the back of the party assuming Sam is cool with that.

Seeing Nebiros hurt, Khem jumped ahead of her to defend her from any future blows. No reason for her to die so easily when he could protect the maiden. "Don't worry, I'll protect you M'lady," Khem laughs mockingly through his own words.

((Just so everyone knows, there's a couple of errors in the spark counts. I've already informed Rift, but basically Star has more sparks than shown last update and Rex (yeah, me) has less.))

Pre-Battle: Rex uses one Fused Spark Mini on himself and one on Star.
Rex attacks Spambot.
Auto-Battle: Rex attacks.
Recommendation: Star should stay in slot 3.

[Thank you Rex for catching the errors.]

Team Piracy

iko moves to the front of the party while Nebiros withdraws to the back. [Following Bed's command for iko to swap spots with Nebiros seems like the best interpretation of the party's collective commands.]
Nebiros used a Fused Spark Mini. Recovered 9 Sparks.

Webcrawler crawls all over Khem. 6 damage.
iko throws a Snowball at Spambot. 9 damage.
Nebiros attacks Spambot. 4 damage.
Spambot attacks iko. 9 damage.
Khem attacks Spambot. 4 damage. Deleted!

Auto-Battle!

Webcrawler crawls all over Khem. 4 damage.
Khem attacks Webcrawler. 7 damage.
iko attacks Webcrawler. 6 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers gain 2 XP!

Traveling West, South...

The Mafia Forum was spartan compared to most of the Mansion's rooms, being furnished with a single large table. The weapons cache--several objects lying on the table--were waiting to be claimed. However, three arachnids were scurrying along the floor between the party and their objective.

[WebcrawlerABC approach.
iko: Sparks 15/24 Energy 7/7, Khem: Sparks 9/24 Energy 7/7, Nebiros: Sparks 10/28 Energy 5/5]

Team Science Project

Rexozord used a Fused Spark Mini. Recovered 9 Sparks.
Rexozord used a Fused Spark Mini on TheLastStarMaker. Recovered 6 Sparks.

thelaststarmaker attacks Webcrawler. 9 damage.
Webcrawler runs all around. Speed boosted.
Trajectory throws a Snowball at Spambot. 10 damage.
Spambot attacks Rexozord. 5 damage.
Rexozord attacks Spambot. 4 damage.

[Spambot, Webcrawler remain.
Rexozord: Sparks 17/28 Energy 5/5, Trajectory: Sparks 24/24 Energy 7/7, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 16/20 Energy 6/6]

The Wind

[Blacjak
Username: Blacjak
Level 1 Bruiser
Member ID #007
Title: Bruiser
Trait: Acrobat
Max Sparks: 24, Energy: 4, Charges: 0
Strength: 6, Stamina: 6
Talent: 4, Nerve: 4
Speed: 4
XP: 0, Sparks: 0
Equipment: None
Inventory: Empty]

The several bots lining the front path between Blacjak and the Mansion's front door was not the sight he had expected to see upon logging in. The shambling bots were no match for his superior acrobatics--or so he believed, and he was yet to be proven wrong--but an eight-legged foe scurrying along the door did bar his path.

[Webcrawler approaches.
Blacjak: Sparks 24/24 Energy 4/4
]

Edited by Shattered Rift

"Tch." Star scoffed, raising an eyebrow at Traj-- "Watch me." --and not moving from her position from in front of him.

"I can take hits from these guys better than you can and--Hey!" Star took sight of the healing animation shiver its way around her, watching it fizzle. "--if I'm gonna get deleted, I'd just as soon get it done with early, while I'm wiped, when it doesn't matter quite so much." And maybe I'm just a little curious as to what happens given the strangeness of the day.

Darting into melee range again, Star feels her left hook connect before she backpedals out of the way again, preparing for a second go.

"You know, I really would have thought the team with the only Hacker would have gone to take care of that door the admin mentioned." She watched said team scramble into the cache room as she went in for another shot--err, punch.

run_command!Battle/Encounter_B/Attack/Webcrawler

run_command!Auto-Battle/Attack

I'm going to again ask that each of you keep track of your party's status line to ensure that things aren't getting missed. While a portion of the battle system is automated, much of it (including adding or deducting Sparks) is not.

For example, I only just realized that I missed this post of Star's and that I've mistakenly had her in the back of her party's lineup for the past three updates. As this has caused her to take two attacks that Traj would have eaten, I'm going to leave Spark counts as they are and quietly move Star back to her position in second. This is also a reason that it's helpful to have all of your commands together at the start or end of your post, so I don't have to skim through role plays while gathering commands.

Meanwhile, re: Auto-Battle...

Auto-Battle is a game feature where, in a simplified battle state, I continue the battle through to completion. Usually this means if there's only one enemy remaining (or if you're significantly stronger than an existing enemy group), I'll run additional round(s) with normal attacks. Auto-Battle isn't a guaranteed event, as I will defer from it if my schedule disallows (particularly as player count and battle complexity grow), if a player is in critical Sparks (in danger of dying), or for other potential reasons.

Edited by Shattered Rift

Nebiros' eyes rolled so far back she swore she could've seen the inside of her skull. "M'lady me again, boyo. Your life is in my hands as the only person on this team rocking some of these Spark Minis at the mo'." All threats to deny health were totally empty though. She pulled a Fused Spark Mini out, using it on Khem. "Mind, I now only have one more of these, so uh... let's all not die."

Nebiros had definitely overheard Star's comment, giving a wink and finger-guns in response as Team Piracy made their way into the Mafia Forum. The team with the only Hacker could deal with the barrier after they got some sweet, sweet weapons. Yeah, okay, sure, the mansion was maybe being overrun by robots with a crazed Hacker at the helm, but what was actually the rush?? #prioritiestotallyinorder

PreBattle: FS.Mini -- Target: Khem

BattleAttack WebcrawlerA

"Welp," Blacjak cracked his knuckles, "only one of us is making it out of this one, and I don't plan on dying yet!"

Attack: Webcrawler Door

[Action - Posture]

Unsurprised, Traj rolled his eyes - the offer was made, it was up to Star to take it. 

He eyed both bots; if Rex went for the Spambot, both enemies were likely down this turn. 

"I dunno who engineered these buckets of bolts, but they did a really ######ty job."

As the team moved, iko thought about Star's comment and Nebiros' prompt finger guns.

Were they talking about me? thought iko. iko started to feel a little self conscience. He looked around to make sure nobody was looking at him. Then he patted himself.

What am I? iko fell into deep thoughts... about his identity, about his past life. Who am I?

He was pretty sure he had 'hacker' in his genes, as suggested by Star, but he really didn't know what that meant.

iko wanted to sit aside and self reflect on himself. But his self conscientiousness prevented him from doing so - it would be too uncool of him. Instead, he darted his eyes around once more and then stared off into the distance while walking.  He became emotionless, dummy-like, and cold. He was lost in his own thoughts.

The incoming enemy Webcrawlers did not snap iko out of his daze. iko then acted out of instinct, attacking the three Webcrawlers.

Attack: WebcrawlerABC, or WebcrawlerA(If it really is 3 separate enemies, or 1 unit that looks like 3 enemies.)

Provisional: If sparkmini heals Khem and he has higher sparks than iko, switch party position with Khem.

Edited by Bed

Still awaiting commands from: Khem and Rex.

Update is scheduled for tonight.

3 hours ago, Bed said:

Attack: WebcrawlerABC, or WebcrawlerA(If it really is 3 separate enemies, or 1 unit that looks like 3 enemies.)

Three separate enemies as part of one group or party of enemies. (This kind of thing will matter once characters have Abilities that target groups.) The letter notation is used to distinguish them.

Edited by Shattered Rift

Team Piracy

As the trio prepared to go through the door into the Mafia Forum, Khem stopped moving.

“Get a move on, bro,” Nebiros said, nudging her teammate forward, “I ain't waitin' around for Team Can't Keep Up to take my shiny new weapon.”

Khem remained still.

“I think he went inactive,” iko said.

Nebiros gulped audibly, looking through the doorway at the three metallic arachnids. The fight was going to be difficult enough for the three of them, and without Khem they were sure to be outmatched.

[Zen's having some health issues and needs time to recover. Given the circumstances, I decided to forego Nebiros' command to heal him and defer the start of this battle. Read on to Team Science Project, where your reinforcements will arrive.]

Team Science Project / Weapons Cache Get

Webcrawler crawls all over TheLastStarMaker. 7 damage.
TheLaststarmaker attacks Webcrawler. 7 damage. Deleted!
Spambot attacks Rexozord. 6 damage.
Rexozord attacks Spambot. 5 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers gain 2 XP!

Traveling West, South...

“I think he went inactive,” iko said. Khem's still body bore a cocky expression, but his inaction suggested the joke would be on him once the weapons cache was claimed.

“Terrible timing,” Rex muttered.

“More weapons for us,” Traj said with a grin.

“I just want my socks,” Star grumbled.

A soft skittering behind them announced the presence of another webcrawler.

[Front A: WebcrawlerABC approach.
Front B: Webcrawler approaches.

All five players may reorganize parties and pre-battle heal as desired. For this encounter, any number of players may take the same front. If multiple parties engage a front, enemies will have an equal chance of targeting each party (and from there have the normal chances of hitting each party member based on position). If an encounter is left unengaged, that enemy(/ies) may freely attack and have a higher rate of criticals. Once a front is cleared, players from that front may engage the other front on the following turn.

The winners and survivors of this battle will claim the weapons cache. If more than three players survive, it'll be up to all of you to determine distribution.

Rexozord: Sparks 11/28 Energy 5/5, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 9/20 Energy 6/6, Trajectory: Sparks 24/24 Energy 7/7
iko: Sparks 15/24 Energy 7/7, Nebiros: Sparks 10/28 Energy 5/5
Khem: Sparks 9/24 Energy 7/7 (Inactive)]

The Wind

Webcrawler crawls all over Blacjak. 7 damage.
Blacjak attacks Webcrawler. 8 damage.

Auto-Battle!

Webcrawler attacks Blacjak. 3 damage.
Blacjak attacks Webcrawler. 11 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers gain 3 XP!

A whirl of silver and gold at the top of the stairs caught Blacjak's attention as Shattered Rift cut down another Spambot. His breath was ragged, and his clothes were ripped and oily.

“A bruiser, good,” Shattered Rift said, relieved. “If you can keep the next one off of me, I can provide some healing for both of us.” He turned to the wall on the right of the elevator and revealed a hidden panel. Blacjak barely had time to take note of the secret cache before the sound of the front doors opening alerted him to his new foe.

[Spambot approaches.

Blacjak: Sparks 14/24 Energy 4/4]

Edited by Shattered Rift

[Engage Front B]

[Use Item - Snowball; Target - Webcrawler]

[Take Position 1]

Traj resisted the urge to poke Khem's inactive form, instead eyeing the Webcrawlers in front of the group. He eyed his snowball stock - two left.

Regardless of his dwindling ammo, though, it made more logical sense to take down the lone baddie and then turn on the single front later.

"The sooner we take these creepy-crawlies down, the sooner we get toys. And I think we're all fans of toys, right?" Traj's grin could cut glass.

"I'm chucking a snowball at the Lone Ranger over there. If one of you guys wants to punch it, that ought to be enough to take it down. Then we can focus on the trio."

iko continues to attack instinctively while his mind is lost in self-reflection hell.

Attack: WebCrawler (Front B )

Edited by Bed

"Sure thing, but I want some answers. What's going on here? I feel as if I'm late to a party I wasn't invited to."

Blacjak rushed the spambot, knocking it back into the door with a powerful flying knee, then performed a front flip in the air in an attempt to bring down a finishing axe kick from above.

Attack: Spambot Door

Eyes scanning their newest opponents, Star notes Traj's move and iko's intention to do the same, leaving them to it in the hopes that their combined efforts would do the trick...

"Whatever we're doing, I suggest we do it fast." She commented aloud as she bounced up and down once before shifting her weight forward in prep for her next attack. "Once these things get moving, even can't get the first hit on them. And that's saying something." She whirled forward with a fist beginning to curl as she moved to uppercut the Webcrawler in the lead.

run_command!Battle/Front_A/Attack/WebcrawlerA

run_command!Auto-Battle/Attack

Weapons Cache Get - Front A

Rexozord used a Fused Spark Mini. Recovered 10 Sparks.
Nebiros used a Fused Spark Mini. Recovered 8 Sparks.

WebcrawlerB attacks Rexozord. 4 damage.
WebcrawlerC runs all around. Speed boosted.
WebcrawlerA runs all around. Speed boosted.
Nebiros attacks WebcrawlerA. 6 damage.
Rexozord attacks WebcrawlerA. 7 damage. Deleted!
thelaststarmaker attacks WebcrawlerB. 7 damage.

[WebcrawlerBC remain.
TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 9/20 Energy 6/6, Rexozord: Sparks 17/28 Energy 5/5, Nebiros: Sparks 18/28 Energy 5/5]

Weapons Cache Get - Front B

Webcrawler attacks Trajectory. 7 damage.
Trajectory throws a Snowball at Webcrawler. 14 damage. Deleted!
iko pokes Webcrawler to make sure it's defeated.

[You may join Front A and declare actions.
Trajectory: Sparks 17/24 Energy 7/7, iko: Sparks 15/24 Energy 7/7]

The Wind

Blacjak attacks Spambot. 8 damage.
Spambot attacks Blacjak. Miss!

Auto-Battle!

Spambot attacks Blacjak. 4 damage.
Blacjak attacks Spambot. Critical! 12 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers receive 3 XP!

Blacjak, known to his fans as "The Wind," proved his title by evading and dispatching the Spambot with fluid movement. He reached the top of the stairs as Shattered Rift finished emptying the cache.

"Good job down there," Shattered Rift said.

"Now can you tell me what's going on?" Blacjak said.

"There's a hacker up in the Irregular Tower," Shattered Rift said, taking the stairs back to the ground floor. Barriers blocked their progress on the second floor... and on much of the first floor too, Blacjak noticed. "About a dozen spambots spawned inside the Mansion before I rerouted them to spawn at the front gate. I've taken down another dozen holding the line here, but protecting the elevator means I can't deal with the hacker. I sent a group to stop him, but they could use the backup."

"What about you?" Blacjak said.

"I can hold the line here if all of you hurry," Shattered Rift said. "This horde can't be limitless."

[Quest received!

Story Quest: Intruder
Primary Objective: Defeat the Script Kiddie
Optional: Recover the Weapons Cache
Optional: Recover the Items Cache
Optional: Disable the Barrier on the 2nd Floor East Hall (Requires Hacker)]

While Shattered Rift explained the situation, three more spambots came through the front door, and one of them quickly headed down the west hallway.

"Go!" Shattered Rift said, handing Blacjak two Fused Spark Minis. "I can deal with these two."

Blacjak receives 2 Fused Spark Minis.

Traveling west...

Blacjak quickly caught up to his prey.

[Spambot approaches.
Blacjak: Sparks 14/24 Energy 4/4
]

Edited by Shattered Rift

Re: Fronts and Parties: It's come to my attention that I may have been unclear in the last update, and I'd also like to mention a bit of game design.

Prior to now, I've used the term "Encounters" to describe separate battles. I used the term "Fronts" in this most recent battle to suggest different parts of the same battle. Geographically, WebcrawlerABC are in the Mafia Forum, and the lone Webcrawler was in the Mafia Lounge, and these two areas are separated by an open door. Given Zen's health issues and Khem's withdrawal, I meant to explain that players would choose one of the two Fronts and create new party arrangements. Once a Front was cleared, the combatants from that Front could move to the other Front (as a second party on that Front).

When I designed the game, I intended for party sizes to be limited at 3 players in a party, making the game about you and up to two teammates fighting a number of enemies (specifically one to six). In designing this Quest, I anticipated the two parties splitting up to tackle different objectives. Instead, you all decided to stick together. While piecing together a battle simulator (which has been a taxing and slow-going project, especially due to outside reasons), I've tried to decide how to address that. I'm reluctant to expand party sizes or the number of characters allowed to participate in one battle. I think this would make battles a less intimate affair. It would also run the risk of battles becoming much more subject to the RNG later on when status effects come into play.

I think difficulty has also impacted this problem, as enemies are much stronger now than they will be as you level up and classes are unlocked. In the two games Mansionverse Saga is based on, enemies are much weaker, and the communities have largely agreed that health and defense are the determining factor for party order (with a couple of exceptions). Front A could have easily gone much worse for all of you, and it was unfair to assume Star would take the front position. However, I also want to maintain the pace of the game, so I assumed that her desire to forego healing would also make it acceptable to follow Rex and Nebiros' position commands.

Just as many of you are getting used to playing a game in this format, I'm also getting used to running it. This is one of the reasons why death penalties will remain minor for this Quest. I appreciate the feedback I've received from several of you, and I also welcome it in this thread so that the community can help to improve the game experience.