Shattered Rift

Sparkbomb: Mansionverse Saga

"Why, yes, in fact there is." Star replied loftily when Rex asked, but said nothing of her hoarding ways and her tendency to always try and carry around one of everything she could get her hands on when it came to items such as the FSMs, continuing to ignore her own injuries as she had been this entire time.

"And 'you're welcome' for my having done so." She spoke up after the last set of hits he took and cheekily stuck her tongue out at him as she pulled the Fused Spark Mini seemingly out of mid-air. "Let's see if we can safely get you back to the front line..." She intended to crush it in her hand and fling the resulting pieces in his direction, hoping to have the opportunity to do so before the next attack struck...

run_command!Inventory/FusedSparkMinis/Use/Rexozord

*run_command!Battle/Attack/WebcrawlerB ((Provisional command, see below))

((*I am fairly certain we established that we can use Items--re: Healing--outside of battle, but since we are already in mid-fight here, I'm going to assume that it will be as with other RPGs where I spend what essentially amounts to being my turn using the item. On the off-chance that my Avatar is fast enough to get in a hit on this round of combat as well, I went ahead and submitted my intended target for an attack as well ^-^))

49 minutes ago, TheLastStarMaker said:

since we are already in mid-fight here, I'm going to assume that it will be as with other RPGs where I spend what essentially amounts to being my turn using the item.

That's correct.

At the start of each battle, you're allowed to enter pre-battle commands to alter party lineup, use healing items/abilities, and other commands that can be entered at this timing. During battles, almost every action will use up that round of combat. The only exception to this (so far) is Shapeshift, which can be used in addition to another command.

"How many of these things are there? And they're all the same, too - like bad 3-D printing. Jeez, dude, a little originality would be nice."

[Attack - Spambot B]

Team Piracy

Nebiros attacks SpambotA. 7 damage. Deleted!
SpambotB attacks Nebiros. 3 damage.
SpambotC attacks iko. 5 damage.
iko attacks SpambotC. 5 damage. Deleted!

Auto-Battle!

Nebiros attacks SpambotB. 8 damage.
iko attacks SpambotB. 5 damage.
SpambotB attacks iko. 5 damage.

iko attacks SpambotB. 6 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers receive 6 XP!

"Thanks," Shattered Rift said, tossing a Fused Spark Mini each to Nebiros and iko.

Nebiros receives a Fused Spark Mini.
iko receives a Fused Spark Mini.

[Please read below to Wrong Place Right Time.

Nebiros: Sparks 11/33 Energy 5/7, iko: Sparks 6/28 Energy 7/10]

Team Science Project

WebcrawlerB attacks Rexozord. 3 damage. Deleted!
TheLastStarMaker swears vengeance on WebcrawlerB.
SpambotA attacks TheLastStarMaker. 5 damage. Deleted!
Trajectory attacks SpambotB. 7 damage.
SpambotB attacks Trajectory. 5 damage.

Rex's vision grayed as Star rushed towards him. The webcrawler had been too fast. Star's vision blurred a moment later at a strike from a spambot. Trajectory watched as his teammates flickered, momentarily becoming ones and zeroes before dissolving. As his enemies circled him, he considered his options.

[SpambotAB, WebcrawlerB remain.

Rexozord and TheLastStarMaker, please read down to Well That Happened.

I need to come up with redirecting rules for when targets are invalid. This is going on my list.

Trajectory: Sparks 7/28 Energy 7/10, Rexozord: Sparks 0/33 Energy 5/7, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 0/23 Energy 6/9]

Wrong Place Right Time

Blacjak attacks SpambotA. 15 damage.
SpambotB attacks Blacjak. 4 damage.
SpambotA attacks Blacjak. 4 damage.
Ward attacks SpambotA. 7 damage. Deleted!

Auto-Battle!

Blacjak attacks SpambotB. 14 damage.
Ward attacks SpambotB. 6 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers receive 4 XP!

Blacjak had taken a couple of hits for Ward, but they had taken down the Spambots without much trouble. They hurried inside, just missing the end of the other battle.

Shattered Rift was seething. He tossed the remaining two Fused Spark Minis to Ward.

Ward receives 2 Fused Spark Minis.

"Can someone tell me what's going on?" Ward said.

"There's a Script Kiddie in the Irregular Tower," Shattered Rift said. "And his hack was powerful enough to cause a mass logout and reset everyone to Level 1 without usergroups."

[Quest received!

Story Quest: Intruder
Primary Objective: Defeat the Script Kiddie
Optional: Recover the Items Cache]

Ward eyed Blacjak's foam bat, evidently eager for something to better break things with.

"Trajectory's in trouble in the Creator's Lounge," Shattered Rift said. "It might be too late to save him, but there's a small cache of Snowballs and Fused Spark Minis in the Art Forum. Or you could make a beeline for the Irregular Tower and put an end to this." His eyes darted to iko and Ward. "On second thought, pull up your terminals." The two hackers quickly did so. "Let's see if we can bring down this barrier..."

All gathered on the lower level, Shattered Rift walked over to the barrier blocking the east hall and pierced it with his silver blade. The Pyro Stick, majestic silver and red and gold, vibrated with the effort of keeping a hole in the barrier. iko and Ward typed away furiously, and the barrier wavered.

"It's a straight shot to the Creator's Lounge from here," Shattered Rift said. "Anyone headed that way, get moving."

[Paths lie open to the East (1st Floor) towards the Creator's Lounge, East (2nd Floor) towards the Primary Objective, and West (1st Floor). Reaching the Creator's Lounge will take one full round. Command?

If Nebiros doesn't check in, she'll be staying behind.

Also, as a bit of a clerical error, I used the incorrect terminology before. Hackers (and also non-hackers) are able to pull up terminals (not consoles) to interface with the environment.

Blacjak: Sparks 20/28 Energy 4/5, Ward: Sparks 24/24 Energy 4/4
Nebiros: Sparks 11/33 Energy 5/7, iko: Sparks 6/28 Energy 7/10]

Well That Happened

"So that's what happens," Star said to herself as she and Rex rematerialized at the front gate. Beside her, Rex was clearly frustrated. The three spambots just ahead only seemed mildly surprised that users had appeared behind them.

[SpambotABC approach.

Your party has been arranged to favor Sparks and defenses. If you would like to change your lineup, please include that with your commands.

Rexozord: Sparks 33/33 Energy 5/7, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 23/23 Energy 6/9]

Edited by Shattered Rift

Star swore viciously under her breath at the Webcrawler who had managed somehow to be faster than her. HER! Unacceptable for Rex to have been deleted. Absolutely ridiculous that such a circumstance--

The internal monologue continued as she brandished her foam bat angrily and rushed towards the first enemy she saw...

run_command!Battle/Attack/SpambotA

Traj narrowed his eyes.

The Webcrawler he could - maybe - take.

The Spambot he'd just hit, he could - probably - down before it attacked him.

All three enemies - including the one he'd expected to go down - at once?

Before the reset and level-down, sure. This wouldn't have been an issue. In his current form?

Not a chance.

Going down fighting here was folly, though. Given the absolute glut of Spambots and Webcrawlers, it wasn't likely that he'd make it all the way back to the Foyer, but Traj was a practiced Acrobat. It was just possible that he'd be able to give these thoughtless creatures the runaround until help arrived.

If help arrived. It wasn't something Traj was sure he could count on, but that wasn't an unusual event in any case. If there was just any way to take these things down one at a time...

[Command - Run]

iko became depressed that both Nebiros and Khem are no longer responding.

"Everyone I meet... seems to disappear," thought iko. He was hopeful for their return, but somehow he felt a big hole in his stomach. iko concluded that he was just hungry, so got a Fused Spark Mini out.

iko uses FSM on self.

iko is requesting to join a party unless Nebiros comes back.

Ward and I will add iko to the party.

"At this point I think its best if we head to the kiddie. The item cache won't give us any significant advantages and will only burn through our hp."

Bash Bros. heads towards the Primary Objective.

iko took notice of Ward and Blacjak and walked slowly toward them. He looked back at Nebiros one last time and started to self-reflect hard. Closing his eyes, iko let out a big sigh and continued his path.

"Nice to meet you. I don't think we've met. I'm iko." He tried to go in for a handshake, but the two were already set on going to the next objective. iko blushed and laughed it off. He followed his new party mates to their next destination.

Announcement

As of this update, the Run command will include a 50% damage reduction during the round it is used.

Bash Bros.

iko uses a Fused Spark Mini. Recovered 10 Sparks.

"At this point I think it's best if we head to the kiddie," Blacjak said. "The item cache won't give us any significant advantages and will only burn through our sparks."

Ward followed, and iko quickly fell in line, heading up the stairs. They passed by Nebiros, who stood unmoving. Like Khem, she had gone inactive. iko wondered if it was his fault. Blacjak hoped that the inactivity had nothing to do with the Script Kiddie. As they headed east, they heard Shattered Rift call up the stairs after them.

"Be careful! Something's stirred up the spambots in the Grand Ballroom, and I think they're headed for the tower."

Traveling East... North...

Arriving at the intersection, they could see four spambots shambling towards them at the far end of the hall. The spambots were split into pairs, and the party would have a moment to engage the first pair before the second arrived.

[You may choose to engage SpambotAB. At the end of the first round, SpambotCD will join the battle. If you choose to forego this encounter you'll have two uninterrupted rounds at your next destination. Also, read below to One-Man Team Science Project for more information that may impact your decision.

Paths lie open toward the East, North, and South. (You came from the South.) The path East leads towards the Primary Objective. Command?

Blacjak: Sparks 20/28 Energy 4/5, Ward: Sparks 24/24 Energy 4/4, iko: Sparks 16/28 Energy 7/10]

One-Man Team Science Project

WebcrawlerB attacks Trajectory. 2 damage.
Trajectory successfully flees!

The webcrawler caught his foot, but Trajectory turned the trip into a roll, quickly covering distance and springing back up to his feet. These spambot clowns were too slow, and the webcrawler seemed to have lost interest in him as well. It would be a shame about that painting, though.

Traveling West...

The red Spark count displayed on his terminal was a bigger problem. Under normal circumstances, a deleted user would respawn at the Mansion's front gate. But in the middle of a hacking, risking his own life was dangerous. Trajectory quickly fired off PMs. "Rex?" "Star?"

"Run west," Shattered Rift said over coms, as if in response. Traj complied, sprinting down the hall.

Traveling West...

The barrier ahead flickered, held at bay by a vibrating silver blade. Trajectory barreled through it, slowing down as he passed through it as if moving through water. As soon as he was on the other side, the Pyro Stick rocketed out of Shattered Rift's grip, clanging against the opposite wall.

Shattered Rift uses a Fused Spark Mini on Trajectory. Recovered 9 Sparks.

"That's my last one," Shattered Rift said, calmly walking over to recover his weapon. "Blacjak, iko, and Ward headed upstairs, and Rex and Star should be joining us in a few moments. We've got two options right now: either I can hold the line here or your team can. If it's me, I can hold off another handful of spambots before they get past me and breach the elevator. If it's your team, then I can help keep the bots upstairs off Blacjak's team, and I might be able to do something to disrupt the hack itself.

"What'll it be?"

[Command?

Trajectory: Sparks 14/28 Energy 7/10]

Well That Happened

TheLastStarMaker attacks SpambotA. 11 damage.
Rexozord attacks SpambotA. 8 damage. Deleted!
SpambotB attacks TheLastStarMaker. 4 damage.
SpambotC attacks Rexozord. 3 damage.

[SpambotBC remain.

Please include auto-battle conditions in your commands.

Rexozord: Sparks 30/33 Energy 5/7, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 19/23 Energy 6/9]

Traj grimaced. Standing on one foot, he rubbed his heel with one hand. That Webcrawler had had sharp pincers, damnit. 

"Thanks for the save, Rift," he said, panting a bit. 

"I don't know how many of these 'bots will be showing up, but they don't seem particularly hard to make, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were infinite. You go on ahead - I'll stay here, catch my breath, and meet up with Star and Rex. We'll cover the elevator."

[Command - Rest]

(Any input here is welcome, Rex/Star. I don't particularly want to miss the boss fight, but tactically I think it makes more sense to send Rift. What do you guys think?)

Edited by Trajectory

One thing I want to clarify about Traj's decision: Choosing to have your team stay and defend the parlor will mean foregoing the fight against the Script Kiddie. While this decision is in Traj's hands story-wise, I would recommend consulting with the player base on it.

Move to position one in the party.

Give one FSM to Iko.

Give one FSM to Blacjak.

I will follow whatever direction the party decides to take.

I support your decision Traj. We don't necessarily know how powerful an effect Rift will have on the encounter, but it's description sounds much stronger than only stopping a handful of bots. If you get overwhelmed you could fall back to Rift.

I'm estimating a strength of two groups of 4 bots guarding the kiddie. I'm assuming Rift will end up taking on one of them and any reinforcements while we fight the boss itself.

Traj paused, thinking. 

"Then again, six might be better than four. We'd just have to fight fast, right?"

He looked toward the front gate, where (hopefully) Star and Rex would appear shortly. 

"I actually think it might be better to send the three of us to help. Plus, I have a snowball with this prick's name on it."

Traj's eyes narrowed. 

"We'll go on, I think. You're probably better off away from the hacker in any case - better to have you guys far away from each other, in case you were the real target. Any advice?"

[Command: Boss Battle!]

Bash Bros.

Ward moves to the front of the party.
Ward passes a Fused Spark Mini to iko.
Ward passes a Fused Spark Mini to Blacjak.

"We can outrun them," Blacjak said, starting down the hall to the east, before Shattered Rift's voice came over coms.

"Get to the Irregular Lounge," Shattered Rift said. "Trajectory and his team will be right behind you. Pincer them and you'll tear right through them."

Traveling East... South...

The trio arrived in the Irregular Lounge. For the moment, it was completely normal, very similar to the First Lounge. Normally it was customized, fulfilling whatever whim the community decided. Blacjak could remember a particular day when it had been full of ducks and duck-themed furniture. Seeing it so ordinary was strange indeed.

Soon, the first two spambots arrived, and farther back the other pair was preoccupied with a fight of their own. This would be easy.

[SpambotAB approach. Command?

Ward: Sparks 24/24 Energy 4/4, Blacjak: Sparks 20/28 Energy 4/5, iko: Sparks 16/28 Energy 7/10]

Well That Happened

TheLastStarMaker attacks SpambotB. 9 damage.
Rexozord attacks SpambotB. 9 damage. Deleted!
SpambotC attacks TheLastStarMaker. 5 damage.

Auto-Battle!

TheLastStarMaker attacks SpambotC. 13 damage.
Rexozord attacks SpambotC. 6 damage. Deleted!

Victory! All battlers receive 6 XP!

The duo hurried back inside the Mansion.

[Please read down to Team Science Project.

Rexozord: Sparks 30/33 Energy 5/7, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 14/23 Energy 6/9]

Team Science Project

"We'll go on, I think," Trajectory said. "You're probably better off away from the hacker in any case: better to have you guys far away from each other, in case you were the real target. Any advice?"

"Don't hesitate to use that snowball," Shattered Rift said. "If you can persuade Star to part with hers, or iko to pass you one of his, you should tear through anything that stands in your way. Throwing a better-than-average hit against a spambot will bring it down in one hit. If you get another snowball or two, consider passing your bat off to Ward."

Rexozord and TheLastStarMaker entered the parlor then, and Shattered Rift pointed towards the stairs, where the reunited team hurried past.

"The spambots from the Grand Ballroom are headed towards the Irregular Tower," he said. "Move quick enough and you should be able to pincer them from behind with Blacjak's team in front."

Traveling East... North... East...

Just as Shattered Rift had said, the party caught two spambots unaware, and farther ahead they could hear the sounds of Blacjak and his team engaging their own pair. This would be easy.

[SpambotAB approach. Command?

Please decide upon party order as well.

Trajectory: Sparks 14/28 Energy 7/10
Rexozord: Sparks 30/33 Energy 5/7, TheLastStarMaker: Sparks 14/23 Energy 6/9
]