Sign in to follow this  
Shattered Rift

What extreme sport/activity would you do if there was no danger?

I've been spending time developing the world for Mansionverse Saga, and one question it's led me to is: what sport/activity would be thrilling in a VR environment where the risk is removed?

Some obvious answers are racing (street, motorcycle, off-road) and the different air sports like skydiving and wingsuiting.

What would you choose to do in such an environment? What sport/activity do you admire in real life but avoid due to the inherent risk?

Monster Trucking. Is that a sport?

Synchronize swimming. It's deadly for sure. I admire the spectacle.

The human cannonball. Or even launch someone from a trebuchet, or rocket.

1 hour ago, Bed said:

Monster Trucking. Is that a sport?

Yup, that counts.

1 hour ago, Bed said:

Synchronize swimming. It's deadly for sure. I admire the spectacle.

I didn't know you were into synchronized swimming. I've never really given it much attention even though it probably requires more skill than most dance routines.

Note to self: look into sports that require teams of two or three, sometimes acting in synchronicity.

1 hour ago, Bed said:

The human cannonball. Or even launch someone from a trebuchet, or rocket.

Here we go~! This is definitely something out of the ordinary. And in Sparkbomb flavor, the Human Frisbee.

I kind of made a mistake - synchronized swimming is not something I would participate in, but something I like watching. I think the level of skill for this sport is amazing and one of the most satisfying things to watch.

Human Frisbee - Would it be a someone on top of a Frisbee?

I'd imagine the person to be in the middle, in a ball, and the Frisbee is massive enough to create the necessary lift.

Maybe the competition can be for constructing the vehicle, with requirements that would make it be a Frisbee, and then the winner is chosen based on distance, capable of holding a person, and how much mass it can take. The design has to be capable of interfacing with the launcher of course, which is owned by the MC.

Edited by Bed

UFC and parkour.

Gladiator matches could be super popular, or other war games with firearms.

Edited by Blacjak

On 12/27/2017 at 8:32 AM, Bed said:

Human Frisbee - Would it be a someone on top of a Frisbee?

I'd imagine the person to be in the middle, in a ball, and the Frisbee is massive enough to create the necessary lift.

Maybe the competition can be for constructing the vehicle, with requirements that would make it be a Frisbee, and then the winner is chosen based on distance, capable of holding a person, and how much mass it can take. The design has to be capable of interfacing with the launcher of course, which is owned by the MC.

I don't remember what my original thought was exactly, but I'm now assuming this would be the most vomit-inducing thing possible. It'd give a spectacular view, though.

And doing it as a contest to build the best one would be fun. I'm not sure yet how I'd design something like that, though.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:48 PM, Blacjak said:

UFC and parkour.

Gladiator matches could be super popular, or other war games with firearms.

Don't do you do parkour in real life? I would have thought that you did.

Maybe I should give this some thought beyond what I have so far... as for firearms, how many war games can you think of? Modern FPS gaming pretty well covers things that could be done paintball-style, and Splatoon has introduced the idea of turf. The only unique thing I can think of off-hand is an FPS-style minesweeper or the like.

Sky diving or deep-sea diving.  Little known fact--I cannot swim.  I have not the capability to do anything but sink.  But sub-mariner activity has always interested me despite this.  

Also, I have a mild fear of heights.  And as a result have never set foot on a plane, much less decided to throw open its hatch and jump out of it, mid-flight.

And sense I stopped drinking, I doubt very seriously I will ever come across courage that isn't liquid/chemical to go through with the act of sky diving unless it is in a Virtual scenario.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Little known fact--I cannot swim.  I have not the capability to do anything but sink.  But sub-mariner activity has always interested me despite this.

You're in good company: I don't do very well in water either.

Thanks for bringing up diving. It was something that had crossed my mind but that I'd forgotten about. I feel like we don't see enough underwater sections in games (or when we do see good ones, it includes the crap encounter rate of Pokemon RSE).

1 hour ago, Code said:

Also, I have a mild fear of heights.  And as a result have never set foot on a plane

Really? You've never flown? Sometimes I forget that it's possible for someone to reach adulthood without flying.

1 hour ago, Code said:

And sense I stopped drinking, I doubt very seriously I will ever come across courage that isn't liquid/chemical to go through with the act of sky diving unless it is in a Virtual scenario.

I have to wonder: would skydiving be fun in a virtual setting? I feel like we'd need full sensory VR (ie holodeck) for it to really be enjoyable. With our current technology, it's just a view. Not that I'd entirely mind that: I love a good view.

I literally hear the music from Sonic the Hedgehog water levels when I go too deep into water.

And yeah, never flown. My wife has, but...  I figure at some point I will.  It's not as far fetched as me snapping on a parachute and taking the leap out.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:46 AM, Shattered Rift said:
On 1/2/2018 at 11:03 PM, Code said:

Little known fact--I cannot swim.  I have not the capability to do anything but sink.  But sub-mariner activity has always interested me despite this.

You're in good company: I don't do very well in water either.

Thanks for bringing up diving. It was something that had crossed my mind but that I'd forgotten about. I feel like we don't see enough underwater sections in games (or when we do see good ones, it includes the crap encounter rate of Pokemon RSE).

I also do not swim well. I can't even tread water. But, since I plan to eventually complete an Iron Man sometime in my life, I guess I have to buck it up and learn how to swim...one day.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:46 AM, Shattered Rift said:
On 1/2/2018 at 11:03 PM, Code said:

I have to wonder: would skydiving be fun in a virtual setting? I feel like we'd need full sensory VR (ie holodeck) for it to really be enjoyable. With our current technology, it's just a view. Not that I'd entirely mind that: I love a good view.

Have you tried one of those "indoor skydiving" facilities? I always drive by them, but I assume they will be fun with no risk.

As for myself...

-Cliff-diving (goes along with not swimming well and fear of drowning), but the scenic view looks beautiful
-Shark cage feeding
-Skydiving from some ridiculously high location like the ISS
-Bungee-jumping into a canyon
-Hang-gliding

I just want to fly around in scenic locations.

1 hour ago, Zilary said:

Have you tried one of those "indoor skydiving" facilities? I always drive by them, but I assume they will be fun with no risk.

I'd completely forgotten about them! We have one here in town. One of my friends went for her birthday a year or two back, I think. I definitely need to look into it.

1 hour ago, Zilary said:

-Cliff-diving (goes along with not swimming well and fear of drowning), but the scenic view looks beautiful
-Shark cage feeding
-Skydiving from some ridiculously high location like the ISS
-Bungee-jumping into a canyon
-Hang-gliding

Some good ones in here (especially taking the skydiving to the next level).

Bungee jumping is one of those things I don't understand very well. It just seems all-around insane to me. It might just be that I don't trust a single rope.

Hang gliding actually seems like it would be fairly relaxing.

1 hour ago, Zilary said:

I just want to fly around in scenic locations.

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised that the air sports aren't more popular. It seems like flying is the first and most basic wish people have.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:41 PM, Shattered Rift said:

Don't do you do parkour in real life? I would have thought that you did.

Maybe I should give this some thought beyond what I have so far... as for firearms, how many war games can you think of? Modern FPS gaming pretty well covers things that could be done paintball-style, and Splatoon has introduced the idea of turf. The only unique thing I can think of off-hand is an FPS-style minesweeper or the like.

Yes, but I haven't practiced in a few years. I just thought it would obviously be really popular due to the number of games that already incorporate parkour. Same with FPS games. Just because they exist doesn't mean it wouldn't be super cool to do it in VR, actually using your body instead of a joystick. Turf is decades old, splatoon just made it pretty. Stealth and horror games would do pretty well too I think.

VR isn't quite advanced enough yet to be super emersive for action, but most of these games already exist in VR already. The horror games probably do the best at immersion right now. The real problem holding it back is mobility without using a rolling treadmill.