Shattered Rift

Tabletop Games

Catan is meh, but not THAT bad. I just dislike slow games.

I play a lot of Resistance, Cards Against Humanity (if that counts), Legendary (Marvel themed deck building game), Resident Evil the Deck Building Game, Cosmis Encounter and Android Netrunner.

How are Cosmic Encounter and Android Netrunner? (Android Netrunner's a card game, right?)

Netrunner is like the best card game I have ever played, I just wish it had more of a player base.
Cosmic Encounter is a very good game, the sheer number of characters keeps things fresh as well.

I definitely recommend Betrayal. One of my favorite games hands down. I actually plan on using the game itself to run a one shot tabletop RP campaign where people have to enter the haunted house and see what they find there, but that's more at "idea-status" than anything else right now.

Another game Star mentioned but I'd like to talk about in more detail is Shadow Hunters. I first played this game at A-Kon the first year I went and fell in love with it, but could never find a copy of my own. Then I took a bus to San Diego to visit a friend (in a completely unrelated instance). We happened to go to a game store while we were there, where I finally found a copy of Shadow Hunters and immediately snapped it up.

Shadow Hunters is almost like Werewolf in board game form. Each player has a hidden role (determined by dealing out role cards randomly at the start of the game). This role is one of three factions - the Hunters (the good guys), the Shadows (the bad guys), or the Neutrals (the... neutrals). The Hunters want to kill off the Shadows. The Shadows want to kill off the Hunters (in most cases - if there are exactly seven people playing, the Shadows can also win by killing off all three Neutrals). The Neutrals generally have a personal win-condition they're trying to fulfill. The map is basically six spots on the board - you move by rolling two dice (a d6 and a d4) and going where you roll. A roll of 2 or 3 will put you at the Hermit's Cabin, for instance. Throughout the game you're trying to figure out who people are, so you know who you can attack with impunity and who you should be healing. Information is gathered through card usage - there are three colors of cards, green, white, and black. Black cards are damage cards, white cards are healing/defensive (generally), but green cards are special. These are "Hermit Cards". When you draw a Hermit Card, it will have a statement on it like "I think you're a Hunter! If you are, take 1 damage! If not, nothing happens!" There are all sorts of statements, but they all apply to what a person might be. When you draw the card, you read what it says privately, to yourself, and then pass it to the person you want to know about. That person reads the card and has to follow what it says truthfully - in the above case, if you gave the card to a person playing a Hunter, that person would have to take 1 damage. Thusly, you know that they took a damage (and are a Hunter) - everyone else at the table knows simply that they took a damage. Once you know that person is a Hunter you can start playing accordingly.

That's basically the way the game is played. It's a lot of fun.

RIFT:  It was a bit of both, in equal parts.  For one thing, I played with all my alcoholic friends, and they decided to add some liquor into my scenario.  It was hilarious but frustrating around the third or fourth scenario we tried to play.  It's kind of difficult to fill a DMing role for the first time and deal with drunks at the same time.  Lesson learned, message received.  The Journey doesn't really use the full character sheet that D&D uses, we use stats mainly for combat, and there are no modifiers.  We determine most of the exploration aspect via dice rolls, without modifiers as well.  But the system is still the same aside from that.

I remember someone hosting Betrayal at House on the Hill on a forum, probably Sparkbomb or NCW.  I remember I didn't sign up because of limited spots and lots of other people wanting to play, but following the game was really fun.

Catan is meh, but not THAT bad. I just dislike slow games.

I play a lot of Resistance, Cards Against Humanity (if that counts), Legendary (Marvel themed deck building game), Resident Evil the Deck Building Game, Cosmis Encounter and Android Netrunner.

How are Cosmic Encounter and Android Netrunner? (Android Netrunner's a card game, right?)

Cosmic Encounter is good with the right group. It has a lot of the same issues that concern me with catan (highly luck driven, a lot of politics...) but you get to play with fun alien powers that make every game different so that's cool.

Netrunner is pretty cool. I haven't played much, but it seems like a pretty well designed game and if you enjoy games like Magic it gives you the same deck construction fun without the "gotta buy random packs and hope you get the best cards to win" thing.

I remember someone hosting Betrayal at House on the Hill on a forum, probably Sparkbomb or NCW.  I remember I didn't sign up because of limited spots and lots of other people wanting to play, but following the game was really fun.

It was old Sparkbomb. Steev hosted. Ethics ended up being the traitor (it was the shadows-move-on-their-own haunt), and I ended up winning as the only surviving explorer.

I really, REALLY want to see Betrayal played on the forum...

In lieu of remaining on-topic and not just spamming that I really really really want to see Betrayal played on the forum, has anyone played Atmosfear besides Traj and I? It's this crazy interactive board game that you basically race against a timer on a video that you're watching (VHS or DVD depending on the edition of the game) in an attempt to collect keys to unlock the Well of Fears and defeat The Gatekeeper.

Also, how many different versions of Clue have people played? My favorite by far is Clue FX, though I really like the DVD version that Traj and I have played together. I've basically gotten to where I don't enjoy original Clue because of the whole roll-the-die-and-hope-you-don't-get-a-one,-but-I-get-a-one-every-time game mechanic.

There's also this Clue-like card game? that Traj has that I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. You pass n + 1 cards to the left or something each round of play. It's like Clue, but without having to move to different rooms. It also adds in like time of day and motive for the killer. 

Oh, and another one that Traj has which is like where you're supposed to be killing Mr. Body? Like you move around the house picking up weapons and stuff, but you can't attack him except when no one else can see you?

Edited by TheLastStarMaker

There's also this Clue-like card game? that Traj has that I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. You pass n + 1 cards to the left or something each round of play. It's like Clue, but without having to move to different rooms. It also adds in like time of day and motive for the killer. 

Oh, and another one that Traj has which is like where you're supposed to be killing Mr. Body? Like you move around the house picking up weapons and stuff, but you can't attack him except when no one else can see you?

The Clue-esque card game is Alias, which we won't be able to play again until I get copies made of the notepad pages. The other one is Kill Doctor Lucky.

I've been meaning to try Descent, my cousin/roommate has the first and second edition, along with every expansion, and we've just never found the time to play, or more people to join us.

I've been playing Warhammer 40k for a couple of years, I'm guessing nobody here is insane enough to be into that? 

Other than that, I've been playing a whole lot of board games and, in general, a ton of strategy games with a couple of friends. For the past couple of weeks we've been playing Star Trek: Attack Wing. I've never watched Star Trek, personally, but I love the way the game is made. Simple, fun, yet a whole lot of room for strategy.

I've been meaning to try Descent, my cousin/roommate has the first and second edition, along with every expansion, and we've just never found the time to play, or more people to join us.

I've only played 2nd edition.

I've been playing Warhammer 40k for a couple of years, I'm guessing nobody here is insane enough to be into that? 

Other than that, I've been playing a whole lot of board games and, in general, a ton of strategy games with a couple of friends. For the past couple of weeks we've been playing Star Trek: Attack Wing. I've never watched Star Trek, personally, but I love the way the game is made. Simple, fun, yet a whole lot of room for strategy.

I saw a lot of Warhammer action during my time doing Yu-Gi-Oh, but I never got into it. Are you the type that gets into it for the painting, or do you do it more for the gameplay? (I think those are the two groups of people that trend towards it?)

Which board games? Any recommendations to add to the list?

I didn't notice Star mentioned Level 7, it's a pretty solid co-op game, the rules take a bit of time to explain though.

I really want to try Pandemic.

So, Kit (who has yet to reregister) picked up Race for the Galaxy yesterday, and I had the chance to give it a go with him. Once the iconography makes sense, it's pretty easy to play. I've mentioned before that I'm not particularly big on card games, but if anyone wants an indirectly competitive space empire game, Race fits the bill. Players only impact each other based on the "phase" they choose (determining one of the events that happens each turn), but there's nothing else that directly impacts your opponent.

Keep in mind, those are just some early thoughts based on a single game while we were still figuring out the rules. (I ended up crushing Kit pretty hard, and that was even after I forgot to get some free draws based on one of my resources.) I'll definitely be playing it with him again sometime, and I'll be sure to mention if I have any additional thoughts later. We're just playing the base game: there are three or four expansions.

Race is fun but suffers a lot from being multi-player solitaire. i prefer more interaction in my games.

Has anyone played Eclipse?

Clucky, I'm agreeing with you quite bit now that I've played a few rounds of Race. I still don't get the strategy of the game (Kit's beating me consistently, which is a rarity), but it seems like there's a very limited impact I can have by controlling a phase.

I bought The Resistance, Mascarade, and Citadels at A-Kon. The Resistance especially is a pretty good social deduction game.

Let's see.  Games we play with great frequency here include Settlers of Catan, Pandemic (w/Expansion), Smash Up, Munchkin, Betrayal, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, and Ticket to Ride.  They're all very good games in their own way.

I would agree with the criticism that has popped up here about Settlers, however.  It's a fairly common occurrence to get boxed in and/or have the rolls not go your way.  I think the last game we played didn't have a single '9' rolled the entire game.

Also, I could probably be convinced to host a board game--Betrayal or Pandemic would be the best bets.

EDIT: Oh...The Resistance was tried, but failed with my local group.  I think it could be good, but we had a player who kind of phoned it in and it became quickly obvious who the baddies were.  But a nice large 10-player forum game?  I think that could go quite well.

Edited by Steev

Rift has directed me to this thread as I mentioned I was a regular at board gaming on another thread. I have a board game group in my community that usually plays every Thursday night. Most games we play are found on BGG's hot list. We usually do 2 high-strategy games (2-3 hours each game) and finish with a "lighter" 30-minute game (No Thanks, Sushi Go, Love Letter, Smash Up, King of Tokyo, Augustus, etc.)

For me, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin and Dominion are "gateway" games into the games I play. They're great games and I enjoy playing them, but my board gaming group has moved beyond that. The next level, I see Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid (what Monopoly should have been we joke), Castles of Burgundy, Carcassonne, and 7 Wonders (one of my top favorites of all time and can be played with any group of people. Takes 30 mins - 1 hour tops). Recently, we've been playing Lewis & Clark, Age of Industry, Russian Railroads, Cinque Terre, and Splendor. One member of my board game group usually provides the games as he pretty much gets new games the moment they come out and watch them rise on the BGG list.

Aside from this board gaming group, I have a more "social" tabletop group. With this group, high-strategy works not as well because those are usually limited to 4-6 players and there are just some characters in the group which many, many rules will cause tension, takes too much time to remind/explain again, and it's simply not fitting. This is the group that Munchkin works very well in. Other games I've played with this group: 7 Wonders, Cards Against Humanity, Wits and Wagers, Love Letter, Story War, Once Upon a Time, Gloom (LOVE this game), and Resistance.

I typically do not like co-op games, but I have played them. The reason I don't like them is because there tends to be 1-2 people who rise up to be the main strategists/leaders and direct everyone else in the group, which is fine and may be a result of those I play with, but personally not my style of gaming. My recommendations: Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Desert, Robinson Crusoe (VERY many layers), Flash Point...and those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, if you're not a fan of it already, I highly recommend Wil Wheaton's Tabletop show on Geek & Sundry on YouTube. I believe they're going into their 3rd season (which was very successfully backed on Indiegogo). It's a great way to get introduced to new games and understand how gameplay works and actually watch a game be played out. Even though they are limited on what type of games to play (time, easy for viewers to follow, etc.), I would say I have played most of the games on the show and Wil picks great games.

As for D&D, I haven't crossed over to that yet. The closest I have gotten is Mice & Mystics and Lords of the Waterdeep (excellent game, probably one of the first games I learned when I joined my board game group).

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. I am open to giving suggestions and assessing the dynamic of groups, types of games they like and recommending new games (which I've done for many of my coworkers and friends who don't frequently play board games or are as invested as I am, but when they do they ask me for board game gifts for their spouses and kids). Would it help if I post what games I play each Thursday and my takes on it?