Shattered Rift

Tabletop Games

I tend to play more casually.
I have Resistance, Munchkin, Catan (hardly play it anymore), Cosmic Encounter, City of Horror, CAH, Coup (newer game set in the same universe as Resistance) and a few other games games as well. I've been meaning to pick up Gloom and Pandemic for awhile now, and I hear Spartacus is fantastic.

Rift has directed me to this thread as I mentioned I was a regular at board gaming on another thread. I have a board game group in my community that usually plays every Thursday night. Most games we play are found on BGG's hot list. We usually do 2 high-strategy games (2-3 hours each game) and finish with a "lighter" 30-minute game (No Thanks, Sushi Go, Love Letter, Smash Up, King of Tokyo, Augustus, etc.)

For me, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin and Dominion are "gateway" games into the games I play. They're great games and I enjoy playing them, but my board gaming group has moved beyond that. The next level, I see Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid (what Monopoly should have been we joke), Castles of Burgundy, Carcassonne, and 7 Wonders (one of my top favorites of all time and can be played with any group of people. Takes 30 mins - 1 hour tops). Recently, we've been playing Lewis & Clark, Age of Industry, Russian Railroads, Cinque Terre, and Splendor. One member of my board game group usually provides the games as he pretty much gets new games the moment they come out and watch them rise on the BGG list.

Aside from this board gaming group, I have a more "social" tabletop group. With this group, high-strategy works not as well because those are usually limited to 4-6 players and there are just some characters in the group which many, many rules will cause tension, takes too much time to remind/explain again, and it's simply not fitting. This is the group that Munchkin works very well in. Other games I've played with this group: 7 Wonders, Cards Against Humanity, Wits and Wagers, Love Letter, Story War, Once Upon a Time, Gloom (LOVE this game), and Resistance.

I typically do not like co-op games, but I have played them. The reason I don't like them is because there tends to be 1-2 people who rise up to be the main strategists/leaders and direct everyone else in the group, which is fine and may be a result of those I play with, but personally not my style of gaming. My recommendations: Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Desert, Robinson Crusoe (VERY many layers), Flash Point...and those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, if you're not a fan of it already, I highly recommend Wil Wheaton's Tabletop show on Geek & Sundry on YouTube. I believe they're going into their 3rd season (which was very successfully backed on Indiegogo). It's a great way to get introduced to new games and understand how gameplay works and actually watch a game be played out. Even though they are limited on what type of games to play (time, easy for viewers to follow, etc.), I would say I have played most of the games on the show and Wil picks great games.

As for D&D, I haven't crossed over to that yet. The closest I have gotten is Mice & Mystics and Lords of the Waterdeep (excellent game, probably one of the first games I learned when I joined my board game group).

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. I am open to giving suggestions and assessing the dynamic of groups, types of games they like and recommending new games (which I've done for many of my coworkers and friends who don't frequently play board games or are as invested as I am, but when they do they ask me for board game gifts for their spouses and kids). Would it help if I post what games I play each Thursday and my takes on it?

Quoting this whole post for truth.

Did you like Mice and Mystics? I've heard mixed reviews about it (or rather, heard it was good and then talked to a friend who said it was terrible)

Also other good group games Dixit (surprised this wasn't on your list given you hit most of the other big ones) and a new favorite of mine Mascarade which is the game Coup should've been.

Rift has directed me to this thread as I mentioned I was a regular at board gaming on another thread. I have a board game group in my community that usually plays every Thursday night. Most games we play are found on BGG's hot list. We usually do 2 high-strategy games (2-3 hours each game) and finish with a "lighter" 30-minute game (No Thanks, Sushi Go, Love Letter, Smash Up, King of Tokyo, Augustus, etc.)

For me, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin and Dominion are "gateway" games into the games I play. They're great games and I enjoy playing them, but my board gaming group has moved beyond that. The next level, I see Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid (what Monopoly should have been we joke), Castles of Burgundy, Carcassonne, and 7 Wonders (one of my top favorites of all time and can be played with any group of people. Takes 30 mins - 1 hour tops). Recently, we've been playing Lewis & Clark, Age of Industry, Russian Railroads, Cinque Terre, and Splendor. One member of my board game group usually provides the games as he pretty much gets new games the moment they come out and watch them rise on the BGG list.

Aside from this board gaming group, I have a more "social" tabletop group. With this group, high-strategy works not as well because those are usually limited to 4-6 players and there are just some characters in the group which many, many rules will cause tension, takes too much time to remind/explain again, and it's simply not fitting. This is the group that Munchkin works very well in. Other games I've played with this group: 7 Wonders, Cards Against Humanity, Wits and Wagers, Love Letter, Story War, Once Upon a Time, Gloom (LOVE this game), and Resistance.

I typically do not like co-op games, but I have played them. The reason I don't like them is because there tends to be 1-2 people who rise up to be the main strategists/leaders and direct everyone else in the group, which is fine and may be a result of those I play with, but personally not my style of gaming. My recommendations: Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Desert, Robinson Crusoe (VERY many layers), Flash Point...and those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, if you're not a fan of it already, I highly recommend Wil Wheaton's Tabletop show on Geek & Sundry on YouTube. I believe they're going into their 3rd season (which was very successfully backed on Indiegogo). It's a great way to get introduced to new games and understand how gameplay works and actually watch a game be played out. Even though they are limited on what type of games to play (time, easy for viewers to follow, etc.), I would say I have played most of the games on the show and Wil picks great games.

As for D&D, I haven't crossed over to that yet. The closest I have gotten is Mice & Mystics and Lords of the Waterdeep (excellent game, probably one of the first games I learned when I joined my board game group).

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. I am open to giving suggestions and assessing the dynamic of groups, types of games they like and recommending new games (which I've done for many of my coworkers and friends who don't frequently play board games or are as invested as I am, but when they do they ask me for board game gifts for their spouses and kids). Would it help if I post what games I play each Thursday and my takes on it?

Quoting this whole post for truth.

Did you like Mice and Mystics? I've heard mixed reviews about it (or rather, heard it was good and then talked to a friend who said it was terrible)

Also other good group games Dixit (surprised this wasn't on your list given you hit most of the other big ones) and a new favorite of mine Mascarade which is the game Coup should've been.

I have mixed feelings about Mice & Mystics. I played it with my Thursday group, and they weren't a fan of it (too much story and co-op). I think I would like it more if the people I played with got more into the role-play. I would like to give it another try, but I have yet find the right group to play it with.

Oh yeah, I love Dixit! I completely forgot about that game. Someone in our group has the super old school version where the bunnies are hopping around on the rocks and keeping score was a pain because the bunnies kept being be knocked over. I need to get myself a copy of the newer version where the scoreboard is easier to navigate.

I heard about Mascarade, but I don't think anyone in our group has it. I would love to try it out. I thought Coup, although fun to play and I enjoyed it, was a bit over-hyped (at least in my gaming circles). It's also one of those games that you need to get the right mix of people for, and there were times I played with the wrong mix of people and it gets...tense.

Shameless plug...I playtested (for almost 1.5 years) this game Ophir that some of my friends created: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justinschaffer/ophir I am VERY biased because I played this game since the beginning and know the rules way too well (as they kept changing on me too), but if you guys are interested, I would like to hear what you guys think of it (I guess as far as the video goes). When the game come out, I have a couple of copies I'm willing to ship as well.

The Bunnies are the best part of Dixit.

Mascarade isn't for everyone. But it keeps the cool parts of Coup (bluffing about what role you have) but adds enough chaos to keep it from getting too tense. If you have people who always take things too seriously / personally its probably not best, but if you want to have a good time (especially after everyone's has a couple drinks because its really easy to shoot yourself in the foot) its a good time. 

way to plug that game after the kickstarter ended  :P

Hey, I wasn't aware of this thread or group of gamers. You can still pre-order it...however, I might actually ship some of my copies out to you guys to try it.

. . .

Gloom (LOVE this game)

. . .

My recommendations: Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Desert, Robinson Crusoe (VERY many layers), Flash Point...and those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

. . .

Would it help if I post what games I play each Thursday and my takes on it?

I appreciate hearing this tier-like breakdown of games. Very informative.

::.Jots down the recommendations.:: I'll need to make some time to look into these. (I also hope I can find my list of games I was giving a hard look at the last time I was up-to-date on this thread.) Thank you, Zilary!

I definitely think it would be cool if you posted thoughts on games here as you play them.

Shameless plug...I playtested (for almost 1.5 years) this game Ophir that some of my friends created: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justinschaffer/ophir I am VERY biased because I played this game since the beginning and know the rules way too well (as they kept changing on me too), but if you guys are interested, I would like to hear what you guys think of it (I guess as far as the video goes). When the game come out, I have a couple of copies I'm willing to ship as well.

Seems neat. It's always nice to have a "clock" on family-oriented games so that you don't fall into the "playing the same game all night" trap. That's not a super huge thing to me, but it was the thing that struck me the most while watching the video. I'm not sure I'm the type of person that would enjoy this game, but I can see the appeal.

Over the last year, I've collected around 15 to 20 board games and started to figure out where my tastes lie. I just received Sentinels of the Multiverse yesterday and I absolutely love it. The thematic elements come across really well when you are playing the game as a co-op team of heroes against a villain. I definitely enjoyed it even when we lost and winning felt pretty awesome.

The one game that people don't seem to give a fair chance is Shadow Hunters and that's because the theme and the components seem to offput people who would rather just play Resistance, which we admittedly all love.

I was digging through the threads to find this one.

I came across a Kickstarter for those who like mafia/werewolf/Resistance called "Secret Hitler" that y'all might be interested in. It looks pretty cool and I'm definitely backing. Looks like a good addition to all the other mafia-esque games I already own, but could be better than Avalon/Resistance. :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxtemkin/secret-hitler

Update on the tabletop games my Thursday group is currently playing:

Isles of Skye - Not too shabby. I would say it's like "individual Caracassonne", but the scoring mechanic is what I like best. It changes every game and each turn, different things score.

Between Two Cities - Love it! It's a quick 30 mins-1 hr game, and the mechanic is FANTASTIC. You build these "wonders" with your neighbors and your score is the lowest of your two buildings. It's co-op but not. If you want a stocking stuffer this Christmas, I highly recommend this game. Easy to learn and good amount of strategy as well.

Citadels - An old game, but my group finally got around to playing it. I liked it fine, but the roles tend to let the game drag on a bit.

New York - If you are familiar with Alihambra, it's basically that. You build/tessellate a city by buying them with money on your turn. More-involved strategy, but not too shabby.

Some of the guys went to BGG-con in Texas this past weekend, so there will be an onslaught of new games the next few weeks.

Talk of Resistance in the current game got me thinking of some recent games I've bought and played, which made me look here.

• The Doom That Came to Atlantic City - Bought for a friend who I play games with about monthly. Basically, the board of Monopoly is the backdrop for Great Old Ones trying to destroy the world. Unlike Monopoloy, it doesn't take forever, and you win by being the first to achieve your goal, rather than by elimination. You have Providence cards that buff/debuff, and/or grant persistent abilities your character or can be used to do the same to other players that take the place of Community Chest (and still have a chest pictured, but more sinister). Chants takes the place of Chance, with a mix of effects or things you can do to others at a cost like one-off spells. You fight other players for resources, destroy what you land on instead of buy it, and you have two paths to victory - a Doom card that has a special goal just for you that everyone can read and try to prevent, or simply conquering 6 properties (converting them to gates). There's enhanced movement with both your gates and the neutral gates that replace railroads, and Banishment takes the place of Jail with a neat resource-tied mechanic for getting out of it. The instructions are 16 full pages, and there's whole card sets and tokens that never came up in our game, so it's pretty expansive. The figures seem to be designed for people who like custom painting their figures. Only played one game, but I would definitely play again.
  • Exploding Kittens - Played this with my family, my brother bought and owns it. It's an elimination game where everyone starts out with one defense card and there's one fewer Exploding Kitten cards in the deck than players (and defense cards shuffle the Exploding Kitten back in) so that when you get to the bottom, someone has definitely won. You have various effect cards that give you some good simple strategy to it (reshuffling the deck, skipping your draw, making others draw two, looking ahead, etc.). The Oatmeal's sense of humor is imbued into every card, but surprisingly without being any more upsetting or offensive to anyone than a back hair joke.
  • Monopoly Deal - Card game themed after Monopoly with the same properties, and various things have a card-currency value that can cause you to have to give up cards, but otherwise the play bears little resemblance to the board game. Essentially, you collect properties to get a number of complete sets. Other cards let you charge other players, steal property or money from them, or various other normal card game mechanics like drawing or trading cards. My friend came up with his own variation on this that takes two decks, takes the properties from one of the decks, and increases the number of sets to win, which lengthens it to what seems like a good match for the three of us.
  • Triopoly - My friend who owns this likes Monopoly. If, like most of humanity, you find it drags, run FAR away from Triopoly. Three times the properties, a lot more money, and you can easily spend three times as long as Monopoly. NONE of the accelerators I like that some variants use to fix normal Monopoly.
  • BTTF / Monty Python Fluxx - Cute, fun little game, themed after various things. It's meant to be able to mix decks, but I've only played with single decks. Essentially, the rules change as you play cards. If you're familiar with Nomic games, this is somewhat along those lines, but dumbed down enough to fit on cards that your average player can deal with.
  • Tribbles - Sort of like a cross between CCG and Uno. Only played it once. It was fun, but at the time didn't seem different enough to Uno to be worth the extra work. Now that I've twice run into the weird quirk of Uno where four players can wind up oscillating between very large hands without anyone being able to go out, I'm considering giving it another shot.
  • In the mix but not yet played - Star Trek: Settlers of Catan, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Origin, three of the Ultimate Werewolf variants. From the conversation here, it sounds like Catan will be as bad as it looked and Betrayal will be as good as it looked. 

Obviously, others I didn't mention, but these seemed like the ones worth mentioning.

I dislike Monopoly, a lot. The Doom game sounds interesting, though. I would play if someone else had it.

Exploding Kittens - Russian roulette with cards. I've enjoyed it every time I've played it and glad I backed it on Kickstarter.

Fluxx - For me, this game varies depending on who I'm playing with. It can drag on, but it also can be quick. I have the Pirate version and there's a rule card that causes everyone to talk like a pirate for as long as possible. Depends on the crowd, it either gets trashed immediately or we've drank enough for hilarity to ensue.

Star Trek Catan - Played it. You have characters. Depends on how you feel about regular Catan. I didn't particularly care for it.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill - I recommend finding people who will get into the story to play it. I wouldn't play it with my strategic gaming group, but those who are a little more into story and RPG. It can be fun if you set aside the time willingness to be more involved into the game.

Speaking of RPGs, I played the game T.I.M.E Stories recently. It's a fantastic puzzle-solving RPG game where you go on a mission to a specific with different rooms with a team and try to solve the mystery through talking to people and acquiring objects. The catch is that you can't read off the card and have to remember many clues that will lead to the eventual solve of the puzzle. Every time you fail the mission (time runs out), the game resets but you get to remember what you discovered from the first run-through. Highly complex, but excellent play if you set aside a whole day to play (it took my team 8 hours to finish one story). However, once you play through an entire story, you can't play through it ever again because you already know the answer to the puzzle. We have some gamers in the area that have different story decks and would trade them to play.

I think you will like The Doom That Came to Atlantic City then. It's pretty easy to read into it the Great Old Ones showing up to Monopoly, scoffing at the humans rules, and destroying whatever suits them. My friend and his wife aren't story players, but it is easy to get into character of a malevolent entity destroying a game world.

EDIT: Just played Werewolf Ultimate One Night with the family. I think some elements might be adaptable to play here, but I don't think it would suit our analytical preferences here, and I'm certainly not about to start another game where players don't know their own roles or a way to find them out just yet. :P 

Essentially, for the One Night version, you have your typical roles - Werewolf (knows each other at start), Seer (dreamer - sees someone elses card next), and Villager (PI - does nothing). You have some unique to the game - Robber (steals someone elses role and sees it) and Troublemaker (switches two other players cards without looking at them). There are other roles that can be mixed in like Tanner (jester - get killed to win), but the gist is that after the Robber and Troublemaker turns, you don't know if your own role has been switched with someone else. Fun at a table - caught my mom twice when she implied she switched with me, once when she had, and once when she hadn't. Both times I'd started out as the Werewolf, so both results had me win.

Edited by InuyashaOhki
Played another game.

Oh! I've played Ultimate One Night Werewolf! Did you guys do it through the app?

Yeah, I don't know how that would adapt to the forum very well as everything seemed to be timed at a very quick pace with little analysis. If there's a way we could all play it online simultaneously (Sparkbomb hour?), I'm all up for it.

10 hours ago, Zilary said:

Oh! I've played Ultimate One Night Werewolf! Did you guys do it through the app?

Yeah, I don't know how that would adapt to the forum very well as everything seemed to be timed at a very quick pace with little analysis. If there's a way we could all play it online simultaneously (Sparkbomb hour?), I'm all up for it.

App? :blink:

We played the card game that came with a box, and little round disks that seemed to serve no purpose. I didn't see any mention of an app. The pace wasn't really the issue for analysis, it's just too simplistic. Normally we have a lot of clues to sort through to get a set of moderate hints that can solve the mystery. This has only a few clues that depend on people sharing info that may be to their disadvantage. Ultimately, you're looking at how the other players behave to decide if you can trust them. I don't think it would be worth the effort put in by the one MC'ing it here.

12 hours ago, InuyashaOhki said:

App? :blink:

We played the card game that came with a box, and little round disks that seemed to serve no purpose. I didn't see any mention of an app. The pace wasn't really the issue for analysis, it's just too simplistic. Normally we have a lot of clues to sort through to get a set of moderate hints that can solve the mystery. This has only a few clues that depend on people sharing info that may be to their disadvantage. Ultimately, you're looking at how the other players behave to decide if you can trust them. I don't think it would be worth the effort put in by the one MC'ing it here.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-night/id728175611

Yup and it's free! It MCs for you and sets a timer for determining the WW, so everyone can play.

Odd. The card game rules allowed everyone to play. There was an "Announcer" that calls the round and blindly fumbles with the cards to make sure it isn't obvious which cards have been messed with, but you still play a player role as the Announcer.

I had the opportunity to play Pandemic the other night. I think we did a simplified version or easy mode? Maybe it was simplified rules or the fact that we were all dead tired (it was two in the morning at that point, I think?), but I wasn't particularly impressed. I've been finding more and more often with cooperative games that it's very common for one player to determine the strategy for all of the players. The same issue came up with a group of my friends that were playing Descent.

Has that been a general issue for anyone else?

On 2/16/2017 at 0:05 AM, Shattered Rift said:

I had the opportunity to play Pandemic the other night. I think we did a simplified version or easy mode? Maybe it was simplified rules or the fact that we were all dead tired (it was two in the morning at that point, I think?), but I wasn't particularly impressed. I've been finding more and more often with cooperative games that it's very common for one player to determine the strategy for all of the players. The same issue came up with a group of my friends that were playing Descent.

Has that been a general issue for anyone else?

I have never been a fan of Pandemic. Co-op games are a great concept, but every time I played Pandemic, the most vocal person ends up being the leader and telling people what to do (much like your situation) instead of everyone offering a healthy discussion or debate onto our next steps (no matter what group or chemistry the group has). I have played one of the sequels of Pandemic (Pandemic: The Cure), and I have liked it a bit more, but still not my favorite franchise of co-op games.

If you are looking for better co-ops, I highly recommend the Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert series. Every group (either basic or intense Euro-strategy folks) I have played with gets into it and the replayability is quite high. It's fairly easy to understand with medium strategy, but the game always ends up more difficult than it appears. Also, much more discussion tends to happen than a leader arising. Yeah, it does sometimes still happens, but I find it less often with this series.

If you like co-ops with a little bit more story and RPGs, I have liked Mice and Mystics. It reminds me of the Redwall book series and the story is pretty cute. Betrayal at the House on the Hill isn't too shabby either.

There's also a new set of much, much intense co-ops that remind me a bit more "escape room" feeling with a series of solving many clues, I have liked T.I.M.E Stories a lot. Because it is a bunch of puzzles, once you solve it once, you can't play that version of it again. But, our board game network in my area have enough people buying different versions that we exchange it each time.

ETA: Also, Burgle Bros is pretty fun. Multi-layered dynamic game (physically). Replayability was medium-low, personally.

Edited by Zilary

Star, myself, and a mutual friend got through Pandemic: Legacy in the space of a month, playing for about 8 hours every Wednesday. We did poorly, if you go by the score at the end, but we also needlessly handicapped ourselves by playing (or attempting to play) the same characters every time, ignoring the changing landscape. We basically turned it into a mini-RPG and had a blast anyway.

Personally, I really like the idea of legacy games. For those who don't know, a legacy game is a game that changes each time you play it - changing rules, adding rules, taking away rules, ripping up cards, adding stickers to the game board, adding stickers to cards, et cetera; actual physical changes to the game itself. The end result means it's hard to play the same game twice, but the fact that the game customizes and changes itself along with the players playing it makes it really fascinating to me as a game genre. I'm looking to pick up Gloomhaven next (Star, the mutual, and myself tend to gravitate towards co-operative games).

On 2/20/2017 at 8:41 AM, Zilary said:

Betrayal at the House on the Hill isn't too shabby either.

I finally got to play BatHotH a month or so back. The round went pretty quickly, and unfortunately one of us had to leave and I had plans to go dancing, so we didn't get to make a second round. I didn't really manage to develop an opinion one way or the other about it.

Traj, what kinds of things change with Legacy?

Also, apparently I didn't mention either of these points earlier... I backed the Kickstarter for Deep Madness. Mostly because I love me some miniatures in my games, and of course the Lovecraftian theme gets me. Did anyone else back it?

Lastly, Joking Hazard is amazing. It's like a better Cards Against Humanity. Not sure if this picture will hotlink to people who aren't friended with me on Facebook, but...

15032841_10154631161604705_1913933503621

On 3/28/2017 at 3:12 AM, Shattered Rift said:

Lastly, Joking Hazard is amazing. It's like a better Cards Against Humanity. Not sure if this picture will hotlink to people who aren't friended with me on Facebook, but...

That is awesome. And, yes, it works for those of us who don't put our faces in books.

Played Codenames: Deep Undercover with my cousins. It was nice to have a "dirty" card game (a la Cards Against Humanity) that was competitively charged via teams. Still loses or to Joking Hazard in my book, though.