Shattered Rift

Werewolf Hosting and MCing

So you want to host a Werewolf game?

There are a few requirements to be able to host a game on Sparkbomb.

• You must have at least 30 posts.
  • You must have played at least one Werewolf game.
  • You must have a game prepared to host.

Both the post and playing requirements may be exempted at the discretion of the Staff member running this thread. (Shattered Rift is currently the Staff member running this thread.) For example, anyone who was active and hosted a game here on Sparkbomb before the forum software update will probably be considered eligible to host and allowed an exemption from these requirements.

If you have met these requirements and would like to host, please make a post in this thread saying as much. Once you have been added to the Hosting Calendar (found at the bottom of this post), hosts will generally be contacted in the order they applied. Please note: After you have hosted, you will be removed from the Hosting Calendar. If you would like to host another game, you will need to sign up again.

If this is your first time hosting, the Staff member running this thread will help you by going over your game design with you. (Shattered Rift is currently the Staff member running this thread.) It is highly recommended that you stick with a basic game design for your first go at MCing (including one baddie team, plain innocents, and a minimum number of roles). MCing can be very demanding, and having a strong grasp of game mechanics is essential. Some newbie MCs have become overwhelmed by trying to run a game of intermediate complexity without realizing how essential it was to understand power priority (the order things happen in and how that affects submitted lists). Some newbie MCs have also become overwhelmed by the number of game-related PMs they have had to respond to. You're going to do fine hosting your first game, but we want to make sure that you haven't overlooked anything.

MCs responsibilities and privileges include the following:

• Werewolf games must follow the Community Rules. Staff members may intervene in a Werewolf game if one of these rules is broken. Their intervention should only be to enforce the rules.
  • Werewolf games must follow the rules outlined in the Werewolf Introduction and Gameplay. The guidelines listed in that thread will also be followed unless the MC states otherwise in the game thread.
  • In addition to these, an MC may establish additional rules of his/her choosing. These rules will also be enforced.
  • Werewolf MCs may disallow specific members from participating in their games.
  • Werewolf MCs may modkill a player who is misbehaving in the game. (Modkilling is where the MC kills a player independently of game mechanics, usually replacing them with a backup player.)

MCs are expected to use these privileges prudently. Cases of abuse or perceived abuse should be brought to the attention of the Staff member running this thread (and may additionally be brought to the administration).

---

Hosting Calendar (edited by NPM on 1/28)

Neopetsmom (Recurring)

Blacjak

Clucky

Sinical

Cel (deferred until probably mid-April)

InuyashaOhki (recurring)(no set time set)

Edited by Neopetsmom

Hmm, I'll host a game if I can get a min of 10 players. There's a new role I want to try out.

Edited by Sinical

I'll host a game. It'll be based on the Planeswalkers of Magic The Gathering. There will be more roles then players, and I'll also be using a daily planeswalk mechanic to change certain rules on random days (IE, double damage, lists randomized, etc. as effects that target everyone).

EDIT: Also, there will be no rules in my game that prevent any form of lying. The only exception to absolute freedom of lying is that you can not quote me directly or indirectly.

This means for example;

If you're good at photoshop feel free to forge a private or instant message between yourself and another player.

Quote another person without their permission.

Falsely quote another person without their permission.

Any other underhanded tactic you can think of.

Edited by Zen

I'm pretty much available whenever.  I have thoughts for my next game.  But trying to decide between a couple of options so will describe in more when I do sign ups.  (I do know it won't have any rezzes this time....)

Can always fill in if you need someone.  And, if someone signs up after me who hasn't hosted since I last hosted always feel free to take them first.

I'd like to host again (it's less stressful for me than playing). It's mostly a head concept right now, but if there's no one yet hosting after Blacjak...

Hm, I should probably actually post in this thread instead of quietly updating the list each time someone applies.

As several of you know by this point, Traj will be hosting the game following All-Stars. The exact order after that is still to-be-determined. Franc PMed me about hosting. Celairiel's application has been accepted (but her game isn't fully prepared yet). Inu's application has been accepted.

I'm applying for Forte and myself without asking him because he's slow.

Accepted.

Also, I'll probably update this thread with additional requirements later, but if prospective MCs have player limits or the like for their games (such as Inu), please mention them. I'm still debating different options to the hosting schedule, such as having two games run concurrently, and additional information might help me to figure out how to go about this. (For example, both Inu's and Cel's games will likely be player light. One way to go about the two concurrent games might be to have a "primary" Werewolf game (the usual however many people sign up as want to, or having a higher number of allowed players, or whatever) and "secondary" Werewolf game (a smaller, quicker game as caused by less players being allowed to sign up). That's just a tentative idea at this point. More on this discussion can be found in the Werewolf Mechanics thread. Or I might post a thread at some point to discuss how to go about things in this regard. (I'd prefer if this thread remained focused on MC signups.)

Mine is definitely designed to be relatively small and quick. I finished mapping it out just before applying. I have everything I need to run it whenever you want to put me on the calendar after I get back from Tulsa. I don't mind being the secondary game.

I have another idea for a Doctor Who reversal themed one I'll apply for after the Asylum Lethe game ends. If you know early Doctor Who, the Doctor hid in a Dalek casing once to avoid getting caught, and before that a companion did the same. Seems like a perfect premise for the Daleks as the innocent team. :)

Also, I'll probably update this thread with additional requirements later, but if prospective MCs have player limits or the like for their games (such as Inu), please mention them. I'm still debating different options to the hosting schedule, such as having two games run concurrently, and additional information might help me to figure out how to go about this. (For example, both Inu's and Cel's games will likely be player light. One way to go about the two concurrent games might be to have a "primary" Werewolf game (the usual however many people sign up as want to, or having a higher number of allowed players, or whatever) and "secondary" Werewolf game (a smaller, quicker game as caused by less players being allowed to sign up). That's just a tentative idea at this point. More on this discussion can be found in the Werewolf Mechanics thread. Or I might post a thread at some point to discuss how to go about things in this regard. (I'd prefer if this thread remained focused on MC signups.)

Forte and I need more people so we can kill more people.

I'd love a co host for mine. I see it being around 35 players, but would really appreciate someone helping me with night, while I write the stories, as its the admin that's physically had for me these days (having chiro just now).

I'd love a co host for mine. I see it being around 35 players, but would really appreciate someone helping me with night, while I write the stories, as its the admin that's physically had for me these days (having chiro just now).

Let me know what you need. I may be able to help process night actions for you.

It is really great to see people signing up to host.  These look a lot of fun to play in.  I already know what I'm planning to do for my next game. While I was preparing for this game I game across a mechanic in my old games (inside v. outside) and thought it might be fun to revisit it with some of the newer mechanics.  But, that's not going to be for awhile (I will want to go to a resort for real when I get done).

I would like to throw my name into the hat for MCing a game. I have a new concept that I want to try out that would hopefully add strategic depth to the game. Unfortunately, given my work schedule, the earliest I can do so would probably be October.

So I don't get bumped too far down the list, I'd like to apply now. I'll probably have some new game idea in a week or so. I already have a bunch of stuff I've been thinking about but don't have a theme ready for the story yet.

You've been added to the list, Blacjak.

As a point of clarification to everyone, I tend to go down the list (in order) when it's time for a new game. Given that we have eight people signed up, and if we assume games take two weeks to complete, we're looking at a potential four months of scheduled Werewolf. I don't expect us to actually last that long with the current list (things come up, people lose interest, other things go awry), but the possibility exists. On the other hand, if it becomes necessary to host multiple games simultaneously (or somesuch), the list might be gone through more quickly. I point this out primarily to make it clear that anyone who signs up at this point could be waiting until October (or later) to be able to host their game.

I've been thinking of a game but the only way it can happen is if I have a partner. Pretty much the responsibility is split. I take care of the mechanics, PMs, and results while the other person takes care of the plot, housekeeping, and vote tally. My intention is to swoop in at night, do the mechanics, post the results, and have my partner do the rest of the work. I can also do the other way around if someone is interested, though I'd prefer to just check in once a day. 

I'm not sure I follow wanting to be an MC when you only want to check on your game once per day o.o

I'm guessing the main motivation for MCs to be MCs is to design a game that works well and everybody likes it. For the people. Having two people can be fun when you work together. I also think once a day is a healthy number actually... in terms of time management. In my last game I only checked in for vote tally, and then night/day results. With the exception of the first day, nobody really had much questions about the game itself and it sorted ran seamlessly so I could do that. Now with two people, I'd imagine that would be extra extra insurance.

edit: I just saw how long the list is so please delete my interest from here. :P

Edited by Bed