Sign in to follow this  
Zen

Magic: The Gathering

Thread for Anything Magic related.

So, Magic. I'm currently playing a Red splash white for standard on Cockatrice. Much fun, very win.

I'm putting together a black devo/splash green standard deck, but I'm having trouble getting ahold of certain cards. It's a bit frustrating.

In other news, I have a newfound love for Commander.

I play a R/U Instant & sorcery deck built around Young pyromancer, guttersnipe, and spellheart chimera. It's in legacy so I get bowled over by my friends who play broke stuff like landfall, dredge, persist, and merfolk. But I have fun

I play a R/U Instant & sorcery deck built around Young pyromancer, guttersnipe, and spellheart chimera. It's in legacy so I get bowled over by my friends who play broke stuff like landfall, dredge, persist, and merfolk. But I have fun

I play 4x Young Pyromancers in my Standard deck :D.

Also, for reference to why birds are so sweet. 2 killspells are dropped on them, my turn comes around. I play Chandra Pyromaster, ping for one, get 2 cards back from GY. That's 4 mana to do all that, insane. Following turn replay birds and ride to victory with a shock in hand re revive either or both of them in the event he has any more removal.

So I'm entering a pairs tournament at the end of the month and my partner is set on running a Felidar Sovereign Deck because we start at 30 life.

I want to build a Stuffy Doll/ Souls of the Faultless deck to reflect damage getting him closer to his wincon for us and providing damage if it falls through.

The rules are as such

40 card deck

$50 max card value limit ( Basic lands don't count towards it)

Only 3 copies of any one card can be run.

My decklist currently looks like

2x Stuffy Doll. 2x guilty conscience

3x Souls of the Faultless. 2x pariah

2x Simulcrum. 2x Martyrdom

2x Holy Day 3x Valor made Real

6x Swamp. 8x Plains

2x Temple of Silence / Isolated Chapel.

I'm not sure what else to run or what needs to be gotten rid of.

Many of you are much better deck builders than I and I humbly seek your wisdom oh Elder Plainswalkers.

*necro*

MTG is my latest addiction. Just bought into Abzan Megamorph because it turns out that Siege Rhino is a good card.

So apparently there's a new Mulligan rule being beta tested(?) at some large event(s?) where any player that mulligans gets to Scry 1 before the game starts (but after they decide to keep a mulled hand).

Yeah the new mulligan rule is going to be piloted at Pro Tour Origins before going "live". I like alleviating a little of the "draw well or lose" pressure on a player after mulling to 5 or less cards.

I got into Magic almost a year ago. My friends talked me into the 2015 core set prerelease, I got a shiny piece of cardboard and now I've spend by my calculation too much money on cards.

i spent a decent chunk (hey josh!), But now i just sell cards to buy new ones *shrugs*

I love the new mulligan rule. I think its huge. theres another if you draw an extra card for any reason during the game you lose rule. I like that too

I stopped playing MtG on paper in lieue of playing on Cockatrice. The investment vs return on the game just isn't enough to justify it to me. Though I do have a current standard Jeskai tokens/combo deck that got top 3 several times with before the last set of Khans came out. The deck was the most skill intensive technical perfect deck I've ever played and it certainly made me a much better player when it comes to sequencing and identifying perfect timing windows that no other deck has ever managed to accomplish for me.

Instead I play Commander once in a blue moon, recent favorite play was in a 4p game I was getting attacked, and had my Cranial Plating on my first striker blocking his stuff and a small 1/1 or so blocking another of his big attackers, after first strike damage I switched the equipment to the chump blocker and ended up killing both his beaters, people were like "holy ###### didn't realize you could do that."

I stopped playing MtG on paper in lieue of playing on Cockatrice. The investment vs return on the game just isn't enough to justify it to me.

Gotta get better at makin' 'dem trades, bruh. I still hold that any card game with a decent metagame should at least pay itself off. (Of course, Magic was the only one I didn't achieve it with. But considering I didn't sell things when I should have, and I tossed you that Snapcaster instead of hanging onto it... I missed at least two chances to break even if I'd been a little bit smarter.)

I was getting attacked, and had my Cranial Plating on my first striker blocking his stuff and a small 1/1 or so blocking another of his big attackers, after first strike damage I switched the equipment to the chump blocker and ended up killing both his beaters, people were like "holy shit didn't realize you could do that."

This was the thing that stuck out to me the most while playing Magic a couple years back. It seems like a lot of players aren't aware of various game mechanics (not quite to the same degree as Yu-Gi-Oh! players, maybe, but it was surprising how many people playing in a tournament didn't know various things).

I was watching Kmeggs (Kit) play the X-Bone Magic game today. He was getting stomped, and then I started telling him what to do so he wouldn't lose. And then he won. It was pretty entertaining, solely because I thought he had screwed up too much to pull out a win.

Edited by Shattered Rift

Trading in magic to break even is next to impossible if you have anything to do with Standard. Rotating format kills value on 95% of cards after 1.5 years. Thankfully Commander is around to retain value on some over the top cards. I find it funny I have playsets of commons that are worth multiple dollars now though. I probably could 'cash out' so to speak and make back every cent I spent in Magic, but that would take a lot more effort that I just can't find myself willing to make.

First of all at Zen, i am a casual player and i make a profit easy. sure its because i sunk a lot of money into this across the last 3 years. But now i dont have to anymore

First thing you do is, you buy pre-release stuff. I am not sure why but the chance of planeswalkers and mythics just is a lot better. So i put idk 50-100 dollars in a prelease set. I EASILY easily easily make 100. All that takes is 2-3 cards. 

Now, you cant sell to a store or a site they only want 50%. I sell to ebay, list at 50%, try to get 75%. 

I make 75% all the time. then i have my money back... 

But wait theres more. I didnt even put 50-100 dollars up to start. because of my old collection here I just sell 3-5 cards i have sitting in commander decks. Or just floating still because I couldnt sell them for the 75% i wanted. So i just settle when a new set comes out. sell a handful of cards. and boom. i get 50-100 dollars worth of magic, that i didn't spend cash for. and then i say if i get a box got 36 packs for 100 dollars. I sold 5 cards to get back to 100. I now have 31 packs that i still have some medium priced rares for. I make playsets when im bored and i sell playset lands, playset uncommons, anything when i need some more money. 

I and another guy share all our magic cards 50-50. So i have 23 decks and 4 commander decks. he has 18 decks and 6 commander decks. And i havent payed a single dollar on magic for over a year now. 

EDIT: The key is, buy pre-release stuff. Sell right away when everything has value. Keep an eye on your cards that go up over time. Sell playsets when you need a bit more for something. 

Every once in awhile like now, theres a into the vault set, angels. And there was modern masters. I normally split those with my friend and we make bank off it. 

Edited by Ekul

Ohh making a profit as a casual player is fine, but if you plan on playing competitively, that's a 300 dollar standard deck minimum. Not only that, it is another 150+ once a year to keep the deck relevant, assuming the archtype isn't decimated. So just to keep a competitive tier one deck you need to, through trading, make a net profit of 150 dollars a year, this is not counting purchased product or cost of tournament play.

Speaking of decimated. I have a relevant story that happened to me, that started my slow decline of paper magic. It was during INN block, so Mirrodin 2 block was also in standard. I was running a White-Blue huamsn tribal deck, and would consistently wreck players into top 3 spots. Then Avacyn Restored came out and my deck went from t1 to unplayable, because of Bonfire of the Damned. My 300 dollar pimped out with many foils and promos immediately went to maybe 70 dollars. Sure miracles were fun, but it was bullcrap they nerfed a fair deck when Snapcaster was still crapping over everything but decks like mine (since I could out-tempo them and get in fatties under counterspells).

Edited by Zen